Thread: Bad smell from heater/AC in my 2008 E91

My Cars
    2008 E91 320i m-sport

Bad smell from heater/AC in my 2008 E91

Hi folks.
    I have a problem with a bad smell that comes from the heater or AC in my 2008 E91 320i. It smells like cowshit and it appears from tme to time.
    I have tried AC cleaner but it didn't help. I took out the microfilter/carbonfilter and tried to locate the smell from it, but I couldn't smell anything from it. Have ordered a new one anyway.
    Is there someone that have an idea what it is and how to get rid of it?

My Cars
    z3
    Once the cabin filters are replaced it should go away

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1995 BMW 318i Sedan
    Cabin air filter
    1995 318i Stock

My Cars
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ*)
    Replacing the cabin air filter does not always remedy the problem. It's a common issue in e46's and is a result of mildew that builds up inside the ducts from moisture getting stuck inside while using the A/C. A few members have solved the problem by spraying a cleaner/disinfectant or something of the sorts in the exterior intake part of the vents. Remove the air filter turn the fans on high (with all your windows open) and spray vigorously.

There is a DIY on it I believe, google, e46 duct smell fix or something of the sort.

My Cars
    2008 E91 320i m-sport
    Thanks! I hope it will.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by spoonerDee View Post
    Replacing the cabin air filter does not always remedy the problem. It's a common issue in e46's and is a result of mildew that builds up inside the ducts from moisture getting stuck inside while using the A/C. A few members have solved the problem by spraying a cleaner/disinfectant or something of the sorts in the exterior intake part of the vents. Remove the air filter turn the fans on high (with all your windows open) and spray vigorously.

There is a DIY on it I believe, google, e46 duct smell fix or something of the sort.
    I suspected it could be something like that. I will follow your advice. Thanks!

My Cars
    2008 E91 320i m-sport
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Thanks!

My Cars
    2008 E91 320i m-sport
    Lets hope it will. It smells like a farm.

My Cars
    z3
    If the cabin air filter doesnt fix it, spooner touched on what the real problem could be - mildew buildup in the HVAC system. More common in damp/humid conditions.

If that is the issue, I wouldnt try to DIY it. There are professional tools companies can use to "fog" the HVAC system, sort of like bug bombing a house only on a much smaller scale.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    bmw i3
    Usually it's mold buildup because condensation from the A/C isn't able to drain adequately(sp?). You live in a very cool and wet climate, and to be honest I can't see how you would every drive the car w/out the A/C running. The smell will disappear after you've run the heat + A/C for awhile..

My Cars
    2008 E91 320i m-sport
    If the cabin air filter doesnt fix it, spooner touched on what the real problem could be - mildew buildup in the HVAC system. More common in damp/humid conditions.

If that is the issue, I wouldnt try to DIY it. There are professional tools companies can use to "fog" the HVAC system, sort of like bug bombing a house only on a much smaller scale.
    I think I have to rely on professionals then.
    Thanks for your advice.

My Cars
    2008 E91 320i m-sport
    Hope so. Thanks.

My Cars
    2008 E91 320i m-sport
    Quote Originally Posted by spoonerDee View Post

Have ordered some different products as foam and disinfectant spray. Thanks.

My Cars
    2008 E91 320i m-sport
    Quote Originally Posted by lalitv74 View Post
    Usually it's mold buildup because condensation from the A/C isn't able to drain adequately(sp?). You live in a very cool and wet climate, and to be honest I can't see how you would every drive the car w/out the A/C running. The smell will disappear after you've run the heat + A/C for awhile..
    Shall I use the heater and the AC at the same time.
    Thanks

My Cars
    '15 I01Rex , '11F25
    Running the a/c with the heat on helps to keep the windows defrosted. You also must make sure the drain for the a/c evaporator is not pinched or clogged, usually accessed from underneath the car. We use a system from Wynn's to disinfect the vent system. We also use a product called "frigi fresh" in mild cases. It also helps to keep the car smelling fresh as a daisy but limiting human methane output.

My Cars
    2008 E91 320i m-sport
    Quote Originally Posted by ptarditi View Post
    Running the a/c with the heat on helps to keep the windows defrosted. You also must make sure the drain for the a/c evaporator is not pinched or clogged, usually accessed from underneath the car. We use a system from Wynn's to disinfect the vent system. We also use a product called "frigi fresh" in mild cases. It also helps to keep the car smelling fresh as a daisy but limiting human methane output.
    That Wynn's looks like the one from Wurth called Vapomat. $400 here in Norway.