Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking at first bmw. What to look for?

My Cars
    98 legacy gt limited

Looking at first bmw.325xi 02 What to look for?

Going to look at my first bmw
    325xi
    150k mi(Sounds like a lot, but I have never owned a car under 175k mi!)lol
    Black

Family friend, said he has done all maintenance, said all miles are highway, car looks showroom apparently. Like no one has ever sat in the back seat. His wife's car. Also going to take it in for a tune up and w.e to have it checked over.

He said he was going to put it on CL for 4500. KBB says excellent condition 4,200 very good 3,900. Printed that out gonna bring it with me. So I was thinking after he sees that being that he is a good family friend he will drop price to around 4k.

Is this a good price for an excellent condition 325xi?

Any known issues with these cars I should look for?
    Also I am a pretty decent mechanic so any repairs will be done by me so cost of labor is not an issue.

Just wondering if there are any known things I should check for!

Thanks everyone!
    Last edited by Toallhisdoom; 03-11-2014 at 03:04 PM.

My Cars
    98 legacy gt limited
    Really? No one has any tips?

My Cars
    2020 Mercedes S560

323i E30 is offline ⅂!ʈө !ƨ l!ʞө ɐ ʇөlөbµouө
    My Cars
    M52 E30 touring & E91
    Quote Originally Posted by Toallhisdoom View Post
    Really? No one has any tips?
    Never buy cars from friends..
    ^ true story

D̶i̶b̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶E̶2̶1̶

My Cars
    98 legacy gt limited
    Not really a "friend". I am 24, the couple are friends with my aunt and uncle. They are in their 50s. So family friend.

My Cars
    z3
    Family friends are even worse

I always imagine the family gets together and sits down, talks about if they want to be friends with X anymore. If they dont care, they will agree to sell X their car knowing that while the car is fine now, it will explode in a few months, and all your relationship with X will be is friendly waves from a safe distance.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Have your aunt & uncle warn them,DON'T SELL MY NEPHEW A LEMON OR ELSE!!

My Cars
    98 legacy gt limited
    I was looking for things more along the lines of.....Yea the 325xi series had issuies with x and y and you should check those over!

but thanks....

My Cars
    99 528i 15 Corvette Z51
    I prefer the 330, is it automatic? The 5hp19 has problems with the reverse gear. Look at the receipts, look for a cooling system change. Have it inspected.
    My 528 is a German Tank..
    My 2008 Chihuahua is Blue deal with it
    Always teaching now getting paid for it.

My Cars
    2003 325i
    Check what receipts they have for repairs. Cooling system is one of the biggest fault areas. I bought mine at 94k miles and immediately replaced it all.

If it's a friend of family, see is they'd be willing to let you drive it for a weekend maybe so you'd have an opportunity to drive/evaluate it in a lot of different situations, take it to a mechanic who specializes in BMWs to have it checked out etc.

My Cars
    98 legacy gt limited
    It is automatic yes. I will ask about receipts. Going to check it out Monday. What goes wrong with the cooling systems? Radiator clog? Or water pumps blow?

My Cars
    98 legacy gt limited
    She is getting all the maintenance records today. 1 ownder car. The car needs tires. And has some minor rear wheel well rust. Other then that it is very nice. Drives and handles amazing. Pretty peppy. Sport and winter packages. 173m miles tho.

Is 4k worth it?

My Cars
    2003 325i
    I don't like rust, so it wouldn't be worth it TO ME. And I personally don't like mileage that high, although if properly maintained, these cars can go a long time. But if those things are not a deal-breaker for you, could be a decent deal.

The cooling systems are known to fail on this era of the 3 Series (E46)... water pump has a plastic impeller, expansion tank apparently has some sort of poor design where (I think?) a certain area of it is prone to succumb to pressure and then leaking. The problem is not always necessarily just leaking... if the water pump quits working, the temp can quickly rise--maybe before you know it, and then you could be looking at engine damage. And, if something happens and you do lose your coolant, these engines have relatively small volume of coolant in them, so again, could take the engine with it.

Most enthusiasts recommend completely changing out the entire cooling system, because if you just (for instance) do the water pump, next thing you know the hoses and / or expansion tank is failing. I resisted at first, but when I had the water pump and hoses done, and then a week later the expansion tank failed... I said screw it and had them do the rest of the cooling system. I'm not a 'do-it-yourselfer' so the $ were pretty steep for me, but ultimately I have a nice car that I've got about $11k in, and all the maintenance has been caught up. I prefer it to driving a new Accord-- and for half the cost

Good luck!

My Cars
    1995 BMW 318i Sedan
    Front CV joints, makes sure not clicking or torn boots.

Moisture under rear mats, clogged water drains

Valve cover,

Otherwise a sold car, we have same year 325xi with 65xxxkms on it and it's great
    1995 318i Stock

My Cars
    98 legacy gt limited
    I honestly loveeeedddddd driving it! Its the sport model so has the tiptronic shifter. Handled amazinggggly! Just the rust really breaks my heart. Maybe ill have it fixed. Or fix it myself. Have done a little body work before.

Car was silent. No clicks ticks knocks or anything.

It did have creamy goop on the oil cap. They are going to have a leak down test done today. And oil change.

They say it has been sitting a lot lately. And that they never have to top off the coolant. So I am assuming its condensation from sitting and only short rides.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 318i Sedan
    The goop on the oil cap is not a good sign, it means that the oil probably wasn't changed frequently enough and is a real pita to get rid of that
    1995 318i Stock

My Cars
    98 legacy gt limited
    They said changed every 7k mi. And from what ive read its from sitting and only short drives not allowing the engine to warm up enough to evaporate the moisture out of the engine. Waiting to hear from the mechanic. Its being looked at on wednesday.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 318i Sedan
    It all depends how bad it is I guess, hopefully not too bad
    1995 318i Stock

323i E30 is offline ⅂!ʈө !ƨ l!ʞө ɐ ʇөlөbµouө
    My Cars
    M52 E30 touring & E91
    They said changed every 7k mi. And from what ive read its from sitting and only short drives not allowing the engine to warm up enough to evaporate the moisture out of the engine. Waiting to hear from the mechanic. Its being looked at on wednesday.
    Don't worry if the oil is ok. Moist happens.
    ^ true story

D̶i̶b̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶E̶2̶1̶

My Cars
    2003 325i
    ^^Interesting... I would have thought that might be indicative of a serious problem. Glad it drives/feels right... hope it works out for you Toall!

My Cars
    98 legacy gt limited
    Well compared to my 98 legacy gt its amazingggg! Hopefully thr mechanic clears it

My Cars
    1995 BMW 318i Sedan
    It definitely should not be sludgy, which is usually due to excessive moisture, oil type, and oil breaking down. Just make sure you get the right information before you buy a car that could hurt you in the long run
    1995 318i Stock

My Cars
    & Bikes
    I honestly loveeeedddddd driving it! Its the sport model so has the tiptronic shifter. Handled amazinggggly! Just the rust really breaks my heart. Maybe ill have it fixed. Or fix it myself. Have done a little body work before.

Car was silent. No clicks ticks knocks or anything.

It did have creamy goop on the oil cap. They are going to have a leak down test done today. And oil change.

They say it has been sitting a lot lately. And that they never have to top off the coolant. So I am assuming its condensation from sitting and only short rides.
    If the goop is yellow colored it is mostlikely from condensation/moisture in the engine. Id wonder if the oil seperator has been changed ever.

The cooling system is a nothing. Its normal and i wouldnt say they are flawed in any way as many enthusiasts do. I would do the whole system for peace of mind. As cooling system failure can be a major hassle.

The transfer case and axles are expensive. I would check both of those and the diffs for any signs of leaks.

Check to see all recalls have been performed.

Look up electrosys in relation to bmws. As many off warranty cars stray from dealers and oem products aswell.

If you get a compression and leak down test done. Ask for the data as it can tell more of a story than it is good or bad.

An alignment would be a good idea aswell and it might shed some light on suspension wear. Or to see if anything is tweaked.

Good luck.

My Cars
    98 legacy gt limited
    Yea it was yellowish. So pretty sure it is condensation. She had her mechanic look at it today and he said the car is sound mechanically. No idea what he looked at. Gonna go look it over more myself tonight.

My Cars
    z3
    Ive noticed a pattern with this, where I dont understand why people get "hung up" on cars in these sorts of situations.

The fact is, there are tons of E46s for sale. How come only once their neighbor (or in-law, friend, etc) sells one do they want to buy it - then get stuck on that one model? Sludge under oil cap? Nah, I should ignore this physical evidence of engine neglect in favor of trusting word of mouth from someone who at the end of the day is trying to sell their car. Its so much better than my current car, I just have to have it, screw all the evidence saying I shouldnt and forgot the tons of other E46s out there for better prices in better condition. I just HAVE to buy this one because the owners of it happen to live in close proximity to me and treat me with a modicum of respect, plus now if I back out my neighbor will think I am a flake!

And did you just say that HER mechanic cleared it? You know YOU need to have a mechanic who is unaffiliated with her look at it, right? Otherwise, HER mechanic has more incentive to keep her as a customer then he does to be honest with you. Of course her mechanic will say its sound!

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast