Thread: Side View Mirror Glass Replacement (Heated).

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)

Side View Mirror Glass Replacement (Heated).

A common ailment for the E39 heated side view mirror is a problem created by a failure of the external (ambient) temperature sensor. Whether due to sensor decapitation or electronics fault, this issue causes the heated mirrors to default to "on" even in balmy conditions. The result is a brown, burnt condition around the edges of the mirror. The solution is to purchase replacement glass and DIY.

Here's the result of the problem.

Remove the adulterated mirror by tilting the mirror inward as far as it will go and pry the mirror off with gentle but firm pressure until it pops off.

Once removed, you'll see how the wires are connected to the mirror.

Wiggle the connectors off using a gentle back and forth motion.

New mirror.

Reconnect the wires.

Pop the mirror back into place. Be careful to make sure the mirror is aligned correctly for seating.

End results. A clean, new look.

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    Nice job Bro...looks new again!

'00 540iA Sport w/235k+ Original TCG's, Vanos and transmission.​*Trans failure at 244k+...FS Now

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Quote Originally Posted by ViolinARC View Post
    Nice job Bro...looks new again!
    Thanks. It's been bugging me.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    How do you know if you have a heated side mirror? Just pop them out and see for those two wires? My driver side mirror has that little burning patch to the sides.

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Quote Originally Posted by auaq View Post
    How do you know if you have a heated side mirror? Just pop them out and see for those two wires?
    That's one way. Another is to plug the last 7 digits of your VIN or your car's production date and specifics in at realoem.com and check.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Yeah, I could've done that but was too lazy to open another tab, type in last seven, and keep on searching .... Was hoping to simply pop off the mirror and confirm, but now you have made me do some work.

So, if you have heated side mirrors does that mean it only comes with heated seats and or heated steering wheel?

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i Sport
    Just a tip for those that are thinking about doing this:

1. Be sure to get the correct mirror (driver mirror is flat in order to judge proper distance while passenger is aspherical to gain a wider field of view), but either one can be installed. Just be aware.
    2. I'd order the Euro Aspherical mirrors if I was going to replace. OEM is best. I got some cheap Chinese knock offs and the glass fell off of it when the temps fell below zero.... My brother was lucky though and his are perfect. Go figure.

Heated mirrors are pretty much standard. Absolutely no relation to heated seats (Cold Weather Package) or the 4 prong (boat) heated steering wheel.
    Last edited by BavarianE31; 03-04-2014 at 02:12 AM.

My Cars
    '01 540i6, '03 X5 4.6is
    Great DIY.

Mods, please move this to DIY section so we don't lose. :-)
    2001 Aspen Silver 540i6 - 180k mi - 3" DUDMD Tune, aFe Intake, M60 Intake Manifold, Eibach Anti-Sway Bars (F&R), e60 SSK

My Cars
    99 540it Wagon
    awesome! my driver side mirror has burnt edges as well. nice to know they may be heated.

My Cars
    too many
    I replaced mine with the European e39 mirrors (they are tinted blue for glare, heated, and convex at the outer edge)

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E39-540...rors/ES251460/

Function wise, they are WAY better than the American ones.... and they don't have the writing that tells you to be careful for cars in the mirror!

The best part is, no more blind spot! (i had a blind spot problem before doing this changeup)

- - - Updated - - -

PS if you look at RealOEM, they show all the different mirrors for the different continents... I tried to order the middle eastern passenger side because it had cool-looking middle eastern writing on it but dealer told me they are not allowed to order that one
    Last edited by fullthrottle540; 03-04-2014 at 12:29 PM.

My Cars
    2018 M3 6MT, 2001 740iL
    That looks easy enough. Thanks. Got the same junk on my mirrors. I'll be doing this shortly I think.

You mentioned they overcook due to the sensor misreading and keeping them heated all the time. Is the sensor in the glass, or something central, connected to the ambient air temp sensor? Point is, will the new heated glass get cooked in time as well?

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by BavarianE31 View Post
    2. I'd order the Euro Aspherical mirrors if I was going to replace. OEM is best. I got some cheap Chinese knock offs and the glass fell off of it when the temps fell below zero.... My brother was lucky though and his are perfect. Go figure.
    Put me in yer bro's category - I got the Taiwanese reps for my M5 mirrors and they've been great. Heated but not auto-dim. Inexpensive but Euro-aspherical. I posted a thread about 'em someplace, would recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by fullthrottle540 View Post
    I replaced mine with the European e39 mirrors (they are tinted blue for glare, heated, and convex at the outer edge)

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E39-540...rors/ES251460/

Function wise, they are WAY better than the American ones.... and they don't have the writing that tells you to be careful for cars in the mirror!

The best part is, no more blind spot! (i had a blind spot problem before doing this changeup)

- - - Updated - - -

PS if you look at RealOEM, they show all the different mirrors for the different continents... I tried to order the middle eastern passenger side because it had cool-looking middle eastern writing on it but dealer told me they are not allowed to order that one
    Those are the good ones, nice. I didn't mind the 540 blind spot too much before the M5 mirrors though, the M5 USA mirrors are criminally negligent in how bad they are... those REALLY benefit from the Euro style aspheres.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    too many
    Not sure how the BMW is wired up, but I know that my Infiniti only heats the mirrors when you use rear defrost...

But then again, that would be too simple for BMW... i wouldn't be surprised if it was in fact hooked up to the ambient sensor through the main computer
    Last edited by fullthrottle540; 03-04-2014 at 01:08 PM.

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    Quote Originally Posted by agentrnge View Post
    That looks easy enough. Thanks. Got the same junk on my mirrors. I'll be doing this shortly I think.

You mentioned they overcook due to the sensor misreading and keeping them heated all the time. Is the sensor in the glass, or something central, connected to the ambient air temp sensor? Point is, will the new heated glass get cooked in time as well?

Its the ambient temp sensor under the front bumper.

My old driver mirror did the brown edge thing as well, but my ambient temp sensor was always working, so they can become de-silvered by age too.

I did the Euro mirrors on both sides. Very nice, but takes a few drives to get used to the new driver side mirror. The outer aspherical edge makes "objects are closer than they appear" effect kind of strange at first, but all good after adapting to it.. Really helps remove blind spots. Great upgrade.

My Cars
    too many
    Quote Originally Posted by philly98540 View Post
    I did the Euro mirrors on both sides. Very nice, but takes a few drives to get used to the new driver side mirror. The outer aspherical edge makes "objects are closer than they appear" effect kind of strange at first, but all good after adapting to it.. Really helps remove blind spots. Great upgrade.

Agreed - it took me a couple days to get used to it, but very worth it....

Anytime someone new drives my car, they always exclaim at how odd the mirrors are to them...

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    But ... it hurts my eyes with those magic mirrors ........ just saying.

My Cars
    BMWs & MINIs
    We have them in stock for 77.00 per side. They are a nice upgrade.

-Sean

-Sean from The BMW/Mini Part Store-
    [Website]http://thebmwminipartstore.com/
    [Email] thebmwminipartstore@gmail.com

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Quote Originally Posted by fullthrottle540 View Post
    i wouldn't be surprised if it was in fact hooked up to the ambient sensor through the main computer
    I believe this is correct. I think the heated windshield wiper spray nozzles are also controlled by the reading from the ambient temp. sensor.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Wow, I'm impressed to know more fancy stuff like heated wiper spra nozzles on our cars. More reason to love BMW and E39.

My Cars
    '03 530i/5sp Sport
    Thanks! I've been meaning to replace my mirrors for a while now and this thread kicked me into action. I ordered the Euros mainly because of the blue tint which hopefully will make them easier on the eyes at night. However, even if it makes no diff, the blind spot feature will be worthwhile.
    Last edited by sleuth255; 03-04-2014 at 07:18 PM.

My Cars
    2003 530iA (SOLD)
    I almost bought a non OEM set off ebay, but will be holding off until I just get the real deal. No faster way to make a vehicle feel cheap than putting on bad mirrors.
    2003 DINAN 5 | M54B30 | Titanium Gray Metallic | Stage 3 Engine Software | High Flow Throttle Body | Cold Air Intake | Free Flow Exhaust | Performance Automatic Transmission Software | Front Strut Brace | OE 18x9 BBS RS745 Style 42 on 265/35-18 MY BUILD THREAD: [Click]

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    Just replaced my drivers side with this DIY, easy peesy!

thanks for the effort!