Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying a car for my kids - 228 or M235?

My Cars
    E60 535i GS300 IS300
    Lol I think that every kid that knows what the car has will push it, its a given. When my parents gave me my GS300 Id drive like a old lady with them in the car but as soon as I was by myself I did all kinds of pulls, touched the 144mph limiter a few times and overall drove it like a stole it whenever I had the chance. I say you put like a dashcam in it when the time comes where you give them the car.
    08' FBO JB4 535i - dd

99' Lexus GS300 2JZGTE 757whp ProEfi 128 ftw

My Cars
    '07 E92 335i
    I would advise doing a BMW CCA driving school or two first before handing the keys over. Teach that the car has power but shouldn't be used in an irresponsible manner on the street.

flickr
    BMW CCA #444326
    come see bought me

My Cars
    1998 M3 / 2000 S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by gary88 View Post
    I would advise doing a BMW CCA driving school or two first before handing the keys over. Teach that the car has power but shouldn't be used in an irresponsible manner on the street.
    I'd send a kid to drag strip in a nissan quest minivan and watch it smoke some e36's

Bmw's are not powerful. Nissan minivan makes more/same/more accessible power.

Also elusive to police compared to a bmw.
    Last edited by wanganstyle; 02-23-2014 at 07:55 AM.
    Wanganstyle Powertrain
    http://www.wanganstyle.com/

S54B32 E36 M3 DTA S100 Sedan Street car full swap:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1437471

My Cars
    1988 325iX

Buying a car for my kids - 228 or M235?

My first car was a 4cyl 91 Mustang Hatchback that I bought in 2002. I drove that for 2 years and then upped to a 5.0 91 Mustang Coupe. I would've died if I had got the 5.0 first. At that time the fox was 12 years old when I got it. Originally rated at 225hp 300tq at the engine. The 228 will make 240/250 ish in a very similarly weighted vehicle. To me, neither one seems like a good plan for a 16 yeah old kid. Buy them a beater, something cheap to fix. Let them learn some driving responsibility and then after some time think about something else.

Buy a 235 for yourself, you'll feel like a wuss if you get the 228.
    Last edited by Asetliff; 02-25-2014 at 03:46 AM.

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin4586 View Post
    Lol I think that every kid that knows what the car has will push it, its a given.
    So, when I was a kid I borrowed my parent's Datsun (Nissan now) and at 60 the thing rattled and it didn't feel like it wanted to go much more. But in college me and friend took a road trip with '71 Mustang and I took it up to 120 and it felt fine.

My point is your kid is gonna want to experiment, it's part of being human and we do more as we're younger because everything is newer. Unfortunately in this learning process sometimes we are experimenting too much (ie: there's water on the ground, the curve is too sharp for the speed, that other car's driver is a moron, etc). If you think your kids may even be remotely interested in speed, take them to some defensive driving, or an autocross a few times (or track if you're already into that) and try and channel it.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    96 M3
    M235i

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    A lot of rehash here so far, so I'll skip all that and say this:

It doesn't matter how good/bad/experienced/inexperienced/responsible your kids will be when they drive. Tell them if ANYTHING happens to the car, they fix it and they pay for the parts. Done.
    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one?
    Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

My Cars
    83 244 Turbo
    A good starter car for your kids would be the F30 320i. Since it's cheaper than most, you can load it up with options and accessories so you won't feel bad about driving a 320i. It would get great gas mileage and even when your kids are ready to drive, it will still be a respectable car and I think they will be able to handle it even with a manual transmission.

My Cars
    91 e30-07 350Z -E63 AMG
    Just get them m6s and s1000rr for the weekends and be done with it. They inow rigt from wrong. Day in day out thats why they have their wwjd bracelets. No wrong choices ever. End thread/

My Cars
    z3
    Its insane to me to want to buy your kid such a nice car... even in 5 years, that will likely be the nicest car in the parking lot at his high school. WAY too much car for a kid that age. If you love your kid you want him to be safe, which means more than buying a safe car - it means buying a car he can control keeping in mind he is a new driver.

I would get an E46 or if your feeling very generous, an early model E92. An E92 325i would be more than enough car for you to enjoy in the time being and for him to enjoy somewhat responsibly. Even that though imo is too much power... E46 323i would be a great first car for a kid - decent enough to not be embarrassed about and have some pride in ownership, yet not so nice that if he wrecks it it will be devastating or if he neglects it that maintenance will be too expensive.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1997 328is
    ^ I vote E39. It's a beautiful, refined car with a lot of metal. Trying to combine a fun car for you AND a good first car for a teenager does not sound like a good combination unless you are loaded. Get them a car that they are proud to own, but not too fast, and make them pay for maintenance or make them do their own work. Or maybe give them a Japanese car. I bet if it's a project car that they sank a lot of hours into, they will drive more carefully.
    Last edited by DYL; 03-07-2014 at 04:54 PM.

My Cars
    E34 E38 E39 E60 E92
    You must be a pretty piss-poor father, or just a complete dumb ass, to have to come onto a message board to ask advice about what kind of $40k car to buy your kids for their first car!!!! If I, or any of my friends for that matter, had been handed the keys to a 300 bhp rocket ship for our first car we'd probably be dead after wrapping it around a tree. If you feel your precious babies just have to have the ultimate driving machine as their first car then get them a 525i E34 or E39. That's MORE than enough car for a 16 year old brat who still jerks off to posters hung on his wall. And you'll still be a candidate for father of the year! Thanks, Dad!!!!

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    ^ Wow. Nerve = hit.
    Last edited by ELVA164; 03-07-2014 at 10:19 PM.

My Cars
    2000 BMW X5 4.4i
    I bought my son a 1990 Camaro for his first car. We restored it together and he treats it like a new car. Sits inside all winter.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by C4vert View Post
    We restored it together and he treats it like a new car.
    That means you made him earn it, you didnt just give it to him. Id bet all the money in my bank account that if you just GAVE him the car, it would have been wrapped around a tree. Thats just how kids are...

Though on the subject, OP buying an E30 and restoring it with his son would be a great way to instill some responsibility into the kid.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    1997 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Though on the subject, OP buying an E30 and restoring it with his son would be a great way to instill some responsibility into the kid.
    Thinking back on my high school days, and the auto shop class, I would have loved to have a project E30 or resurrect the family's Volvo 740 that gave itself a Viking funeral in the engine compartment. However, I didn't have a license and I was totally in love with only the E46 and E39. I wouldn't mind a bit of time travel...

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    I wonder if OP is still checking this thread...

My Cars
    '14 E350, e36, 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ELVA164 View Post
    ^ Wow. Nerve = hit.
    Yes I'm still checking the thread and this was funny. Clearly I struck a nerve. Also, he clearly didn't read the thread to realize my children are 10 & 11 and a 2-series isn't a $40k car. They would get a 100k mile 5-year old car. Never say never but I can't see myself ever buying a kid a new 300hp 40k car.

Wife and I are taking European delivery of an M235i in a few weeks.

My Cars
    z3
    Buying your kid a $40k 300hp car thats 5 years old is much better. Great choice, A+ parenting.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    1984 318i m52 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by 540iguyy View Post
    Yes I'm still checking the thread and this was funny. Clearly I struck a nerve. Also, he clearly didn't read the thread to realize my children are 10 & 11 and a 2-series isn't a $40k car. They would get a 100k mile 5-year old car. Never say never but I can't see myself ever buying a kid a new 300hp 40k car.

Wife and I are taking European delivery of an M235i in a few weeks.

I wish I was taking euro delivery of a m235i =(

My Cars
    M3, 850i, E30T, E55T
    Drove an M235 last week....it is a lot of car in general and in the hands of a young inexperienced driver you put him at risk from the get-go imo.

My Cars
    99 528i 15 Corvette Z51
    My 528 is a German Tank..
    My 2008 Chihuahua is Blue deal with it
    Always teaching now getting paid for it.

My Cars
    '14 E350, e36, 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Buying your kid a $40k 300hp car thats 5 years old is much better. Great choice, A+ parenting.
    Not sure if sarcasm or not. At 5+ years old it will be worth about $19k (or that's what kbb.com says a 2009 335 coupe is worth today).

Do you have kids? If so, and given they have good grades, play sports, volunteer and have each taken BMW and a couple other defensive driving courses... And that they will be licensed in a graduated/provisional licensing state:

Would you rather buy your kids a 5year old $40k 4-seatbelt/seat 300hp coupe or a 250hp $35k 8-seatbelt/seat minivan complete with DVD player, high center of gravity and all the other distractions you can think of?

My Cars
    1995 BMW 318i Sedan
    M235i is an amazing car, when I drove it I just couldn't believe at how well it drove. I highly recommend this car..especially in estoril blue with m sport pack
    1995 318i Stock

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    Quote Originally Posted by 540iguyy View Post
    Would you rather buy your kids a 5year old $40k 4-seatbelt/seat 300hp coupe or a 250hp $35k 8-seatbelt/seat minivan complete with DVD player, high center of gravity and all the other distractions you can think of?
    I like how these are the only two options.

Oh shit I'm posting in a 540iguyy thread. Jesus Christ. I deserve whatever I get now.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast