Thread: Hood strut removal/install for replacement/raising hood to service position.

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)

Hood strut removal/install for replacement/raising hood to service position.

I looked for a DIY on this because a recent accident blew my struts but I couldn't find one so I did a quick write up. This is a very easy procedure, but the clips vary depending on the BMW model.

You will only need to remove the struts from the upper mounts for raising the hood to the service position.
    Also, it would be helpful to have someone assist you in supporting the heavy hood, but since my old struts were shot, I used a multi purpose broom/mop handle unscrewed from the broom to prop the hood.

- Passenger side gas charged hood strut upper mount.

- Use a small common screw driver to gently back the retaining clip out. You do not need to fully remove the clip to release the strut from the ball mount.

- Gently free the strut from the mount.

For my strut replacement, I removed the strut from the upper mount first to allow the strut to pivot for an easier access angle on the bottom strut mount.

- At this point for placing the hood in service position, repeat removal of strut from the driver side upper mount, raise the hood into service position and lock into position by placing bolts into right and left hinges. (I did finally find Schizo's post on the service position.)

Continued for strut replacement...
    - Pivot the strut towards the front of the car and back the retaining clip out from the lower end of the strut with the screw driver.

- Carefully pop the strut off the mount.

- Upper and lower strut clips are identical.

- New OEM Stabilus gas charged struts.

You do not need to remove the retaining clip from the strut for installation.

- Pop the lower end of the strut onto the lower ball mount first.

- Do the same for the upper mount.

Repeat procedure on driver side. Once one side is completed, you will not need to support the weight of the hood.

Now you no longer have to worry about the hood falling on your head.
    Last edited by jamesdc4; 02-07-2014 at 12:20 PM.

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    Nice write up. Whats the story behind that enormous fog horn? Look out kids....

My Cars
    2003 530i/5 2008 Hemi WK
    Quote Originally Posted by philly98540 View Post
    Jamie is a big fan of Louie Armstrong.

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Quote Originally Posted by AnotherGeezer View Post
    Jamie is a big fan of Louie Armstrong.
    Lol!
    Quote Originally Posted by philly98540 View Post
    Thanks.
    I got sick of not being heard when driving. I've had enough close calls, and with the value of the car so low and dropping fast, I like to blow people off the road who try to merge into my lane and car.
    There are actually two horns and two compressors. The longest horn is 14" so mounting them to the engine acoustic side cover was the only practical placement option. Only two mounting bolts makes for easy removal for servicing.
    Last edited by jamesdc4; 02-07-2014 at 12:21 PM.