Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: E34 Aftermarket Stereo Install with stock amp/speakers??

Stereoinstaller1 is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    All of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmerick View Post
    Sorry for the delayed response. The wiring set up above works like a champ; no additional adaptor needed. I also ran the external phone mic up the driver side A pillar and clipped it on the visor with the supplied clip. Additionally I ran the supplied USB cable and 3.5mm aux jack into the ashtray for easy but discrete access.

I will take some pics when the dash is fully reassembled; right now I am waiting on some new bulbs for my OBC. All three bulbs were blown; is that unusual?
    Awesome. Glad to hear it worked for you, thats awesome. When it works right, its quite impressive, actually.

BTW, If you find too much microphone wind noise, just run it to the center, near your sunroof switch. Mine was way too noisy in my E34 for the pillar mount, but my window seals are shot.

Best of luck!
    Luke

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398
    Thanks for 10 years of fun!

My Cars
    1994 530i
    So my gear showed up yesterday. I like the deck; some nice features, and it is very shallow (with no CD or cassette)...

I didn't have time to swap out the decks last night, but I did wire up the harness. Below is my take on the voltage drop wiring; I'll pop the deck in tonight...

Sorry for the delayed response. The wiring set up above works like a champ; no additional adaptor needed. I also ran the external phone mic up the driver side A pillar and clipped it on the visor with the supplied clip. Additionally I ran the supplied USB cable and 3.5mm aux jack into the ashtray for easy but discrete access.

I will take some pics when the dash is fully reassembled; right now I am waiting on some new bulbs for my OBC. All three bulbs were blown; is that unusual?
    Thank you for this!! This will help me immensly as I'm getting a deck in a month or two. I also considered the Pioneer HU you picked up as it is mechless...you'll have to include a review on it.

Just one question: what was the purpose of the posilock connector?

Also thanks to M20E34 for your expertise!
    Last edited by SwissCheeseHead; 02-14-2014 at 11:51 AM.

My Cars
    All of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by SwissCheeseHead View Post
    Thank you for this!! This will help me immensly as I'm getting a deck in a month or two. I also considered the Pioneer HU you picked up as it is mechless...you'll have to include a review on it.

It's Luke, and thank you, hope it works well for you too. I do this stuff for a living, so it really does matter to me that my advice works properly. I would say the Posilock is just to connect all 6 wires easily.

I too am excited about that deck, perhaps a shallow double DIN will be happening soon. Mechless will be the standard shortly, and there is no reason for this to be more than 2" deep. IMO, this is a giant beastly thing, they were just being lazy. No matter though, it will still make life easier and I totally dig it, especially with an MSRP of $130. After all, it isn't some permanent mod, its just a deck. It needs to do its job properly first and foremost and ideally, not look too heinous. I think this may be a winner!

I have a very specific question or two though: first, the 2 little doots above and below the big knob...do those just press, or do they "rotate"? How is the tactile sensation? Nice positive click or typical "press and hope" feel?

Second, does the volume knob act as a joystick, or does it just rotate? I know it presses in (or at least I expect it to) but I detest floppy knobs...even though the Pioneer ones do tend to stay good for a very long time.

Third, and I think this will depend on your phone more than the deck...but would you check and see if you get "navigation interruption" while listening to BT audio from your phone? If this stays true to Pioneer, Nav voices will only work through BT Audio and will not interrupt a phone call, as would happen if you were getting instructions on the phone while using Nav to find a street. This also means if you were listening to the phone via the USB link, you may not get NAV instructions. Honestly, I can't even say which should have priority, but I would like to know what to expect.

Oh, and also, if consistent with Pioneer spec, you will be able to play MP3 or .WMA files from a thumb/flash drive unless they came from an Apple, then its iPod/iPhone only. The best SQ you will get BTW is using .WMA @ 192K (there is no 320K .WMA), beats the crap out of MP3 even at 320K. Its a noticeable difference. Other formats may be better, but this deck won't play them, you would have to use your phone.

Oh, and if an Android user would you please report on the Android App? Android above 4.0 has "audio over USB" and can feed audio, give some basic controls and charge your phone all on USB, no aux cable required. (part of the MTP protocol) I would like to know how well it works and what happens if you get a NAV instruction or phone call while listening to music.

Welcome to the world of modern car electronics! Amazing what $130 does, ain't it?

Luke

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

My Cars
    E36x2, E34x2

What Luke said.

Yes, the posi-lock was just an easy and secure way to join 6 wires together.

And on the diagram, remember that the speaker negative (black stripe from the stereo) are INDIVIDUALLY heatshrink'd (as in insulated and not touching each other). I say this because in the pic above it shows those wires heatshrink'd together. Please know that they are all INDIVIDUALLY heatshrink'd.

I will provide some feedback on the Pioneer once I get some more time with it. I am renovating this car for my wife, much to do. My initial impressions are favorable. Thankfully the unit is more intuitive than the owners manual.

****I just created this diagram for clarification. Luke please double check for me but I believe it's correct.****
    Last edited by Bimmerick; 02-15-2014 at 07:20 AM. Reason: Added Diagram...
    Rick
    <><

1993 325is - The New Daily?
    1998 323is - The Daily Beater
    1995 530i - The Alternate Beater
    1995 540i/6 Touring - Lord Borthwick
    1995 540i - The Donor & Parts Locker - Finally sent to the Crusher - RIP

My Cars
    1994 530i
    ^ That's really awesome. With all the stuff that's floating out there, this will be really helpful for those not familiar with e34 installs. I have done a half dozen installs in my life, but the e34 seemed to have the most conflicting information.

I had a question with the posilock connector because it seemed in the pic that you had connected wires on the harness to each other (which didn't make any sense to me lol). With the diagram you made, it is very very clear.

Thank you, sirs!

I'm deciding between that Pioneer or this Alpine:
    http://www.amazon.com/UTE-42BT-Alpin...lpine+ute-42bt

My Cars
    E36x2, E34x2
    ^ That's really awesome. With all the stuff that's floating out there, this will be really helpful for those not familiar with e34 installs. I have done a half dozen installs in my life, but the e34 seemed to have the most conflicting information.

I had a question with the posilock connector because it seemed in the pic that you had connected wires on the harness to each other (which didn't make any sense to me lol). With the diagram you made, it is very very clear.

Thank you, sirs!

I'm deciding between that Pioneer or this Alpine:
    http://www.amazon.com/UTE-42BT-Alpin...lpine+ute-42bt
    Back in Oct 2013 I put this unit: JVC KD-X50BT in my E36, and I love it. It will be what I judge the Pioneer against. If the JVC had not been discontinued, I would have put one in the E34. I am in the E36 for about 1.5 hours each day so I spend lots of time with the JVC.
    Rick
    <><

My Cars
    1994 530i
    I'm looking higher end now with this Alpine:
    http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500HD14...T.html?tp=5684

I had a CDA 9885 back in the day and I loved the features and sound quality of that HU. Now that I'm looking into it more, I might go through and replace the whole system over time....smh....
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-OcD26li...-CDA-9885.html

My Cars
    All of them!
    I'm looking higher end now with this Alpine:
    http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500HD14...T.html?tp=5684

I had a CDA 9885 back in the day and I loved the features and sound quality of that HU. Now that I'm looking into it more, I might go through and replace the whole system over time....smh....
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-OcD26li...-CDA-9885.html
    you won't hear a difference between that and any name brand deck...and why oh why can't Alpine get a proper display color? Blue and orange, oh joy!

Closing SOON!

My Cars
    1994 530i
    I really liked the EQ on the 9885 that I used to have along with the time correction. I felt it truly made a difference compared to one with less features. Plus, I love the classic (trademark) Alpine blue and it has one of the better displays than other decks do (which by the way, I'm surprised after all these years, that the HU displays are still like they from the 90s.) It's really the combination of the display, HD radio, bluetooth and EQ that makes it a great package. And since I have an inkling I'll be keeping the car for a while and eventually changing out all the components, putting the money into a good HU now will be worth it.

My Cars
    E39, E38s, e46, lr3
    I just put that alpine in my e21. So far I'm loving it. I had the earlier version of it in my e34 and it sounded awesome using the stock amp for the small speakers and a small 8" JL and cheap walmart amp.
    e46 m3, some 740 sport shorts, F30h, LR3 and a 540it

My Cars
    All of them!
    Amazing what a couple hundred dollars can do these days...

Closing SOON!

My Cars
    E39, E38s, e46, lr3
    Seriously, I think the 400w walmart amp was like $50, the sub was $70 and I fabbed the box to fit in the sidepanel of the touring with $30 worth of materials. In a sedan I don't know how well it would sound unless you mounted it to the underside of the parcel shelf, ski pass or something like that.
    e46 m3, some 740 sport shorts, F30h, LR3 and a 540it

My Cars
    All of them!
    Hey Rick, may I have your official permission to use that wiring image?

I sure wish I knew how to make images like that! I just got a Note 2, and it has those capabilities...I just don't know how to do it yet.

LOL at "old man lacks computer skills"

Closing SOON!

My Cars
    1994 530i
    I ended up going with the Alpine UTE-42BT as I didn't want to spend the extra money. Got it for 80 shipped so I'd say I got it for a really good price.

My Cars
    1993 740i
    Boy do I wish this thread had existed when I was installing my stereo. It's a simple concept once you get it, but it's so counter intuitive that it's hard to visualize.

Thanks Bimmerrick for these great images, my very minor contribution is to combine the two into one easy to understand picture:

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gregeast; 02-18-2014 at 03:52 PM.
    '93 740i - Mine
    '13 Range Rover Sport - Hers
    '08 Land Rover LR2 - Hers
    '96 328i - Son's
    '97 328ic - Daughter's
    '87 944 Turbo - Mistress
    '74 Alfa Romeo Spider - Italian Mistress
    Northern Colorado, USA

My Cars
    E36x2, E34x2
    Quote Originally Posted by M20E34 View Post
    Hey Rick, may I have your official permission to use that wiring image?

I sure wish I knew how to make images like that! I just got a Note 2, and it has those capabilities...I just don't know how to do it yet.

LOL at "old man lacks computer skills"
    Of course, go on and use it. If you have any recommended changes let me know and I will even make them for you. FWIW, both images are just PowerPoint slides saved as images... "This is my PowerPoint, there are many like it, but this one is mine..."

And Greg, I do like how you combined the two images into one document; nice.

- - - Updated - - -

I ended up going with the Alpine UTE-42BT as I didn't want to spend the extra money. Got it for 80 shipped so I'd say I got it for a really good price.
    Dude, 80 shipped is practically free for what that thing will do for you... well played.
    Rick
    <><

My Cars
    1994 530i
    Dude, 80 shipped is practically free for what that thing will do for you... well played.
    lol. I get it tomorrow. I'll try to get it wired up tomorrow night and get it all set up. Hopefully everything works out and there aren't any issues.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 525i
    Bought the same radio pioneer and not much of work needed. Stock BMW speakers, just added rockford amplifier and pioneer 12" subwoofer, sounds very nice, exactly how i like it, clear/loud/not too much bass but not too loud

My Cars
    and trucks
    Just put in a KDR640 from JVC. Not the nicest, but the car is a heap. I wanted a specific list of things that this had: xm, pandora, cd player. For some reason it's been discontinued and replaced with the kdr650- not xm ready and $5 more : But, I found this for $50 at a local shop.

Many thanks to all in here for the diagram. Any suggestions on where to mount an xm antenna on an e34?
    Dave
    1995 Lincoln Towncar.
    Cartier
    I pimp your mom

My Cars
    All of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by David325e View Post
    Just put in a KDR640 from JVC. Not the nicest, but the car is a heap. I wanted a specific list of things that this had: xm, pandora, cd player. For some reason it's been discontinued and replaced with the kdr650- not xm ready and $5 more : But, I found this for $50 at a local shop.

Many thanks to all in here for the diagram. Any suggestions on where to mount an xm antenna on an e34?
    Maaaan...I can tell you that I had a heck of a time getting any signal at all on top of the dash or rear deck. I ended up putting the last one on the roof by drilling a hole for the cable.

Best of luck!
    Luke

Closing SOON!

My Cars
    94 525iT
    Seriously thanks for this thread. I did not think you had to ground the negative wires... I thought I just had shit speakers! Sounds great now. I also went with the alpine ute-42bt. Cheap and effective. I do miss my ida-305 though, that thing is a beast. Totally regret selling it!

My Cars
    1994 530i
    Looks like the install might not happen until next week. I've got family from out of state visiting...they're a little more important than a 20 yr old car lol. i'm excited to get it wired up though. It seems to be a quick 30 min - 1 hr job.

Where's a good place to mount the microphone? I would like to keep exposed wires to a minimum so I'm thinking about putting it in the dash somehow...
    Last edited by SwissCheeseHead; 02-20-2014 at 10:11 AM.

My Cars
    1985 Rx7 1995 BMW 540i
    I'm a new owner, and saw this thread just in time. My bottom of the line Kenwood media player sounds great. As good a system as any car I know of. Thanks so much.
    Old guy with a '94 530i.

My Cars
    and trucks
    Looks like the install might not happen until next week. I've got family from out of state visiting...they're a little more important than a 20 yr old car lol. i'm excited to get it wired up though. It seems to be a quick 30 min - 1 hr job.

Where's a good place to mount the microphone? I would like to keep exposed wires to a minimum so I'm thinking about putting it in the dash somehow...
    E38's had the mike up by the sunroof button I think.Another popular place for an aftermarket is at the top of the a-pillar trim.
    Dave
    1995 Lincoln Towncar.
    Cartier
    I pimp your mom

My Cars
    E34 540i 6sp 1995-03-28
    So I am very much grateful for your detailed work here.. I tried installing an Alpine HU once but wired everything 1:1 and had a light buzz audible at lower volumes so I take it now with this wiring approach I will find the deck quiet when turned on at low volumes ..

I'll be giving it another shot soon now that I've finally been able to understand this particular wiring concept. Great help, thank you.

One question I'd like to try asking here is can I use these AUX Inputs to connect an Iphone or Android phone to play lossless audio like .wav files (not mp3) via a 3.5 to RCA Y connector to any of these inputs? Like what does SW stand for at the bottom ?

This is the deck http://www.crutchfield.com/S-WomV4bA...l#overview-tab

Attachment 493980

What Luke said.

Yes, the posi-lock was just an easy and secure way to join 6 wires together.

And on the diagram, remember that the speaker negative (black stripe from the stereo) are INDIVIDUALLY heatshrink'd (as in insulated and not touching each other). I say this because in the pic above it shows those wires heatshrink'd together. Please know that they are all INDIVIDUALLY heatshrink'd.

I will provide some feedback on the Pioneer once I get some more time with it. I am renovating this car for my wife, much to do. My initial impressions are favorable. Thankfully the unit is more intuitive than the owners manual.

****I just created this diagram for clarification. Luke please double check for me but I believe it's correct.****
    Last edited by jehu; 02-22-2014 at 04:17 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast