Thread: Checking torque on head bolts

My Cars
    1989 BMW 325I Coupe

Checking torque on head bolts

I need to check the torque on the head bolts, as I found out the previous owner had it off at some point (and considering the quality of the rest of his work...). I get the "start at 22 ft lbs, then rotate 90 degrees, then another 90" thing, but does anyone know what the torque will be at that point so I can check? I did a check tonight and narrowed it down to all of them currently at 52 ft lbs (they all just slightly turned as the wrench broke over, so that's my reasoning), which seems really low for a head bolt. But then again, this are stretch bolts, right? And I don't have much experience with head work yet.

Any tips? I'm trying desperately to avoid taking the head off, since nothing is running poorly. Just trying to sort out a couple of things.

I've never been lost behind the wheel. That's where I want to be

My Cars
    87 Cabrio & 87 ETA
    Those are torque to yield head bolts and are one time use so you should not be retorquing them. Since there is a process to swap out the original bolts without removing the head by changing them one by one in the proper sequence, that may be an option. On the other hand, if you have compression or leak issues swapping bolts is probably a waste of time.
    87 Zinno Cabrio 98k Barn Find. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=268987
    87 Lachsilber ETA Time Capsule. bought w 125k from 87yo original owner

Cabrio deck lid & hinge struts (w sleeves) now for sale. See the link below for more info

New "made in Europe" seat shocks. PM for details
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ot-Seat-Shocks

My Cars
    '90 Ford Tempo
    Leave them alone

To retorque you have to loosen them and this could ruin the heat/ chemical seal of the headgasket.
    The bolts will need to be replaced as above, and the headgasket.

m

My Cars
    1989 BMW 325I Coupe
    Well, I'm not looking to retorque them, just make sure that they are torqued correctly. But yeah, I suppose I may need to just replace the bolts instead. Unfortunately I'm quickly running out of time to work on the car and I still have to do a complete rebuild on my bike in the space I have left, so I don't have time to pull the head right now. I'll see what I can do.

But to clarify anyway, if I were to reinstall the head, what would the actual torque spec be? This "22 ft lbs, 90 deg, 90 deg" thing seems very...non-technical for BMW. I would have expected 22 ft lbs, then another step at say 50, then another step at the final torque setting.

My Cars
    87 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by BavMoWo View Post
    But to clarify anyway, if I were to reinstall the head, what would the actual torque spec be? This "22 ft lbs, 90 deg, 90 deg" thing seems very...non-technical for BMW. I would have expected 22 ft lbs, then another step at say 50, then another step at the final torque setting.
    The first thing you would do would be to purchase new head bolts. Torque to Yield (TTY) bolts are one time use. The requisite clamping pressure is achieved by stretching the bolts beyond the elastic limit and into plastic deformation. Thus causing a permanent deformation. The load on the bolts is designed to be less than the elastic limit and thus clamping pressure remains constant. TTY bolts are always angle torqued. An initial torque and then tightened through specified angles (22ft-lb, 90deg, 90deg in this case).

When replacing head bolts the threads in the block need to be clean. Which means using a thread chasing tap, solvent, and blowgun with a long tube nozzle that can reach the bottom of the hole.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

My Cars
    1989 BMW 325I Coupe
    Aah, that makes more sense. So it's not as simple as a torque measurement when using stretch bolts. Hm, I have another theory about this leak I'm trying to fix, so I'll roll with that for a bit and see if that helps. Looks like I'll need a proper amount of time to pull the head, do the gasket, and replace the bolts.

My Cars
    00 E38,01 E38,99 323 is
    Quote Originally Posted by BavMoWo View Post
    Aah, that makes more sense. So it's not as simple as a torque measurement when using stretch bolts. Hm, I have another theory about this leak I'm trying to fix, so I'll roll with that for a bit and see if that helps. Looks like I'll need a proper amount of time to pull the head, do the gasket, and replace the bolts.
    and when you do that, you will need a new timing belt. There are also several while I'm in there items to consider.
    9/2004 Chevrolet Suburban Z71, black, purchased March 2016, 270k miles.
    6/99 740i Cosmos Schwartz M Sport, 214k miles, purchased May 2017
    2001 740i OrientBlau M Sport, purchased March 2023
    1984 MasterCraft Stars and Stripes, Blue/White, PCM Ford 351W, PowerSlot, 912 hours, purchased September 2012 (not a car )
    4/99 323is/5. Titansilber, 211k miles. Straight body project.

past BMWs: 5/1994 325isa (Arktisgrau), 3/1997 328is/5 (cosmosschwartz), 9/1990 535i/5 (calypsorot), 9/1990 318i/5 (brillantrot) 7/93 325i/5 convertible (samoablau) 2/92 325i/5 cabriolet (lagunengruen).
    SÜNDE REISEN

My Cars
    1986 325es ; 2008 528i
    Sorry - trying to understand the #22 torque then a 90 deg ...then another 90 deg ... set up and execution - what do you man by that ?

regards

My Cars
    1991 325i
    it means you torque the bolts to 22 ft-lbs in order, then turn them all 90 degrees in order, then turn them all another 90 degrees in order.
    1991 BMW 325i(Current Daily) (S52)
    I have carburetors, and I'm not afraid to use them!
    There are always other fish (engines) in the sea (Craigslist)
    Life is about enjoying the engine you are sitting behind.