Thread: Uh Oh. Turn signal indicator problems

My Cars
    '89 325iC, '00 540i/6

Uh Oh. Turn signal indicator problems

I today I set out to swap a few more of my stock bulbs in my gauge cluster to LED's, today's project being my high beam indicator and turn signal indicators. There is no problem with the high beam indicator after the swap, but the turn signal indicators are no longer working. Does anybody have any insight into this? If I put stock bulbs back in they work fine, so I'm thinking that it had to do with the resistance of the LEDs, but they are supposed to have built in resistors for this. Has any body had this problem, and does anybody know the fix?. Also, a little off topic, but the warning light in the center of the cluster never comes on in my car, should it at least at light at startup or something?

323i E30 is offline ⅂!ʈө !ƨ l!ʞө ɐ ʇөlөbµouө
    My Cars
    M52 E30 touring & E91
    If you have an overhead check panel, the brake warning should be lit on it, unless you press the brakes will starting her up.
    CHECK should be flashing on the dash then.

I'm pretty sure I'm not going to like the LED stuff. Curious anyway, so post a vid if you get it to work..
    ^ true story

D̶i̶b̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶E̶2̶1̶

My Cars
    '89 325iC, '00 540i/6
    Alright, I got the LED's to work and figured out what my problem was (wrong polarity on both bulbs..), while also managing to break one of the black bulb retainers in the process, so I'll be sending out for one of those soon too. I'd be more than willing to do a write up of a full LED gauge cluster conversion, and I think you'd be surprised. The reason I'm doing this, is because in 1984 when the car was built, they had to use filters to get the light to show the color they wanted, so the high beam indicator had a blue filter, the problem (for me at least) is that the white shows through the filter, so you end up with a very washed out blue, and the signal indicators look almost lime or yellow even. With the LED conversion, the high beam indicator is a very true blue, and my blinkers are a very true green. The only hesitation I have with sharing my cluster right now is that the right side of my cluster is dead (apparently a pretty common problem) and I believe that the problem is a broken solder or something, although I'm going to re-look over it either tomorrow or sunday and try to pin-point my problem and hopefully fix it. Other than that though, I'm very in love with my interior, and the only bulbs left to replace with LEDs are the HVAC panel bulbs. I'll try to remember to take pictures tonight though to post.

My Cars
    '89 325iC, '00 540i/6
    image-509525486.jpg image-2309656953.jpg image-1077829093.jpg

Its worth noting that they aren't that bright in person, I'll try to take some better pictures later.
    Last edited by LazerSquid; 12-27-2013 at 05:55 PM.

323i E30 is offline ⅂!ʈө !ƨ l!ʞө ɐ ʇөlөbµouө
    My Cars
    M52 E30 touring & E91
    Looks solid.
    I think it blinks to instantly though. No cool-down an warm up in the light regarding brightness. It's on or off, nothing in between when blinking.
    I do like that you did it though. Subtle projects
    ^ true story

D̶i̶b̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶E̶2̶1̶

My Cars
    '89 325iC, '00 540i/6
    Again, I'll do a comprehensive DIY with part numbers and pictures once I get the right side of my dash fixed (I need to solder on a jump wire) and post it, it really is a great mod, and with the parts I used the LED back lights are still dim-able throughout the car. It's subtle, but it really adds to making the cars technology feel less out dated. I'm also doing full exterior LEDs, but I want to finish up my interior first. The reasons I did it are: longevity/reliability, performance (like you said, on-off, not dim on dim off like the old ones, and brightness), and customization (I'll include in the DIY how to remove the orange filters so you can get a truer red or change to blue or whatever color you want).

richardodn is offline Old Guy BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    20 440ix cab, 12 X3 35ix
    Quote Originally Posted by 323i E30 View Post
    Looks solid.
    I think it blinks to instantly though. No cool-down an warm up in the light regarding brightness. It's on or off, nothing in between when blinking.
    I do like that you did it though. Subtle projects
    That's pretty typical of LED bulbs; ramp up and cool down times are much shorter (but not instantaneous) than a glowing wire. Either you like it or you don't.
    "Howdy, Folks!"

1986 Delphin 528e - Roof rack equipped lumber hauler.
    1989 Zinnoberrot 325iX Sedan - I miss this car. (Deceased)
    1998 Avus Blau 328iC - Someone else's project now
    2008 Platinum-Beige X3 3.0si - Current project
    2012 Alpine White X3 xDrive35i - My new snowmobile.
    2020 Estoril Blue 440i xDrive cabrio - This car is a blast to drive.

My Cars
    1987 BMW 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by LazerSquid View Post
    Again, I'll do a comprehensive DIY with part numbers and pictures once I get the right side of my dash fixed (I need to solder on a jump wire) and post it, it really is a great mod, and with the parts I used the LED back lights are still dim-able throughout the car. It's subtle, but it really adds to making the cars technology feel less out dated. I'm also doing full exterior LEDs, but I want to finish up my interior first. The reasons I did it are: longevity/reliability, performance (like you said, on-off, not dim on dim off like the old ones, and brightness), and customization (I'll include in the DIY how to remove the orange filters so you can get a truer red or change to blue or whatever color you want).
    can you tell me what needs to be jumped for the right side of the cluster? my right backlight doesnt work, and I installed a new bulb and holder but still nothing....

My Cars
    1987 BMW 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by richardodn View Post
    That's pretty typical of LED bulbs; ramp up and cool down times are much shorter (but not instantaneous) than a glowing wire. Either you like it or you don't.
    this is true.