Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Z3 1.9l Owners - Check In......

Terry F. is offline ONLY BMW Content is + Moderator
    My Cars
    M-Roadster

Z3 1.9l Owners - Check In......

Hey guys,

Tell me about your driving experiences with the 1.9. I know it weighs a few hundred pounds less than the 6 cylinder cars so I imagine it is well balanced. Prior to my M, I had a 1600cc Miata with 116hp. It was a blast to drive, there's more to having fun in a car than just horsepower. So what do you enjoy about your car? Do you find it to be underpowered or does it move with traffic just fine? Has the M44 been a reliable engine for you? What mods do you like?

Toss up a pic of your car, if possible.

Thanks,
    Terry

Stuff. I got stuff.

My Cars
    96 318ti
    i'm quite satisfied with my 1.9l to be honest, but I still want an M due to the hype. For my daily commute, the power is fine. 80-90+mph is pretty easy. If i needed more acceleration for whatever reason, I just drop down to 4th. I usually don't go drive faster than 80mph. The handling is nice. I was behind a truck when a bucket or something got loose and flew out. I was able to swerve out of the way, while staying in my lane, without fishtailing or fight with the steering wheel.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9
    I am overall quite pleased with my 1.9 Z. If you are looking for power, obviously this is not the car for you. It provides ample power for daily driving, and it is very fun on the curves . I actually enjoy my car so much because I get to ring it out a bit everywhere I go without driving recklessly. From a sports car perspective, yes it is underpowered. From a "normal" car perspective though, it has no problem keeping up with regular traffic. The M44 is a pretty low maintenance motor; I do stay on top of preventative maintenance, but I have never actually had an issue in which the car would not run. As a matter of fact, the only issues I have had are a failed open thermostat and a (now) leaking water pump. Believe it or not, this water pump is > 1 year old, and I suspect I got a fluke because the old one was just fine before I replaced it . Mod-wise, I am running the CoP(coil on pack) mod, fogged my air box, and other than that has been mostly cosmetic stuff. The CoP kit may have improved throttle response, but other than that it doesn't do much other than to simplify the ignition system(and I suppose less weight ). The fogged air box actually does make a big difference in how the car sounds, it gave it a noticeably deeper tone. The fogged air box also feels slightly better in the higher revs; my car always felt as if it was choking after ~5k, and I'm not surprised if it was due to the tiny elbow in the intake that did connect to the box.

20130731_211833.jpg.. and here it is (in the 30 degree weather ).
    Last edited by thomas88162; 12-05-2013 at 07:02 PM.

My Cars
    1996 BMW Z3
    I love my 1.9 all the reasons everyone else has talked about. Living in the Deep South we have a long year to enjoy top down driving but also a hot summer with the air conditioner where the car reminds you it is a 4 cylinder.

Mine is a mid year production 96 model with a two tone interior and wood accents which I really like. Factory stock except the stereo it really is a great car and fun to drive as my commute is an hour each way to work.

Last comment while my car is a low mileage once garage queen a friend has one with 350k miles with no major engine or transmission issues ever which is pretty incredible.

My Cars
    05 2.5 Z5
    Love mine. Bought it for the looks not speed. Z3 styling is very unique. Still get lots of onlookers.

I put aftermarket intake and exhaust not for any hp upgrades but to make it sound a bit louder. Stock was just too quiet for me.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    My 1997 Z3 1.9, bought as a garage queen in 2012 with 32,000 miles:
    http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...ps7caf54f2.jpg
    http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...ps1f26c3fb.jpg
    http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...ps37725a38.jpg

I like the Z3 1.9 because it feels light and balanced. It is the essence of a traditional classic sport car, one that can be tossed about, and whose engine can be enjoyed fully in daily driving with little risk to law or life.

Though the car can be compared to a Miata, it is bigger. The engine bay is large enough for a 6-cylinder engine, and the passenger compartment has more than enough leg and head room for a 6’-2” driver and passenger.

The M44 engine is serviceable and economical. One can see the ground all around it, and when the air cleaner box is removed, one can almost stand between the radiator and the fan-less engine. In daily driving it gets high-20’s mpg, and on trips it gets low 30’s.

Having driven a Z3 M and a Z3 2.3 before buying the Z3 1.9, I preferred the ease of driving the smaller engine. The M was unpleasantly overpowered, requiring concentration and restraint to drive. Even the 2.3 felt dominated by the presence of its 6-cylinder engine. The 1.9 is responsive and quick around town, with good acceleration up to 80 mph. It is nice to be able to give the 1.9 engine the reins, to let it rev to over 5,000 rpm almost any time. It is the engine for which the Z3 was designed. From Car Talk at http://www.cartalk.com/content/bmw-z3-1998:
    “… Unfortunately, BMW decided to do away with the very adequate four-cylinder 1.9-liter engine that came in the base-model Z3. Now, you can only get it with a choice of six-cylinder engines: A) overpowered, and B) extremely overpowered… We drove the Z3 with the 2.8-liter engine… It's overkill for most people… stick with the smaller, 2.5-liter six. Or protest this ridiculous horsepower race, which BMW is encouraging… ”
    The 1.9 would not be a good engine for those who want to drive at high speed or competitively. Acceleration slows as you pass 80 mph, and the power is inadequate for high speed passing on a 2-lane road, or for accelerating on mountain grades or at high altitudes. Acceleration is also not adequate to compete with many of the cars on the road today, who will win a full-throttle contest.

My only two criticisms of the 1.9 is the sound of the OEM exhaust, and the black windshield eyeliner tape. The exhaust is too quiet, but a 4-cylinder muffler can be designed to give good sound, like the Toyota TRD axle back on my 2006 Scion. The Supersprint axle back on my Z3 1.9 makes a variety of sounds depending on rpm and load, rather loud under load, but becomes quiet when cruising on the Interstate.

And the early Z3s were given a cosmetic black tape wrapping around the windshield, on the A-pillars and across the top. On a dark car with a black top, this looks OK. On a light car, especially with a tan top, it looks like mascara. Also the tape eventually cracks and peels. I will be removing my tape.

Here is a list of mods to my Z3 1.9:
    My rear window trim was coming off as most are by now:
    http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...997BMWZ3Rr.jpg
    I messed up installing two new windows and bought a new top.
    I added a Supersprint exhaust for some good sounds:
    http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...intonZ319L.jpg
    Added a storage net on the side of the console, which attaches with special screws into the rigid carpet backing:
    http://www.roadstersolutions.com/page4.html
    Stopped the glove box lid from rattling by removing a 2-pound metal plate:
    http://s49.photobucket.com/user/vint...?sort=9&page=1
    And added felt pads:
    http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...psdbc5a818.jpg
    Stopped the seat from rocking, and raised the front edge, with a kit:
    http://www.bimmerdiffs.com/products/...mod-fix-kit-z3
    http://www.waycoolinc.com/z3/02/100602/shish01.html
    Added a ScanGauge:
    http://s49.photobucket.com/user/vint...?sort=3&page
    Put in a larger console and padded armrests:
    http://leatherz.com/Merchant5/mercha...gory_Code=Sale
    And wrapped the thin steering wheel with a leather Wheelskin:
    http://www.wheelskins.com/original_wheelskin.php

Added a strut bar:
    http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...ps992d7f62.jpg
    And installed new KYB struts and shocks, with new upper shock mounts:
    http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/MEYLE_HD/

Last edited by Vintage42; 11-03-2019 at 07:24 AM.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    2007 Z4///MC
    The 1.9 zed was the first one I owned. I wish I still had it. It was a cool little car and sooo much fun to drive. Ours had the M pack on it, wheels/trim/suspension. It really was one of the most fun cars I have had to date. It ain't all about horsepower.
    Last edited by vanne; 12-08-2013 at 11:57 AM.

My Cars
    Z3
    I think I'm going to go look at that 1.9 after all. At least when it stops snowing.

My Cars
    2005 BMW Z4 3.0i
    I love my 1.9 Z3. Granted I upgraded the suspension, did the K&N intake, and threw on the exhaust. Also upgraded the interior with a facelift swap and put in some Sport Seats. I love this thing, yea I miss the power of a turbo or above 200HP, but the handling more than makes up for it.

Here are some pictures.

Last edited by Knowthebattle; 02-24-2015 at 06:11 AM.
    Photbucket looking to make extra money......

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3
    I love my 1.9 Z3. I've used it as my daily driver for almost 14 years, sun, rain and snow. It still gets great gas mileage better than my wife's Honda Accord. It makes stop and go traffic in the summer acceptable. It's not the fastest car, but it is still fun.

Paul

My Cars
    1998 Z3 with 1.9/auto
    I love my 1.9. I love the low gas usage, low insurance, the looks and comments, the handling, never having an issue with the M44, cheap tires, I can wash it in 10 minutes except the wheels, but most of all the fun. It is a fun car, fun, fun, fun. I am not able to drive the car to its limits but I don't want to and I doubt that few people could that don't track the car. Oh yea I like the automatic to. I have shifted all my life and although a manual gives you more control I am tired of pumping a clutch, I have a jeep if I want to do that.

What I hate about my 1.9 is that the wheels are a pain to wash.
    -Marshall

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cremaster View Post
    I love my 1.9. I love the low gas usage, low insurance, the looks and comments, the handling, never having an issue with the M44, cheap tires, I can wash it in 10 minutes except the wheels, but most of all the fun. It is a fun car, fun, fun, fun. I am not able to drive the car to its limits but I don't want to and I doubt that few people could that don't track the car. Oh yea I like the automatic to. I have shifted all my life and although a manual gives you more control I am tired of pumping a clutch, I have a jeep if I want to do that.

What I hate about my 1.9 is that the wheels are a pain to wash.
    Get some low dust brake pads!
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9, Jetta TDI,
    We have a Boston Green 98 Z3 1.9 and it's been a fun trip car for me and my wife when the kids are gone. It's been in the family close to 14 years and is pretty much stock and has been very reliable, just need to do the rocking seat bushing fix. Living in Tennessee we love spring and fall trips to the mountains or when it's to hot just night driving with the top down. It's not a daily driver so it's always fun to break out the Z for some driving fun.
    Last edited by tankbuster; 03-01-2015 at 08:14 AM.

My Cars
    1998 z3 1.9
    My one point nine is...oh so fine.
    Life is Amazingly short. Everything you do should put a smile on your face and those around you.

My Cars
    z3
    What is with all the 1.9 elitism recently?

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Just great people admiring great engines! That's all...
    -Adam

My Cars
    2005 BMW Z4 3.0i
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    We know BMW's original vision in 1996 and we respect that.

We also know we're better than you.....
    Photbucket looking to make extra money......

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9, Jetta TDI,
    Quote Originally Posted by tankbuster View Post
    We have a 98 Boston Green Z3 1.9 and it's been a fun trip car for me and my wife when the kids are gone. It's been in the family close to 14 years and is pretty much stock and has been very reliable, just need to do the rocking seat bushing fix. Living in Tennessee we love spring and fall trips to the mountains or when it's to hot just night driving with the top down. It's not a daily driver so it's always fun to break out the Z for some driving fun.
    Plenty of power if you use the 5 speed right, just punch the gas and drop a gear
    Last edited by tankbuster; 03-01-2015 at 08:20 AM.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    The MX-5 Miata is the closest current car to the Z3 1.9, and was Motor Trend’s third-ranked Best Driver’s Car, behind a Mercedes-AMG GTS and a Porsche Cayman GT4, and ahead of seven others.
    “… 155-hp, 2.0-liter four cylinder… The MX-5 Miata is proof you don’t need a lot of power to make a great driver’s car… It was the most tossable car in the bunch, which is why it finished third overall… This is how driving a sports car used to be.”
    --Motor Trend Magazine, November 2015
    Last edited by Vintage42; 10-04-2015 at 10:18 AM.

My Cars
    1997 528i/5, 1997 528i/5
    I have been DDing my 1.9 since earlier this summer and I have had no complaints. It is very, very different than a Miata but it is much lighter than the 6 cylinders Z's I have driven (both M and non-M). I have upgraded my seats to factory sport seats and the wheels to an OEM staggered 17" setup. Those two upgrades really have brought the car to life.

The major difference is that you have to really drive the M44, not just press the peddle down like you can with 6 cylinder cars. It goes, it really does, but you have to engage with the car and not just 'hang out'. That said, on the highway I find that mine loves 75 MPH and lives very happily there.

It isn't a car for everyone and it isn't a car to have an automatic in but I strongly suggest you drive one to see if you like it.
    Wade

My Cars
    2001 330i, tr4

new to fourn want a Z3 1.9l

Quote Originally Posted by Aubergine View Post
    I have been DDing my 1.9 since earlier this summer and I have had no complaints. It is very, very different than a Miata but it is much lighter than the 6 cylinders Z's I have driven (both M and non-M). I have upgraded my seats to factory sport seats and the wheels to an OEM staggered 17" setup. Those two upgrades really have brought the car to life.

The major difference is that you have to really drive the M44, not just press the peddle down like you can with 6 cylinder cars. It goes, it really does, but you have to engage with the car and not just 'hang out'. That said, on the highway I find that mine loves 75 MPH and lives very happily there.

It isn't a car for everyone and it isn't a car to have an automatic in but I strongly suggest you drive one to see if you like it.
    Hello all, fist time on the board.

I like the BMW Z3 1.9L would like to know how it compares to the 914-4 2L. Do you think it would hold up to a DD 28 Mile round trip all 101 freeway with a few twisties.

My Cars
    325ci Cabrio
    HaHaHa, a comparison between a Z3 and a 914. I have owned four Z3s and three 914s, so I can help ya' out. The 1.9 Z3 is better in nearly all aspects! It is peppier, handles I'd say better, more reliable and far better build quality!!!! No rusty battery trays not he Z3, hahaha!!!! Of my Z3s, two were the 1.9, one was a 2.5 and one was a 2.8. Yes, the 1.9 is slower then the others BUT I really don't care and love it just as much!
    -Dusty

05' BMW 325ci, Sapphire Black
    14' Porsche 981, Guards Red
    17' Tesla Model-X, Deep Blue
    81' DeLorean, Stainless Steel

My Cars
    96 Z3, 2011 328, 2011 x3
    I love my 1.9L. Have had no major engine related issues (knock on wood) since I bought it. The car feels well balanced and has sufficient power for all of my needs. However, I am not the lead-foot type, and would probably not own this car if I was. For me, the car is fast enough, and I love the 28-30 MPG

My Cars
    1999 BMW M Roadster
    This thread has been a very interesting read. Like many others, I had dismissed the 1.9's for lack of power when I was shopping for a Z3. But I'm really beginning to see the appeal - they're a whole lot of fun and can be had pretty cheaply, leaving plenty of money for suspension and wheel / tire upgrades!

The catches to a 1.9?
    1. At least in my area, the 1.9's that are on the market are some of the most neglected sad sack BMW's out there - it would take some shopping to find a good one. I saw one locally that had moss growing on the passenger seat.
    2. Resale Value. Buy a nice one for $6-8K - leaves some financial room for suspension work etc, but throw $2-3K at it and it will still be worth $6-8K, or less depending upon how much and how hard you drive it. An M model will hold it's value, and most likely increase in value for a well-cared for example.
    Last edited by dklay; 11-03-2015 at 05:22 PM.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by dklay View Post
    ... the 1.9's that are on the market are some of the most neglected sad sack BMW's out there...
    They are the oldest Z3s. And as the sixes came along, the 1.9s were passed down to wives and children or resold to students and daily drivers. They were no longer second or third cars owned by enthusiasts, and ceased to be garaged or well maintained. Maintenance and repairs passed from dealers to indy shops and to unqualified owners. As the years and miles accumulated, sun ate the tops and interiors, water leaked into trunks and floors, winter salt ate at the undercarriages, CELs blossomed, controls and switches failed, doors and consoles were entered, cooling systems failed, heads warped, and poor repairs done. The 1.9s became bottom-feeders, poor stepchildren, unloved and unwanted junkers, and their value plummeted.

But if you can find a low miles one owner garage queen 1.9, it will be a bargain. Those who have them love them. As for power, my 1.9 is the third BMW I have owned, and the fastest car I have had since getting a license in 1958.
    Last edited by Vintage42; 11-08-2015 at 07:09 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast