RM European Auto Parts

Thread: How screwed am I?

My Cars
    330i '03 original owner

How screwed am I?

I accidentally put 1/2 quart of engine oil into the automatic transmission fluid tank of my '03 E46. (Yes, I realize I'm an idiot.) What do I do now?

N/M - problem solved for now.
    Last edited by libra15; 11-25-2013 at 04:51 PM.

My Cars
    1991 325i
    what automatic transmission fluid tank? is it the one near the intake that says ATF only on it?
    1991 BMW 325i(Current Daily) (S52)
    I have carburetors, and I'm not afraid to use them!
    There are always other fish (engines) in the sea (Craigslist)
    Life is about enjoying the engine you are sitting behind.

My Cars
    '05 330 ZHP slosh box
    How'd you solve it?

2005 E46 330 ZHP Imola Red
    2004 E46 325 M56 Steel Metallic Blue - Sold

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    There is no automatic transmission fluid tank.

There is, however, a power steering reservoir, which uses ATF. If it took half a quart, you've got a massive leak, and you've likely overfilled it, too. Fix the leak, which will likely dump most of the engine oil anyway. Then fill with ATF, run engine, work steering left to right, and remove bottom hose at pump to re-drain system. Repeat a couple of times, then reclamp that hose and fill with ATF.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    330i '03 original owner
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudolph320i View Post
    what automatic transmission fluid tank? is it the one near the intake that says ATF only on it?
    It says "ATF oil only." I don't know what an intake is (or what automatic transmission oil is), but whatever it was I put the oil into was located near the front of the car and near the dipstick (which is why I thought that was where oil would go).

I scooped it out, and then stuffed a towel in there to soak up all the oil. I could fit most of my hand in it, so I took paper towels and continued to soak up oil until the paper towels came out clean.

Drove it around 15 miles. No problems. Did make a few groan/squeak sounds at very low speeds only. Highway driving was fine.
    Last edited by libra15; 11-25-2013 at 09:28 PM.

My Cars
    03-X5 4.6iS & 01-X5 3.0
    Not being rude, but if you don't know what an intake is or automatic transmission fluid (ATF) or how to check/fill your power steering reservoir, then what are you doing under the hood of a BMW?

My Cars
    325iT 330i
    So you got all of the oil out that you could soak up before starting the car, right? Then you refilled that ATF reservoir back up with ATF to where it read full on its little dipstick on the cap, right?

You are probably fine now, but BMWDirtRacer is right. It would be better to flush the system to be sure that you got the last of the motor oil out of your power steering system. The car is ten years old. Time to replace that old power steering fluid anyway.

BMWDirtRacer was also correct that if you could fit a half a quart of anything in there, you must have a power steering leak because it was low on fluid. Power steering hose leaks on BMWs are very, very, common. Probably want to take care of the leak at the same time you replace the fluid.

My Cars
    330i '03 original owner
    Quote Originally Posted by E39DaveE53 View Post
    Not being rude, but if you don't know what an intake is or automatic transmission fluid (ATF) or how to check/fill your power steering reservoir, then what are you doing under the hood of a BMW?
    Lol. The yellow oil lamp had been coming on for the last few weeks. I read online that it probably needed topping off of a quart or so of oil between oil changes. I thought, how hard could it be? Famous last words. (This did indeed turn out to be the case, as I eventually learned when I eventually located the oil tank.)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Manolito View Post
    So you got all of the oil out that you could soak up before starting the car, right? Then you refilled that ATF reservoir back up with ATF to where it read full on its little dipstick on the cap, right?

You are probably fine now, but BMWDirtRacer is right. It would be better to flush the system to be sure that you got the last of the motor oil out of your power steering system. The car is ten years old. Time to replace that old power steering fluid anyway.

BMWDirtRacer was also correct that if you could fit a half a quart of anything in there, you must have a power steering leak because it was low on fluid. Power steering hose leaks on BMWs are very, very, common. Probably want to take care of the leak at the same time you replace the fluid.

I didn't put anything back into the ATF reservoir. I sopped up everything. If I didn't know what ATF meant - I didn't even see it - I saw the words "Oil Only," and thought, perfect! So it should be no surprise that I wouldn't have a clue as to what other kind of oil would go in there.

It was less than 1/2 a quart, really. It just seemed like a whole lot at the time.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    I repeat: that's the power steering reservoir. It needs to be full to the line on the dipstick (cap) with ATF. The squeaks and groans are because your power steering is low on fluid.

Engine oil is added at the valvecover hole.

Transmission fluid is added from underneath the car, with a pump.

It really sounds to me like you should let a BMW mechanic or experienced BMW owner show you around under the hood of your car, before you really screw something up.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    99 M Coupe,04 K1200rs
    Chris, is that "valvecover hole"on the top of the aforementioned "oil tank"?

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Quote Originally Posted by libra15 View Post
    I accidentally put 1/2 quart of engine oil into the automatic transmission fluid tank of my '03 E46. (Yes, I realize I'm an idiot.) What do I do now?
    It says "ATF oil only." I don't know what an intake is (or what automatic transmission oil is), but whatever it was I put the oil into was located near the front of the car and near the dipstick (which is why I thought that was where oil would go).

I scooped it out, and then stuffed a towel in there to soak up all the oil. I could fit most of my hand in it, so I took paper towels and continued to soak up oil until the paper towels came out clean.

Drove it around 15 miles. No problems. Did make a few groan/squeak sounds at very low speeds only. Highway driving was fine.
    Lol. The yellow oil lamp had been coming on for the last few weeks. I read online that it probably needed topping off of a quart or so of oil between oil changes. I thought, how hard could it be? Famous last words. (This did indeed turn out to be the case, as I eventually learned when I eventually located the oil tank.)

I didn't put anything back into the ATF reservoir. I sopped up everything. If I didn't know what ATF meant - I didn't even see it - I saw the words "Oil Only," and thought, perfect! So it should be no surprise that I wouldn't have a clue as to what other kind of oil would go in there.

It was less than 1/2 a quart, really. It just seemed like a whole lot at the time.
    Here's what you do. Go to AutoZone or some other parts store and tell someone there that you need a quart of ATF. Dexron, Mercon ... it doesn't really matter, but I think Dexron is recommended. Then fill the automatice transmission fluid tank up to about one inch below the top (leave some empty space in it).

Ok, no here's the important part. You need to break off the handle that opens your hood so that you're never again tempted to open it and work on your car.

Ok, so that was a little mean, (i'm only half-kidding though). But you can't let a warning light keep coming on for a FEW WEEKS before adressing it. It's not coming on to let you know that something is going to go wrong in a month. It's wrong right now!
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Okay, critter: I admit to heavily altering my last sentence, just because it was way too mean. But now that you've made me re-read the entirety of the OP's automotive inanity, I really have to agree.
    Libra: Step away from the car. Give someone else the keys, and buy a bicycle.
    Bob: No, but I read it's somewhere in the trunk...
    Last edited by bmwdirtracer; 11-26-2013 at 08:05 PM.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412