Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An easier way to put an M5 front sway bar in a 540

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander

An easier way to put an M5 front sway bar in a 540

Helped a buddy yesterday put an M5 sway bar in his 540.
    I did it to my car years ago with the car jacked up 2 feet and me on my back, never again.
    This time we had a lift, much nicer. We also replaced the front motor mounts.
    All the write ups tell you that the front subframe won't come down from the front after all 6 bolts are removed and the engine is jacked up. This only allows the rear of the subframe to drop about 2 inches which is barely enough room to snake the old bar out.
    The reason the front of the subframe won't come down is because it's stuck on the chassis alignment pins. Pry the front of the subframe out of its alignment pins and it'll drop about 6 inches making the bar removal a piece of cake. Make sure you have a jack and 2x4 to push the drivers side of the subframe and the steering box back up into place. You will need a large screwdriver or pry bar to move the steering box away from the motor mount bracket. Two of us were unable to do this just using our hands.
    A few pics, some didn't come out that well, but at least you should be able to see what is involved.

Last edited by JimLev; 11-20-2013 at 10:41 PM.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Is there any easy way to steal that Berrari Motor Worken?

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Quote Originally Posted by auaq View Post
    Is there any easy way to steal that Berrari Motor Worken?
    Do you feel lucky?
    Can you outrun a .45?

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Well, once I get it then sure I can.

- - - Updated - - -

Is that you in the picture? The infamous slender man?

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Quote Originally Posted by auaq View Post
    Well, once I get it then sure I can.

- - - Updated - - -

Is that you in the picture? The infamous slender man?
    No, that's my buddy and his 540 up on the lift.

My Cars
    M550iX, 540M-Sport, Scud
    Nice 308GTB...I had a similar carb 1978 308GTS red/tan that I upgraded with 16" QV wheels...I still miss that car. It was a previous 'garage queen" before I got it, with 14k miles...had about 35k when I got rid of it. Made great sounds, and drove wonderfully...just too slow. But my god, still one of the most beautiful shapes from Pininfarina. I traded the 308 for a 87 328GTS and then bought the 540...and realized my 540 "family sedan" was just as fast as the "sports car" 328...so got the F355 to return order to the world...
    Last edited by f355spider; 11-20-2013 at 11:11 PM.
    2001 540 M-Sport (cdn), ST X (KW) coilovers, H&R 15mm spacers, Eibach anti roll bars (28mm/18mm), Beastpower rear antiroll bar brackets, M5 rear chassis reinforcements (traction rods), Strong Strut front upper strut bar, Dinan Stage 1 software, factory M-Audio subs, Bavsound speaker upgrade, Bluebus bluetooth integration, Stop Tech SS brake lines, ATE coated brake rotors, ATE ceramic brake pads.

My Cars
    1999 540i sport
    Nice pictures looks involved without a lift easing the labor.

Is it the guy with the same name as me?
    1999 BMW 540i Sport

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpina540i View Post
    Nice pictures looks involved without a lift easing the labor.

Is it the guy with the same name as me?
    No, that is another friend, he has a '00 540 automatic.

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    You never give up finding the best way to do something. This definately looks like the way to do it. I have the stock 540 sport front bar and it is decent, but moving up to a bigger bar was off my radar due to having to fish that sucker in there. Now that you figured this out, I will have to upgrade my bar. Ahhh, more work for me...

Nice garage. I want that Atari console, and I see a heater up in that top corner. Very nice. I could have really used that lift this week. I am getting a workout climbing in/out doing my clutch from the floor. Not sure I will ever do that again.

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Edit:
    If I were to do this again I'd get 2 long bolts and thread them onto the center subframe hole to keep the frame from dropping so much.
    This should make it easier to get the frame and steering box back into position.
    Might not need a floor jack and 2x4 to push it back up into position.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Wish it was my garage. I don't have the head room for a lift, but I do have heat.
    I did my clutch on my back too, no fun but I wasn't in a hurry.
    Here's a pic of my garage, I just primed the front bumper and hope to paint it tonight.
    I take a 10 week auto body course at the local VocTech school so I can use their paint booth, MIG welder, etc.
    I should post a few pic of the place. At the moment there are 2 E46 and 2 E39's in there.
    One of the E46's is up on the frame machine, not sure if it's going to make it, bad front right hit.

Last edited by JimLev; 11-21-2013 at 10:06 AM. Reason: added info

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Sweet...!
    Great information, as usual Jim...!
    Thanks Mucho...!
    Jason

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Do want that Ferrari. I keep looking at 308's and 328's on ebay.

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Quote Originally Posted by RVAE34 View Post
    Do want that Ferrari. I keep looking at 308's and 328's on ebay.
    It is a pretty car, very low to the ground.
    Here's a little quiz for any of you that have a little 308 knowledge. See that towel stuffed into the right side air scoop?
    Why is it in there? Hint, it's a '77, in '78 Ferrari fixed the problem.
    Has nothing to do with keeping little critters out.

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    No clue and can't find anything online. You have me intigued now.

I personally think they are some of the best looking Ferrari's ever made. I know they are slow as hell but I could fix that

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    Fuel fumes?

My Cars
    M550iX, 540M-Sport, Scud
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    It is a pretty car, very low to the ground.
    Here's a little quiz for any of you that have a little 308 knowledge. See that towel stuffed into the right side air scoop?
    Why is it in there? Hint, it's a '77, in '78 Ferrari fixed the problem.
    Has nothing to do with keeping little critters out.
    Oil cooler? In winter the oil never comes up to temp, because there is no thermostat on the oil cooler lines.....but they never fixed that until the 348. Both my 308 and 328 had that issue...and wait, the oil cooler is on the left side....so I guess I don't know. He has plugged the air intake for the air box.
    2001 540 M-Sport (cdn), ST X (KW) coilovers, H&R 15mm spacers, Eibach anti roll bars (28mm/18mm), Beastpower rear antiroll bar brackets, M5 rear chassis reinforcements (traction rods), Strong Strut front upper strut bar, Dinan Stage 1 software, factory M-Audio subs, Bavsound speaker upgrade, Bluebus bluetooth integration, Stop Tech SS brake lines, ATE coated brake rotors, ATE ceramic brake pads.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Radiators? If not then I guess it has something to do with heating the cabin inside during the winter season. For example, air is drawn in and into this chamber around the exhaust manifold and then re-directed to the cabin to keep the driver and the passenger warm.

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Quote Originally Posted by philly98540 View Post
    Fuel fumes?
    Yes, now for the bonus points.
    Why do the fuel fumes come out the air intake on the '77 and not on the '78?

RVAE34, have to agree with you. Love the design of most of them.
    Every year there is an Italian Car Day at the Museum of Transportation in Brookline, MA.
    Depending on the weather it's not uncommon for over a 100 of them to show up. Music to my ears.
    A few years ago when I was traveling thru Italy I stopped in at the factory and museum in Maranello.
    All I could afford was an F40 and 250 GTO poster, LOL.

Last edited by JimLev; 11-21-2013 at 03:53 PM. Reason: typo

My Cars
    98 540i/6, 85 Testarossa
    Hey there's me and that's my car on the lift! Many thanks to the venerable JimLev for his assistance on Tuesday. You rock buddy.

Here's my Ferrari. A real man drives a Ferrari with 12cyls. LOL.

IMG_3827sm.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Highfive99; 11-21-2013 at 08:19 PM.

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    512tr?

The 250 GTO, 288 GTO and F40 are my dream cars.

My Cars
    M550iX, 540M-Sport, Scud
    I had fuel fumes, but I removed all the plumbing and the charcoal canister that is supposed to capture that stuff (emission control). Huge problem with the 78-79 cars with that system, is there is a check valve that always failed, and all the charcoal dust in that canister was sucked into the carbs fouling them up. 78-79 308s were strangled with all sorts of emission controls (cats, air pump, charcoal canister, tons of vacuum lines running every which way). 76-77 USA spec cars had around 240hp whereas the 78-79s had around 215hp (mostly due to lean carb jetting and less aggressive cams). Most every "dyno day" our chapter hosts, 308s of all vintages are way down on power...usually due to the advance mechanisms no longer working in the dual distributors, and plugged up carb jets. My 78 ran strong, but on the dyno you could see the effects of the lean jetting on the CO readings. Changing the idle and mains made a huge difference in drivability and gained about 12hp.

Oh, and that reminds me, tell your friend to replace the hose between the fuel filler neck and the left fuel tank..and the cross over hoses while he is at it. The fuel filler neck hose is known to rot and crack, then leak fuel on the front exhaust manifold and woosh! Read about it back in 2000 or so on Tom Yangs website and had mine checked and replaced...I was close to pending disaster. I ended up having every coolant, fuel and brake hose replaced.
    Last edited by f355spider; 11-21-2013 at 10:27 PM.

My Cars
    2001 540i sport 6spd
    i dont get it. what is a ferrari?
    ~2001 540i/6speed~
    Schmiedman M5 headers, SPEC stage2+ kevlar clutch, JBR 11lb lightweight flywheel, ESS Tuning m60 manifold software tune, 3" SS freeflow OBX catback, afe cold air intake, m60 intake manifold, Cdv delete, powerflex urethane sway bar bushings, M5 rear sway bar ,Autozone replacement driver side blinker light bulb, 545 short shifter zhp weighted, "dsc off" sticker, m5 3.15 lsd differential, m5 chassis rods, akebono ceramic pads, G2 caliper epoxy, ecs braided lines, BC-Racing br-plus series w/swift springs 8/6~
    On the night that I go back in time, you will be shot by terrorists. Please take whatever precautions are necessary to prevent this terrible disaster.

My Cars
    98 540i/6, 85 Testarossa
    Quote Originally Posted by topaz540i View Post
    i dont get it. what is a ferrari?
    If you have to ask, you'll never understand.

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    Jim- post up that bumper paint job when you shoot it. I hope the color coat lays nice for you.

Im still thinking on the bonus question...

My Cars
    2010 BMW M6*2019 X3 M40i
    Great info. Still on original motor mounts and sway bar, so definitely helpful post for me. Nice looking garage too. Jim rocks.
    2010 BMW M6 SMG Coupe * Black Saphire Metallic * Full Leather Merino Black
    2019 BMW X3 M40i * Alpine White * Mocha Leather
    Former:
    1997 BMW 532M (528i with 3.2 S52 engine from E36 M3 / 5 speed manual)
    1998 BMW 540i 6 Speed
    2003 BMW M5

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast