View Poll Results: What do you think my dad should consider?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Getting an M3

3 6.12%
  • Less capable cars

43 87.76%
  • Getting an M3, but being very strict about how I use it

3 6.12%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: M3 lover with a skeptical dad! HELP :(

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Sedan

Unhappy M3 lover with a skeptical dad! HELP :(

I'm 14 now. I've been looking for a car for about six months now (Fixer-upper mechanical wise), searching through endless craigslist pages in cities multiple states away. I've been a car kid all my life, since I was about 2, I started drawing them, and fell in love! I've adored BMW's since right around there too (Different video games, relatives with BMW's, and their styling/performance all reeled me in).
    So my dad has a friend that works on BMW's and knows a ton about them, so my dad said "Well I guess your first car is going to be a BMW" (1991-2003) (The guy might be able to lend a hand) and of course I was happy jumping to conclusions thinking I was going to get an M car. About 4 months in, my dad's friend took me for a spin in his (1995) E36 M3 and I fell in love, once it hit 4500 RPM, the exhaust tone was heavenly, and I couldn't stop thinking about it! However that also happened to be the same day that the same guy told my dad an M car would be not a great first car, due to the lack of certain driving aids and how performance oriented they are.
    Now my question is, how do you explain/give reasoning for wanting an M3, to someone who sees almost all cars as just cars, and just happens to see this one as a teenager hungry death machine? (My dad's pretty strict, hes taught me to be responsible, and hes told me no matter what car I get he will monitor speeds and have a dashcam, so I don't see thaaaat much reasoning to be so opposed to them considering the amount of precautions/regulations hes taking.) I just don't know how to explain the love for the M3 vs. the E36 328is or something less capable, but I know it's there. Or is it my fault, like, am I being unreasonable wanting a sports car as a first car?

I don't know, I guess I just want a little reasoning for getting an M3 because I'm kind of desperate considering the abundant amount of reasoning against it he's been exposed to.

Sorry for the rambling back story, I just wanted to show that I'm not some kid who has starting liking cars just because hes planning on getting one soon, this has been a lifelong thing

(Mainly lookin at E36's (OBD1 M3 DDD) and some low end E46's)

Sorry if I sound like an idiot or a stuck up jerk(If I do, let me know! I don't wanna continue sounding like one) , this is my first time posting and I really don't know what to expect, just kinda wanting more outside input.

Update: Bought an M3. I was looking for E46 330's or E36 328's but after 8 months of getting a feel of what was a good price in my area, the deal was too good to pass up. $4950 for a 1997 M3 sedan, 127k miles, very good to excellent condition, luxury package, manual, aftermarket wheels, headlights, taillights, exhaust, and it is lowered. Rust free. For another $500 I got a fancy DVD player radio, the original M Contours with tires, and original headlights. Compared to the other cars "flying off the shelves" for $2000 over KBB book value in my area, this seemed like the best deal I had seen.

My dad drove one, and saw it really wasn't as crazy fast as he thought, and felt a little better. I did all the work, researched the car, found the car, called about the car, made the offer and paid all of my savings from last years summer job, and part of next years job. (This is money I haven't even earned yet)

I turn 16 in December.

Currently learning how to drive stick.
    Last edited by IfIHadSomeBacon; 03-29-2014 at 03:58 PM.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    I know how you feel cause I was once in your shoes, I would not advise getting an M3 for your first car. They may not be fast by today's standards but its certainly a quick car. I can tell you that if my first car was an e36 M3 it would have been wrapped around a tree. I'm only 20 now but I have certainly matured when it comes to driving and can't believe the stupid shit I used to do in my old car (acura 3.2 tl type s). Buy an e36 318 or 325 if you want one and learn to drive better on that. The most important part of a car is what is in between the drivers seat and steering wheel. Once the time comes that you get your M3 you will appreciate it more, I know I did.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Sedan
    I'm a little dissapointed, but I understand, surprisingly, the phrase "wrapped around a tree" has been used many times while I've been talked to :S What would you say about an E46 330Ci? It's got about the same power, same price (Lower sometimes) but weight is different, is that dangerous to drive? :S

My Cars
    2004 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmerri52 View Post
    I know how you feel cause I was once in your shoes, I would not advise getting an M3 for your first car. They may not be fast by today's standards but its certainly a quick car. I can tell you that if my first car was an e36 M3 it would have been wrapped around a tree. I'm only 20 now but I have certainly matured when it comes to driving and can't believe the stupid shit I used to do in my old car (acura 3.2 tl type s). Buy an e36 318 or 325 if you want one and learn to drive better on that. The most important part of a car is what is in between the drivers seat and steering wheel. Once the time comes that you get your M3 you will appreciate it more, I know I did.
    oh god you're very right, if i had my m3 when i started driving i guarantee to 100% it wouldn't be around to this day.

My Cars
    2005 Mini Cooper S
    An m for a first car? Start saving. Your 14 get a bicycle.

My Cars
    911, 95 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by bav 325i View Post
    An m for a first car? Start saving. Your 14 get a bicycle.
    You're bad at giving advice and spelling. I doubt this person is actually 14, it's just someone looking to get a bunch of angry responses from idiots.

Edit: And before anyone says it, the E36 M3 does not have too much power/performance for a new driver. My 90 year old Grandma could drive my cammed E36.
    Last edited by gbreeE90; 11-07-2013 at 12:46 AM.

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe
    Don't get an M3, it will result in too many tickets. I've gotten around 8 and I'm 18.

My Cars
    1998 m3 coupe, 68 FJ40
    man when I was 16-19 I used to pull the e brake at high speeds in my SI just to scare my friends. I learned understeer when I was doing 135 at 2am going over the pass and went into oncoming lane touching the shoulder while my buddy was passed out in the pass seat...Thank god I didn't have an M. I'd probably start with a cheapo 3 series e36. Great platform to lear on, then when you find what you do and dont want in a car, and how to work on them, step up to a M3.

My Cars
    1997 328is
    I would recommend driving a crummy car for a bit so you'll appreciate the BMW even more. If you get an M, get one that needs some work, and fix it up. Hopefully you'll bond with the car and baby it because of all the work you put in.

My Cars
    1989 BMW E30 316i
    dont get m3. for first car, ever.....
    Im 23 now, i bought my first car 2,5 years ago, its an E30 316i. Good learning. You know, its not everything about power, but also its RWD. So i would recommend a less powerful car, nor the 325i or 320i. Get first a 316 / 318i / 318is. Learn them, after that, i would get a 325i with LSD diff, and only after that the M3.
    U can feel good in a less powerful car also, trust me. I has my 316i e30, now i have a 325i e36 with lsd diff also. I have to get used to power and everything. Big power with zero driving experience will cause accidents. If u have power, u WILL use it, everyone does.

My Cars
    E30 (Delores), W123
    You seem like a mature and precocious 14 year old. Good writing, too. You remind me of myself about 10 years ago

I was actually in a similar spot - I was set on getting an E30 and my dad had similar 'teenager hungry death machine' thoughts at the notion of me getting a BMW (which to him was some kind of thing that only reckless drivers would buy). Anyways, I saved up my own cash and bought one myself before I even had my license. Since I had worked for the car and this showed a certain maturity that actually made him proud of my purchase. Now, almost 10 years later, I still have the car (see sig), and it's been a great car.

With all of that said, you dad is right. An E36 M3 is just too much car for a first driver. By today's standards, it's not the fastest car around. But, its very character of the car is one that promotes performance driving, and that temptation is going to be too much for you. I know, I know, you're different, you're not just any 14 year old - blah blah we all think that. The reality is that the M3 is a car that likes to be driven, and you're a guy who likes to drive. Worse yet, you're a guy who likes to drive, yet has an undeveloped brain (not an insult, but just science) - you don't have the grey matter to make good decisions and understand consequences. Why do you think your friends are all a bunch of fucktards? It's not their fault. I, too, was perhaps more mature than my peers - that didn't stop me from spinning my E30 into a wall thinking I was a drift king in a neighborhood.

It's a first car... you're going to crash it, your friends are going to spill their taco bell in it, your high school parking lot is going to be full of inexperienced drivers in beater cars, etc. There's so many reasons to wait for the M3. Just get a regular E30, E36, or E46 and enjoy it.

My Cars
    14' Nissan Note, 04' E55
    Quote Originally Posted by KevRC4130 View Post
    You seem like a mature and precocious 14 year old. Good writing, too. You remind me of myself about 10 years ago

I was actually in a similar spot - I was set on getting an E30 and my dad had similar 'teenager hungry death machine' thoughts at the notion of me getting a BMW (which to him was some kind of thing that only reckless drivers would buy). Anyways, I saved up my own cash and bought one myself before I even had my license. Since I had worked for the car and this showed a certain maturity that actually made him proud of my purchase. Now, almost 10 years later, I still have the car (see sig), and it's been a great car.

With all of that said, you dad is right. An E36 M3 is just too much car for a first driver. By today's standards, it's not the fastest car around. But, its very character of the car is one that promotes performance driving, and that temptation is going to be too much for you. I know, I know, you're different, you're not just any 14 year old - blah blah we all think that. The reality is that the M3 is a car that likes to be driven, and you're a guy who likes to drive. Worse yet, you're a guy who likes to drive, yet has an undeveloped brain (not an insult, but just science) - you don't have the grey matter to make good decisions and understand consequences. Why do you think your friends are all a bunch of fucktards? It's not their fault. I, too, was perhaps more mature than my peers - that didn't stop me from spinning my E30 into a wall thinking I was a drift king in a neighborhood.

It's a first car... you're going to crash it, your friends are going to spill their taco bell in it, your high school parking lot is going to be full of inexperienced drivers in beater cars, etc. There's so many reasons to wait for the M3. Just get a regular E30, E36, or E46 and enjoy it.
    This man speaks the truth. Also the fucking taco bell.

My Cars
    911, 95 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by KevRC4130 View Post
    An E36 M3 is just too much car for a first driver.
    No its not.

My Cars
    1998 BMW E46 328i MSport
    A high powered RWD car is a real bad choice for a new driver.

Aim for something around a 323-330 if you really want one though. They aren't weak cars by any means. Got a 328 myself, I doubt you'd be disappointed with the power they put out.
    Take care though, decent powered RWD cars aren't for idiots. Act like a fool and the car will punish you.

My Cars
    2009 BMW 135i
    Get a cheap beater for a first car. I wouldn't park anything I cared about in a high school parking lot. And not to sound like the rest of the too much car crowd but I know If I had anything with decent power as a first car I would be dead by now.

You may be more responsible than the rest of us but I doubt it.

My Cars
    2015 X1 & 2000 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by MaddmattH View Post
    A high powered RWD car is a real bad choice for a new driver.

Aim for something around a 323-330 if you really want one though. They aren't weak cars by any means. Got a 328 myself, I doubt you'd be disappointed with the power they put out.
    Take care though, decent powered RWD cars aren't for idiots. Act like a fool and the car will punish you.
    An e36 m3 isn't a high powered car...

My Cars
    2005 Mini Cooper S
    Quote Originally Posted by gbreeE90 View Post
    Edit: And before anyone says it, the E36 M3 does not have too much power/performance for a new driver. My 90 year old Grandma could drive my cammed E36.
    That's one hell of a grandmother

My Cars
    2001 e46 325
    No its not.
    yes it is. While a Camery has more power than an E36 M3 its still more than a brand new driver needs or can handle. This site is littered with 17 and 18 year olds trying to find the limits of their old M3s and find their way into trees. Some experience behind the wheel is more important than having an M3.
    Last edited by Weller22; 11-07-2013 at 10:00 AM.

downeaster1 is offline Expert De-Vanos-er BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    135is #502 of 586
    I'm 23 and here is my input: My first car was an E36 with S50 (power wise, identical to an M3). I had a blast with it. However, I have also had my fair share of accidents in it. I still have the car to this day and have loved every minute with it. I have a small fleet of BMW's now; most with more power than the E36 I started with, but in retrospect, I would feel perfectly comfortable with my future kid driving one. Either that, or an early 90's volvo. Just learn as much as you can about them so you can do your own work when things fail, and know that you are driving a performance car. It can be dangerous, but it's all up to the driver. What I would have done differently is signed up for the BMW Car Club of America much earlier and done one of their street survival schools and later on high performance driving event. You will learn a lot about your car and the limits of it at these events, and in turn will make you a better driver.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    No its not.
    I know right? E36 high powered? Lollllll

Ohnoes!! RWD! 200hp!! I'm gonna die!!!

Seriously guys, grow some nuts.

My Cars
    1998 m3 coupe, 68 FJ40
    Quote Originally Posted by timsev View Post
    I know right? E36 high powered? Lollllll

Ohnoes!! RWD! 200hp!! I'm gonna die!!!

Seriously guys, grow some nuts.
    Everyone is entitled to opinions.

What's funny is I bought my e36 MP3 from a 16yo. Mid saved up 5k then got a loan out for another 4k. Busted his ass to buy the car, then money shifted it. Got a quote at the tune of $3200 for all the work needed. Sold the car for $4500 not running. Kid couldn't afford the work. That's a spendy lesson learned.

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    Quote Originally Posted by Weller22 View Post
    yes it is. While a Camery has more power than an E36 M3 its still more than a brand new driver needs or can handle. This site is littered with 17 and 18 year olds trying to find the limits of their old M3s and find their way into trees. Some experience behind the wheel is more important than having an M3.
    Exactly. Any car that will sprint to 60 in under 6 seconds and see the other side of 150 mph is too much for a new driver.

Can it be driven sensibly and in a way that wouldn't be dangerous? Yes it can, thousands of them do. A 16 year old driver is not someone who will treat it with respect ... at 16, everyone thinks they're invincible, the world's best driver and everything else ... when you add in a car full of friends it only gets worse.

My Cars
    E36 M3, W204 C63, etc et
    E36 M3 is my second car and I'm mid 20s. No tickets because I drive conservatively and responsibly *rolls eyes* . Jk these cars are fun for a decently experienced driver. These cars at a young age will get you in trouble because they're too damn fun to drive and the sound is incredible. Not helping your point... great car, but learn to drive first.

At 14 can you even get your license? Here in CA you're on restrictions for a year or until 18, w/e comes first I think. Insurance will be a good amount unless you register it under your dad and put your name under an older and less liable car.

Learn to drive under your dads for 2 years then go out and find an M3 and when you got money for the maintenance and loads full of aftermarket parts

My Cars
    2004 mazda 3
    . are you even allow to drive at 14??

If I was your dad I wouldnt even allow you to have your own car to be honest. What happened to the good old times where dad would first allow you to drive his mini van with him beside you and you had a big smile turning in the parking lot of the grocery store . Or the first time he allowed you to take his car by yourself and you thought you were the baddest driver

your dad may be worry that your reasoning for wanting the M3 is basically more power, speed . Reading your post you mentioned how amazed you were by the power of the car. You obviously are not going to the track to test that , the only other place to do it is in the streets. I ll be a little worry about that too

I m with your dad on this pal. Be thankfull that he at least he is allowing you to have the 328 , most dads would spank you if you ask them for a car at 14

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Sedan
    I am 14, but I appreciate you assuming I'm older

- - - Updated - - -

Well the same guy that took me for a spin in his M actually is a "BMW Certified" (Idk what that means but ok) track driving instructor and he told my dad about an inexpensive "track day" at a nearby track, but you're probably right because it still is a little pricey for my standards. And I gotta pay a huge part of this car, and it's a project more than just a driving car, if I asked for a car already that wasn't a "project", my dad would probably decline. But thanks for the input

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast