Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have Poly SF bushings on their year round dd?

My Cars
    01 3.0i Roady

Anyone have Poly SF bushings on their year round dd?

I have been planning to put some poly sub frame bushings on for a while now as a preventative and performance mod. The indy shop I was going to said that their distributer (a major VW, BMW distributer) said these have a tendency to fail/crack/squeak very quickly if used in a year round DD especially in New England winters. They said go OEM or full aluminum...I said.

I put a call in to Bav auto and they told me no failure problems to speak of but the squeak may become an issue because the year round use will wear out the lubricant. I thought that this would be a problem with a more mobile suspension part like say, control arm poly bushings (not my plan). If I only do the SF bushings then they really should not experience that much movement right? Does anyone have them on a DD and if so what's your experience with the longevity of these bad boys.

My Cars
    '01 Z3 3.0i Roadster
    Don't have them yet but longevity is excellent on these as they are in a static position (that is, non-rotating, only side loads). For the same reason, squeaking isn't an issue either. You generally don't even lube the SF bushings when installing except for MAYBE a little bit on the outside to help them slide into the subframe.
    Last edited by dkindig; 10-24-2013 at 12:52 PM.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    The same set(s) have been on both of my cars since 2004, and they were daily drivers in Ohio (until 1-1/2 years ago). While the gray car saw very limited winter use__only on clean/dry roads__the black car was, as is still, my daily driver.

There is no downside to the urethane subframe bushings__unless you have particularly sensitive hearing, and drive a Coupe__as in this application, they netiher slide nor rotate, limiting wear and zero chance of squeaking.

I have never recommended they be used in our front or rear suspensions, unless you're a dyed in the wool track rat, or have a particularly loud exhaust__for obvious reasons...

My Cars
    01 3.0i Roady
    Awesome, thanks guys. You have set a restless mind at ease!

My Cars
    BMW
    I've been running PowerFlex Blacks in my E36M for years and it's handled many Ohio winters of DD duty with no issues. I'm running just about everything PF on the car, the FCABS I do grease about once a year, the rest of them I don't think I've touched for year or two.... so now I'm going to slather them all in a coat of grease since I'm thinking about it. No serious squeaks from them to speak of, no issues with cracking, nothing but a nice tight car.

-James

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe, ZHP, E46 M3
    You will not regret the poly subframe bushings. You will however regret doing RTAB's in poly. I have a pretty loud exhaust so I never hear them while cruising, but on a rough driveway they are very squeaky.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3, 2014 M235i
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnNiks View Post
    You will not regret the poly subframe bushings. You will however regret doing RTAB's in poly. I have a pretty loud exhaust so I never hear them while cruising, but on a rough driveway they are very squeaky.
    You can re lube them. They make a needle type injector for just this purpose I think. In any case mine used to squeak really bad, but apparently over time they can loosen up slightly and start squeaking because the inner sleeve starts to move a bit. Try re tightening them.

Suspension: Bilstein Sports, GC Coilover conversion, IE Subframe Bushings, IE RTABs, M roadster sways, M roadster front control arms, M roadster Front calipers/hubs.
    Engine/Driveline: M54B30 intake Manifold, Dinan CAI, ZHP Cams, Headers, Underdrive pulleys, Conforti Software, 3.46 diff.

My Cars
    1997 M3/4/5
    I've had poly subframe bushings on mine for a while now, probably over 10,000 miles at this point. I had a set of the bad batch IE greens, but then switched to Powerflex Purple and have had no issues since. Yes there is a bit more NVH transfer, but the peace of mind in knowing your chances of trunk floor failure have decreased makes it worth it.

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    Buy a tub of this & use it generously when assembling.

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...shing-Lube.asp

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Flak View Post
    ... I had a set of the bad batch IE greens...
    Are all the green IE bushings bad? I just received a set of greens from them a couple of weeks ago.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage42 View Post
    Are all the green IE bushings bad? I just received a set of greens from them a couple of weeks ago.
    No! Mine are over nine (>9) years old.

I've installed them on at least a hundred (>100) cars, and I'm only away of a couple (at least one__Donny/keys coupe) that had a problem. Donny contacted Ireland and they sent him another pair.

My Cars
    99shu,77 911, 85 e24
    little squeak issue from the PF FCAB in the beginning due to not using enough grease but smooth sailing since

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    ... I just received a set of greens from them a couple of weeks ago.
    I ordered the black bushings shown on IE's site:
    http://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/Z3-s...bfrmmount.html
    But the bushings they sent are green.
    Is there any difference besides color?

My Cars
    e30 m3, 99 M Roady
    I ordered the black bushings shown on IE's site:
    But the bushings they sent are green.
    Is there any difference besides color?
    the difference is probably in your monitor.

the bushings in that link are green.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Now I see, they are a very dark green in the link, so dark I mistook them for black:
    The ones I got are a lighter green, like the right one here:
    attachment.php
    But it must the same green with different lighting.

Just installed the IR SFB in my '97 Roaster.Boy did it make a difference,rides better,handles better.tightened up the rear end big time.I am very happy with the results!

Sent from my iPhone using BF.com

My Cars
    1997 z3 roadster
    But it must the same green with different lighting.
    Yup Irish green I guess. Happens to be what I put in last winter. Nice improvement.
    It's a Hybrid--Burns Gas and Rubber

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRedZ View Post
    Yup Irish green I guess. Happens to be what I put in last winter. Nice improvement.
    Did you put them in yourself? Using the home-made pipe tool? How much did you have to undo? Some DIYs take off more than others to access the bushings.

My Cars
    1997 z3 roadster
    It was fairly extensive, I did the eccentrics and rtab bushings at the same time. I used the pipe tool and a propane torch after the "subframe" was out.
    image2.jpg
    It's a Hybrid--Burns Gas and Rubber

I had to use very little heat from the propane torch to get the old bushings moving,I did not burn any of the coating on the subframe,used the pipe tool,worked very well.

Sent from my iPhone using BF.com

My Cars
    2019 Camaro 2SS 1LE M6
    Sorry if this is a necro bump.

I think I may be talking to the same independent BMW tuning shop that the OP did, they are being very negative about this mod... I'm glad I found this thread, I'm going to go ahead and get a pair of these bushings ASAP. What's everybodys favorite make/model of bushing? I'm seeing a lot of different types being mentioned here.

My Cars
    '01 Z3 3.0i Roadster
    Just out of curiosity, I would love to hear what their negatives were on this. As far as I'm aware the only negative I have heard so far is a slight increase in driveline noise transmission to the body.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3, 2014 M235i
    I would say almost no negatives for this, only positive things in my opinion so far.

Suspension: Bilstein Sports, GC Coilover conversion, IE Subframe Bushings, IE RTABs, M roadster sways, M roadster front control arms, M roadster Front calipers/hubs.
    Engine/Driveline: M54B30 intake Manifold, Dinan CAI, ZHP Cams, Headers, Underdrive pulleys, Conforti Software, 3.46 diff.

My Cars
    2019 Camaro 2SS 1LE M6
    That was funny. Asked a fellow car guy at work what he thought about this whole mess, showed him the AKG bushings that Pelican sells, noticed that they have "75D" and "85A" and I asked what that meant, he comes back with this a moment later

75D basically feels like solid plastic...

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 M Roadster
    I installed PowerFlex bushings when I rebuilt my rear subframe. I don't know for sure, but had heard that the PowerFlex might be a softer durameter urethane than some others. I haven't really noticed any increase in noise or vibration.

Last edited by Z3MRacer; 05-17-2014 at 05:55 PM.
    Z3M Racer '99 M Roadster

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast