Thread: Does anyone know anything about E90 Drop Hats/Spring hats?

My Cars
    M Coupe & i3

Does anyone know anything about E90 Drop Hats/Spring hats?

I lowered the M Coupe on H&R Sport springs about two weeks ago. The rear sits where I'd like it to, but the front is a bit higher than I would like. I know E30/E36?/E46 people use E90 drop hats/spring hats to lower the front by 10-13mm (I can't remember the mm drop they provide). I'm curious if they'd work on our cars. Removing the front strut and spring is easy, but I'd rather not remove everything to find out it won't work.

I searched and no one has really touched base on the subject.

-Eric
    i3 & Z3 M Coupe

My Cars
    00 Mshoe
    If it fits an e36 I would guess is it would fit our cars.

Disclaimer: I have not done nor looked into this but the front suspension is the same.

My Cars
    M Coupe & i3
    Quote Originally Posted by robb1887 View Post
    If it fits an e36 I would guess is it would fit our cars.

Disclaimer: I have not done nor looked into this but the front suspension is the same.
    This is true. I've only found mixed reviews regarding them on E36's.
    i3 & Z3 M Coupe

My Cars
    TurboVert, MCoupe, 335xi
    I'm the person that originally posted on R3V about the E90 hats with pictures few years ago. Some of the E30 owners are super cheap and don't mind spending an evening wrenching on their car to save a few $$. My advice would be to use a different spring. The E90 hats might work if you are looking for only a 10mm or so drop, but most people want a bit more than that. When I checked, the spring profile seemed to be pretty common up top and E36 springs should fit the E90 hats.

My Cars
    e30 m3, 99 M Roady
    What does being an e30 owner have to do with being super cheap and what does that have to do with wanting to work on your own car?

My Cars
    TurboVert, MCoupe, 335xi
    Quote Originally Posted by ADAz3M View Post
    What does being an e30 owner have to do with being super cheap and what does that have to do with wanting to work on your own car?
    You imply that I said ALL E30 owners...when in fact I said SOME E30 owners. There is a point where being cheap doesn't make sense.
    Read the original R3V thread...some people were cuttings springs a little and using E90 spring perches...modified...to get a small drop. It turned out to be a hack job for some people. Sure, you can save a few dollars for an extra few millimeters of drop, but to many it's not worth it.

My Cars
    e30 m3, 99 M Roady
    Quote Originally Posted by EMC View Post
    You imply that I said ALL E30 owners...when in fact I said SOME E30 owners. There is a point where being cheap doesn't make sense.
    Read the original R3V thread...some people were cuttings springs a little and using E90 spring perches...modified...to get a small drop. It turned out to be a hack job for some people. Sure, you can save a few dollars for an extra few millimeters of drop, but to many it's not worth it.
    Agree to disagree on what was implied by the original statement

My Cars
    M Coupe & i3
    I'm the person that originally posted on R3V about the E90 hats with pictures few years ago. Some of the E30 owners are super cheap and don't mind spending an evening wrenching on their car to save a few $$. My advice would be to use a different spring. The E90 hats might work if you are looking for only a 10mm or so drop, but most people want a bit more than that. When I checked, the spring profile seemed to be pretty common up top and E36 springs should fit the E90 hats.
    Yeah I'm not looking for a huge drop. Either way, I appreciate the assistance!

Yesterday evening I purchased two E90 Hats from work. I'll probably tackle it this weekend. It's not a hard job at all and I'm looking forward to the results.
    i3 & Z3 M Coupe

My Cars
    Z3M Coupe & Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by ADAz3M View Post
    Agree to disagree on what was implied by the original statement
    You don't count as an E30 owner. You are an E30 M3 owner lol. E30 crowd gets contagious ideas - like the hideous Volvo lip..

My Cars
    M Coupe & i3
    Quote Originally Posted by jajou318 View Post
    You don't count as an E30 owner. You are an E30 M3 owner lol. E30 crowd gets contagious ideas - like the hideous Volvo lip..
    This is true, haha. I came from two E30s (I swapped an M50 in my last one as the stroker M20 wouldn't pass emissions..haha). I never understood the Volvo lip when you could purchase an iS lip.
    i3 & Z3 M Coupe

My Cars
    e30 m3, 99 M Roady
    Quote Originally Posted by jajou318 View Post

My Cars
    TurboVert, MCoupe, 335xi
    The drop hats probably make more sense on an E36 based car. I think the tapered washer on the bottom of the hats will work with an E36 strut. iirc...Seems like the E30 guys had to grind them off.

My Cars
    M Coupe & i3
    The drop hats probably make more sense on an E36 based car. I think the tapered washer on the bottom of the hats will work with an E36 strut. iirc...Seems like the E30 guys had to grind them off.
    Good to know. I greatly appreciate your advice!
    i3 & Z3 M Coupe

My Cars
    M Coupe & i3
    So, to put this to rest...E90 drop hats did not fit on my Z3 M Coupe.
    i3 & Z3 M Coupe

My Cars
    99 M3
    Z3 M uses same spring ‘hat’ as 1996+M3.
    1995M3 and 1996+M3 have different upper spring diameter, 1995 is slightly larger diameter.
    Z3 2.8L/3.0L use same ‘hat’ as 325/323/328.
    325/323/328 ‘hat’ accepts same diameter spring as 1995M3 which has a slightly different configuration without the extra length flange. As I recall the 1995M3 ‘hat’ is also slightly taller or deeper, not as deep as E9X ‘hat’.
    I believe the car these were first reportedly used on was a 328, with a centered Guide Support bearing pad.
    In theory, the E9X ‘hat’ should fit the E36 325/323/328 and 1995M3/1995M3 fitment springs.
    Last edited by bluptgm3; 01-06-2022 at 03:32 PM.

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    I am looking at options to drop front of my 2.8 too a few mm. Does that mean there is a big chance E9X hat will be bolt-on part for me? Using Bilstein B8 with AC Schnitzer (which is probably rebranded Eibach) lowering springs. Anyone can share the part numbers for those E9X hats, please?

My Cars
    99 M3

Does anyone know anything about E90 Drop Hats/Spring hats?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=31_0716

#9 and #10

Wading thru the ‘chatter’ on rev3limited there seems to be mixed reviews on interference with the Strut Mount/Guide Support/Bearing Plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bluptgm3; 10-18-2017 at 09:40 AM.

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Some Z3 owners are super cheap.

z3tape.jpg
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    Z3M Coupe & Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by s8ilver View Post

z3tape.jpg
    lol. As long as we aren't on the same boat as some E30 owners. There was a phase (not sure if still) where they used volvo lips and Taurus skirts.

My Cars
    99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by s8ilver View Post
    I’m missing the relevance to this discussion LOL!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk