RM European Auto Parts

Thread: The engine suddenly stops while driving.

My Cars
    BMW 318 2002 E46 N42

The engine suddenly stops while driving.

Hi boys and girls!

The engine suddenly stops while driving. This happens about every 10 km, but never during the first 10 km after a cold start.
    When the engine stops, the red lamp with the battery symbol lights up.
    Often the engine stop is only for a short moment before the engine starts again, but sometimes the stop lasts for some seconds.
    Some few times I have to stop the car and start the engine again.
    But it is never a problem to start it again.
    I read the trouble codes with PA soft 1.3.6, but there were so many errors that I decided to erase the error codes and run the car again until I have got some new errors.
    See the error codes below:

DME:
    Error code 2781(hex) Camshaft sensor, intake
    Error code 2731(hex) Inlet camshaft control
    Error code 27BB(hex) Exhaust camshaft control
    Error code 277F(hex) Crankshift sensor – speed (I suppose it should be Crankshaft sensor – speed)

ABS: (This two errors was from the beginning and I was not able to erase them).
    Error code 5DF4(hex) Power supply to low
    Error code 5E1A(hex) CAN DME/DDE signal error

I should be very grateful if you could give me some ideas how to solve the problem.
    Last edited by swedenbimmer; 09-21-2013 at 03:12 PM.

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    It would help if you can tell us what year/model of BMW that you have. Otherwise we have to assume it is the car in you basic info on the right side.

- - - Updated - - -

So with that I would say that you have camshaft sensor issues, either the sensor is bad or the Solenoid valve is bad.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    BMW 318 2002 E46 N42

BMW 318 E46 2002 Motor N42

My car is BMW 318 E46 2002 Motor N42
    I have erased the fault codes again and made a new trip until the motor stopped again for a short moment (about 0,5 sec).
    After that I read following codes in DME:
    Error code 2781(hex) Camshaft sensor, intake
    Error code 2731(hex) Inlet camshaft Control
    Looks to me that it has something to the with the camshaft sensors.
    Could that sensors cause the motor to stop?
    Or could any other faults cause this error codes?
    Anyone how knows the functions of this sensors?
    Very grateful if you could help me.
    Last edited by swedenbimmer; 09-21-2013 at 03:12 PM.

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Normally a crankshaft sensor will cause the motor to quit running, but I cannot be for sure if both the Solenoid valve and sensor is bad if it would cause the car to stall. Can you read live data with the carsoft program?
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    I could see a bad crank sensor causing a cam sensor code, or killing the motor. I can't see a cam sensor or vanos issue causing a crank sensor code, though. So given the info above, I'd buy a crank sensor, then clear codes and see if any problems or codes recur. Certainly, watching live data might help isolate the fault, but I'd think "catching" the event will be very difficult. Sensors I buy from the dealer, by the way, never ever off e-bay......

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471