Thread: 96 z3 side view mirrors

My Cars
    1996 bmw z3

96 z3 side view mirrors

I need some advise on how to replace or repair the side view mirrors. My1996 z3 needs paint and I can not remove the mirrors. I think they should fold to expose mounting screws but I can not get them to fold. any help?

My Cars
    98 Roadster 2.8L
    Here are some instructions I put together in the past, same for your mirrors... read the entire thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...mirror+removal

My Cars
    00 M '96 Z3
    Turn the upper part of the mirror toward the inside of the car. This will expose the hex head screws that you need to remove.
    2011 Z4
    2010 MB GLK 350
    2000 M Roady
    1998 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC
    1996 Z3

My Cars
    98 Roadster 2.8L
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazmanian Devil View Post
    Turn the upper part of the mirror toward the inside of the car. This will expose the hex head screws that you need to remove.
    PULL & Turn... Method 1 from Post #2... Be Careful!!! Likely has never been moved since it was manufactured ;-)

My Cars
    1996 bmw z3
    Thanks for the help. I can not get them to move at all. I have sone plastic trin wedges that I tried to drive under the joint but still could not get to move. any other ideas?

My Cars
    98 Roadster 2.8L
    You could also attempt using some PB Blaster between then outer plastic shell and the base to free the joint... it can cause damage to the paint, but sounds like a repaint is already in order.

Method #2 in Post #2 is your next and only other option.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 Roadster
    There are several links on mirror removal in the Manifesto thread at the top of the page.
    For me, there was no way to turn the mirrors. After removing the mirrors by disassembling them, I soaked the pivot pieces in penetrating oil for a month without freeing them. The pot-metal was just too corroded in the pivots.
    Removal-by-disassembly has the added advantage of not needing to remove the door liner to disconnect the wires. And you will need to disassemble them anyway.
    Once they are apart, you need to clean-up the bases, maybe fill the pits with body putty, and paint with epoxy primer before the finish coats. I used a detail paint gun that I bought really cheaply at Harbor Freight. You can also find them on Amazon and Ebay.

My Cars
    01 BMW 330ci convertible
    I had this same problem on my 96 when I was upgrading them to the M mirrors. The best way to do this was to unclip the mirror itself.
    1. First, point the mirror as far up as possible.
    2. Take a flat head screw driver and slip it between the bottom of the mirror.
    3. Slowly lift the mirror up, you should hear a slight pop. This is the mirror unlaching from the tab.
    4. Put something to keep the mirror from relaching on as you pop off the remaining tabs. There are four tabls as shown in the link above.
    5. Once you have the mirror removed, unscrew the four bolts that hold the plastic casing together.
    6. From there you will have access to the hex bolts that connect the mirror to the door.

Note: I was too worried about breaking the mirror, however, this method was such an easy way to remove and replace the side mirrors. Worse case is that you break the mirror, but that's only going to cost you $10 to replace. So the risk of taking the side mirrors off this way was worth the risk and was less strenouous. Once you have them removed, it will be easier to turn the mirror and you'll have less fear of breaking anything. Good luck and I hope this has helped.
    2001 BMW 330 CI
    2006 Merc C230

My Cars
    Millenium Falcon
    /\/\

Beat me to it.

Do not force the mirror if it is not rotating freely. You will break it... ask me how I know. Twice.

Don't worry about breaking the mirror glass using the above method. It comes off easily, which I've done a few times on each side.

My Cars
    01 BMW 330ci convertible
    Props to Kyle, he was the one who gave me the above instructions on how to take care of the mirror. Thanks again Kyle, you're always a great resourse.
    2001 BMW 330 CI
    2006 Merc C230

My Cars
    1996 bmw z3
    Thanks to all. This glass removal method worked perfect, about 1/2 hour for the first one and about 5 min. for the second. Thanks again. A real help!!