Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LS7/T56 in Z4 build

My Cars
    2003 Z4 Roadster

LS7/T56 in Z4 build

Deleted
    Last edited by V8Z4; 10-17-2017 at 12:56 PM.
    Chris

My Cars
    99 528iT
    Yes, but the T56 is substantially heavier than the box you are removing. I would guess that my five speed was about 50 lbs - much lighter than I expected. The T56 feels more like double that, and that's with an aluminum bellhousing and no shift mechanism attached.

This is going to be a great project!
    :: 1999 BMW 528iT ::
    LS3 / T56 swapped

My Cars
    96 328is 6.0L
    Quote Originally Posted by AutoRotate View Post
    Yes, but the T56 is substantially heavier than the box you are removing. I would guess that my five speed was about 50 lbs - much lighter than I expected. The T56 feels more like double that, and that's with an aluminum bellhousing and no shift mechanism attached.

T56 is havier, but that extra weight is down low and towards the middle of the car where it does not have as bad of an effect.

Also, don't forget that LSx brings the weight significantly lower as it is not as tall as M5x and it is much shorter too. Only 4 Cyl. long. It makes BMW almost a mid-engine car as you only have about half of cylinder passed the front axel.
    - 96 328is 6.0L. (LS1 to LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ad.php?2098938)
    - 96 328is 5.7L. (LS1 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1289987)
    - 95 ///M3 6.0L. (LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1619249)

- 97 ///M3. (e46 Fender Flares/track car build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1727098)
    - 96 328is (Dual Fuel Pump to Surge Tank thread: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?1964025)

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Holy crap!!!

My Cars
    2003 G35 Sedan 6spd
    Subscribed, looking forward to seeing more! :

Sold: - 1996 Supercharged BMW M3 Coupe, 2003 Infiniti M45

My Cars
    2003 Z4 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by bimerok View Post
    T56 is havier, but that extra weight is down low and towards the middle of the car where it does not have as bad of an effect.

Also, don't forget that LSx brings the weight significantly lower as it is not as tall as M5x and it is much shorter too. Only 4 Cyl. long. It makes BMW almost a mid-engine car as you only have about half of cylinder passed the front axel.

While I could not find the exact weight of the Z4 trans, the dry shipping weight of a Getrag 420G (6MT) is said to be ~140lbs (so take off 20lbs of packaging and you have ~120lbs). The Getrag 420G is said to be 25lbs heavier than the ZF320 (5MT). So for easy calculation, say the BMW 5 speed was 100lbs.

The T56 has a dry weight of 125lbs with no bellhousing, so add 20lbs for the SFI steel bellhousing I have at lets just say 150lbs dry.

So 50lbs difference (at most) between the BMW 5 speed and the T56. Also take into consideration that I'm running an 18lb aluminum flywheel vs the stock BMW 26lb flywheel (so now 40lbs difference at most).

I keep hearing this argument from people (that the LS/T56 is heavier) but it's irrelevant (if even true). Look, nobody thinks twice about tossing 150+ lbs of supercharger/turbocharger (compressor, brackets, pipe, intercoolers, etc) on the BMW engine. If 150+ lbs of supercharger/turbocharger doesn't make the car handle poorly, how is 100lbs (at most) of LS/T56 is going present a problem?

Now going further, as bimerok pointed out the LS/T56 is lower and further back in the car. In my case, the front face of the LS block is 6" further back than where the M54 was! That means the center of mass for the engine/trans has shifted back quite a bit, so even IF the LS/T56 is heavier that is weight sitting more mid-car rather than front (the transmission yoke is practically dead center between the front/rear wheel base).
    Last edited by V8Z4; 09-08-2013 at 04:16 PM.
    Chris

My Cars
    2008 BMW Z4 3.0si
    Looks like there may be hope for my Z4 in the future after all! Looking forward to seeing the progress.

My Cars
    99 528iT
    I agree with everything you said, I'm just telling you what I've found with my own parts. Good luck!
    :: 1999 BMW 528iT ::
    LS3 / T56 swapped

My Cars
    2003 Z4 Roadster
    I actually had a guy with a supercharged Z4M roadster tell me my Z4 would handle like "crap" with the LS7. I asked him "how much did your supercharger weigh?" and he said "only about 150lb." LOL
    Chris

My Cars
    96 328is 6.0L
    Quote Originally Posted by V8Z4 View Post
    I actually had a guy with a supercharged Z4M roadster tell me my Z4 would handle like "crap" with the LS7. I asked him "how much did your supercharger weigh?" and he said "only about 150lb." LOL
    LOL and it's "only the furthest" thing on his engine.
    - 96 328is 6.0L. (LS1 to LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ad.php?2098938)
    - 96 328is 5.7L. (LS1 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1289987)
    - 95 ///M3 6.0L. (LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1619249)

- 97 ///M3. (e46 Fender Flares/track car build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1727098)
    - 96 328is (Dual Fuel Pump to Surge Tank thread: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?1964025)

My Cars
    2003 Z4 Roadster
    Been a while since I updated this thing. The project is not dead, just been delayed due to work and family obligations.

The motor is mounted (Motor plates are in, welded, and I have test fit all of the accessories). I have started laying out the wiring to make the wiring harness, but don't want to spend $500 on injectors yet so I'm focusing on building rather than buying right now. I'm currently in the process of building tubular front lower controls arms (driver's side is done, need to build the passenger's) so I can get the 1-7/8" headers finished. Progress has been slowed, but I will persevere! lol

Front plate:

Mid plate:

Overall:

Front control arm bushing replacement (3/4" rod end threaded into milled steel block):

Porsche 996 calipers, CSL rotors, and tubular control arm:

Front tubular control arm:
    Last edited by V8Z4; 05-23-2014 at 01:01 PM.
    Chris

My Cars
    JuliustroliJD
    Sexy!

My Cars
    ALPINA B10 BITURBO
    Quote Originally Posted by AutoRotate View Post

The S6S 560 Getrag i am using is 132 lbs,,,,,,, and that box is similair to T56
    Sveinbjörn Hrafnsson

E30 CABRIO V12 M70B50 ///
    ALPINA B10 BITURBO 346 @ 507
    ULTIMA Evolution
    Contacts
    http://alpina.123.is/pictures/

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by V8Z4 View Post
    Progress has been slowed, but I will perverse! lol
    I hope you meant persevere! :p

Are you prepared for the vibration that will be present with solid motor mounts? That's gonna be nuts!

My Cars
    2003 Z4 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by jakermac View Post
    I hope you meant persevere! :p
    LOL, I didn't catch that until now. Auto fill/correct strikes again....

Quote Originally Posted by jakermac View Post
    Are you prepared for the vibration that will be present with solid motor mounts? That's gonna be nuts!
    I've actually used motor plates in a few vehicles and every one was near dead smooth. There's a big difference in vibration between a rotating assembly that has a rough factory balance and an accurate hand balance. I'm not concerned.
    Last edited by V8Z4; 05-23-2014 at 01:02 PM.
    Chris

My Cars
    3 GM B/D Body's, and a Hemi WK
    427 LS into Z4 is pretty perverse. But in a good way, like two very hot lesbians

My Cars
    2003 Z4 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by attilahooper View Post
    427 LS into Z4 is pretty perverse. But in a good way, like two very hot lesbians

Though I'm more a hot twins guy (not a big lesbians person myself )
    Chris

My Cars
    2006 Z06, 2004 Z4 3L
    Any progress on this LSx build?
    The photos are excellent along with your description.
    I have a Vortech with LG Motorsports full big tube header/exhaust on a C6 that runs like a scalded cat.

My Cars
    2006 Dodge Ram 1500
    Need MOAR PICS. This looks like a very clean build, keep it going!
    2006 Dodge Ram 1500 - 5.7 Hemi 4x4

My Cars
    02 M3
    Updates meow

My Cars
    2003 Z4 Roadster
    Hey all,

Yes I'm still around and yes the project is still going, it's just delayed. Between starting a new job, going back to school for my PhD, and getting ready to move into a new house have all caused the Z4 project to take a sideline. On top of all of that, I picked up a 01 325ci (which will in time get a turbo 5.3/t56 swap) as a daily driver so any 'car time' has been focused on correcting issues with that (like any older car, it needed bushings/mounts/brakes/etc.).

The benefit of the delay has been that I have had more time to gather parts, information, and plan.

One of the biggest 'issues' I have had has been the T56 is a bit short of the factory shifter location. I could make a GTO kickback shifter work, but I really don't like the slop that comes with the linkage. It now looks like I can get a T56 Magnum XL which will put the tail shaft mounted shifter (no linkage) in the factory shifter location. I'm currently testing the first set of tubular control arms I built (they got moved to the 325ci to replace bad ball joints), which means I can start to design a version 2.0.

Lots to do, just need more time.

Chris
    Chris

My Cars
    Canada
    All I hear are excuses excuses excuses. Is a PhD really more important than the worlds first ever z4 ls swap? I don't think so. Lives are hanging in the balance here. Your work looks very well thought out and clean. Looking forward to more on this build.

My Cars
    2003 Z4 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by mapleridge View Post
    All I hear are excuses excuses excuses. Is a PhD really more important than the worlds first ever z4 ls swap? I don't think so. Lives are hanging in the balance here. Your work looks very well thought out and clean. Looking forward to more on this build.
    I know right? Guess I have to get my priorities straight.

Thanks, I try. I always make it an effort to approach my work with the focus of making it look "as factory as possible."
    Chris

My Cars
    Canada
    Your mounting set up reminds me of the renegade hybrids kit for the Porsche ls swaps. If you want we can all agree to start calling you Dr and you can forego the rest of your studies.

My Cars
    2003 Z4 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by mapleridge View Post
    Your mounting set up reminds me of the renegade hybrids kit for the Porsche ls swaps. If you want we can all agree to start calling you Dr and you can forego the rest of your studies.
    My setup is just a standard front/mid plate setup, nothing really special. I contemplated utilizing vertically located rubber (poly) issolateors similar to the way Porsches are done, but in the end I opted to go solid mounting in order to get the frame stiffening qualities that motor plates provide. By having the front and mid plates rigidly mounted to the frame (and to the engine block), the front section of the frame is boxed and becomes incredibly stiff.

I don't think it works that way. Honorary doctorates only get you so far. Just think, I can be Dr. Z(4).
    Chris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast