Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clutch Pedal Bushings Install

My Cars
    1997 Z3 Roadster M52 2.8

Clutch Pedal Bushings Install

I had some trouble locating a good guide to do this, so I thought I would post my experience of the install. Not many pics, but the youtube link I found and the following checklist should make this an easy project for anyone else who has a squeaky clutch pedal!

First off, it is not very hard, and once you can make sense of what is on the pedal, it comes off rather easily. I used this video as a rough guide:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oFud4xKXIk

1. remove driver side kick panels (not sure the technical term, but the piece that touches your knees while driving. Should just be two pieces of plastic held on by 6 screws.)
    2. underneath and by the pedals, remove the bracket referenced in the video. use a 10mm socket and just slide it out and shove up next to the brake pedal out of your way.
    3. remove the circlip and pin for the clutch master cylinder.
    4. at this point the pedal will probably pop out and the spring will come down. thats fine, just dont lose the pivot pieces at the top of the spring when it pops down.
    5. remove the circlip at the very top, and slide the pedal off (the video says the pedal slides towards the passenger side, but maybe he has a RH drive car? mine slid to the LH side if you look at the pedal straight on)
    6. remove the old bushings from the pedal, put in the new ones (I had to squeeze mine in pretty tightly, I do not think there will be any movement between the bushings and the pedal - only between the bushings and the pin)
    7. the guy in the video suggested just propping up the spring and compressing it with your hand on the pedal...I don't know how he managed that, so I just used some zip-ties and a vice to compress the spring a little at a time, and got it snug.
    8. Reassemble everything in reverse, and the compressed spring should give you no trouble at all. Once everything is clipped back in, cut the zip ties and put on the kick panels again. ALL DONE!

my bushings were the "oilite bronze" ones from Ireland Engineering. they have barely any side-to-side play, and absolutely NO squeaks (at least from a short drive around...who knows how they perform over the years to come...)

Pics of the new ones installed in the pedal vs the old ones in my hand: WP_000184.jpgWP_000185.jpg
    Last edited by mangoose; 08-26-2013 at 11:26 PM. Reason: added pics
    (Sold) 1997 2.8L Z3 Roadster (M52) - Atlanta Blue
    2008 X3 M Sport AT (N52) - Black Sapphire

My Cars
    z3
    Cool, great DIY! I had a squeeky clutch pedal on my Z... just never got around to fixing it.

Maybe this will be Manifesto'd????

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1997 Z3 Roadster M52 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Cool, great DIY! I had a squeeky clutch pedal on my Z... just never got around to fixing it.

Maybe this will be Manifesto'd????
    One can hope

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    I did this earlier in the Spring--love the olite bronze bushings. It's a little tight down there under the dash, but doable.

My Cars
    Chariot
    It's about time I get off my arse and tackle this in order to get rid of the annoying squeak. I have the R.E. replacement waiting to go in. Your guide will definitely help motivate, thanks!

My Cars
    1998 2.8l z3 RED
    Yeah, I did this on a rhd and had to loosen the brake pedal hosing to get it to slide out, or it hit up against it and wouldn't come off. Did it with the bronze too with the seat in is like z3 yoga.
    ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

My Cars
    89 750iL | 91 325iX
    Mine squeak more now since I changed them

Don't even know how that happened

My Cars
    1997 Z3 Roadster M52 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by lennium View Post
    Yeah, I did this on a rhd and had to loosen the brake pedal hosing to get it to slide out, or it hit up against it and wouldn't come off. Did it with the bronze too with the seat in is like z3 yoga.
    That is odd: the clutch pedal slides to the left on mine, with the brake pedal sliding to the right. You shouldn't have to mess with the brake pedal or attachments (except the electronic bracket referenced in step #2 above) maybe it is different for RH drive.
    Last edited by mangoose; 08-30-2013 at 12:24 PM.

My Cars
    Chariot
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Grylls View Post
    Mine squeak more now since I changed them

Don't even know how that happened
    OE part or aftermarket delrin? Hope it's not the latter.

My Cars
    89 750iL | 91 325iX
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurospec View Post
    OE part or aftermarket delrin? Hope it's not the latter.
    It's aftermarket delrin

My Cars
    Z3M Coupe & Roadster
    Yup my ron stygar one is squeaking too.

My Cars
    1998 2.8l z3 RED
    Quote Originally Posted by mangoose View Post
    That is odd: the clutch pedal slides to the left on mine, with the brake pedal sliding to the right. You shouldn't have to mess with the brake pedal or attachments (except the electronic bracket referenced in step #2 above) maybe it is different for RH drive.
    Yeah I got a pic to help explain. which doean't show all but best I can do without pulling too much apart.

The red arrow indicates a fixed hump in the firewall that stopped the clutch sliding off, the green arrow indicates the direction of the clutch slide off towards the center console. It nearly slid off but not quite. You can see I cut away the sound deader foam to make a bit extra room as the red hump was covered but that didn't give me enough either. I can't remember what I loosened at the yellow arrow but I tried a few things there till one finally allowed me to get the angle to get past that red hump. Not much play in the brass brushes I used made me loosen whatever more to get it back in.

I didn't use anything to compress the spring, I just popped it in place pressed the pedal in and put in the pin, was pretty easy.

I used self oiling(impregnated with oil) brass brushes no squeaks here!
    Last edited by lennium; 08-31-2013 at 08:55 AM.
    ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    I didn't use anything to compress the spring, I just popped it in place pressed the pedal in and put in the pin, was pretty easy.
    Same here--I just took it apart, put the bushings in, and put it back together--no need for spring compressing.

My Cars
    Chariot
    For those who are still experiencing the squeak after replacement, were the new bushings coated with lube? A Teflon based lube (ex. Super Lube) is usually the way to go and what I was planning to use.

My Cars
    89 750iL | 91 325iX
    For those who are still experiencing the squeak after replacement, were the new bushings coated with lube? A Teflon based lube (ex. Super Lube) is usually the way to go and what I was planning to use.
    I lubed mine with bearing grease. no reason for it to squeak

My Cars
    1997 Z3 Roadster M52 2.8
    Yeah I got a pic to help explain. which doean't show all but best I can do without pulling too much apart.

The red arrow indicates a fixed hump in the firewall that stopped the clutch sliding off, the green arrow indicates the direction of the clutch slide off towards the center console. It nearly slid off but not quite. You can see I cut away the sound deader foam to make a bit extra room as the red hump was covered but that didn't give me enough either. I can't remember what I loosened at the yellow arrow but I tried a few things there till one finally allowed me to get the angle to get past that red hump. Not much play in the brass brushes I used made me loosen whatever more to get it back in.

I used self oiling(impregnated with oil) brass brushes no squeaks here!
    Yea, this is much different from my LH drive...I had plenty of room.

- - - Updated - - -

I did not grease anything with the oilite bronze bushings, and haven't heard a thing from the pedal so far!

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bingley View Post
    I did this earlier in the Spring--love the olite bronze bushings. It's a little tight down there under the dash, but doable.
    I assume that was with the seat in? I am thinking of putting the bronze bushings in when the seat is out for its bushings. Randy Forbes has a photo of him doing the bushings laying on his back which must mean that seat was out.

My Cars
    1997 Z3 Roadster M52 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage42 View Post
    I assume that was with the seat in? I am thinking of putting the bronze bushings in when the seat is out for its bushings. Randy Forbes has a photo of him doing the bushings laying on his back which must mean that seat was out.
    I did mine with the seat in, wasn't too bad once i figured out what i was doing, but it is a little awkward. (i am 6', 220lbs, so i'm relatively large)

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    I did it with the seat in--I don't remember the seat being in the way--everything else was though.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 M Roadster S52
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bingley View Post

Same here--I just took it apart, put the bushings in, and put it back together--no need for spring compressing.
    +1 The spring went back in easily without any compression prep. It is tight up there and awkward to see the clips and pins etc but I had the most trouble with the overlap on the lower dash panels than anything else. Especially the overlap between the side panel (on the right) and the larger panel just under the steering wheel. The two tabs on the right were difficult to tuck back under the side panel without scratching it up. I suppose it would mhave been easier to just remove the side panel as well but that did not look easy. Glad I did this. Nice and tight now. Thanks for all the info guys!

My Cars
    Chariot
    Finally got around to replacing the bushings. It was rather straightforward and would have been much easier had it not been in such an awkward and confined area.

Surprisingly, the squeaking remained, perhaps even intensified after the swap and lubricating the new parts. So I took it upon myself to get to the bottom of this annoyance and disassembled everything once more. I cleaned all the dried grease off as many of the parts as possible, and did a thorough job of lubing all moving parts/ areas including the pin securing the pedal to the master cylinder and the pivoting arm from the master cylinder. I'm now happy to say that my pedal is dead silent. Lets hope it stays that way.

My Cars
    '99 M Coupe

Thumbs up Thanks!

This was perfect timing!

My UUC clutch pedal bushings came in the mail yesterday (along with my shifter refresh bushing kit, weekend project, hopefully) and I had time to throw them on tonight.

Thanks for the step-by-step and the video link, great help! The UUC directions were long and convoluted, and the Bentley manual wasn't much help either. Had a little scare when the spring pin dropped down and I couldn't figure out exactly where it came from at first, but that's all part of the adventure, right?

Also took the knee bolster off to install a new headlight switch (and scout out access to the switch blanks on either side of the steering column for future use as fog light/driving light switch locations - it's gonna be a bitch running wires through the firewall down there...) which really opened up the space and made it a breeze to move things around down by the pedals. The UUC kit comes with 2 metal spacer washers that I managed to fit in too. So far so good, silence!

On a related note: I now have an OE headlight switch with a non-working dimmer (headlight switch works, but the dash lights are either on or off, black panel, Saab style) that is up for grabs if anyone wants it...?
    -Chris

No Chrome on the Wheels, I'm a Baller for Real

My Cars
    1997 Z3 Roadster M52 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by PettitWC View Post
    Had a little scare when the spring pin dropped down and I couldn't figure out exactly where it came from at first, but that's all part of the adventure, right?
    Same here! glad it all worked out

My Cars
    ///M Roadster
    Don't mean to hijack this thread, but does anyone know if Ron still sells this kit? I've tried emailed him with no luck. Only options may be the Delrin bushings and SGP setup.
    Cyrus Mistry

My Cars
    2000 M roadster

Thanks to the OP for the tips and Ben Fenner for making the manifesto

My clutch pedal was getting really bad. Very sloppy with almost a grind to it and when outside temps were over 90, the squeaking was downright embarrassing. Considering I just relocated with the car to Georgia, I knew it was time to do something about it. Frankly I forgot I already bought the IE Oilite bushings over a year ago. I found them in my toolbox when I unpacked it.

First, I am really happy with the result. Zero squeaks and the pedal is very solid and very smooth now. I was smiling ear-to-ear on the test drive. The IE bushing are probably the best bang for the buck item I have done to the car. Well worth $14.

And to chime in on the spring discussion, No tricky stuff needed.
    I simply installed the pedal on the top pin,
    reinserted the bolts for the bracket/ master cylinder to hold the master cylinder loosely in place (and avoid having to put the bolts in with spring tension on everything) ,
    pulled the clutch pedal up high,
    pushed the reassembled spring into place,
    pushed the clutch pedal down until I could reinsert the pin for the master cylinder rod end.
    That held everything in place. Finishing up was a breeze thanks to the good info available here.

Hope this information helps someone else.
    John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast