Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cooling system overhaul kit

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster

cooling system overhaul kit

I'm about to do my cooling system overhaul. I think this is the kit that I've seen the most references to:

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-16...0-mz3-s52.aspx

However, is it an issue that, except for the radiator and pump, none of the other parts are OEM?

Seems like to go all OEM, I would have to buy everything separately. OEM is not a necessity, per se, but I don't want to use poor inferior quality parts.

My Cars
    S54 e36/8; Tesla MY LR5
    Quote Originally Posted by Average Joe View Post
    I'm about to do my cooling system overhaul. I think this is the kit that I've seen the most references to:

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-16...0-mz3-s52.aspx

However, is it an issue that, except for the radiator and pump, none of the other parts are OEM?

Seems like to go all OEM, I would have to buy everything separately. OEM is not a necessity, per se, but I don't want to use poor inferior quality parts.
    Don't believe that kit is cheaper than just buying all the parts from Bimmerzone. Additionally, the BMW radiator is a Behr radiator, so no reason to buy a BMW rad. A nice upgrade is to put the s54 radiator in your car. Requires modifying the fan shroud a little iirc.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

My Cars
    1999 Z3 MC, 2000 540it
    I recently did an overhaul after a front ender.
    I did the s54 rad with Zionsville Shroud/resevoir/spal fan kit. The fitment requires a mechanical fan delete,however.
    Worth a look!

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    There are seven (at least) coolant hoses in a Z3. Why do all these "complete" kits come with only two? Also, does anyone have any empirical evidence that the smaller S54 radiator is an upgrade? Obviously it is necessary to fit an oil cooler, but is it an upgrade without a cooler?

/.randy

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    There are seven (at least) coolant hoses in a Z3. Why do all these "complete" kits come with only two? Also, does anyone have any empirical evidence that the smaller S54 radiator is an upgrade? Obviously it is necessary to fit an oil cooler, but is it an upgrade without a cooler?
    Inquiring minds want to know! Here's an S-54 radiator with the end tanks removed; I was curious to see if there were baffles in the tank(s) to initiate "passes"" versus complete side to side flow. No baffles. Three (3) rows of cores; someday I'll disect an S-52 radiator to compare.

Here's a parts list I use for myself, to insure that I get each and every piece of the cooling system ordered. I know how all you copycats are out there, so I'm just going to leave it on the corner of my desk while I go see what's in the refrigerator...

S-52 cooling system upgrade/maintenance components
    March 24, 2013

Stewart waterpump
    Waterpump gskt (O-ring) 11 51 1 711 484
    Behr S-54 radiator
    Upper radiator hose 11 53 1 708 499
    Lower radiator hose 11 53 1 436 988
    Reservoir hose (large to pipe) 11 53 1 740 649
    Reservoir hose (small to tank) 17 11 1 723 521
    Throttle body hose in 13 54 1 703 945
    Throttle body hose out 13 54 1 703 865
    Cylinder head to valve 64 21 8 401 809
    Valve to core 64 21 8 362 777 (verified)
    Core to cylinder head 64 21 8 401 808
    Thermostat 88*C 11 53 7 511 580
    Thermostat O-ring (gskt) 11 53 1 265 084
    Thermostat housing (alum) (sourced through BMP)
    Thermostat hsng gskt (profile) 11 53 1 740 437
    Radiator upper mount grommet 17 11 1 712 911 (2 rqd)

DO NOT ORDER THE FOLLOWING HEATER HOSES W/QUICK-CONNECT FITTINGS:
    11 63 7 830 994
    64 21 8 376 608
    Last edited by Randy Forbes; 08-17-2013 at 03:51 PM.

My Cars
    Audi B8.5 S4
    Empirical, or statistical? I have no technical stats on flow or cooling efficiency or anything like that, just my observation that after installing the S54 radiator, my *OIL* temps dropped about 5-10* (indicated) in just about every driving condition (remember, my car's had an aftermarket oil cooler setup for four years now).

Oh, and for the OP and everyone else - the S54 radiator is cheaper than the S52 unit.
    Last edited by BMWBergy; 08-17-2013 at 06:48 PM.

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    ..., so I'm just going to leave it on the corner of my desk while I go see what's in the refrigerator...

Randy, thanks for the info, I hope there was some Key Lime pie in the refrigerator!

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    I was really hoping more would chime in. I really don't know the answer to this. The S54 gives up a chunk of surface area and replaces it with a third tube row. Any dissertation on cooling systems will tell you surface area trumps thickness. Is the S54's added row of tubes in the least effective location enough to make up with the much smaller loss of surface area?

We'll likely never know for sure.

David -- two questions. Where is your oil cooler mounted? And if it's not in the S54 location, did you put a blanking plate in the S54 oil cooler area to keep air from totally bypassing the radiator?

And just a side note, the places I would consider purchasing a radiator, for a car I intended to keep anyway, want considerably more for a S54 than a normal Z3.

/.randy

My Cars
    89 750iL | 91 325iX
    s54 behr rad is the way to go

my favorite site to order parts from: http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...=2172@Radiator

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Grylls View Post
    s54 behr rad is the way to go

And the proof is???

my favorite site to order parts from: http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...=2172@Radiator

I've seen the differences between Behr OE and Behr aftermarket. No thanks. All aluminum or failing that dealer are my two choices.

/.randy

My Cars
    1999 Z3 MC, 2000 540it
    I was really hoping more would chime in. I really don't know the answer to this. The S54 gives up a chunk of surface area and replaces it with a third tube row. Any dissertation on cooling systems will tell you surface area trumps thickness. Is the S54's added row of tubes in the least effective location enough to make up with the much smaller loss of surface area?

We'll likely never know for sure.

David -- two questions. Where is your oil cooler mounted? And if it's not in the S54 location, did you put a blanking plate in the S54 oil cooler area to keep air from totally bypassing the radiator?

And just a side note, the places I would consider purchasing a radiator, for a car I intended to keep anyway, want considerably more for a S54 than a normal Z3.
    Not sure if i'm the David you asking.
    I put the s54 rad in my s52 with the Zionsville set-up. I plan to add an oil cooler later when i add a supercharger ( hopefully ).
    The only thing i notice is the fan runs pretty often. I don't think i have the high/low set-up correctly.
    My temps are just fine, even in traffic on hot days, so i'll leave it alone for now.

My Cars
    89 750iL | 91 325iX
    And the proof is???
    I've seen the differences between Behr OE and Behr aftermarket. No thanks. All aluminum or failing that dealer are my two choices.
    wut?

My Cars
    Audi B8.5 S4
    Randy,
    1) The oil cooler is mounted directly in front of the radiator, at the level of the kidney grills - so it actually A) takes away from direct airflow to the radiator, and B) heats the volume of air that passes through it before the radiator. Totally not the most efficient way to go. However, the oil needed to be cooled. The aftermarket mounting options are few. I think after Laguna I'm going to move it DOWN on the bracket so it is actually behind the bumper and not taking away from direct airflow to the rad. I also have a set of the factory lines, and have considered moving to the factory oil cooler.

2) I did fashion a blanking plate for the lower void.
    Last edited by BMWBergy; 08-19-2013 at 04:13 PM.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Interesting. I have noted that my oil temps are higher if I leave the belly pan off. I suspect it has more to do with that lower reverse scoop piece than the actual belly pan, but again consistent testing is neigh impossible here in Va weather and traffic. You say the cooler is at the radiator... do you still have the A/C condenser? Aux fan?

/.randy

My Cars
    Audi B8.5 S4
    You say the cooler is at the radiator... do you still have the A/C condenser? Aux fan?
    Yes and yes. If we'd been able to hook up to bleed my radiator four years ago, you would have seen it!

I'll try to take some pics and post this evening.

My Cars
    2001 M Coupe, 2002 M3
    I don't mean to hijack or derail this thread but can anyone chime in about what parts are needed if you're doing the same thing on an S54?

I know the water pumps generally don't go bad, so I'm not too worried about that. I have the radiator, the upper and lower radiator hoses, new hose clamps for these two hoses, the coolant expansion tank. Should I get new mounting hardware for the radiator? Any other hoses that are known to go bad often?

Should I replace the cap for the expansion tank or the plastic "hose" that goes from the expansion tank to the radiator?

My Cars
    Audi B8.5 S4
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanerPA View Post
    I don't mean to hijack or derail this thread but can anyone chime in about what parts are needed if you're doing the same thing on an S54?

I know the water pumps generally don't go bad, so I'm not too worried about that. I have the radiator, the upper and lower radiator hoses, new hose clamps for these two hoses, the coolant expansion tank. Should I get new mounting hardware for the radiator? Any other hoses that are known to go bad often?

Should I replace the cap for the expansion tank or the plastic "hose" that goes from the expansion tank to the radiator?
    Unless I'm mistaken, the S54s, with their remote expansion tank, don't suffer the same failures as the *50/*52 motors with the tank mounted on the fan shroud. S54 owners correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think they're as susceptible/prone to failure.

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0 Coupe
    There are seven (at least) coolant hoses in a Z3. Why do all these "complete" kits come with only two?

Bump.

I thought I had done a fairly thorough refresh on my cooling system based on what's included in all of the "complete" kits I saw everywhere, but it seems clear that those kits are definitely not complete. I have an M54/2001 3.0i.

I replaced:

-Radiator
    -Upper and Lower Radiator Hose
    -Expansion Tank
    -Expansion Tank Cap
    -Water Pump
    -Thermostat

I think I still need to replace (I put what I think are the correct part numbers in parentheses):

-Hose between radiator and expansion tank (CHR0025P)
    -Hose between expansion tank and heater valve (64218376608)
    -Hose between heater valve and heater core (64218362777)
    -Hose between heater core and engine (64218377673)
    -Hose between expansion tank and water pipe; I don't know what this is exactly, but it's the hose at the bottom front of the expansion tank (11537505831)
    -Plastic Water Pipe (11537502525)
    -Plastic Heater Pipe (11531705210)

Can anyone think of anything else I might be missing? I attached images of each hose and pipe that I have in a shopping cart, in case it helps people recognize something else that needs to be added.

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kornfeld; 04-09-2015 at 08:06 PM.
    2001 Z3 3.0 Coupe--Sterling Gray/Sunroof Delete/5MT

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post

DO NOT ORDER THE FOLLOWING HEATER HOSES W/QUICK-CONNECT FITTINGS:
    11 63 7 830 994
    64 21 8 376 608
    Anyone know the reason for this short "Do not order..." list? Not applicable for the S-52 cars where the parts lists (RealOEM, for example) say they are needed?

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Your list looks good for an M54. There are more hoses on other motors.

S52 does not use quick-connect hoses.

- - - Updated - - -

I must add, though, that to change those two plastic water pipes, I pull the intake. And do the CCV at the same time. There are rumors you can remove the oil filter housing and gain enough access, but I have not tried this.

/.randy

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0 Coupe
    I must add, though, that to change those two plastic water pipes, I pull the intake. And do the CCV at the same time. There are rumors you can remove the oil filter housing and gain enough access, but I have not tried this.

I was afraid of that. I already did my CCV. Are those plastic pipes known to be failure points? Is there any metal alternative, or do you have to stick with plastic?

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    I've never seen those pipes just fail. But they have broken up when worked on. They are part of my 200k service plan. Once every dozen years.... The plastic gets the job done.

/.randy

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0 Coupe
    Hmm. So if one of your cars was still on the original pipes, I'm guessing you'd swap them?
    Last edited by kornfeld; 04-09-2015 at 07:58 PM.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    I swapped out the pipes on the wife's car at 207k, along with the rest of the cooling system. It was mostly original, BTW. I swapped the pipes on the kids car at 225k the week I bought it.

/.randy

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0 Coupe
    Ah well....decisions, decisions...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast