Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Cigarette Lighter To Turn OFF With Ignition?

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i

HOW TO: Cigarette Lighter To Turn OFF With Ignition?

Heya guys,

Basically title says it all...
    How can I make Cigarette Lighter to go OFF with ignition?

Is there something I can do with NCS?

Thank you in advance,
    siny528i
    BMW CCA 434493

My Cars
    03' 540i/6 M-tech
    Use a $10 power adapter on the flashlight outlet located in the glove compartment. It is switched with the ignition. You can get the adaptor online or buy it at your BWM dealer.
    chiefwej 2003 540i ///m-tech 6-speed Black Sapphire Metallic w/gray
    See: My REGISTRY PICTURES
    Mods:plate delete, debadged, 35% tint,euro console, Evans NPG (zero pressure cooling system), CDV delete, Rogue Octane SSK, RP Symcromax

My Cars
    2000 528i
    If you are wanting to wire something up like phone charger, sat radio then you can use the wires in armrest. There is a thread on there somewhere that shows details of how to do it. Its wired in there for the original cell phone attachment. I wired my Sirius radio to it. That way it comes on when I hit the ignition switch. All you have to do it remove the arm rest and there is a little package of wiring. Max job of 15min.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    Thanks guys,

Quote Originally Posted by chiefwej View Post
    Use a $10 power adapter on the flashlight outlet located in the glove compartment. It is switched with the ignition. You can get the adaptor online or buy it at your BWM dealer.
    So, adapter from flashlight in glove compartment to EXISTING Cigarette Lighter?
    Or to extra Cigarette Lighter socket that will be hidden in glove compartment?

TIA
    siny528i
    BMW CCA 434493

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Quote Originally Posted by siny528i View Post
    Thanks guys,

So, adapter from flashlight in glove compartment to EXISTING Cigarette Lighter?
    Or to extra Cigarette Lighter socket that will be hidden in glove compartment?

TIA
    siny528i
    I think he's referring to the latter.
    My Garmin Nuvi is powered that way.

Last edited by jamesdc4; 08-05-2013 at 09:56 PM.

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesdc4 View Post
    James, how did you attach the Nuvi to that cell phone bracket?
    I like it, is the bracket special for the Nuvi?
    Last edited by jamesdc4; 08-06-2013 at 08:17 PM.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528i E39
    Quote Originally Posted by wareagleash View Post
    If you are wanting to wire something up like phone charger, sat radio then you can use the wires in armrest. There is a thread on there somewhere that shows details of how to do it. Its wired in there for the original cell phone attachment. I wired my Sirius radio to it. That way it comes on when I hit the ignition switch. All you have to do it remove the arm rest and there is a little package of wiring. Max job of 15min.
    I am interested in doing this. Where is the instructions? I do not want to loose my flashlight.

My Cars
    2003 530iA (SOLD)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    http://www.proclipusa.com/dashboard-...806-12951.cmsv
    Last edited by jamesdc4; 08-06-2013 at 08:18 PM.
    2003 DINAN 5 | M54B30 | Titanium Gray Metallic | Stage 3 Engine Software | High Flow Throttle Body | Cold Air Intake | Free Flow Exhaust | Performance Automatic Transmission Software | Front Strut Brace | OE 18x9 BBS RS745 Style 42 on 265/35-18 MY BUILD THREAD: [Click]

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Thanks, I just ordered one. Previously I kept in next to the cig lighter below the HVAC panel. However somethimes it would end up on the floor if my right foot got too aggressive.
    Last edited by jamesdc4; 08-06-2013 at 08:19 PM.

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    It's not a special bracket for the Garmin. It's a Panavise cell phone mount. I used zip ties to mount the Garmin to the Panavise.

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    James, thanks for all the pics.
    Damn, I could have done that, got lots of tywraps in the garage.
    I already had the proclip from an old hands free Motorola cell I had in my car.
    What I ordered was a ball that will be screwed to the clip. I'll be able to pivot it somewhat.

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    James, thanks for all the pics.
    Damn, I could have done that, got lots of tywraps in the garage.
    I already had the proclip from an old hands free Motorola cell I had in my car.
    What I ordered was a ball that will be screwed to the clip. I'll be able to pivot it somewhat.
    No problem. I just quoted from an earlier thread.
    It's painfully obvious in the pics I need a MID pixel repair from Concrete Donkey.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by professorman View Post
    I do not want to loose my flashlight.
    I ditched the crappy, outdated flashlight and keep a small LED flashlight as a replacement.

My Cars
    1998 528i 5-spd 102K
    I think I found the solution to the original post, i.e., how to make the cig socket "switched" (for people using GPS, or phone who want the cig socket off when the key is removed).
    It is a very simple mod.
    I will have to dig around a bit and post some info later.

My Cars
    e39, MAZDA3GT, NA Miata
    Quote Originally Posted by cnn View Post
    I think I found the solution to the original post, i.e., how to make the cig socket "switched" (for people using GPS, or phone who want the cig socket off when the key is removed).
    It is a very simple mod.
    I will have to dig around a bit and post some info later.
    I’m interested in hearing your results. I used to have my iPOd transmitter for my music plugged in and it would drain energy from my battery. But have since switched to a hard wired in system using the 6cd changer in the trunk. However I would still be very interested in finding out how to turn it off with the key.
    "It`s nice to be important
    but it's more important to be nice"
    - Hans Peter Gerdees

My Cars
    03' 540i/6 M-tech
    I don't know why you would want to keep the old flashlight, instead of doing it the easy way. But if you must rewire things, just look inside the console. I'm pretty sure that its the purple wire that is switched with the ignition. It's the switched power supply for the old phone.
    chiefwej 2003 540i ///m-tech 6-speed Black Sapphire Metallic w/gray
    See: My REGISTRY PICTURES
    Mods:plate delete, debadged, 35% tint,euro console, Evans NPG (zero pressure cooling system), CDV delete, Rogue Octane SSK, RP Symcromax

My Cars
    1998 528i 5-spd 102K
    To answer the original question, i.e., how to make the cig socket a "switched circuit", this is my suggestion for those who want this feature.
    People who try this mod, please post your photos and feedback so others can benefit from!

I think it is a simple 5 min mod.

------------
    1. Different years have different fuse numbering for the cig socket. For 1998 528i, it is Fuse #52 (30A) in the trunk.
    Factory setup: Current flows from "Always Hot" pin (the pin toward you) ---> 30A Fuse ---> Cig Socket.

The idea is to feed "switched current" to the other side of the Fuse #52 socket.
    So you need to permanently remove Fuse #52 and somehow bring "switched current" to the other side.

Cig1.JPG

2. Photo #2 is a typical layout of the Fuel Pump. I use this for illustrative purpose only, don't tap into fuel pump circuit.
    I think you are better off tapping into the Defogger Relay circuit.
    In other words, don't mess around with the critical circuit like fuel pump.

Current flows from #86 (On when key in position II) ---> DME grounds #85 ---> Current flows from #30 to #87.
    Once you understand this setup, you should be able to bring the current from "switched circuit" to the other side of the cig socket.
    The idea is to bring current from a #87 terminal the other side of the Connector for the Cig Socket.

Cig2.JPG

3. Photo #3 (borrowed from JimLev photo) shows you a typical trunk setup.
    - Buy a Fuse Holder and put a 5A fuse in there. OK, 5A x 12V = 60 Watts, which is plenty for GPS and cell phone charger.
    - The reason BMW puts a 30A fuse is to power the cig lighter. Look, if you don't smoke, then you don't care about the cig lighter (which sucks a lot of current when used!).
    - Remove Fuse #52.
    - Remove a Green Relay (let's say Defogger Relay), look at the socket; verify that #86 (or #85) is "switched circuit" by using a Voltmeter. Turn the key to Off, position I and position II while checking the voltage. You have to do your own homework here.

- Note that the row of pins close to you are always HOT (12V).

- The Fuse Holder wiring:
    #1 ---> Strip the wire on 1 side and leave it alone, this side is to be inserted together with the terminal #87 on the Green Relay during insertion.
    (Or you can splice it to the appropriate wire under the socket).
    #2 ---> Strip the other side and crimp a small "spade" connector. Insert this into the other side of the Connector for the Cig Socket.

Voila, you now have a "switch circuit" for the Cig Socket.

Good Luck and Have Fun!

Cig3.JPG

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by cnn; 08-08-2013 at 11:25 AM.

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    It's possible but why do you want to do that? I use my socket to power my mini-compressor and other things with the ignition off so why would you want to add another step and be forced to turn your key in order to receive power to the lighter socket? Are you afraid of a fire or battery drain? :

IF I were a cigarette or cigar smoker (quit in 1983), I certainly wouldn't want to have to turn the key to use the lighter but even as a non-smoker, I use the socket for convenient power without engaging the ignition switch. I guess it's a personal preference...GL.

"When the power of Love overcomes the Love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

'00 540iA Sport w/235k+ Original TCG's, Vanos and transmission.​*Trans failure at 244k+...FS Now

My Cars
    2000 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by professorman View Post
    I am interested in doing this. Where is the instructions? I do not want to loose my flashlight.
    I can't seem to find it but Google it and you'll eventually find it. Its a very easy - take off the arm rest & and black "cupped" area underneath it. There you will find some wiring. There will be a group of wires that are tied together (and in my case taped up), they will not be attached to anything. They are just dead ends. This is where the cell phone option was powered. I just took a 12v plug from autozone/walmart and tapped into the wiring, and boom you've got power for cell, ipod, sat and anything else you want that will be powered on and off with the ignition. Total time maybe 20 minutes. I ran the wiring up to the dash and put my sat radio were the worthless cupholders are.

UPDATE: quick Google search found this:
    Re: need 12v igntion under arm rest

The prewired setup for the Motorola mobile phone kit has a male connector under the armrest with some possibly useful pins. If you hold the plug looking into the pins with the cable out to the left, pin one is upper-left and pin 18 is lower-right.

# - Wire Color; Pin Description
    8 - Purple-Red; Ignition
    10- Red-Yellow; KL30 - B+
    13- Orange; Hand Set Power Supply
    17- Brown; KL31 – Ground

Good luck,
    Andrew
    Last edited by wareagleash; 08-07-2013 at 09:07 PM.

My Cars
    1998 528i 5-spd 102K
    Quote Originally Posted by 12CoolDude View Post
    It's possible but why do you want to do that? I use my socket to power my mini-compressor and other things with the ignition off so why would you want to add another step and be forced to turn your key in order to receive power to the lighter socket? Are you afraid of a fire or battery drain? :
    I think you miss the whole point of this thread. This issue has been discussed in different BMW forums for 10 years b/c many people don't smoke and would like to charge their iPhone, GPS etc. ONLY when they drive the car.

Once they stop the car, all they want to do is to remove the key and walk away w/o worrying about discharging their battery.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    I think you miss the whole point of this thread. This issue has been discussed in different BMW forums for 10 years b/c many people don't smoke and would like to charge their iPhone, GPS etc. ONLY when they drive the car.

Once they stop the car, all they want to do is to remove the key and walk away w/o worrying about discharging their battery.
    Agree with cnn,

On my second car Cigarette Lighter goes ON and OFF with ignition and I found it IMAO very useful.

For example, if you have Garmin Nuvi paired with your Cell Phone via Bluetooth, when you start the car, Nuvi starts, automatically finds and connects to your phone. No need to connect it manually in the phone.

Same goes for CAR DVR that starts taping conditions on the road or any other device. A lot of examples.
    Then, of course, when you turn OFF your engine your device goes OFF too.

I thought SOMEONE could tell me IF this could be enabled by NCS Expert, before hassling with wires.
    I didn't look into it yet.

TIA
    siny528i
    BMW CCA 434493

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA

First time for me. I've hardwired my radar detector and have mounted a three socket receptacle in the glove box. I don't use a navi since my phone does it well enough but I do use the lighter socket quite often to add air or use my socket powered impact wrench to remove my lugs.

I do understand the desire to have external devices power on/off with the key though. I just personally find it unnecessary.

OP, there is obviously a method to make it the way you want it but it means rerouting some wires. Afaik it can't be done through the software (didn't see an option) but I could be wrong...

"When the power of Love overcomes the Love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

'00 540iA Sport w/235k+ Original TCG's, Vanos and transmission.​*Trans failure at 244k+...FS Now

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Quote Originally Posted by siny528i View Post
    I thought SOMEONE could tell me IF this could be enabled by NCS Expert, before hassling with wires.
    I didn't look into it yet.

TIA
    siny528i
    No it can't be done using any software/firmware update as it is hard wired to the fuse that is always hot.
    Either rewire the cig power feed to a switched power source that can supply the required amps or add a relay. Those are your only options.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    No it can't be done using any software/firmware update as it is hard wired to the fuse that is always hot.
    Either rewire the cig power feed to a switched power source that can supply the required amps or add a relay. Those are your only options.
    Thanks JimLev,

That's all I wanted to hear!

I will look into cnn's rewiring suggestions, BUT its not in my priority list.

BTW, as far as for GPS mount, here's my version:

BMW CCA 434493

My Cars
    RWD + TORQUE
    That is ridiculously ugly and tacky
    Quote Originally Posted by Aradaiel View Post
    I'm sorry, the m5 and the 528/530 don't feel the same driving them. The m5 is leaps and bounds better. My loud pedal actually does something in the m5, steering is tighter, suspension is tighter and just feels better. The ONLY thing my 525/528/530 does better than my m5 is use less fuel. The whole rack and pinion thing is stupid, they feel the same.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by webdesigner View Post
    That is ridiculously ugly and tacky
    I don't know what you've found ridiculous in it.
    Looks and, most important, WORKS good for me.
    Especially when you use same GPS on few different cars.
    BMW CCA 434493

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast