Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ICOM Emulator Dongle Clone (a gift from Gini) Part 1

My Cars
    '07 320i E90

ICOM Emulator Dongle Clone (a gift from Gini) Part 1

Recently I received a PM from member Gini complimenting my sharing and writings. He generously offered his ICOM Emulator Dongle image along with necessary software and instructions. His only request in return was that I upload a nice post to share it with others. I am grateful for his sharing and sincerely appreciate him entrusting this project with me. I’ll try to present this as clearly and concisely as possible with consideration for newbies.
    Note: It is not my intent to disrupt anyone’s ‘business activities’ associated with the sale of ICOM emulator. I am just a ‘messenger’ relaying a generous gift.

[ Introduction ]
    First, much thanks must be expressed to member NZM3CSL, for his post ‘ICOM Emulator USB Dongle – backup creation – how to’ (posted 08-12-2012):
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...reation-how-to

Inspired by this post, Gini apparently made a ‘backup’ or ‘clone’ of his ICOM Emulator 3.0.3 (dongle) using an HP v220w 8GB USB Flash Drive(memory ‘stick’). He uploaded the ‘backup image’ along with all other software and references onto the MEGA download site, then relayed this to me.
    I downloaded the files, ordered the exact same model USB stick, then went to work. I encountered a ‘technical obstacle’ during the flashing process, but stumbled upon a simple solution which allowed me to clone Gini’s dongle.
    I ‘took it for a test drive’ and it works beautifully, so I am now ready to share this with you all.

[ General Summary of Steps ]
    * First, check out NZM3CSL’s post mentioned above, regarding ‘backup creation’.
    1. Prepare a Specific USB Flash Drive (memory ‘stick’)
    2. Download Gini’s Files and Necessary Tools
    - Download Different Version Tool If Necessary
    3. Change USB Stick’s Serial Number
    4. Copy(Restore) Dongle Image Onto USB Stick
    5. Connect Dongle and Refer to One of The Setup Guides

[ Detailed Step by Step Cloning Process ]
    The following details are presented with the assumption that the reader has already referred to NZM3CSL’s post on ‘backup creation’ mentioned above. Note: since Gini is providing the dongle’s image, we can skip the backup process involving the USB Image Tool.

1. Get an HP v220w 8GB USB Flash Drive (memory ‘stick’)
    or an 8GB USB stick that uses an SMI(SiliconMotion) USB flash drive controller.

A. If available, the HP stick is a nice choice, compact w/o frivolous plastic, and has the SMI flash drive controller.
    B. If the HP stick is not available, you will have to check a USB stick’s internal controller manufacturer using a program like ChipGenius.
    C. Since SMI MPTool is used in this method, the USB stick MUST have an SMI controller.

2. Download Gini’s files and necessary software from the MEGA download site
    *Use JDownloader (jdownloader.org) to download the following files all at once instead of downloading one at a time directly from MEGA. JDownloader will download much faster even though multiple files are downloaded at once, and will save you from the ‘hanging in mid download’ and maximum load/cooling fan rpm on the computer that seems to be a problem with MEGA at times.

Also, use either Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome browser for downloading from the MEGA site. Internet Explorer, Safari, Opera currently(at the time of writing this) lack support for some of MEGA’s features and may not even download.

['New links' added on 2014.09.24. due to Gini's original links no longer functioning.]
    Replace “xxxxx” below with “https"

A. disk1.EXE (96KB - executable program that reassembles the 5 disks into 1 image)
    (New link)
    xxxxx://mega.co.nz/#!Sc8xFaSI!uB6QNi0jwJFafgfDp42nJlwv1PGPxVlKuY7aySg lAJM
    (Gini's original link)
    xxxxx://mega.co.nz/#!ApIFybwb!IJfq8BFqQRZgRpYpEvMZfxZ3EoAiR_cLFVVYnjz DNk8

B. disk1.gsd (1.5GB – part 1)
    (New link)
    xxxxx://mega.co.nz/#!3ZEiUSjK!4WL3ia07ceKK3hjW35bPbFfa2c6yzRPd7DX7jQ-_mE8
    (Gini's original link)
    xxxxx://mega.co.nz/#!khADXYgT!V4tkQk8OiiDHFIdvhE9gb2bG3rscr4MNwSDOk6b LbX4

C. disk2.gsd (1.5GB – part 2)
    (New link)
    xxxxx://mega.co.nz/#!PR8j0ZIQ!nNMPsqEXJRkurjSsmYA3Ba1Twk0WQoci1xJhf1d 5GLs
    (Gini's original link)
    xxxxx://mega.co.nz/#!lpA2UIhJ!MeEV1CchQnV9DiNnAHDFIhlD_aAAgMsXTztMtgl LBWs

D. disk3.gsd (1.5GB – part 3)
    (New link)
    xxxxx://mega.co.nz/#!aFFmhKzD!hf9FA5t7eaFvI2TaNsd8ZWMPX02mLt-Iuq4u93TXm2c
    (Gini's original link)
    xxxxx://mega.co.nz/#!hl5zyZqb!Orn-yw4tPkMxC6k6BV_3IBrzAHJz7JklR4v7rWZJe9I

E. disk4.gsd (1.5GB – part 4)
    (New link)
    xxxxx://mega.co.nz/#!uF1XmCKZ!SnN7gw3FzvAJiCETa6S94Y-TCwwMu8dSVtxZfug_94U
    (Gini's original link)
    xxxxx://mega.co.nz/#!JhpVSDQQ!VESwl2sTFrf9pxAp1F4nz3lPzCgBAPlVziISvKH Qxi0

F. disk5.gsd (1.16GB – part 5)
    (New link)
    xxxxx://mega.co.nz/#!qEECwbbA!eUiirSHNF1eGz0HoPT--mbN-TUAhx1eYpIJuFGzIWBg
    (Gini's original link)
    xxxxx://mega.co.nz/#!08gwXSiL!FTXECRhjZ80wD5-VtFw6-TaZsQshF9jcH1fmy4dDDC0

Place all 6 files above into 1 folder and execute ‘disk1.exe’ to reassemble disks1-5 into 1 image(.img) file – [DONGLE.img].

G. SMI MPTool (4MB - version 2.3.58)
    *This tool is used for ‘flashing’ a new hardware serial number onto the USB stick.
    (New link)
    xxxxx://mega.co.nz/#!DAdylRwK!gTeg_eeP_P4mZAXXKIztJ-VRMNOZ5FuA3z0Arfz4tWo
    (Gini's original link)
    xxxxx://mega.co.nz/#!Ywh1UIpT!Pdd9D3wzHJ2eeLk8tL2_XSBO8hUixiXG8xkmtLl ehME

Note: If your USB stick was mass produced with a later version of SMI MPTool, then you need to use that version or later. Otherwise the flashing process may fail(more on this later).
    For more versions look in the following link:
    Replace “xxxx” below with “http"
    xxxx://www.usbdev.ru/files/smi/

H. USB Image Tool (217KB)
    *This tool is used for ‘restoring’ the backup dongle image onto the USB stick.
    Replace “xxxxx” below with “https"
    (New link)
    xxxxx://mega.co.nz/#!7UUEVRhD!w5eXoj3umwSv2uSDJgIX8gCejrSUF-hTq6YpqCMYYj0
    (Gini's original link)
    xxxxx://mega.co.nz/#!ogIhmLTS!alTf2mQKstcspPjYuebtGWel5oIuf3-TekHZc8y_fjo

3. Change the USB stick’s Hardware Serial Number(and a few other details)
    by ‘flashing’ with the SMI MPTool.

A. Connect the USB stick to the computer.
    *Check for any files that should be backed up from the USB stick.
    B. Run the SMI MPTool
    C. Click ‘Scan USB(F5)’ button – the USB stick’s information should appear on ‘Port 1’. Now the software can work on the USB stick.
    SMI MPTool (Main UI).jpg
    *Note: The image above is of my HP v220W 8GB USB stick AFTER flashing/cloning. Hence, the hardware serial number is shown altered from 16 digits to 14 digits. Initially the ‘Serial’ number should appear something like AAXXXXXX0000XXXX (16 digits). Also, depending on the manufacturer of the actual memory chip used, various brands will appear such as Samsung, Hynix, Micron, Toshiba. Within the No.1 button is shown the total capacity of the USB stick - 8,192 MB and the number of ‘bad blocks’ in parentheses - (6). It would be ideal if the number of bad blocks are 0, but the relatively small blemish did not cause any issues.

D. In the lower section, click the no.1 button – The ‘Dialog’ window should pop up allowing reference to important information about the USB stick.
    Dialog window.jpg
    *Note: The image above is from Gini’s USB stick BEFORE flashing, with the original 16 digit hardware ‘Serial’ number. Notice it is an HP model v220w.

E. Within the Dialog window, first click the ‘Save Info’ button and save this initial state just in case you ‘accidentally’ pull a Homer Simpson manoovre(“Doh!”).

F. Perhaps the most important information in the Dialog window is ‘IC Version’ and ‘Tester Version’.
    - IC Version = the model number of the USB flash drive controller.
    - Tester Version = SMI MPTool version used at the factory to make the USB stick.

In the case of the image above, you would need an SMI MPTool with focus on SM3257ENAA controller(IC Version) and software(Tester Version) V 2.3.98 or later.
    In my case, the ‘Tester Version’ was V2.3.85, and when I tried to flash the stick with an earlier version SMI MPTool V2.3.58, it failed and caused the following error:

“Initial Param Fail (0F) (FlashID not found in Database)”

Using a later version of SMI MPTool (V2.3.92 in my case) allowed successful flashing of the USB stick.
    Various versions can be downloaded from the following site:
    Replace “xxxx” below with “http"
    xxxx://www.usbdev.ru/files/smi/

Also, in my case, the USB stick has “Total MU 8” and “Bad Block 6” and I thought that the ‘bad blocks’ might have been the problem, but apparently ‘bad blocks’ were NOT the issue, it was the version of SMI MPTool. More on this matter will be explained later.

G. Close the Dialog window.

H. To be on the safe side and prevent any possible disruptions during flashing of the USB stick, do the following:
    - Close all non-essential programs.
    - Disconnect from the internet
    - Disable Firewall
    - Disable anti-virus software (as long as it does not cause a nervous breakdown)
    - Don’t let your cat or iguana hangout on your keyboard or whack your mouse.

I. Click the ‘Setting’ button, and enter “320” for Password.
    * The following images with SMI MPTool V2.03.58 are from Gini’s flashed USB stick. Hence the 14 digit Serial number. Initially the ‘Serial’ number should appear something like AAXXXXXX0000XXXX (16 digits).
    Setting button.jpg

Password.jpg

J. Open ‘default.ini’.
    Default.INI.jpg
    Last edited by tinkerman; 09-24-2014 at 03:45 AM.

My Cars
    '07 320i E90

ICOM Emulator Dongle Clone (a gift from Gini) Part 2

K. The initial default.ini file will look something like the following:
    Initial Default.INI.jpg
    *Note: The default serial number digit count is 16. If you get the HP v220w stick the ‘Vendor Str’ should indicate “HP” and the ‘Product Str’ should indicate “v220w”.

L. Edit the following CIRCLED SETTINGS EXACTLY AS INDICATED BELOW.
    *Note: The ‘Begin Serial’ and ‘End Serial’ are automatically generated when the ‘Serial Mask’ (899#########B4) is manually entered. Therefore, if you enter the ‘Serial Mask’ first and delete the existing ‘Begin/End Serial’ numbers, then clicking in a blank area will initiate the auto generation of the ‘Begin/End Serial’ numbers. If for some reason they do not show up EXACTLY as indicated below, edit manually. If any settings other than those circled need to be edited to show EXACTLY as below, by all means edit them. Double check for any typo errors. Click OK.
    Edited Default.INI.jpg

M. In the main UI(User Interface) window, click the ‘Start (Space Key)’ button, to initiate the hardware serial number flash process.
    Start (flash).jpg
    *Note: If all goes well, your USB flash drive will be reformatted with the new hardware serial number, and at the end, a green ‘OK’ button-like marker will appear above the ‘Start (Space Key)’ button.
    OK.jpg

If there is a problem and the process fails, a red ‘FAIL’ button-like marker will appear above the ‘Start (Space Key)’ button.
    FAIL image.jpg
    *Again, the “Initial Param Fail (0F) (FlashID not found in Database)” error is due to use of an earlier version of SMI MPTool than that which was used at the factory(to manufacture your USB stick). Using the factory version - the version indicated in ‘Tester Version’ of the Dialog window mentioned above, or a later version, will resolve this error.
    Again, various versions of SMI MPTool can be downloaded from the following site:
    http://www.usbdev.ru/files/smi/

N. When flashing succeeds, close the SMI MPTool.
    Last edited by tinkerman; 07-29-2013 at 12:38 AM.

My Cars
    '07 320i E90

ICOM Emulator Dongle Clone (a gift from Gini) Part 3

4. ‘Restore’ Gini’s Dongle Image Onto the Flashed USB Stick Using the USB Image Tool
    A. Open the ‘USB Image Tool’.
    B. Select the USB stick’s drive in the left section, then click the ‘Restore’ button.
    Restore.jpg
    * Note that initially the size is indicated as being over 8GB.

C. After the ‘Restore’ process, the USB stick will appear to be about 4 GB. About 3.8GB of free space will remain which the user can actually use like a normal flash drive.
    Completed.jpg

5. Connect the ICOM Emulator Dongle Clone Referring to the Appropriate Guides*
    *In the Dongle’s ‘Copy This Folder’, there are references for the various methods of connecting to various models of BMW cars: ENET, K+D CAN, OPS etc.

Enjoy.
    Last edited by tinkerman; 07-29-2013 at 03:19 PM.

My Cars
    '07 320i E90
    There may be some 'traffic' causing disruption in downloading. It has happened before with the ICOM Emulator 3.0.3 file too, but eventually the person having trouble was able to get it. If you have been downloading directly from MEGA, instead use JDownloader as a 'download manager'. And use either Firefox or Chrome browser. You'll get it, you just need to be patient and persistent.

My Cars
    2001 BMW E46 320i
    Help,have got hp usb stick as recommended,and cannot get smi mass production tool to read it.Assuming as I cannot do serial number change,cannot go forward.Any help please?Many thanks,Paul.

My Cars
    2005 BMW 525D E61
    Helo
    I used USB flash disc ADATA 8GB c906 with chipset SM325ENLT and change SN OK..after few problems . You must use correct SMI tool version for your SMI chip. ( I have 325ENLT ). But after restore USB image I have only manual about How installing cable ( d-can, icom ) and folder about ISID ICOM emulator is empty!!!! What I did wrong????
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Harrycz4; 08-07-2013 at 03:25 AM.

My Cars
    2005 BMW 525D E61
    nobody?

My Cars
    '07 320i E90
    Quote Originally Posted by paulb34 View Post
    Help,have got hp usb stick as recommended,and cannot get smi mass production tool to read it.Assuming as I cannot do serial number change,cannot go forward.Any help please?Many thanks,Paul.
    I'd try a later version of SMI MPTool than what you have used.

- - - Updated - - -
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrycz4 View Post
    Helo
    I used USB flash disc ADATA 8GB c906 with chipset SM325ENLT and change SN OK..after few problems . You must use correct SMI tool version for your SMI chip. ( I have 325ENLT ). But after restore USB image I have only manual about How installing cable ( d-can, icom ) and folder about ISID ICOM emulator is empty!!!! What I did wrong????
    Oh... You are all set!(at least with the dongle) Those folders are empty because that is the way that Gini shared the dongle image. You see, when he purchased the ICOM Emulator, those folders were probably filled with their respective software, but for sharing the dongle image they were not included as they were not the files intended to be shared. For ISID files and ICOM Emulator software files you will have to download them separately. There are numerous sources, but for ease of access, from this forum, try the following links.

Update (2013.10.04)--------------------------------------
    < ISID ISTA-D 2.36 / ISTA-P 2.5.40 >
    Replace "xxxx" below with http
    xxxx://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=894611
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    < ICOM Emulator (software - virtual disk) >
    Check out post #8 of
    ICOM Emu w/o dongle for ISID, ISTA-D/P and Gini's snap shot method

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ap-shot-method

Since you've gotten the physical dongle ready, you don't have to use Gini's 'snap shots'.

Cheers.
    Last edited by tinkerman; 10-04-2013 at 11:25 AM.

My Cars
    2001 BMW E46 320i
    How do I view that link in english???

My Cars
    2005 BMW 525D E61
    Thank you Mr. Tinkerman I look for it..

- - - Updated - - -

Hi all and Mr.Tinkerman
    I have problem with start Icom emulator in VM. After start Emu I got new window about register, I got username and key ( what was inside folder with icom emu) but this key not accept.....??? Any idea pleas?

My Cars
    '07 320i E90
    Quote Originally Posted by paulb34 View Post
    How do I view that link in english???
    Perhaps Google Translate, but you'll have to take into account that it will read awfully funny, in brokin Englishism.

What you should really look for like 1/3rd of the way down the exhaustive list of stuff is 'SMI MPTool VX.XX.XX'. The latest seems to be SMI MPTool V2.5.18 v1 M0503 [SM3257ENAA].

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Harrycz4 View Post
    Thank you Mr. Tinkerman I look for it..

- - - Updated - - -

Hi all and Mr.Tinkerman
    I have problem with start Icom emulator in VM. After start Emu I got new window about register, I got username and key ( what was inside folder with icom emu) but this key not accept.....??? Any idea pleas?
    Oh no... I have not encountered this issue. I'd try deleting the current ICOM Emulator virtual disk, then 'reinstalling' the ICOM Emulator virtual disk into VMware Workstation. If it still is a problem, perhaps reclone the dongle from the beginning as well. Sometimes redoing things fill in details missed the first time around.

If it continues to be a problem, you might have to PM member 'Gini' (the original owner of the cloned image, that shared it). Cheers.
    Last edited by tinkerman; 08-08-2013 at 10:48 AM.

My Cars
    2005 BMW 525D E61

Icom dongle

I think that usb dongle is OK.. ?? Here is screen from smi tool.

My Cars
    2001 BMW E46 320i
    I got usb to do serial number.As you said,try different version.I still have same problem as Harrycz4,does not recognise username and password.Any ideas?

My Cars
    2005 BMW 525D E61
    Hello Paulb34
    Dont need USB dongle. Only start VM ware and after start snap shot VM ( in menu VM ware ) as here: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...-install/page7

Work It I tried it yesterday.
    One more thanks for Mr. Tinkerman and Mr. GINI
    Last edited by Harrycz4; 08-09-2013 at 04:28 PM.

My Cars
    E61 520d 2006
    I have the same problem too. I have used different versions of SMI MPTool, USB is from HP v220w. I also tried to change the volume serial number to 7404-2E11 as on the screenshot from NZM3CSL.

My Cars
    2001 BMW E46 320i
    I got this one to work with hp usb stick.http://www.usbdev.ru/?wpfb_dl=1304

My Cars
    E91
    Its a nice solution, but why nobody use the normal vm darksys emu version ,without dongle. It works very good and i can use it on every PC i like without this procedure.

My Cars
    '07 320i E90
    Quote Originally Posted by 4711 View Post
    Its a nice solution, but why nobody use the normal vm darksys emu version ,without dongle. It works very good and i can use it on every PC i like without this procedure.
    *Assuming you are NOT referring to using 'snap shots' of post dongle security check VM state
    (which do not require a dongle)...
    If it needs to be purchased , then that would be the answer to your question.

If it is shared , I'm sure many would appreciate it and use such version.
    Last edited by tinkerman; 08-11-2013 at 10:54 AM.

My Cars
    E91
    Nobody has to purchase anything , i told that some people here 6month ago via PN. And if they can upload it to a FTP Server.
    But they never answered.So if you want it i sent the link to you surely for free.And if you upload it for the others no problem.
    The Emu works for me in every Ista Version till the newest one.
    If you upload it for the other please not via my links

You have PN
    Last edited by 4711; 08-11-2013 at 03:02 PM.

My Cars
    '07 320i E90
    Thank you 4711!
    Please check out the PM I sent to you (with some questions regarding this 'dongle-free' version).

My Cars
    E61 520d 2006
    Can you upload this dongle-free-version for all and post here the links?

My Cars
    '07 320i E90
    Quote Originally Posted by ceromanc View Post
    Can you upload this dongle-free-version for all and post here the links?
    There are some slight differences between Gini's shared versions(3.0.3) and 4711's version(older?). 4711's version seems to be slightly older with less utilities included in the ICOM emulator VM(shown on the desktop). I am in the process of distinguishing these details and also need to actually try it connected to my car (so far I've only checked with my D-CAN cable connected to my laptop). If all goes well I'll surely share it in an upgraded form (with as much of the extra features in the 3.0.3 version, and without all the unnecessary default Windows XP files, for example default sample images and music etc., then 'compacted' to be as small in size as possible). Please be patient, I just want to make sure that the best possible solution is shared. If you cannot wait, please kindly ask another member (I know how difficult it is to wait, without a definite time frame being mentioned).

By the way, 4711's shared version also seems to utilize the 'snap shot' method, for there are sizeable snap shot related files, but in this version the snap shot seems to be 'automatically' started, unlike with Gini's version in which the user has to 'manually' select a snap shot. Therefore, in that sense it's a minor difference(literally a mouse click difference) and so you could just as well use Gini's 'manual snap shots' for now.
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ap-shot-method
    Last edited by tinkerman; 08-13-2013 at 04:04 PM.

My Cars
    BMW Touring
    hello,

SMI MPTool (4MB - version 2.3.58

is offline.

thx

My Cars
    '07 320i E90
    Quote Originally Posted by chang2 View Post
    hello,

SMI MPTool (4MB - version 2.3.58

is offline.

thx
    As mentioned above, try downloading a later version from this link:

My Cars
    2001 BMW E46 320i
    I have re-done this 4 times,and re-installed icom emu,and still I cannot get past asking for username and password,as above.Any ideas???

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast