Thread: DIY for Aux Input (not using the tape deck)

My Cars
    E36

DIY for Aux Input (not using the tape deck)

Hey guys, I wrote a long winded version of this in the nonM section, but I'm guessing there are more oem-fetish types over here.

I have a CM5903L (aka <96 radio). It has a tape deck and CD changer. I wanted to keep the head unit, but add an Aux input. I DID NOT want to use a dummy tape or remove the ability to read a tape. I also use my CD Changer and want to retain its use.

(CM5903L is this)

What I found some others doing (other cars) is splicing into their CD Changer harness. I took this idea one step farther by making a jumper harness (as to not cut up any OEM wiring).

I hope you guys find this helpful.

**notice** I did some other work on the Head Unit while I was messing with all this, so ignore that, but you'll see some pics are odd because of it.

CD Changer harness plug (back of radio). It is a 2x5 connector and uses all the pins.

1.JPG

Here is the basic Pin Out of the radio and changer.

pinout_mph.jpg

And more evidence of pinout...
    1004808_889449898177_565410115_n.jpg

Now what I did was find (well make) a cable to use as a harness between the CD Changer harness and the Head Unit. The reason I did this is because I had this audio jack that is 'switched'. It has the L+ and R+ normally closed to another source. When you insert an Aux Cable, it will open the circuit for the other source and just send the Aux signal onward.

Here is the jack

1012355_888251380017_1082256670_n.jpg

31465_888251355067_1214926561_n.jpg
    Last edited by Moron95M3; 08-25-2013 at 06:37 PM.
    BMW CCA Illini Chapter Vice President
    1995 M3
    - My Favorite DIY's and FAQ's

My Cars
    E36
    And the Audio jack's pinout:

1011979_888251414947_2046339881_n.jpg

Now what we want to do is find a cable to use between the Changer and the Head Unit. Most USB cables in computers are 2x5 connectors that fit perfecty, however they only use 8 pins. So if you have 3 ends you can effective make a 2x5 10 pin cable.

If you're patient, you can find something like this:
    $T2eC16NHJGIFFod7r,7fBR2-SoW0ng~~60_57.JPG

I had 3 male ends...and created 2 10 pin ends then soldered them together. What you need to make sure is that you cut the audio L+ and R+ channel and send it through the switched Jack. This way when you're playing a CD (no Aux cable inserted) the CD changer signal goes through.

You also need to tie the ground into the ground pin.

The harness you're building effectively looks like this: (sorry it's messy). Make sure you line up all the pins correctly, it's easy to get confused depending on how you're looking at the pinout/connector.
    null-96.jpg

I made my really messy harness: The cat is a dick.

944269_889725555757_2112041615_n.jpg

Now I had two female ends rather than one male/one female, so I used some solid copper wire as pins and essentially created one male end.

Now go into your car - remove the blue clip holding in the CD changer harness. Plug your new harness into the CD changer harness.

1001025_889725500867_1206148022_n.jpg
    1995 M3

My Cars
    E36
    It should like something like this. This was just a test (after wards I cleaned it up with tape and heat shrink).

1000524_889725465937_295085782_n.jpg

Now you should be able to turn your radio on, go to 'CD' mode and listen to either your CD changer OR your AUX input if you plug in a cable.

Feed the Aux input to wherever you want. I put it on the sunglass panel.

45886_889725431007_1694009313_n.jpg

Mounted
    988652_889725376117_1414254890_n.jpg

Still have a few bulbs to replace on the Head Unit, but here it is buttoned up.

1069790_889725341187_1997351979_n.jpg

Hope that helps! I'm not sure if this will work on cars that don't have a working CD Changer.

Best of luck!

**Edit**
    I just learned two things about this mod after a 5 hr round trip. (8/22/13)

A. The CD changer stops the audio signal between CDs - so there will be a 5second break in the aux input when it's changing disk. (no biggie to me...).
    B. When I plugged my Iphone in to charge I did get the common static in the music.
    Last edited by Moron95M3; 08-25-2013 at 06:38 PM.
    1995 M3

My Cars
    99 Cosmos M3 Coupe
    Awesome job and it gives you a reason to fill those extra provisioned spaces if you don't have heated seats or the asc button.

My Cars
    '98 M3
    I will pay you for a harness. Wiring is not my specialty. Pm me a price.

Edit: just noticed I got a different factory tape deck.
    Last edited by RatedM3; 07-24-2013 at 11:05 PM.

My Cars
    97 M3, 65 Mustang FB
    That is awesome! I really never cared for my aftermarket cd player.

My Cars
    E36
    Quote Originally Posted by RatedM3 View Post
    I will pay you for a harness. Wiring is not my specialty. Pm me a price.

Edit: just noticed I got a different factory tape deck.
    If you have an I bus, the same theory should be able to be applied, I just don't know if the harnesses are quite the same. I have thought about buying that 'extension' I posted and selling them modified with an AUX jack. I'd want to make sure the harness is bulletproof first though.

Quote Originally Posted by dano670 View Post
    That is awesome! I really never cared for my aftermarket cd player.
    Thanks! I think a lot of guys change HU's just for an Aux input...and the AUX using the tape deck mod is kinda clunky forcing a blank tape and what not. I really think this is a clean alternative.
    1995 M3

My Cars
    Vipers, e46m
    I don't have a CD player, how can I wire something like this up to work an AUX connection when I hit the CD button?

My Cars
    E36
    Quote Originally Posted by pMak26 View Post
    I don't have a CD player, how can I wire something like this up to work an AUX connection when I hit the CD button?
    Guessing you have a C33 or C43 then? (99m3)

I would think you could make a harness for a simple aux input (no pass thru needed). However you'd have to read up on what other pins might need to be powered so that it thinks a CD changer is connected.

What happens right now when you change input modes to 'CD'?
    1995 M3

My Cars
    '98 M3
    Look up Grom Audio. I just got the bluetooth unit from them and it's awesome. Has the optional aux cable input as well. I think all the units have the optional aux input port, just need to buy the cable.

My Cars
    E36
    looking at my pinout, if you did the L/R and ground from the input, then I'm guessing you need some sort of signal to 'enable'. Not sure though if not having other signals will cause it to fail.

- - - Updated - - -

Look up Grom Audio. I just got the bluetooth unit from them and it's awesome. Has the optional aux cable input as well. I think all the units have the optional aux input port, just need to buy the cable.
    if this pic is right, they only use the three cables?

1995 M3

My Cars
    '98 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Moron95M3 View Post

if this pic is right, they only use the three cables?
    Those are for power and ground. The other cable end plugs into where the CD changer cable goes. It works off the CD button.

My Cars
    E36
    Those are for power and ground. The other cable end plugs into where the CD changer cable goes. It works off the CD button.

that's the end I'm talking about. (small black connector?) looks like only 3-4 wires run to it?
    1995 M3

My Cars
    '98 M3
    that's the end I'm talking about. (small black connector?) looks like only 3-4 wires run to it?
    Oh, I didn't look too closely at it. I just remember confirming the number of pins (I believe 8) and orientation of it.

My Cars
    UFO
    Great write up! Steppin' up the DIY aux game. Just finished the tape deck mod but can't stand hearing the tape deck motor spin. This will be done soon!
    CURRENT: LimeRockParkEdition E92 M3 - BSM/Silverstone E70 X5M - AW/Dove E36 M3
    PAST: Techno/Dove E36 M3 - Techno/Dove E36 M3 - LSB/Black E46 M3

My Cars
    Vipers, e46m
    Guessing you have a C33 or C43 then? (99m3)

I would think you could make a harness for a simple aux input (no pass thru needed). However you'd have to read up on what other pins might need to be powered so that it thinks a CD changer is connected.

What happens right now when you change input modes to 'CD'?
    When I hit the CD button now nothing happens at all. The radio stays on whatever input it was currently in.

I was thinking a simple AUX line from the CD connection would be ideal and cheap. The Grom units are nice but entirely more than I need (would never use bluetooth). I don't drive the car on the street enough to warrant spending the money on a Grom unit.

My Cars
    E36
    When I hit the CD button now nothing happens at all. The radio stays on whatever input it was currently in.

I was thinking a simple AUX line from the CD connection would be ideal and cheap. The Grom units are nice but entirely more than I need (would never use bluetooth). I don't drive the car on the street enough to warrant spending the money on a Grom unit.
    You'd have to pilot that DIY findings, but you could try the same as what I did - plug in a harness with the L/R/Common and see if it plays. But I'm guessing it needs a signal from one of those other pins to say 'hey, a CD changer is attached' (currently you don't have any of that so it doesn't even let you get there).

If I had a C33 lying around I'd definitely try it, but I don't

btw, some similar info:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...-of-CD-Changer
    Last edited by Moron95M3; 08-14-2013 at 09:40 AM.
    1995 M3

My Cars
    E36
    I just learned two things about this mod after a 5 hr round trip.

A. The CD changer stops the audio signal between CDs - so there will be a 5second break in the aux input when it's changing disk. (no biggie to me...).
    B. When I plugged my Iphone in to charge I did get the common static in the music.

Just to throw that out there.
    1995 M3

My Cars
    e28 / e32
    I just learned two things about this mod after a 5 hr round trip.

Just to throw that out there.
    Thanks for this info! Sorry for bringing up an old thread. I plan on doing this mod but was wondering is it necessary to have the closed switched input? Basically can you just switch to CD without playing anything to avoid the 5 second pause in between disks? I plan on installing my bluetooth interface on the input instead of from the mp3 player (iphone, ipod, etc).

Thanks again!
    (Oo=[][]=oO)

Looking for:
    BMW e28 M5
    BMW e30 M3
    Mercedes-Benz 190e 16v