Thread: No start yet again.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 & 1982 320is

No start yet again.

I have had my BMW for 5 years. When I first got it I had a no start problem. All the lights and accessories worked but no roll over no clicks no start. Fixed it with a new ews module. Skip ahead 2 years same problem. No roll over no clicks no start. This time it was a key that had gone bad! Now present day I left the lights on and killed the battery. Charged it up , battery is fine but the car doesn't start! All the lights work and accessories but I have no door chime or no fuel pump no roll over,clicks or anything! I assume it's the key or ews again is there a way to verify the key and is there a way to bypass the ews like on the e36's?

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

98 Roady M44
    * Auto to 5 Speed Swap
    * 3.73 LSD Diff swap
    * e46 330i Staggered Wheels
    * H&R Springs & Sways with Bilstein Sports

82 320is
    * 5-speed, LSD, Recaro Seats & Completely Stock

My Cars
    1998 Z3 & 1982 320is
    Mine is a 98 4cyl 5speed btw

Before everyone jumps on the "you can't disconnect the ews" band wagon Im sure it can be done and i would rather disconnect it than continue throwing keys at it.i have been contemplating the aem ems-4 stand alone ecu that is designed for the m44/42 engine. They are something like $1k all said and done! I have already spent over $2k on ews stuff so that's not a bad option!

Sent from my Samsung

98 Roady M44
    * Auto to 5 Speed Swap
    * 3.73 LSD Diff swap

82 320is

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    My buddy had this problem once in his '96 1.9L about 300 miles away from home The thing that cured it (It's a manual) was rolling it a few feet, then it started as if nothing was wrong. It hasn't happened again since then and that was 5 years ago.
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Can the EWS be bypassed like a E36? I've never done it, but that part of your car *is* E36. As far as testing, a scanner on the EWS module should get you answers. I don't think the EWS can kill the fuel pump, and certainly won't the door chime, so I'm not convinced it's your problem.

/.randy

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9 5 speed
    How do you know the battery is fine? Just because you've charged it, that's not a guarantee of it being fine. Check the battery connections too, and the fuses and so on.

I think it's highly unlikely to be the EWS, unless you have some fundamental EWS-killing aspect to your car. I've been on this and other Z3 forums for about 18 months and don't recall seeing anything that suggests the EWS is a common problem. I appreciate why you may jump to that conclusion, but I'd try the more likely suspects first. Spending $1k on an ECU to discover a battery fault would probably be rather irritating.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 & 1982 320is
    Hmmm i rolled it down two hills trying to pop it off but no go...it will roll over if you drag it but won't start....I am really leaning on this ems standalone to fix my problem now and expand my options for forced induction at another time...it kills two birds with one stone! Unless ofcorse i can get my ecu "chipped" to not worry about ews.

Sent from my Samsung

98 Roady M44
    * Auto to 5 Speed Swap
    * 3.73 LSD Diff swap

82 320is

My Cars
    1998 Z3 & 1982 320is
    Battery is charged then tested with a battery load tester...then i put iy in the truck just to make sure...its fine! Connections are good and clean with zero corrosion. Car has been fine since the last key died but it killed the ews module once before when i first got it. century bmw here in greenville said it was a fluke. Thing is when the battery is dead or weak it should click the cylinoid or make a noise or something...but this does nothing. No click no roll no nothing...and the car won't start when pulled around and getting popped off. starter, battery etc. If the ews and key are good you should be able to push start. it quite possibly could be another key but Im tired of replacing keys

Sent from my Samsung

98 Roady M44
    * Auto to 5 Speed Swap
    * 3.73 LSD Diff swap

82 320is

My Cars
    05 2.5 Z5
    Do you have an oem alarm? It maybe disabling your system from starting.

My Cars
    Z3M Coupe & Roadster
    Tuners can turn EWS off. Technica Motorsport can do this remotely.
    Last edited by jajou318; 07-17-2013 at 10:56 AM.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 & 1982 320is
    Update**

There is no Fuel Pressure along with no starter which verifies it is an EWS failure at some point along the way....

Technica seem like great people but they do not mess with 4 Cyl cars.

VAC has no problem deleting the EWS but its to far to trailer it to get it done.

Will continue to search options

98 Roady M44
    * Auto to 5 Speed Swap
    * 3.73 LSD Diff swap

82 320is