Thread: Rear Window Replacement Help (eMiata)

My Cars
    1997 Z3 Roadster M52 2.8

Rear Window Replacement Help (eMiata)

First off: Problem developed yesterday and I sent emiata an email so they have not yet had the chance to show what they will do to make this right. I hope they will...

Here is my dilemma:
    I bought my Z a couple weeks ago, and knew right away I needed a new rear window for the top. I did some research here and elsewhere, and my two options were OEM (~$400-450), or aftermarket, or which emiata seemed to have the most reputable name. I opted for emiata.

Window came about a week ago, well protected shipping, with instructions and all the necessary items to install (needle & thread, contact cement, zipper). I was able to install the window with little trouble, got it lined up and zipped in. I made a bit of a mess with the contact cement, but that was completely on me ...and not emiata's problem.

My problem with the window came up yesterday. I noticed over the past few days I would have a crease each time I pulled the top back up (never stored or left overnight with the top down, only 10-30 minute drives then pull it back up), but that the crease would disappear after the top was left up for any extended period of time. I assume this is natural for the window. However, I took a ~20 minute drive yesterday and pulled up the top and noticed in addition to the crease, there was a point of contact on the window with the canvas of the top. It looked as though the canvas pattern was imprinted in the plastic of the window! (imagine pressing some play-dough against the canvas and looking at the pattern)

It has not been over 24 hours with the top completely up and still no change. I sent an email yesterday with pictures to emiata and haven't heard back yet. I will post here with a followup when they respond. In the meantime, I have a few questions:

1. Anyone else out there with an emiata window have a similar issue? (trying to identify if I received a poor quality piece of plastic or if ALL emiata windows have this problem)
    2. Where can I get solid OEM parts at a decent price? I have looked around online, on bimmerforums as well as actually calling up my local dealership, and there seems to be a wide range of prices. Anyone have a trusted supplier that is less than the dealer?

- - - Updated - - -

Pictures from rear window
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9 5 speed
    I can't comment on the emiata product, but all Z3s have the problem of the fabric rubbing on the window and causing damage (regardless of the manufacturer of the window). Again, I can't comment on how soon the problem should manifest on a new window but a window blanket is the only real solution to stop this happening.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    I do not have that problem with my emiata window. Been in over a year now and no issues to date. Call them--they have a website. As for the glue, I masked it off and that worked.

My Cars
    1997 Z3 Roadster M52 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bingley View Post
    I do not have that problem with my emiata window. Been in over a year now and no issues to date. Call them--they have a website. As for the glue, I masked it off and that worked.
    I got smarter after the first section, and used the blue masking tape to do the rest. That seemed to work. Any advice for getting a couple smudges off once the contact cement is on there? Do I just live with it now?

My Cars
    98 Roadster 2.8L
    Quote Originally Posted by mangoose View Post
    Any advice for getting a couple smudges off once the contact cement is on there?
    I had a couple of smudges as well when I did mine... went back with a black Sharpie and colored it... would never know unless looking for it.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    ... in addition to the crease, there was a point of contact on the window with the canvas of the top. It looked as though the canvas pattern was imprinted in the plastic of the window...
    Where can I get solid OEM parts at a decent price?... Anyone have a trusted supplier that is less than the dealer?...
    Roadster Solutions has the OEM window for $322:
    http://www.roadstersolutions.com/page6.html
    A mail order BMW dealer, BMW of South Atlanta has it for $299:
    http://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/p...318401027.html

However, if you are proposing to replace the Emiata window with an OEM window, I don't think that will be satisfactory even if possible. The windows seal differently. The OEM uses a built-in sticky tape to seal, and then tucks the edge of the soft top into a plastic trim channel that is part of the window. The edge of the soft top must be in good condition, no fraying, and no cement from attempts to seal it, or it won't fit into the plastic trim.

The Emiata uses a flap of canvas glued over the soft top all around the window. If the Emiata is removed, the messed up edge of the soft top might not receive the OEM plastic trim, and the wide ring of Emiata glue residue around the OEM window will look bad.

Once you replace OEM with Emiata, I don't think you can go back to OEM.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BladeRunner919 View Post
    ... all Z3s have the problem of the fabric rubbing on the window and causing damage (regardless of the manufacturer of the window)... a window blanket is the only real solution to stop this happening.
    I got the rear window protector from Roadster Solutions: http://www.roadstersolutions.com/page6.html
    After pulling the top up and latching it, you can undo the clips and pull the protector into the car without getting out again.
    Last edited by Vintage42; 07-08-2013 at 04:47 PM.

My Cars
    1997 Z3 Roadster M52 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage42 View Post
    Roadster Solutions has the OEM window for $322:
    http://www.roadstersolutions.com/page6.html
    A mail order BMW dealer, BMW of South Atlanta has it for $299:
    http://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/p...318401027.html

However, if you are proposing to replace the Emiata window with an OEM window, I don't think that will be satisfactory even if possible. The windows seal differently. The OEM uses a built-in sticky tape to seal, and then tucks the edge of the soft top into a plastic trim channel that is part of the window. The edge of the soft top must be in good condition, no fraying, and no cement from attempts to seal it, or it won't fit into the plastic trim.

The Emiata uses a flap of canvas glued over the soft top all around the window. If the Emiata is removed, the messed up edge of the soft top might not receive the OEM plastic trim, and the wide ring of Emiata glue residue around the OEM window will look bad.

Once you replace OEM with Emiata, I don't think you can go back to OEM.

- - - Updated - - -

I got the rear window protector from Roadster Solutions: http://www.roadstersolutions.com/page6.html
    After pulling the top up and latching it, you can undo the clips and pull the protector into the car without getting out again.
    I imagine I could get the contact cement off by cutting the glue off (a careful and tedious job to be sure, but one I might have to do). Then even if the top looks a bit icky, the rubber seal should cover the glued portions.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kojohns View Post
    I had a couple of smudges as well when I did mine... went back with a black Sharpie and colored it... would never know unless looking for it.
    Sneaky! I'll have to try it...I tried a few chemicals to remove it, but its not coming off.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Really, the emiata window is higher quality than the oem anyway--yours must have had a defect, or there might be some kind of solvent on your top.

My Cars
    1998 z3 1.9
    On my first z3 I installed the emiata rear window. I too thought it was better quality then the OEM. I always used a towel over the rear window before I put the top down. It eliminates the crease and keeps the window from rubbing against itself and scratching. I believe that you can solve you window issue by just using the stock window cover that you can find on ebay or an old beach towel. As for the glue. I did the Sharpie root myself on a few of glue spots. It really works great and has the same flat appearance as the canvas after a day or two in the sun. Be happy you can see out the back now.DSCF1963.JPG

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    I imagine I could get the contact cement off by cutting the glue off (a careful and tedious job to be sure, but one I might have to do). Then even if the top looks a bit icky, the rubber seal should cover the glued portions...
    The edge of the soft top has to be pristine to be inserted into the OEM trim. Soft fraying, or old cement from sealing attempts, or glue from an Emiata window, could prevent the canvas from going into the OEM trim.
    There is no rubber seal on the OEM window that covers the edge of the soft top. There is the sticky tape, which is under the edge of the soft top. And there is the black channel trim, that receives the edge of the soft top.
    I think removal of an Emiata window leaves a band of glue on the soft top around the window hole, and likely messes up the edge of the soft top, so that only another Emiata window will install OK and look OK.

My Cars
    02 e367, 08 Acura TL-S
    I'm going to sound like an a-hole here, but please understand that isn't my true intent. Hopefully someone in the future will see this thread.

An OEM window can be found for <$300. The fit and install is nearly foolproof. It takes less than 20 mins. I have said it many times in other threads. The thought of going with an aftermarket company just doesn't make sense when you're saving $50 or so.

I'm sorry your experience w/ this hasn't been satisfactory thus far. I have no experience w/ eMiata, but I never will when the OEM solution is so comparable. I spent 40 mins installing my window and have never thought about it since (now that I have done a few, it takes half the time).

-Todd

My Cars
    1997 Z3 Roadster M52 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by lokijibber View Post
    I'm going to sound like an a-hole here, but please understand that isn't my true intent. Hopefully someone in the future will see this thread.

An OEM window can be found for <$300. The fit and install is nearly foolproof. It takes less than 20 mins. I have said it many times in other threads. The thought of going with an aftermarket company just doesn't make sense when you're saving $50 or so.

I'm sorry your experience w/ this hasn't been satisfactory thus far. I have no experience w/ eMiata, but I never will when the OEM solution is so comparable. I spent 40 mins installing my window and have never thought about it since (now that I have done a few, it takes half the time).
    You aren't being a jerk don't worry, and if the difference was truly ~$50, I probably wouldn't have gone with emiata either. In my research, the best I could find an OEM window for was $299 + $15 shipping. The emiata window was $89 plus $10 shipping. Difference of ~215. If it was 250 vs 300 I would totally agree with you, but as its approximately 3x the price, and I hadn't seen anything negative from them, I figured I would give it a shot.

My Cars
    02 e367, 08 Acura TL-S

You aren't being a jerk don't worry, and if the difference was truly ~$50, I probably wouldn't have gone with emiata either. In my research, the best I could find an OEM window for was $299 + $15 shipping. The emiata window was $89 plus $10 shipping. Difference of ~215. If it was 250 vs 300 I would totally agree with you, but as its approximately 3x the price, and I hadn't seen anything negative from them, I figured I would give it a shot.
    Didn't realize eMiata was sub-$100... that said, I paid $235 for mine from Bimmerzone, but that was a year ago (nearly to the week).

To try and help you, use a razor, a brand spanking new, hella sharp, one that's still a bit oily, to scrape the excess glue, then use some mineral spirits on a shop towel to "ball up" the remainder. If its a thick silicon hopefully not too much absorbed into the fabric.

-Todd

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by lokijibber View Post
    ... An OEM window can be found for <$300. The fit and install is nearly foolproof. It takes less than 20 mins... I have no experience w/ eMiata, but I never will when the OEM solution is so comparable. I spent 40 mins installing my window and have never thought about it since (now that I have done a few, it takes half the time).
    I was unable to install the OEM window. I got the old OEM window out, but after a few attempts to start the zipper pull, the plastic tab on the new OEM window came apart, allowing the fabric to fray and fuzz so it could not be inserted in the pull. I returned the OEM window to the vendor for partial refund, and ordered an Emiata window, which has yet to arrive. I understand their zipper pull is bigger and easier to get started.
    Some people have reported the same zipper-starting problem with the OEM window, and have reported satisfaction with being able to install the Emiata window.
    I much prefer the clean plastic edge trim of the OEM over the glued canvas trim of the Emiata, but I am afraid to buy a second expensive OEM window and be unable to start the zipper again.
    Last edited by Vintage42; 07-08-2013 at 10:45 PM.

My Cars
    02 e367, 08 Acura TL-S
    Trim the edges of the OEM zipper where it starts. If you F it up, trim the frayed threads. Small sharp sewing scissors are helpful here.

As I'm posting in this thread, I'm realizing there was a lot I did during the process that I didn't document or add to the "lessons learned" thread. I'll make an effort to document the process next time I do one.

-Todd

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage42 View Post
    I was unable to install the OEM window. I got the old OEM window out, but after a few attempts to start the zipper pull, the plastic tab on the new OEM window came apart, allowing the fabric to fray and fuzz so it could not be inserted in the pull. I returned the OEM window to the vendor for partial refund, and ordered an Emiata window, which has yet to arrive. I understand their zipper pull is bigger and easier to get started.
    Some people have reported the same zipper-starting problem with the OEM window, and have reported satisfaction with being able to install the Emiata window.
    I much prefer the clean plastic edge trim of the OEM over the glued canvas trim of the Emiata, but I am afraid to buy a second expensive OEM window and be unable to start the zipper again.
    This--exactly. I had the same problem. The OEM window was shoddy at best--there wasn't any trimming the edges, they just fell apart and un-frayed at the first attempt to get the zipper started--almost ruined my top. I too returned it for a partial refund. I certainly wasn't trying to save any money, as I bought OEM first. The emiata, by contrast, was really well made and of an obviously better quality plastic. It installed much easier. I have grown to like the emiata canvas trim better than the plastic bead of the OEM, which annoyed me when the original began to separate and made me replace the window in the first place.

I get the impression there are OEM windows that are fine--like the one Todd installed, but that there are also OEM windows that aren't fine, like the ones Vintage42 and I got. Now it appears there are bad emiata windows too. Or at least Mangoose's was bad. It's never easy.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    ... I have grown to like the emiata canvas trim better than the plastic bead of the OEM, which annoyed me when the original began to separate and made me replace the window in the first place...
    That was the only reason for replacing my OEM window -- it was losing its black plastic trim. I wish Emiata offered tan canvas trim because their wide black canvas trim won't look quite right on my tan soft top. BTW, the Emiata window was finally shipped yesterday and should arrive three weeks after I ordered it. A long time to go without any rear window.

My Cars
    1997 Z3 Roadster M52 2.8
    Now it appears there are bad emiata windows too. Or at least Mangoose's was bad. It's never easy.
    I can see how the emiata one could be considered better quality if people bought one of those protective pads as well...it seems to handle the creases better (they go away after some time being stretched out), but I don't think the top should leave an imprint on the window by default...

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3 2.8l
    I installed the emiata window this past Saturday. I like the quality of the plastic and the install was easy just on my own and my son helping at the sewing part. Starting the pull on the window at exactly where it was on the old window and lining up the top's outer most zipper is critical for an easy install. Another factor is the size of the space on the pull. This determines how well the zipper teeth mesh. Emiata includes two which is a great touch. You can also carefully open up the space or close it up with needle nose pliers. I personally like the canvas flap over the plastic cording. One thing about the window I wasn't keen on is that the plastic window edges under the canvas trim can be irregular rather than cut precisely along the same line as the trim piece. When it is glued in place there is the outline of the plastic window edge under the trim.

My Cars
    z3
    Cut a pool noodle to sit in the window to alleviate the creasing, it may also alleviate the fabric "pressing" the pattern onto the window. That is kind of unavoidable though... its doing that because of the way the top lays, the emiata window is a softer plastic than OEM and in these hot summer months I am not surprised to see it "mold" like this

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    ... the emiata window is higher quality than the oem...
    I received my Emiata window and compared it to my old OEM window. The Emiata may be easier to zip in, but the quality of mine is so low that I am going to return it without even trying to install it. And I don't like the glued edge that can come loose especially as it tries to bend around the corners. Here's a photo essay:
    http://s49.photobucket.com/user/vint...?sort=9&page=1

So, I am going to order a second OEM window, and hope its zipper starts better than the first OEM window that I bought, messed up and returned.

My Cars
    95 240SX|98 Z3M|05 Elise
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Cut a pool noodle to sit in the window to alleviate the creasing, it may also alleviate the fabric "pressing" the pattern onto the window. That is kind of unavoidable though... its doing that because of the way the top lays, the emiata window is a softer plastic than OEM and in these hot summer months I am not surprised to see it "mold" like this
    I tried the noodle, used it almost "religiously" at first but a month or two later, the crease was there. So I stopped using it because it wasn't working and I felt it was a waste of time to half way drop the top, get out of the car to put the noodle in, and then get back in and finish dropping the top.