Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ICOM Emu w/o dongle for ISID, ISTA-D/P and Gini's snap shot method

My Cars
    '07 320i E90

ICOM Emu w/o dongle for ISID, ISTA-D/P and Gini's snap shot method

I've got a version of ISID / ISTA-D/P(refer to the bottom of post #8 below) that is compatible with even an ICOM Emulator. Member 'Gini' provided files of an ICOM Emulator 'Snap Shot', but of course I have no associated dongle.

I’ve followed various guidelines(from Gini) for network setup but could not get the ‘ICOM’ to appear in the ISID’s ‘Connection manager’ ... (previous non-working setup information deleted).

- - - Updated - - -
    Yesss! Alternate settings for the ICOM Emulator network entries made the ICOM show up in ISID’s ‘Connection manager’!

First, many thanks to: ‘Sensible’[for E89 ONLY ISID(refer to the bottom of post #7 below) - about 76GB as opposed to 106GB+ for all model version], ‘Gini’(for ICOM Emu & 'snap shots'), ‘StudieJP’(for reference to 'Sensible', and the ‘Jamaican(?) YouTuber’(for his "Good Morning YouTubers~").

The installation guide(‘BMW ISID and ISSS for ICOM Emulator with K+D-CAN USB cable configuration manual.pdf’) provided by Gini actually did not work in my case, probably because we are using ISID VMs with different network settings, and therefore, require different ICOM network settings.

Thank you ‘YouTube dude’ (that dude with the amusing/monotonous voice that always begins with, “~ Good Morning YouTubers~…”), that I thought to be Hong Kong-Chinese, but turns out to be Jamaican?! I guess not all Jamaicans sound like ‘dub musicians’! His ICOM settings as shown in his ‘tutorial’ were my ‘inspiration’. No need to view the long drawn out video though, for I've posted the core network settings info below. Sorry 'YouTube dude' if I've affected your enterprise, it's not my intention.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD6PFozuoqM
    *Note: his settings for DIS V57 did not work for me in Vmware 9 though. Hmmm.

Here are the ‘Virtual Network Editor’ settings in image form from my ICOM Emu ‘Snap Shot’ setup.
    *UPDATE: Only one Network Adapter( in my case VMnet2) is needed. If your ISID's Network Adapter is set to a different VMnet(#) then you should set the ICOM Emulator VM to the same VMnet(#). The other Network Adapter's(shown in the image below) can be removed entirely(they are NOT needed).

ICOM VMnet2.jpg

ISTA-D in action.
    ISTA-D(130707)-37(edited).jpg

Cheers.

Update: When ‘exiting’ the VM, I’ve realized that it’s much better to ‘Suspend’ the VM, for the next time selecting ‘Resume’ will open the VM in about 1 minute [based on my Core i5 / 4GB RAM(2,048MB assigned for ISID)/ SSD MacBook Air]. Otherwise, ‘booting’ the VM from scratch takes about 7 minutes!
    Last edited by tinkerman; 12-12-2013 at 05:25 AM.

My Cars
    14 F01 750i 14 F10 550i
    Nice work. What cable are you using?

My Cars
    '07 320i E90
    I am using the ‘One Stop Electronics’ K+D CAN Cable’(which ships with the separate K-CAN adaptor). I do not use the separate adaptor though. I got burned like 3 weeks time when I initially tried the cheapest $25 cable on Ebay that was either stuck on K-CAN or just ‘dead on arrival’. Thank goodness the company just refunded me without me having to ship back the cable to Hong Kong.

If you are looking to get a K+D CAN cable, I’d recommend the OSE cable highly. There are likely many cheaper cables on Ebay, but they will be ‘hit or miss’ (if ur lucky, well hot dang(!), but if you ‘miss’ then ho~ lord(!) ur goin’ to hell – trouble shootin’ for nuthin’ then waiting another few weeks for a good cable – like I did)

Oh, I just noticed you are a ‘seasoned member’. You’ve probably ‘been there and done that’. I should be asking YOU for some pointers!
    Last edited by tinkerman; 07-10-2013 at 03:22 AM.

My Cars
    2012 BMW 320d F30
    Hi!
    Could you help me with network settings for ENET cable?
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...3#post26587893

My Cars
    '07 320i E90
    Hi,

I’ll try to help, for I am very curious about the F30, but note that I do not have experience with F30, ENET, and E-Sys setup.

< Questions >
    1. Which software are you trying to use – ISID/ISTA or E-Sys? Are they VMs?
    2. Are you trying to use Gini’s ICOM Emu & ‘snap shot’ method?
    3. Could you post photos of your hardware connection between the computer and car?
    4. Can you post photos of the software’s(ISID/ISTA or E-Sys) network settings?

I ask for photos because it will make communication easier and leave less chance of miscommunications. Also, it may be settings other than various addresses that need to be checked, and photos would allow for quick reference and correction, especially by more experienced members.
    Last edited by tinkerman; 07-09-2013 at 10:53 AM.

My Cars
    2012 BMW 320d F30
    Quote Originally Posted by tinkerman View Post
    Hi,

I’ll try to help, for I am very curious about the F30, but note that I do not have experience with F30, ENET, and E-Sys setup.

< Questions >
    1. Which software are you trying to use – ISID/ISTA or E-Sys? Are they VMs?
    2. Are you trying to use Gini’s ICOM Emu & ‘snap shot’ method?
    3. Could you post photos of your hardware connection between the computer and car?
    4. Can you post photos of the software’s(ISID/ISTA or E-Sys) network settings?

I ask for photos because it will make communication easier and leave less chance of miscommunications. Also, it may be settings other than various addresses that need to be checked, and photos would allow for quick reference and correction, especially by more experienced members.
    1. E-SYS is working perfectly via ENETcable. Now I try to use ISID/ISTA VM with ICOM Emu via ENET cable.
    2. Yes, I run the "ENET start" snapshot at ICOM Emu VM by Gini.
    3. Hardware is ENET cable http://www.f30post.com/forums/attach...0&d=1339310761
    4. I'll make photos later. Now you can see network settings here: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...3#post26587893

My Cars
    1998 bmw m3 coupe smg
    do you have a link for icom emulator? ive tried to download the one from mega and it doesn't start, tried Firefox and chrome and still wont start. Cheers,j.

My Cars
    '07 320i E90
    Gini's Mega site links are still alive, just checked. Use Google Chrome browser.

< Gini’s shared Icom Emulator 3.0.3 (with ‘snap shots’ to bypass security dongle) >
    xxxxs://mega.co.nz/#!Q5Zn1RJQ!CbatSyuo6EppMYKFjSeFgFa_1d5KQQ7cbIHgFdS orLw
    replace the xxxxs:// with https://

or file link
    xxxxs://mega.co.nz/#!Q5Zn1RJQ
    and key
    CbatSyuo6EppMYKFjSeFgFa_1d5KQQ7cbIHgFdSorLw

Instructions*
    xxxxs://mega.co.nz/#!1gpESKpR
    and key
    KXHTRBJ4IJWQ2RXqv-e_XnpvrplA6yA_2a--dus05To

replace the xxxxs:// with https://

< Gini’s original posts >
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...-install/page6
    post #134

http://bmwcoders.com/forum/bmw-isis-...61/index9.html
    post #90

*In my case, Gini's 'Instructions' did not produce connection between the ISID VM[by ‘Sensible’]** and the ICOM Emu VM. Also, it is instructions for an ICOM Emu, not the 'snap shot' provided by Gini. With the 'snap shot' I realized that I did not have to install the FTDI chip(K+D CAN cable) drivers for the ICOM VM automatically installed them or they were already installed in the snap shot. I just had to manually activate or 'connect' the K+D CAN cable to the ICOM VM(by right clicking on the USB connector icon on the lower right corner of the ICOM VM’s window).

Also, I noticed that the ICOM icon and the ifhsrv32(interface handler) icon do not need to be / should not be executed because they are already running in the snap shot, and actually the ICOM icon when executed just triggers a pop-up mentioning that the security dongle is missing.

If the network settings in Gini's instructions do not work, try the settings I've posted above.

Good luck.

** Update(Dec.'13): Sensible’s ISID (ISTA-D 2.36 / ISTA-P 2.50.4) VM with built-in ICOM Emulator
    http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=894611
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by avgor View Post
    Hi!
    Could you help me with network settings for ENET cable?
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...3#post26587893
    Gini just provided what you asked for:
    (BMW ISID and ISSS for ICOM Emulator with ENET cable configuration manual.pdf)

https://mega.co.nz/#!AloFWbYA
    decryption key: RT9p9BCP6NYtdxmf_HXzpGqsuM5NrCEOL_MvYaKFKhQ

< Gini’s original post >
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...-install/page7
    post #165

Cheers.

- - - Updated - - -

1. E-SYS is working perfectly via ENETcable. Now I try to use ISID/ISTA VM with ICOM Emu via ENET cable.
    3. Hardware is ENET cable http://www.f30post.com/forums/attach...0&d=1339310761
    4. I'll make photos later. Now you can see network settings here: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...3#post26587893
    Nice... Thanks bro, will keep in mind in case I acquire an F30 series in the future.
    Last edited by tinkerman; 12-12-2013 at 05:37 AM.

My Cars
    BMW 330CI DropTop
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    do you have a link for icom emulator? ive tried to download the one from mega and it doesn't start, tried Firefox and chrome and still wont start. Cheers,j.
    I have the same problem, using Chrome I always get this error.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    '07 320i E90
    I just checked again, and it seems to download fine on my laptop.

I wonder if installing a fresh version of Chrome might help?

Perhaps there are too many downloading it?

My Cars
    1998 bmw m3 coupe smg
    weird,ive firefox and chrome and it just hangs on 0%,how long before it started downloading for you?

My Cars
    2001 BMW E46 320i
    Anybody wants it,you pay for postage,and I'll put it on dvd and send to you.

My Cars
    '07 320i E90
    *Update(01-18-2014.): the following link is dead. Please use the MEGA links of post #8 above.

For those that have trouble on the Mega site (probably due to high traffic):

I’ve uploaded Gini’s ICOM Emu with snap shots onto the QuickShare site.
    The initial download link is:
    http://qshare.com/get/1258239/ICOM_Emulator_3.0.3.zip.html

(just in case the abbreviated link does not work, the full link below)
    xxxx://qshare.com/get/1258239/ICOM_Emulator_3.0.3.zip.html

replace “xxxx” with http

Cheers.
    Last edited by tinkerman; 01-17-2014 at 02:18 PM.

My Cars
    1998 bmw m3 coupe smg
    mega worked in the end for me on the last try!

My Cars
    '07 320i E90
    For those curious about the workings of this ‘snap shot’ business, Gini’s ‘snap shot’ of the ICOM emulator seems to place the user ‘past’ the security dongle check phase which seems to be initiated when the regular ICOM emulator VM is started.

In other words, I think that the dongle is only referenced initially by the security scheme upon the VM’s boot, and thereafter, it does not check. So the ‘snap shot’ is essentially in a state after the security check. ‘Back to the Future’. Crazy! Lol

Download Gini’s ‘Instructions from the Mega site for general reference.
    There are 3 versions of the instructions:
    BMW ISID and ISSS for ICOM Emulator with OPS configuration manual.pdf (1.9MB)
    BMW ISID and ISSS for ICOM Emulator with K+D-CAN USB cable configuration manual.pdf (2MB)
    Vola_BMW_ISID_and_ISSS_for_ICOM_Emulator_with_ENET _cable_configuration_manual.pdf (2.4MB)

Note: As I had mentioned in my case, because I am using a ‘customized’ ISID VM perhaps with different network settings than that which is referenced for Gini’s instructions, the instructions’ network settings did not make the ICOM show up in the ISID’s ‘Connection manager’.

Since my ISID VM’s network settings cannot be altered (because it triggers errors), I could only adjust the network settings of ‘the ICOM emulator snap shot VM’. Those settings are what I posted as images. Now, in your case, Gini’s instructions might work as is, if your ISID VM is from the same source. Try Gini’s instructions, and if you do not see the ICOM show up in the ISID’s ‘Connection manager’ within say 10-15 seconds, then try the settings I’ve posted.

Also, instead of opening the ICOM.vmdk directly, you need to go to the upper scroll menu:
    VM > Snapshot > K+DCAN Start (or ENET Start)
    Doing so starts the ICOM emulator VM’s ‘snap shot’.

Getting the ICOM’s network settings in line with the ISID’s settings so they are ‘on the same network’ is the key. It will take some fiddlin’ and patience. When the ICOM appears in ISID’s ‘Connection manager’ it’s just heaven. Have fun.
    Last edited by tinkerman; 12-12-2013 at 05:41 AM.

My Cars
    '07 320i E90

Solution for 'Cannot Access Virtual Disk After Mounting'

This might seem off topic, but may be very helpful for some that would like to selectively customize or update their ISTA-D/P’s SP-Daten, but cannot access the virtual disk after mounting it to a virtual drive.

I tried mounting an ISID virtual disk(vmdk) via WinMount, VMware workstation's ‘Map Virtual Disk’, and VMware DiskMount Utility, but when I tried to open the drive I got this error:

"Location is not available
    Z:\ is not accessible.
    Incorrect function."

Well, I was lucky enough to stumble upon the cause and a 'work around'. It not only resolves the issue for WinMount, but for the ‘Map Virtual Disk’ feature of VMware Workstation, and likely others like VMware DiskMount Utility etc.

Disable UAC(User Accounts Control) in Windows(temporarily as needed):
    - In Vista and later versions such as Windows 7, under 'User Account Control Settings', bring the slider setting all the way down to 'Never notify'.

From a security stand point it's not ideal, but since peering into the ISID partitions to update SP-Daten is a temporary activity, can be done off line, and done with anti-virus software running, I think it should be fine to have the UAC setting down(OFF) briefly when necessary.

Apparently the UAC(User Accounts Control) feature in Windows Vista and later Microsoft OS, can cause programs to be unable to access some network locations.

For further ultra geek details check out the following link's post #6 along with the Microsoft link within.
    http://communities.vmware.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0
    Last edited by tinkerman; 12-12-2013 at 05:43 AM.

My Cars
    2001 BMW E46 320i
    Can anybody tell me password for changing network settings in Ista-P.Many thanks.

My Cars
    '07 320i E90
    The Admin password for Sensible’s ISID VM was “azerty123”. If that does not work for your ISID/ISTA-P, and the source of the VM is not an option, perhaps you should consider changing the network settings of the ICOM emu(if you are using one or a snap shot) to be aligned with the ISID/ISTA-D/P VM’s network settings.

What are you trying to accomplish?

* Wow, this is my 100th post here!
    Last edited by tinkerman; 12-12-2013 at 05:45 AM.

My Cars
    2001 BMW E46 320i
    When I try to change the network adaptor settings to VMNet2 in the right column,it changes back to VMNet0(auto bridging).I think this is why I cannot communicate with Ista-P.VMWare workstation version 9 by the way.I can't use earlier version,as I can't open Icom and Ista.Can anybody help please,please.Many thanks,Paul.
    Last edited by paulb34; 07-22-2013 at 09:18 AM.

My Cars
    2009 750i
    Quote Originally Posted by paulb34 View Post
    When I try to change the network adaptor settings to VMNet2 in the right column,it changes back to VMNet0(auto bridging).I think this is why I cannot communicate with Ista-P.VMWare workstation version 9 by the way.I can't use earlier version,as I can't open Icom and Ista.Can anybody help please,please.Many thanks,Paul.
    Hi,
    for me tinkerman's solution worked very well. I had an older Version of ISID (2.3) and there the ICOM Emu worked with my old network configuration, i just had to change both network adapter settings from 'auto-bridged' to 'vmnet2'.
    For ISIS 3.1 (http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ISTA-P-2-48-3) I changed the network config. as tinkerman suggested and the Icom popped up in Ista-d and ista-p.
    When i change the settings to vmnet2, it changes back to vmnet0 next time i open it. But thats ok, cause under summary there stands 'vmnet2' and it work very well.

Thanks to Tinkerman.

My Cars
    '07 320i E90
    Quote Originally Posted by paulb34 View Post
    Hi paulb34,

Don’t get too hung up on the snap shot, if it is not working out for you. Thanks to another generous hand out from Gini, I’m going to make a new post on cloning Gini’s ICOM emulator dongle itself. I’ve just resolved a technical issue I encountered, cloned it, tried it out and it works beautifully.
    The new post should be up within this weekend. Cheers!

My Cars
    '07 320i E90
    Hi avgor,

Regarding E-Sys use, if you are using an ICOM Emulator, are the 'patch' and 'token' still needed? Or is the ICOM Emulator basically the 'patch' and 'token'?

If the 'patch' and 'token' are separate from the ICOM Emulator and are required to run E-Sys, can you PM me your source? Thanks.

My Cars
    2011 535i M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by tinkerman View Post
    Hi avgor,

Regarding E-Sys use, if you are using an ICOM Emulator, are the 'patch' and 'token' still needed? Or is the ICOM Emulator basically the 'patch' and 'token'?

If the 'patch' and 'token' are separate from the ICOM Emulator and are required to run E-Sys, can you PM me your source? Thanks.
    With E-Sys you will use ENET Cable, not ICOM EMU. ICOM EMU is for use with ISTA (ISID and ISSS).

The Patch / Token for E-Sys is to make it so you can use E-Sys to FDL Code. Without it, you can only VO Code.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
    2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE

My Cars
    2001 BMW E46 320i
    Waiting for my usb pen,will let you know when it's here.Many thanks.

My Cars
    2008 BMW M5
    For everyone who has gotten this working as I did, have you tried the VANOS diagnostics? I am getting intermittent 'Interface Distrurbed' popups while performing that particular diagnostic.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast