Thread: How to Post Pics?

My Cars
    Alpina B9 Trib, '91 850i

How to Post Pics?

Done some research here but not found anything definitive as of yet to serve as a guide for users to post pictures in this forum... I am interested in knowing how some members can post la full size, normal looking photo whereas others have a small image that needs to be clicked to expand, and then there are those like me who cannot post any pic ever. Many of the pics that I have tried uploading were taken with a normal iPhone 4 or 5, so its not like the image ought to be that much larger that this server can't handle. I can't quite just get it and know that there are many others out there like me who also are frustrated by this.

In a camera, the better the resolution, the more space/memory it requires. But at least with a camera, you can alter the image size so it doesn't make sense to me that this server does not allow for my iPhone pics to be uploaded! All the photos I've taken with my camera have not been anything necessarily fancy or abnormally large either.

Some of you have suggested using picasa or google albums as a photo hosting site/link, but that really doesn't solve the problem where forum members ought to be able to upload pics onto a post/thread with the size constraints that are here (and that too is to be questioned as well based on the iPhone photos)...

What is the secret handshake, now that I am past the 100 post count, to upload photos?

My Cars
    I miss my E31!!!!!!!!!!
    I use google. I store my pictures there anyway. Same with documents. Easy to share and easy to control.
    Last edited by shogun; 01-28-2018 at 06:57 AM.

My Cars
    Alpina B9 Trib, '91 850i
    By the way, I have over 500 + posts in the 911 BBS at Pelican Parts with close to half or more in pictures, and I have never once had issues uploading a single pic there. But, I am determined to make it work in this forum. I downloaded some pics onto photobucket. I then accessed this website and tried going advanced in replying within this thread to see if I could finally post a pic. So, I read everything above and still no luck. Went to manage attachments, then to add files, and instead from uploading from my computer, I pasted the link within photobucket of the image I wanted to post. And naturally, as soon as I do that, an error message pops up indicating that's in an invalid file.

What am I doing wrong?

My Cars
    97 840Ci Individual
    I use www.imgur.com

Personally I think it's the easiest and fastest image uploader.

Here's a quick guide for you:

1. Go to imgur.com and click on "Computer"

2. Browse your computer, find the picture you want, and hit Open

3. Hit "Start Upload"

4. You want the text under the BBCode section

5. Just highlight it, right click and hit copy

6. Now paste it into your forum post. It will look like this:

But when you make your post, it'll look like this:

Hope that helped.

My Cars
    1995 840Ci
    Here's another version of the same advice.

Honestly I don't know if this will work with Internet Explorer. I recommend using Firefox instead.

Use your browser (firefox) to find the picture you want to link to. Right click it and select "copy image location"

Then use the little image icon here in the board, select from URL and "paste" into the dialog box. You can paste by hitting "control v" on your keyboard (hit v while holding down control) or by right clicking and selecting paste.

Again, I recommend using Firefox, I don't mess with Internet Explorer unless it is some ancient Army site that doesn't play well with others, that's the only reason I don't try to straight uninstall it.

Here is a random v12 photo

Also, I did this with my phone, using Firefox.

One more thing... uncheck the "reference remote file location and reference locally" checkbox if you want a full size picture. Maybe. Actually I sort of think I did it both ways here.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1997 840Ci
    I've been exporting my files from iphoto to my desktop & adjusting the size during transfer, then in the posts, uploading from my computer desk top.

My Cars
    91 e31, 67 Camaro
    Thanks to lawlshane I now have a pic in show your ride but I couldn't figure out how to add text, it's a grey hair thing.

My Cars
    97 840Ci Individual
    You need the BB code image tags. . They are just [img] and [/img]. Put the direct URL to the picture between them. The URL should end in the picture's filetype. .jpg, png, .gif, .bmp, etc. Yours appears to be https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-f...s640/image.jpg.

Here it is with the [img] tags in place

My Cars
    97 850CI
    And one just to irritate you.

Ice that made me laugh out loud! Well done.
    Last edited by 72tpik5; 03-03-2014 at 07:45 PM.

My Cars
    E31/E32 VWs Tesla
    Another service is dropbox. It should be mentioned that nearly all of the services mentioned have mobile apps that allow you to save some energy.
    Normal procedure:
    1) Take pictures with camera
    2) Transfer pictures to PC
    3) Open pictures with photo editing software (Check out www.gimp.org for a great open source photo suite) and resize to reasonable 800x600 or 1024x768
    4a) Login to service [dropbox, picassa, photobucket, etc] and upload files.
    4b) (Alternatively) Many of the photo sharing services offer an application to make staring images easier, Dropbox for instance allows you to just save to a special folder on your PC and have it synced online. (FYI: Shameless plug: If you don't have a dropbox account, use this referral link and we both get an extra 500MB storage: https://db.tt/8dsStAL )
    5) Once the resized images are on the internet, get the link to the image you want to share, and paste it into the forum message with a [ I M A G E ] paste url [ / I M A G E] tag.

Alternatively, if you are shooting photos with a smart phone, you can install the [dropbox|flickr|imageshack|etc] app on you phone and take a picture that will get immediately posted to the internet.

Finally, there is a neat gadget called an EyeFi SD card, which is a WiFi enabled SD card. This gadget steals power off the SD interface and connects to wireless, then posts images online, or syncs them with your computer, making posting slightly easier.
    Last edited by EEDegreeToDrive; 01-12-2014 at 10:38 AM.

'89 735i, '91 850i, '81 MB 380SLC (For Sale), Tesla Model 3, and VW Passat TDI -- Yes, I still repair General Modules, DM for info!

My Cars
    1996 318i vert with m44
    Last edited by JamesDK; 01-28-2018 at 12:23 AM.

My Cars
    1997 M3 Sedan

How to...

..post pictures?

- - - Updated - - -

Time or post requirements?

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    use the test form first https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/f...hp?123-Testing
    To share photos with the forum, load the images to an Photo Hosting Site, such as Wix, Google Photos, 500px, etc. Avoid using Photo Bucket or ImgUr as both make it difficult to link to forums.
    Once uploaded to a hosting site, copy the link (the http://hosting_site.com/your_pic.jpg) of your photo to your forum message.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!