Thread: Turn signals blink too fast (both sides) and Defective bulb indicator lamp on

My Cars
    2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Turn signals blink too fast (both sides) and Defective bulb indicator lamp on

I have a 2006 BMW Z4 “Defective bulb” indicator lamp on, and my turn signals (both sides!) flash much faster than normal. My first thought was I have a turn signal bulb out, but when both sides flashed too fast, I knew that probably not the case. When I got home, I looked all over and only found one of the two license plate bulbs out (and I replaced both with bulbs from AutoZone) but that didn’t fix it. I then read on the forums that this indicator lamp may turn on when a bulb is about to go out (the bulb has some black on it?), or if a bulb socket is showing some burnt spots. I purchased some new rear turn signal bulbs and rear brake light bulbs from AutoZone on the way home. The turn signal bulbs fit and I put them in, but the rear brake light replacement bulbs where double element and didn’t fit (the ones in my Z4 are single element). I left the original rear brake bulbs in, but reseated them to make sure they are getting good contact. To my surprise, the “Defective bulb” indicator lamp was out, and the turn signals both flashed at the proper rate. The next day coming home from work, the problem showed up again. I called my local dealer and they said to bring it by and they would help me take a look at it “in the lane.” The service lady, Kathy was very nice and tried to help. She even got another turn signal bulb from the parts guy and put it in to see if using an aftermarket bulb was my problem (it wasn’t). She also got one of the techs to come out to make sure we were not missing anything (we weren’t). She did discover that when the Hazard warning flashers button is pressed, that both sides flash at the proper speed! Please also note that I do not have any extra aftermarket LED mirrors or extra LED replacement bulbs in place (everything is stock with normal bulbs in the normal places.) No recent work has been done to the car either.

She then said (along with the tech) that they would have to hook the car up to their diagnostic computers to tell which bulb the car was not happy with (this would cost $107.00)!
    While I was there, I purchased two rear brake light single element bulbs from them ($19.81 total!) and installed them (this didn’t help).

Any advice on this problem? I got a chance to again carefully check both back and both side turn signal lamps and their sockets (no problems found), but I have not had a chance to take the front wheel well covers off and inspect the front turn signal bulbs and sockets. I also read in the forums that some BMW cars (I’m not sure what models) had problems with “trunk wiring harness going bad where it bends when the trunk is opened and closed.”

My Cars
    2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
    Does anyone know the location of the turn signal relay on my 2006 Z4 3.0i ? Thanks!

My Cars
    z3
    Did you replace the front, rear, and sidemarker bulbs? Start here, and go to Autozone for these... bulbs are bulbs, no point spending $20 for some bulbs!

Sometimes they will still flash but will be developing corrosion that can cause the cold lamp check to read bad bulb, which may cause fast blinkers, but it is kind of odd that they both happened at the same time. You may be onto something with the turn signal relay. www.realoem.com and you should be able to find it

First step, install any new bulbs you have yet to install. Check for corrosion around terminals - use wire brush if needed. Faulty trunk wiring will not cause fast flashing (it will just cause your third brake light to fail - I think I have this problem right now, lol)

Pro tip: next time you change bulbs, take an old one with you into the Autozone to make sure you are getting a correct replacement.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
    I have now had the chance to carefully check each turn signal bulb and its socket (a total of 8) and none of them show any burnt spots etc. They all work, and look fine. I have also checked the trunk lid wiring and it also shows no problems. I put dielectric (sp?) grease on the front 4 bulbs and sockets, but I have not done the back or sides yet.

I have been setting at a stop light waiting to turn with my turn signals on, and the frequency of the blinking was changing back and forth from normal speed to fast. When it changed to fast the defective bulb indicator light on the dash would pop on, and then when the blinking speed returned to normal speed, the indicator light went out. It skipped around like this back and forth a time or two just on that one turn. (It was not raining outside either.) When the blinking speed is too fast, it doesn't seem to matter which side is blinking, both sides always blink too fast, and the light is always on in the dash.

I read in another post that the Z4's turn signals are controlled by some type of module instead of a standard type turn signal relay. Does anyone know if this is true, and if so where it is located?

I also have TIS, and have looked around in there some (I find it very hard to use.) I have looked some under the 63 Lighting area, but have not found yet trouble shooting directions for turn signals. If some one could point me to the correct page numbers, that would be great.

Thank you again for your help.

My Cars
    2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
    I forgot to mention that I have noticed for some time (at least a year) some condensation behind the fog light covers. I have not taken the fog lights apart or checked them. They do both work fine, and I believe one has to take the front bumper cover off to get to them, so I have not done that. Could this have anything to do with my turn signals?

My Cars
    z3
    The Z4 lights are controlled with an LCM which I believe is partly or entirely built into the headlight switch.

Unlikely your fog lights have anything to do with this but I am not too familiar with the Z4 chassis yet. Someone more knowledgable than me will be here in no time to chime in. But I think you are right, its most likely the LCM. I know they fail on this car and other BMWs and it will give symptoms like you are describing.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    2004 Z4, 1700 Nomad MC
    My 2004Z light indicator light came on and all my brake lights were still functional/light up when tested with INPA software which showed it was a brake light which was tripping the sensor/fault light. Drove me crazy trying to figure out what was going on with it. Seems that the BMW sensing system is very sensitive to lights that aren't quite up to "standard" expected for a functional light.... I replaced the lights one by one with a new light and finally the "dodgy" light revealed it self. It showed some signs of being unhealthy and likely a candidate for a burn out but still was quite functional. I cleaned all my sockets and bulbs with electrical cleaner in the process of identifying the guilty bulb.....

Sent from my iPad using BF.com

My Cars
    2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
    I would like to purchase some type of software and cable to find out from the system exactly what is tripping the indicator light. (I would also like to be able to register a new battery with it if I needed to.) Is there an inexpensive software and cable on Amazon or Ebay that folks have found works? Thanks.

My Cars
    2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
    Do you know of inexpensive software and a cable from Amazon or Ebay that would read this fault information so I would know more of what I an trying to trouble shoot? I would also like to be able to register a new battery with it, if I would ever need to replace the battery. Thanks.

My Cars
    2004 Z4, 1700 Nomad MC
    Get your cable and software from Chris at .... www.BMTechnic.co.uk His one click install software just works and he will provide install help if you have issues.

Good site for info .... www.shipkiller.com

My Cars
    2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
    I've done hours of reading today at both sites you link to above. I've emailed BMTechnic and asked a bunch of questions on his cables and software.
    My main thought is if I order the cable and software from BMTechnic it will cost about $75 USA dollars. That seems a little high, but I know it is coming from over the pond

There is a seller "bmwfanatiq" on ebay that sells what looks to me like the same thing for $35 plus $8 shipping. Does anyone see any difference between the two (or has anyone else bought from either person)?

Thanks again for your help.

My Cars
    2004 Z4, 1700 Nomad MC
    Yes.... Chris's software install is tailored to your specific computer so it installs seamlessly. It literally installs each software program provided... There are about 6... With one click of the mouse. No screwing around trying to properly install the program and getting the right settings. Well worth the extra cost.

My Cars
    1998 540i Sport + 3 more
    Considering the amount if money you have spent on bulbs and are thinking about spending on cables and testing software, not to mention the time you've spent researching this, the $107 it would have cost to have it properly diagnosed in the beginning must be looking like a bargain right about now.
    If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

My Cars
    2004 Z4, 1700 Nomad MC
    Bulbs are cheap as is ones personal time. The software is cheap compared to shop charges. Once you have it the next problem you diagnosis tends to be free.... You also tend to learn your car systems as well, which helps you understand that a fault code doesn't necessarily mean that's what's wrong with the car.

My Cars
    z3
    I have heard lots of problems with the BMtechnic software so I am surprised to hear it recommended so widely in the Z4 world.

The BMW diagnostic software actually changes registry files (basically the core of your computer's operating system) and a lot of these one-click installs have issues with not being able to alter the registry files and therefore not being fully installed, giving all kinds of weird software glitches when you try to diagnose stuff.

I would spend $30 on an eBay cable and $100 on a cheap laptop (the diagnostic software is FREE online) before using BMtechnic stuff. Just really seems like a lot of people without personal experience with BMtechnic recommend it because they have seen other people recommend it...

OP, this could REALLY only be the bulbs, bulb socket corrosion, or the LCM. Shouldnt be too complicated

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    2004 Z4, 1700 Nomad MC
    I use the software.... This is the first I've heard of individuals having issues with the software. Chris/BMTechnic is a sponsor on the M3 Cutters forum and is highly regarded and will answer questions or solutions to the occasional install glitch including online support. I have my software on a notebook because it was free to me .... And the bonus is that I can take it with me on trips should I wish to.

Feel free to get your software from eBay and program your hardware to accommodate your software. On that issue I've read countless threads .... There is a time and place when spending the money is well worth it.

Sent from my iPad using BF.com

Quote Originally Posted by Zed Master View Post
    Considering the amount if money you have spent on bulbs and are thinking about spending on cables and testing software, not to mention the time you've spent researching this, the $107 it would have cost to have it properly diagnosed in the beginning must be looking like a bargain right about now.
    +1!

My Cars
    2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
    Well, I have replaced the two side indicator bulbs with new ones and have special grease in all the sockets all around (still hasn't fixed the problem.) The only bulbs left to replace would be the front four (two on each side) but I cannot find these bulbs at AutoZone and do not want to pay dealer price right now.

I have also ordered the software and cable from Chris at BMTechnic. I asked a ton of questions, and he answered them all. He seems like a very nice guy and he is involved in forums, etc. If I have more questions, I believe he will help me and/or point me in the right direction. (I'll try to remember to let folks know how the cable and softtware works.)

As far as $107 looking like a good deal at this point, all I have to say is hind sight is always better I had just finished a complete timing belt change on my 2004 Honda Odyssey, and with Honda's excellent factory manual I was able to do that with full confidence that I had done it right. When I was standing at the BMW dealership, all I could think of is I can change a timing belt on my Odyssey but can't fix a turn signal bulb on my Z4!!! (The guys at work think it is absolutely hilarious.)

Besides, I thought with all the folks on this forum that someone would have had the same problem and that would lead me to the right answer as to how to fix the turn signals blinking too fast.

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    Quote Originally Posted by ckmccollim View Post
    As far as $107 looking like a good deal at this point,...
    Y'know, some independents don't even charge this fee.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    2004 Z4, 1700 Nomad MC
    INPA software allows you to turn on lights, switches, motors etc.. Great for figuring out what functions and what doesn't. The NavCoder software allows you to easily turn off monitoring of various lights... I used that to narrow my search for the elusive bulb as well. Turn off monitoring of xxxxx then clear faults and then switch off .. Waited for system to reset (my term...you will know what I mean when you listen... approx 16 seconds afterwards) and then switch on and check to see if fault light returns.... the $70 paid will be paid back many times to come in the future.

My Cars
    2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
    I have looked several places to find tutorials on how to use INPA, but all I find are tutorials on how to install.
    I have found a few that tell you how to do one test or how to clear one light, but not a general--now that you have this installed and working, this is how to use it and what you can do with it.
    Is there a manual that comes with the software? (I have ordered a cable and software, and have not received it yet. I was hoping to be able to read up on it before I got it.

This is a list of the software that comes with the cable I ordered:

• Diagnostic Information System v57 (DIS)
    • INPA 5.0.6 and Ediabas 7.3.0
    • NCS Expert 4.0.1
    • Technical Information System (TIS)
    • SSS Progman v32 (NOT INCLUDED IN INTERNET DOWNLOAD VERSION)
    • NavCoder (TRIAL VERSION ONLY)
    • WinKFP 5.3.1
    • ToolSet32 4.0.3

My Cars
    2004 Z4, 1700 Nomad MC
    INPA was trial by looking at/playing everything I could don't hat didn't seem to involve coding anything. It is apparently a BMW engineers program that allowed them to look at the status of the vehicle in real time. I just plain experimented with it to learn its capabilities. NCS Expert is a coding program.... That is one you have to be careful with. M3Cutters forum has some basic tutorials... Googling is how you find out how to code or otherwise use it. NavCoder I played with to learn/do basic coding of lights such as turning off DRL's prior to playing with the various programs so my battery didn't run down as fast. That program is the easiest to use with the least likely harm done to your car. That is the program you should start with first. It's also the one to use to localize your light bulb issue. Turn off monitoring of the various lights one by pne to see what is causing the light bulb indicator to "fault"....

My Cars
    2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
    Sorry it has taken me so long to report back to this thread. I’ve been busy. First, I found a deal on a 2011 BMW 328i red convertible with less than 10,000 miles on it. I bought it from an Audi dealership in GA that had taken it in on trade, and was able to purchase it for less than KBB wholesale/trade-in. My local Pensacola, FL Sandy Sansing BMW dealership salesman Berry Brown helped me look at the VIN number in the BMW system and he encouraged me to go purchase it (so I did). This is my wife’s dream car (the Z4 is my dream car.)

Second, I ordered a BM Technic cable and software package from Chris. I am very pleased with my purchase. Things that influenced me to purchase from him are as follows: 1) He is a real person from the UK that speaks English. 2) He always answers my emails in a reasonable time (I asked many questions in many emails and always got answers.) 3) He is very knowledgable about his product and very capable in being able to help you if you run into any problems. 4) He is active in the UK forums and has posted several how to’s. 5) True “one-click” installs.

Two tips about the BM Technic cable and software. 1. Make sure you read all the information in the email that he sends you (read the google document that he links to in the email.) 2. Make sure you turn OFF your Windows Firewall. I am using this cable/software combo on a Windows 7 (64 bit) USB laptop, and have not had any issues. I believe the ~$76.00 US dollars that I have in this has been a very good investment. The only negative thing is that it comes shipped from the UK and can take up to several weeks to arrive and I’m not aware of a way to track it.

Defective bulb has not been on for some time now (I believe I got it fixed for good.)
    After having driven around for several months with the defective bulb indicator on, the car seemed to settle into the right side turn signals blinking the normal rate, and the left side blinking too fast. One day I was looking at the back of the car and noticed that when I had the left side blinking, that the turn signal bulb no longer blinked (as if it were burned out, but I knew that probably was not the case because I had new bulbs in) but that the clear backup bulb (and maybe one other bulb) was blinking too fast instead. This made me be suspicious of the problem being specifically with the left rear turn signal area. I took the bulb out, and it tested good, so I knew it was either the plastic removable bulb socket or the circuit board that this socket locked into. I noticed for the first time that when I inserted the bulb socket and rotated it into its locked position that the resistance to me turning the socket seemed to get ever so slightly less.
    Just for fun, I switched both bulb sockets (the left for the right, etc.) and when I rotated the bulb socket into its full locked position, I reversed the direction just a little bit to give it a better bite into the circuit board. I have not had any more problems since I have done this, and that was several weeks ago now. I believe that the contacts on this bulb socket that contact the circuit board may get weak after they have a few years on them. Fortunately the cost is only about $10.00 each (the rear turn signal bulb lists for ~$20.00 each!)

As I was sitting in the car trying to figuring out how to use the cable and software that I had just purchased, this all came to me (I had forgotten to turn off the window’s firewall, and didn’t get the cable/software working till the next day.) Once I got the software going, there where error messages in the car’s system that showed both the rear turn signal lights had had problems. Thanks for everyone’s help!

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...54&hg=63&fg=20

#09 Lamp socket f bulb yellow/silver 63216903651 $9.40

My Cars
    2007 bmw 328i
    I have the same problem and same conditions now with a 2007 328i. Any ideas about what is the problem???

My Cars
    2007 bmw 328i

Bmw 2007 328i

Quote Originally Posted by ckmccollim View Post
    I have a 2006 BMW Z4 “Defective bulb” indicator lamp on, and my turn signals (both sides!) flash much faster than normal. My first thought was I have a turn signal bulb out, but when both sides flashed too fast, I knew that probably not the case. When I got home, I looked all over and only found one of the two license plate bulbs out (and I replaced both with bulbs from AutoZone) but that didn’t fix it. I then read on the forums that this indicator lamp may turn on when a bulb is about to go out (the bulb has some black on it?), or if a bulb socket is showing some burnt spots. I purchased some new rear turn signal bulbs and rear brake light bulbs from AutoZone on the way home. The turn signal bulbs fit and I put them in, but the rear brake light replacement bulbs where double element and didn’t fit (the ones in my Z4 are single element). I left the original rear brake bulbs in, but reseated them to make sure they are getting good contact. To my surprise, the “Defective bulb” indicator lamp was out, and the turn signals both flashed at the proper rate. The next day coming home from work, the problem showed up again. I called my local dealer and they said to bring it by and they would help me take a look at it “in the lane.” The service lady, Kathy was very nice and tried to help. She even got another turn signal bulb from the parts guy and put it in to see if using an aftermarket bulb was my problem (it wasn’t). She also got one of the techs to come out to make sure we were not missing anything (we weren’t). She did discover that when the Hazard warning flashers button is pressed, that both sides flash at the proper speed! Please also note that I do not have any extra aftermarket LED mirrors or extra LED replacement bulbs in place (everything is stock with normal bulbs in the normal places.) No recent work has been done to the car either.

She then said (along with the tech) that they would have to hook the car up to their diagnostic computers to tell which bulb the car was not happy with (this would cost $107.00)!
    While I was there, I purchased two rear brake light single element bulbs from them ($19.81 total!) and installed them (this didn’t help).

Any advice on this problem? I got a chance to again carefully check both back and both side turn signal lamps and their sockets (no problems found), but I have not had a chance to take the front wheel well covers off and inspect the front turn signal bulbs and sockets. I also read in the forums that some BMW cars (I’m not sure what models) had problems with “trunk wiring harness going bad where it bends when the trunk is opened and closed.”
    At the end, what was wrong with your car and what you did to fix it ??? I’m having same problem in my 2007 328i and I have no idea of the problem and I don’t know if I can fix by myself. Thanks!