Thread: A Few Issues - No Air from any Vents

My Cars
    2001 E38

A Few Issues - No Air from any Vents

Hey Guys-

Today I seemingly didn't have much luck with my e38. I had a few issues come up. It was raining a lot in NY today and my windows kept fogging up on the interior. So of course I reach for the defrost controls. At first the front defrost was blowing hot air just as it normally would but eventually I realized that it was no longer blowing. So I turn the defrost off, turn the heat off completely and try to start it up again but no air is blowing from anywhere, not the defrost, not even the regular heat. I even tried to turn on the AC and the compressor kicks in but there's just no air blowing from anywhere. The HVAC control/display seems to be working perfectly fine. Everything seems to be pointing to the blower motor/resistor but I want other opinions before I spend that much for replacement parts and rip the dash apart. Some troubleshooting tips to make sure it is the motor/resistor would be great. I recently replaced my heater control valve/aux pump which was leaking but I doubt that has anything to do with this.

Also I can't figure out why all my interior windows are fogging up so badly, I could barely see outside, I literally had to wipe the windshield with a microfiber while driving just to be able to see, it's really strange. I'm guessing the defrost would have taken care of that if it were working.

Also when braking hard from higher speeds I'm getting brake judder. I feel it a bit in the pedal. The steering wheel shakes a bit as well. I'm thinking its brake pad deposits baked onto the rotors. This only happens when its from higher speeds and braking hard but I'll create another thread for that issue. Gotta tackle these one at a time, unfortunately all these issues came up at once...

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    This has been discussed a few times recently. 'Tis the season.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...-intermitently

IcemanBHE is offline ¿pǝpɹɐʇǝɹ noʎ ǝɹɐ
    My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    BTW....use the A/C for foggy windows due to humid conditions...

The A/C dryer will absorb the moisture.
    95 840Ci, Calypso Red/Silver, 83k - 99 740i, Black/Black, 185k, Alpina Mods - 01 740i, Titanium/Silver, 40k, Sport Pkg
    Complete Turnkey Diagnostic/Programming systems available...PM for details.

http://www.8Coupe.com - Please register, spot, and help the project.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    And since you didn't mention it...make sure that you don't have the AUC button selected for continuous recirculation (green LED on right side of button will be illuminated).

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    1997 750 IL
    Recirc on cars is so dumb, cant believe they just kept making them that way. My buddy would always have it on recirculate and the car would fog up and it stunk from being so wet.

Not sure about our e38's but on most cars when you run defrost / heat in the winter the AC automatically comes on to do the dehumidify action.

GL OP, sounds like that blower or resistor, maybe a fuse?
    ---- Processing Individual ----
    Z1XX Upholstery
    Seats front and back in Epingle / leather englishgruen,
    As Schl.Nr. B9EG.
    Front seat backrest in Montana Englishgruen (No. 8 174 861)
    Other interior equipment as for Volleder Nappa englischgruen,
    Schl.Nr. P5EG

My Cars
    2001 E38
    I will try checking the fuses later today. Hopefully its one of those and will save me from having to take the dash apart.

My Cars
    2001 735i M-sport
    How did you get on with this? I'm having similar issues with my 2001 735i... it's very odd, SOMETIMES I get no air blowing out the vents - just a strange random gurgle/knocking noise - yet when I drive and turn the wheel about 45 degrees to the right - it starts blowing normal! Then center the wheel, it stops again! It doesn't do that all the time, sometimes it just works from start to finish of journey with no problems. Any ideas on that one?!

My Cars
    2001 E38
    Quote Originally Posted by geo1400 View Post
    How did you get on with this? I'm having similar issues with my 2001 735i... it's very odd, SOMETIMES I get no air blowing out the vents - just a strange random gurgle/knocking noise - yet when I drive and turn the wheel about 45 degrees to the right - it starts blowing normal! Then center the wheel, it stops again! It doesn't do that all the time, sometimes it just works from start to finish of journey with no problems. Any ideas on that one?!
    I haven't worked on it yet. But I'm planning to follow mayorchucks steps in this thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=2003822 to check the wires under the glove to see where the problem is coming from. most likely I will end up replacing the blower motor and resistor. That's what my symptoms are pointing to so far.

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by geo1400 View Post
    Wonder if water is standing in the fan cover preventing it from turning. Water moves to one side when you turn and frees the blower? Never heard that one. Are you getting water from the drains under the car when using the a/c?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RSharma View Post
    I haven't worked on it yet. But I'm planning to follow mayorchucks steps in this thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=2003822 to check the wires under the glove to see where the problem is coming from. most likely I will end up replacing the blower motor and resistor. That's what my symptoms are pointing to so far.

If you get a meter on the larger wires above the glove box there, can you let me know what your readings are? I have not picked up the needed probe to do this. Don't let the dash scare you. Not really that bad with the DIY available. Good luck

My Cars
    2001 735i M-sport
    I am getting ac water from under the car... Tonight it didn't work at all for a short journey, then after a 30 minute rest i started the car and put it on max. It stuttered for a bit, almost like the fans were trying to turn but couldn't quite get going... Then after about 1 minute worked fine all the way home!

To top it off, glove box handle doesn't open the glove box anymore! It doesn't rain often here in dubai, but when it does my god it pours!

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    Reach behind the glove box directly down from the handle. There is a cable there. Just pull it straight back and it will pop open the glove box.

Here is a thread on blower issues. It's a work in progress but may help you isolate the issue. My problem was the a/c would always work when I was at home with my tools and meter.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=2003822

My Cars
    2001 E38
    Update: The issue was my blower motor/resistor. I just changed both while I was in the dash and its blowing harder than ever. Definitely not a job I want to have to do again though.

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    Good work. Probably just saved yourself several hundred dollars in labor cost from a shop.

My Cars
    2001 735i M-sport
    I don't mean to tempt fate but my ac has worked perfectly since my last post... Which is just as well because temps are hitting near 50 Celsius here in dubai!!

Any one suggest what kind of problem would cause it start working again without problem? Electrical or mechanical?

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    Probably the resistor/fan getting hot. It sits just under the dash in the middle of the windshield. Mine would not work a few times each summer if it sat in the sun all day but always worked otherwise. Became more frequent this year so I replaced the blower motor and the resistor that sits on it. No issues since.