Thread: Winter work completed: Dinan sub-frame kit and more...

My Cars
    '02 M Coupe

Smile Winter work completed: Dinan sub-frame kit and more...

I did my rod bearings last winter, so this winter I had the shop install the Dinan sub-frame reinforcement kit. Yes, I had dialogue with Mr. Forbes and read all of the vast content on this, but ultimately I wanted the work done locally in Calgary and no one here does Randy's kit. The Dinan dealer (RCTS) in town has done a couple dozen of the Dinan kits so I went that route. I did not have any signs of failure so this was preventative.

Dinan sub-frame reinforcement kit. $400 parts from Dinan + 16 hours labor. Includes a bunch of extra welding to beef up BMW's welds, not just the kit install. They had to pull the interior out from the trunk all the way to the dash (dash did not get pulled).

Initial impression - the chassis feels like a new car. Much more solid over bumps and cornering.

I sell software for a living, therefore I can't answer any mechanical type questions any of you may have.

Since the entire interior was removed, I had them install Dynamat through the whole car. Lots of work cutting in all the pieces, but they did a fantastic job. Way less road noise now and I no longer hear the Eisenmann "drone". Well worth the money for this!

The rear divider behind the seats has always been incredibly squeaky. They determined this was a bad stereo install and the amps were loose. The shop built new brackets to hold it all down better. No more squeaks at all.

They also installed my Motion Motorsports underpanel.

I am now ready for spring. Driving down to O'Fest in August.

Bruce

2002 M Coupe (built 2-2-2)

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    Loving the Motion Motorsports under panel.....looks like it does a great job of smoothing incoming air underneath the car. And the fitment looks great as well. They should have a picture of it on their website installed on the car like you have as it definitely makes you appreciate it more. Adding it to my list of shiz to get....thx!! That in combination with the front slitter from Never Done will be a nice combination on our cars I'm thinking.

I can't wait to see how much of a difference the subframe reinforcement makes on my car...especially since I have a roady. Anyway, Keep up the good work!
    '98 Imola Red M Roadster, 155kmi, motor just regasketed and head redone, Conforti Air Intake and Shark Injector, Strong-strut F Tower brace, Butt-Strutt, and Frame-Rail Reinforcement, Bilstein shocks.......otherwise stock. Will be prepping car for probable, eventual LS3 conversion

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Those are certainly some of the best pictures of the Dinan installation that I've ever seen; looks like they did quite a job, but how did they do all that, including pulling/replacing the interior in sixteen (16) hours? I work pretty fast, but I don't think I'd get the entire interior (save for the facia) out/in within two (2) days.

Now granted, I can strip out the hatch in thirty (30) minutes, but even I take my time putting it all back in

I guess I need an installer somewhere in Alberta...

CHRIS: I've been trying to contact you, please get ahold of me
    Last edited by Randy Forbes; 04-13-2013 at 11:29 AM.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe, 02 Z3 2.5
    Awesome job Bruce. I just did the Dynamat thing in the hatch area. If I ever pull the front interior, I'll be doing the same there. Now I need to add the under panel on my to do list.

Randy, which Chris are you trying to get a hold of?
    1999 M Coupe Boston Green, Beige, H&R/Bilsteins, Underdrive Pulleys, Euro 6 speed, UUC SSK and Randy Forbes in the back
    2002 2.5 Z3 roadster Oxford Green, auto, all stock
    2013 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Dually 385 HP, 850 ft lbs torque at 1600 rpm, all stock and staying that way
    2004 Mini Cooper Chili Red, daily driver, modified almost daily

My Cars
    '02 M Coupe
    Randy Forbes: Those are certainly some of the best pictures of the Dinan installation that I've ever seen; looks like they did quite a job, but how did they do all that, including pulling/replacing the interior in sixteen (16) hours? I work pretty fast, but I don't think I'd get the entire interior (save for the facia) out/in within two (2) days.

Now granted, I can strip out the hatch in thirty (30) minutes, but even I take my time putting it all back in

-----------------------------------------

Dinan says 16 hours so the Dinan dealer has to charge 16 hours. My total bill was many more hours than that due to the Dynamat job, stereo work, some minor repairs, coolant flush, underpanel, etc so it likely all averaged out well.

2002 M Coupe (built 2-2-2)