Thread: 540i Luk flywheel & clutch from Amazon $555

My Cars
    '01 540i/6, '98 528i/5

540i Luk flywheel & clutch from Amazon $555

Just thought I'd share with the 540 owners about the Luk flywheel and clutch kit from Amazon. Bought them after much feedback about reusing flywheels. Decided to do it right as this will be for a 6 speed swap this spring and that's just one less thing to go wrong.

Both were shipped 2 day FedEx for free thanks to being an Amazon Prime member. Clutch kit was $180.33 and flywheel was $375.59.

BONUS, clutch came with "Clutch Accessory Kit #AK451" that I cannot find any info on. But I'm 95% sure it is the correct alignment tool, spline lube, and pilot bearing, so there's about $40 saved!

And the flywheel came with the bolts installed!

Better hurry up if you want this deal as there are only 4 clutch kits and 2 flywheels left as of this posting.
    6 spd swap, M5 diff, M5 steering box, B&G springs, G.A.S. Monoballs, M5 rear chasis braces, Eibach rear swaybar, EBC red brk pads, EBC slotted rear rotors,
    StopTech frt rotors, StopTech brk hoses, aFe CAI, 4" MAF, M60 Manifold, N62 Throttle Body, DUDMD Stg 2+ w/ SAP & EWS Deletes,
    muffler delete w/ Magnaflow tips, 18x8/9 style 69, BMW lip spoiler, Hella G4 projectors, & 1.4 bar coolant cap.

My Cars
    '02 540i
    That is about what I paid about 3 years ago from Sachs iirc. Whether you buy from Sachs or LUK, it will be Luk pieces and the box will say LUK on it unless I have it bass ackwards. I think this is a great price-just saying what some people are being quoted is ridiculous and you can buy close to that, if not a hair less, buying direct any day of the week. I would never do a disc without buying the new flywheel, doing rear main while I'm in there, and the 5 buck plastic pivot pin besides the other obvious stuff.
    Old, contrary, and out-of-touch,
    but still learning sumpin' every day
    NOTORIOUSLY long-winded :-(

My Cars
    15 328xi
    That's an excellent deal. Last time I priced a DMF, it was $600 alone.
    Sport | M5 Headlights | M5 Style Front | Intake Resonator delete | H&R/Bilstein | Euro Armrest | M5 Rear Sway | Thule | 3-Pedals | Fully Maintained | 190K Daily Driven

My Cars
    '98 528i 98k 5-SPP
    Quote Originally Posted by m5hoot View Post
    I would never do a disc without buying the new flywheel, doing rear main while I'm in there, and the 5 buck plastic pivot pin besides the other obvious stuff.
    I'll provide the list of that so called obvious stuff, b/c it's not all that obvious if you haven't been a bmw DIY owner for any length of time. Once the trans is out, you then replace the two detent shaft bushings b/c these have a track record of premature wear. Then you replace the shift shaft seal at the back end of the trans b/c it's a $10 seal and it's easy to replace when the trans is out. Then just go ahead and throw away your flex disc (Guibo or Jurid) and get a new one in there. It's good insurance and the part is only $30. WHile the old flex disc is removed from the output flange, go ahead and unbolt the large nut, get a gear puller against the output flange, and take out the flange so you can replace the output oil seal. Then reinstall the output flange, and then torque down the center lock nut. Then replace the trans input spline seal. This will be tricky to do w/o a long handle seal puller, but just go ahead and destroy the old seal and the puller is not needed.

W/ driveshaft removed, take it to the bench and separate the driveshaft and put a new center bearing in there.
    Mark the two shafts so you can put them back together like before and not mess up the balancing of the two parts. Then replace all those quarter size bushings that construct the shift linkage, and you may as well replace your stock shift arm w/ another shorter throw shift lever off the z4 or e60 550 as these come with a new rotating ball & cup or go large w the UUC all metal racing shifter. That's the "obvious" stuff that I can think of off the top of my head. And if you don't do these items when the trans is laying on ground, that'd be a lost opportunity there.

- - - Updated - - -

oh...and one more thing...I'd also get a new clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder in there too while it's unobstructed and just wide open to be serviced. So easy to do w/ the trans out of the car.

My Cars
    00 M5 / 99 540i
    Nice write up. I'll reference that when having my clutch serviced this summer
    2000 Silverstone/Silverstone M5 1/34

My Cars
    1997 540i6, 2009 135i
    Great price!

o 1997 540i6 o Dinan supercharger system o Dinan stage 3 suspension system o Dinan wheels o UUC EVO3 SSK/DSSR o SS Headers o M-Tech illuminated shifter o M5 3.62 LSD o Cubic trim o Gauge rings o OEM In-dash CD o Ultimate pedals o Hella AE's o M-Sport Steering Wheel o 400 RWHP o A/W intercooler o Killer Chiller

My Cars
    1998 540i/6 M62 4.4L V8
    Just pulled the trigger here. I was in the market and I guess this is the best deal I'll get.

Btw thanks to the guy above for the info/list... Looks like I'll be riding my bike for a few days while I get all this done. Haha. 172k on the clock.

I know this is asking a lot but realoem part numbers would be nice for all those seals and gaskets. If I have time I'll try to look em up and post them here but no guarantees they will be right. :/

My Cars
    1998 540i/6 M62 4.4L V8
    Quote Originally Posted by DHoang View Post
    the z4 or e60 550 as these come with a new rotating ball & cup or go large w the UUC all metal racing shifter.
    What's the difference between the z4 and m60 kit. The uuc one? I don't want to ruin my transmission but I definitely feel there is room to make it tighter....erm shorter.

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Cracker, got your PM. See post #9 for the info you were looking for. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...86#post7454786

My Cars
    '01 540i/6, '98 528i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    Cracker, got your PM. See post #9 for the info you were looking for. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...86#post7454786
    Thanks Jim! I'm going to have one of the mechanics at work get this Snap-On socket for under $10. I'll grind it down per your pic on Roadfly, which btw was an AWESOME thread!
    6 spd swap, M5 diff, M5 steering box, B&G springs, G.A.S. Monoballs, M5 rear chasis braces, Eibach rear swaybar, EBC red brk pads, EBC slotted rear rotors,
    StopTech frt rotors, StopTech brk hoses, aFe CAI, 4" MAF, M60 Manifold, N62 Throttle Body, DUDMD Stg 2+ w/ SAP & EWS Deletes,
    muffler delete w/ Magnaflow tips, 18x8/9 style 69, BMW lip spoiler, Hella G4 projectors, & 1.4 bar coolant cap.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 540i/6
    Flywheels already gone up $50

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
    Thanks Jim! I'm going to have one of the mechanics at work get this Snap-On socket for under $10. I'll grind it down per your pic on Roadfly, which btw was an AWESOME thread!
    I'm surprised you found that 2008 Roadfly post.
    When you pull the tranny be aware that it weighs 105lbs. Without a tranny jack it will be difficult to align the pilot shaft to the clutch and pilot bearing.

My Cars
    '01 540i/6, '98 528i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    I'm surprised you found that 2008 Roadfly post.
    When you pull the tranny be aware that it weighs 105lbs. Without a tranny jack it will be difficult to align the pilot shaft to the clutch and pilot bearing.
    Wow, that trans didn't feel that heavy when I carried it to the shed this fall. I have 3 helpers for Memorial Day weekend when the swap along with M5 diff. One I helped in June do an auto to 5 spd in an e46 325ti, another is an E39 M5 owner(Inverno/Preston) that wants to help out, and the unconfirmed 3rd is Schitzo.

My Cars
    97, 99, 540i, 87GN
    Graet find, will be ordering today, and thanks for what else to do while i'm down there.

My Cars
    2001 740IL,2000 540I/6
    It's a good idea to replace the plastic pivot pin(as mentioned above) with a steel one, forgot who sells it.

My Cars
    97, 99, 540i, 87GN
    Ordered 594.00 now but still cheapest I could find.