Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SENSEN shocks

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage42 View Post
    I just don't see how shocks themselves (and new shocks, at that) can introduce such pogo stick bouncing and oscillations when starting off at low speed on smooth pavement. But tires could.

When I first got my Z3 it had a faint thumpiness and wiggling at low speed on smooth pavement, which at high speed became a harsh feel in the suspension and steering. I thought it had to be from the old original tires, which might have a wear pattern or a bad ply. With new tires, the car became smooth at high speed. And that was with the old Sachs, before I put the new KYBs on front and Sensens on rear. Could tires be your problem?
    It looks like we'll know by the end of this coming week... but my guess is that the shocks are not the cause of the thumping, merely complicitous in this saga.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dak911 View Post
    Would not using new upper mounts, the old parts seemed fine, make the shocks feel like they are "thumping" on small bumps...like the reflectors on the lane markings?
    Z3 is a 96 with 133,000 miles, just changed to SENSEN front and rear
    Given the minimal cost and the fact that one has to take the old ones off while swapping shocks anyway, using new mounts is simply the best policy... but if the old ones were truly ok, then correct, there should be no problems reusing them. But likewise, given those mount's history of disintegrating - even what appear to be perfectly serviceable ones - best to put new mounts in. [On one of our Arizona road-trips we had to live with a broken mount for 2500 miles of the trip - definitely a PITA and subtracted from the fun factor for the trip... all because the PO decided that the original ones were still "usable".]

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    I remember that my old Sachs did let the rear end squat a little on a fast take off. Some people don't like that, as a sign of weak shocks that have other handling problems.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    I remember that my old Sachs did let the rear end squat a little on a fast take off. Some people don't like that, as a sign of weak shocks that have other handling problems.
    That was one of the pleasant surprises when I swapped out the old tired Sachs for the KYBs... I had assumed that E30 bimmers all squatted on acceleration... only to discover that it was only ones with tired shocks that did such, ie, lost 90-95% of the squat with the KYBs. :-)

My Cars
    2001 Z3, 1995 318ti
    The new shocks arrived a day early. I put them on and could feel a big difference even installing them. The ti has a lot of room to work so you don't even need a jack to install rear shocks. When I had put the Sensens on it was a real struggle to compress them enough to get the bottom bolt mounted; even harder than the Bilstein HD's. With the new Sachs shocks it was very easy. So I am convinced that the Sensens were just too stiff for this particular car. Sachs has a different part number for the ti, and separate shocks for sport and non-sport suspension. I think the Sensens were one size fits all for E36 rears.

The car drives fine now, no more pogo stick feeling, just a stock OEM kind of feel, which is fine for this car and its uses.

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    Hmm, lowest cost Chinese shocks. Enough said.

My Cars
    02 e367, 08 Acura TL-S
    The Sensens are most definitely one-size fits all where ever possible. The front struts are larger in diameter than the stock struts. The only reason to do this is b/c it would be used on multiple cars. I'm glad you figured out the problem and like the new ones.

-Todd

My Cars
    1994 E36 325ic
    thanks guys! I know what im getting soon

My Cars
    96 Z3/ 04 325/ 11 X328
    Putting Chinese suspension parts on a BMW; as opposed to, German parts is like putting high heels on an Olympic runner.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by KillerSE7EN View Post
    Putting Chinese suspension parts on a BMW; as opposed to, German parts is like putting high heels on an Olympic runner.
    Sensen makes OEM struts and shocks for several car manufacturers worldwide, and also the General Motors cars made in China. The internal specs and quality are as good as Tenneco (Monroe), Sachs and KYB.
    http://www.sensen-na.com
    http://www.sensen-na.com/product-technical-information/
    It is true that my iPhone 5 and my Sensen shocks were made in China. I am extremely pleased with the ride of the new Sensen shocks on my Z3. They feel just like the new KYB struts.
    Last edited by Vintage42; 04-10-2013 at 05:27 PM.

My Cars
    06 X5, 06 911, 01 Z3
    I think that the SENSENs are just stiffer than I thought they would be, also I have been told that my rear tires are very stiff walled, so perhaps that is "my" problem, because the car handles very well
    BMWCCA # 12660 (got my 35 year pin in the mail)
    PCA 30 Years..........
    X5 06 3.0 Saphire Black/Tan-- Ours
    Z 3 01 2.5/5 Topaz/Tan (was 96 Silver)-- Mine
    911 (997S) 06 Cab/Tip Guards/Black -- Hers/Ours?

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    As long as the rear end does not "bottom out or thud" as previously described, buyers should not be turned off by the ride. The first Z3 that I test drove was a high-powered M with a clunk in the rear end going over bumps. I now realize it must have had bad shock mounts. My 1.9 with the Sensen shocks is solid and and quiet back there.

My Cars
    96 Z3/ 04 325/ 11 X328
    As long as the rear end does not "bottom out or thud" as previously described, buyers should not be turned off by the ride. The first Z3 that I test drove was a high-powered M with a clunk in the rear end going over bumps. I now realize it must have had bad shock mounts. My 1.9 with the Sensen shocks is solid and and quiet back there.
    this was most likely from the sub frame welds that go bad on all the m cars.

WARNING MY OPINION:
    I don't condone using anything other than a German suspension set-up as they have proven themselves to me as the leaders in handling *Cough cough* @ BMW and my stock KYB... lol
    Last edited by KillerSE7EN; 04-11-2013 at 10:15 AM.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    ... I don't condone using anything other than a German suspension set-up as they have proven themselves to me as the leaders in handling...
    Condone means allow or accept, pretty restrictive. And suspension set-up includes a lot of handling parts that are better from the aftermarket than the OE German BMW parts. I think you are saying that you would accept only German struts and shocks. Those would be Sachs (OE) and Bilstein (upgrade).

But many people would also accept Koni as an upgrade (Netherlands), and KYB as OE (Japan, Mexico and Germany), or Tenneco as OE (SensaTracs made in Mexico, Brazil and Portugal; sold by Monroe, NAPA and Sears). The new KYBs on my front feel no different than the new Sensens on my rear. As OE replacements, I think the Chinese Sensens will become more popular.

A Chinese competitor of Sensen, Zhejiang Fuerde, already makes OE shocks for Buick, Mitzubishi,, Kia, Mazda,Nissan, and Toyota factories in China.

My Cars
    1996 BMW Z3 Roadster
    Last week I replaced the original shocks and struts on my 96 Z3 (160,000 miles) with Bilstein Tourings. I replaced the front and rear mounts with Sachs mounts. A month earlier I'd replaced front control arms tie rods and links. The car feels soooo much better, wish that I'd done this 50,000 miles ago. The suspension upgrade makes the 1.9 feel like enough power for the car (almost).

I paid $310 for all four corners and haven't regretted spending the extra hundred bucks for a second. I was a little surprised about the expense of all of the extras, boots, bumper stops, mounts, spring pads, gaskets, etc. but it seemed like the thing to do.
    Time Wounds All Heels...

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by MSHOFFNER View Post
    ... replaced the original shocks and struts on my 96 Z3 (160,000 miles) with Bilstein Tourings... replaced the front and rear mounts with Sachs mounts... paid $310 for all four corners...
    So that is $310 for four Bilstein Touring struts/shocks and four Sachs front and rear upper bearings and mounts. You did very well.

- - - Updated - - -

this was most likely from the sub frame welds that go bad on all the m cars...
    On the m cars, would rattles from the rear end on road bumps more likely be from bad upper shock mounts, or from bad sub frame welds.? I did not think the sub frame made any noise, and I thought that its broken welds had to be found by inspection.

My Cars
    1994 E36 325ic
    I will use the OEM z3 mounts my self. Anyone got a link for these sensen shocks? Im looking on ebay, but none of em are made for a convertable. LAME!
    I sweare they should fit, but... Ive contacted a few sellers too and they say NO FIT.

- - - Updated - - -

NO offence, or pun intended all n good fun, but......

are you gay?

Most of those women are in really great shape and have very nice looking parts, including the legs!

Just saying an olympic runner (female) would look pretty good in heals

- - - Updated - - -

Sensen makes OEM struts and shocks for several car manufacturers worldwide, and also the General Motors cars made in China. The internal specs and quality are as good as Tenneco (Monroe), Sachs and KYB.
    http://www.sensen-na.com
    http://www.sensen-na.com/product-technical-information/
    It is true that my iPhone 5 and my Sensen shocks were made in China. I am extremely pleased with the ride of the new Sensen shocks on my Z3. They feel just like the new KYB struts.
    Thats how I feel. I hate to say it (being a proud american) but America had it's time of "post-industrial revolution" Great things were born, cars, the empire state building, to name a few. China Is a growing country and Im positive there are many intelligent men working with pride over there. As there were (and still are) in america.
    I do feel these are not as good as the 1500$ racing set, but at 10% of the cost why not. Even at 50% the cost of the blistens, why not. Germany makes just as much shitty stuff as anyone else. Look at the door panels on these stupid cars! Or the vanos wtf! Don't forget the shitty ass bushings they used in the first place, and those are suspension parts. Did they do this so you will come to them for replacement? Um probably! So I love my BMW but they don't always have the best interest of the consumer at hand.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    ;-) ON

Then KYBs are the correct (low cost) answer: they are made in Germany.

;-) OFF

My Cars
    02 e367, 08 Acura TL-S
    Quote Originally Posted by gmushial View Post

Then KYBs are the correct (low cost) answer: they are made in Germany.

;-) OFF
    Seriously. +10000
    I can't believe you're considering Sensens based on the responses on this forum -- you're going to save approximately $20 over KYBs that are much more highly regarded and have far better reviews. I don't care where they're manufactured.

This past weekend I installed a set of KYBs on a friends car. I had installed Sensens a few months ago on a different friends car. I will certainly reccommend the KYBs in the future. Not only was the construction better, everything fit the first time -- no need to order a set of spacers to use a previously fitting aftermarket wheel.

-Todd

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by lokijibber View Post
    ... I can't believe you're considering Sensens based on the responses on this forum -- you're going to save approximately $20 over KYBs that are much more highly regarded and have far better reviews. ...
    My set of four Sensens was $150 online with free shipping, which is a big savings over KYB.

On this forum, I see no complaints about Z3 Sensen struts except mine. They had a mount problem and hopefully have all have been recalled.

I do see a complaint about Sensen shocks banging and bottoming out, but that person apparently re-used rear mounts with 132,000 miles on them, and perhaps they unbonded internally under the stress of new shocks.

Again, I removed old Sachs, and installed new Sensens and then KYBs. The Sensens had the highest quality finish of all, and felt as firm to the hand as the KYBs. I never got to try the Sensen struts on the road, but the Sensen shocks in back feel great, just like the KYB struts in front. They are equal except in cost.

My Cars
    06 X5, 06 911, 01 Z3
    MY problem with the SENSENS is that I think they are too STIFF for the car...the only time I notice it is at low speed on "sharp" bumps
    BUT I do not have any thing to compare them to, the old ones were shot.....
    PCA 30 Years..........

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by dak911 View Post
    MY problem with the SENSENS is that I think they are too STIFF for the car...
    Some people say that about a set of Bilsteins that cost five times as much.

"The general consensus on bilstiens is that they are too stiff for the e36 chasis."
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5858849&postcount=4

"Yes, I agree. It really is not an enjoyable ride. I've been in both an e36 328i and an e36 m3 with bilsteins, and it is too harsh for a daily driver. I can see why you would want that kind of stiffness on the track, but for the bumpy pavement of my city it's very unpleasant."
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5858860&postcount=5

"I just want a cushier ride, and that is definitely NOT what you get from a pair of Bilsteins."
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5858926&postcount=7

My Cars
    02 X5 4.4 - 02 740i Spor
    The only reason I chose Sensens over KYB's is because I eventually want to lower the car but could not afford that yet. Neither of them are recommended for lowering. So I chose Sensens as a temporary solution. That being said, I am happier with them than I thought I would be.

They have definitely made me faster than a redneck!

(OO\-(///)X(\\\)-/OO)

02 X5 4.4 - 01 740i Sport - 98 328i

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmanride View Post
    ... I chose Sensens over KYB's is because I eventually want to lower the car but could not afford that yet. Neither of them are recommended for lowering. So I chose Sensens as a temporary solution. That being said, I am happier with them than I thought I would be.
    The Sensen vendor says they quarantined their whole inventory of Z3 left struts, took back strut sets and gave refunds. They contacted the factory which corrected the misalignment of mounting tabs. And they are aware that the bad mounts hurt Sensen's reputation in the Z3 forums, and so they would like to hear more good reviews of Sensens on Z3s.

After the vendor took back and refunded my Sensen struts, I put on KYB struts. The vendor recently offered me a set of new Sensen struts to go with my Sensen shocks, so I could evaluate a complete set of Sensens. I said there was no incentive for me to give up all the money and labor I had put into the KYBs, for Sensen struts that would at best be equal.

So the vendor would now like to offer one complete set of Sensen struts and shocks to one forum member who will evaluate them on their Z3 and post a review. They think most people will be happy with Sensens. If anyone needs new struts and shocks, and will review them, PM me and I will pass it on to the vendor.
    Last edited by Vintage42; 04-20-2013 at 07:56 AM.

My Cars
    06 X5, 06 911, 01 Z3
    MY problem is that I find the SENSEN rears too STIFF for the Z3, I read somewhere that they use the same ones on other BMW's which are probably heavier.
    Is that true, I am thinking to take the SENSENS out and try something else.
    PCA 30 Years..........

My Cars
    02 X5 4.4 - 02 740i Spor
    So the vendor would now like to offer one complete set of Sensen struts and shocks to one forum member who will evaluate them on their Z3 and post a review. They think most people will be happy with Sensens. If anyone needs new struts and shocks, and will review them, PM me and I will pass it on to the vendor.
    Wow, that is impressive! I wish they would do that for my 5, I would gladly take them up on it.

(OO\-(///)X(\\\)-/OO)

02 X5 4.4 - 01 740i Sport - 98 328i

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast