Thread: e36 Review: 328i (sport package) compared to m3 (long)

My Cars
    85 Baur, 98 328i, 98 m3

e36 Review: 328i (sport package) compared to m3 (long)

Hi all,

Since for the past year i've owned, driven and worked on both a 98' e36 m3 (owned for 3 years) and a 98' 328i with sport package, I thought some might be interested in a comparison between the two. Both cars were built in early 1998 (January-328i, March-M3), are manual transmission, have cold weather package, HK sound, are at around 110k miles, bone stock performance wise and are in excellent mechanical condition. The m3 is a coupe with fold down rear seats and manual vaders, while the 328i is a sedan with non-folding rear seats and power sport seats upfront.

Unsurprisingly, the m3 is the more engaging and purer car overall, with almost as much sensation and feeling as my e30 (1989 325i). All of the controls (clutch, gear shift, steering) seem more heavily weighted and mechanical in nature. It seems like I can feel the shift gates and the mechanical action of the gears meshing together while shifting the m3, but the 328i shifter feels much smoother - almost slightly rubbery (According to the 3 series enthusiast companion, the m3 has a ZF-50 gearbox, while the 328i has a ZG Type C. Both have nearly identical ratios and are filled with redline MTL). The m3's steering is more direct and transmits more roadfeel and grip than the 328i and the clutch is substantially heavier.

Driving wise, the m3 obviously pulls harder when you put your foot into it, but around town I don't sense a noticeable difference. In fact, when I flew out to pick up my e36 m3 after driving a 328is for a year and a half I didn't even think the ///m was that much quicker. What is instantly noticeable is the roadfeel and engine notes. The m3 seems to transmit every road imperfection to my seat and steering wheel while the 328i filters more out. Probably the biggest drawback to the 328i is the subdued exhaust note. In the m3, you can hear the stock exhaust as a faint growl anywhere above 2k rpm that begins to roar as you push into the upper end of the tachometer. The sound is never obtrusive or ricer and the car seems to be begging to always be driven harder! The 328i is quite the opposite and seems to prefer that you not hear the exhaust at all - much engine noise doesn't penetrate the cabin until you break 4k rpm and even it is fairly tame.

Both cars handle extremely well, but the m3 inspires more confidence thanks to improved feedback, larger tires and a limited slip differential. I'll take a corner hard in the 328i and although it's planted I get wary of testing the limits as its harder to feel how much traction I have left. I've also noted that the traction control on the m3 isn't nearly as eager to kick in and spoil your fun and when it does activate it does so more subtly.

So, for tearing up canyons and mountain passes I clearly prefer the m3 as it is the faster and more engaging car to drive. So why did I buy another 328i? Comfort and practicality.

For long road trips on the freeway and driving around my small town, the 328i is the preferred vehicle. It rides smoother and more quietly (probably thanks to the higher profile tires (50 vs 40/45) ) and has more comfortable sport seats, which is import because my wife falls asleep for most of the trip and is pretty cranky when awakened . As an added plus it also gets 2-3 higher mpg on the freeway. Around town I prefer the 328i since it draws less attention that my Dakar m3, isn't as prone to scraping and destroying expensive plastic bits under the front air dam and requires less effort to drive. Call me lazy, but I prefer the light clutch and steering when maneuvering around the Wal-Mart parking lot!

As far as reliability is concerned, I haven't had any major mechanical problems with either, but this is more a function of how well the car was taken care off. I follow Mike Miller's lifetime maintenance schedule and routine parts for both cars are nearly identical, although oil filters and OEM control arms for the ///m are almost twice as much.

Overall, both are great cars, but the ///m is more raw feeling and is much more reminiscent of the fabled e30 than the 328i. The 328i remind me more off my wife's 330Ci in terms of road manners: they are sedans with sporty intentions compared to sports cars that can be used as a sedan. Which one you pick is really a matter of your priorities and budget (The ///m cost almost twice as much my 328i), although a 4dr e36 m3 or e46 ZHP make for pretty tempting compromises .

Hopefully some will find this interesting.

Best,

Rob

My Cars
    02 530i 05 156SW 05 166
    Lucky to have them both, good write up.

My Cars
    e36 - 1998 323is
    Thanks!

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325xi
    I have an e36 323is with the sports package. No engine problems. The car is in excellent working and astetic condition. I am considering installing an e36 328is engine in it. Cost $2000.00 installed. Do you think this is a worthwhile upgrade? Will there be any meaningful performance difference? Your thoughts please.
    323is....168 hp @ 5.5k. Rpm. 181 ft/lbs torque @ 3950 rpm
    328i.......192 hp @ 5.3k rpm. 206 ft/lbs torque @ 3950 rpm.