Thread: Well, ripped out my RTAB pocket. Any advice? Pics inside.

My Cars
    1998 M3/2

Exclamation Well, ripped out my RTAB pocket. Any advice? Pics inside.

Here's my story in case it saves someone else some money: I started noticing some squeaking a few weeks ago over uneven pavement and wrongly assumed it was just my RSM's making some noise, considering how notorious they are for doing so. I inspected them pretty thoroughly, removed them and made sure they were structurally sound, reinstalled them. Thought the sound went away, but it came back soon after. I begun to suspect it was an RTAB and decided to order new ones soon. I looked under the car briefly and nothing seemed obviously wrong. I'm also in medical school and have very little time.

A few days ago I began to hear a minor clunking noise. I looked more closely and was able to see a hairline crack on the most rear bolt hole on the left. I immediately ordered new RTAB carriers and RTABs, but it was too late. Got to work yesterday and made the gruesome discovery you see below.

rtab1.jpgrtab2.jpg

My plan is to take it to a body shop in Alhambra that I saw recommended on M3forum.net. I also will be ordering AKG reinforcements to have them weld in.

1. Does anyone have any other recommendations for shops in the Pasadena area?
    2. Any other reinforcements that can be conveniently welded in at the same time without adding much extra labor costs (i.e. not subframe since that's a lot of work)?

Thanks!
    M50 * Bilstein PSS9 * UUC Sway's * PFlex LCABs/RTABs * TMS Delrin/Alum Diff Bushings * X-Brace * Stoptech SS Brake lines * CDV delete * DEPO with 55W 5000K HID's * 35W 5000K HID fogs
    Stock dyno: 201.7rwhp SAE corrected

My Cars
    My E36 supercar
    While I'm sorry this happened to you this isn't something you didn't already know about. I don't think this will help anyone. People do whatever they want. Most think it won't happen to me.

My Cars
    95 M3, 2012 civic
    Incoming solution... uploading pictures now...
    99Mpower just fixed mine this weekened.
    The bolts in them sheared off.
    So he cut out the old and welded in new

My Cars
    95 M3, 2012 civic
    We had to find new bungs, since mine were rusted and siezed

He then cut out my old bungs, and welded new ones in

Then came the akg reinforcement plates! His fabrication is amazing.

I'd send him a message he live out in la mesa
    99Mpower, he'll probably chime in later

My Cars
    E92 335i xDrive, E36 M3
    Hey its kyle. Did you end up finishing up last night?

My Cars
    95 M3, 2012 civic
    Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet21 View Post
    Hey its kyle. Did you end up finishing up last night?
    Yes we did! Got done right before two

My Cars
    1998 M3/2
    Quote Originally Posted by E36forever View Post
    While I'm sorry this happened to you this isn't something you didn't already know about. I don't think this will help anyone. People do whatever they want. Most think it won't happen to me.
    Was I asking for sympathy? No. Not everyone is aware of this issue, I'm simply relating my story in case others are interested or so that it may serve as further warning to this weak point in our vehicles. I carry an incredibly busy schedule, but recognize I should have inspected more carefully earlier on. I'm not asking for a lecture, and I was aware that this was a weak point in our cars before this happened to me (notice I've been on these forums since 2005). If you have recommendations for shops or further reinforcements, let me know.
    M50 * Bilstein PSS9 * UUC Sway's * PFlex LCABs/RTABs * TMS Delrin/Alum Diff Bushings * X-Brace * Stoptech SS Brake lines * CDV delete * DEPO with 55W 5000K HID's * 35W 5000K HID fogs

My Cars
    1998 M3/2
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbarnum View Post
    We had to find new bungs, since mine were rusted and siezed

He then cut out my old bungs, and welded new ones in

Then came the akg reinforcement plates! His fabrication is amazing.

I'd send him a message he live out in la mesa
    99Mpower, he'll probably chime in later
    Thanks for the reply and pictures. Looks like he did a great job. I'll send him a message, but I'm not sure I'm comfortable driving the car with only two good bungs on the left side all the way to La Mesa, and I have class every day for the next two weeks. Funny thing is, I think I was planning to have him (saw him offer in another thread) weld in the reinforcement plates for me over spring break to avoid this exact problem, but I was too late.

My Cars
    E36, E46
    Definitely talk to Calvin, he's the guy to fix this. He's the best deal in town and does it correctly without question. The car should be able make it to La Mesa. He fixed mine which was torn (likely that way for awhile too as I began to hear the same clunk occasionally). It wasn't ripped out like yours was but it was about halfway, so another spirited drive likely would have yanked it out.

It is a heads-up for everyone. Once your RTAB's are worn, this is a slippery slope that happens quickly. Mine was a bone stock 100k mi car, never tracked... this can/will happen to any E36.
    Last edited by jvit27; 03-10-2013 at 09:20 PM.
    '99 Estoril Blue + Dove Grey ///M3 coupe
    '04 Jet Black + Cinnamon ///
    M3 coupe

My Cars
    1998 M3/2
    Quote Originally Posted by jvit27 View Post
    Definitely talk to Calvin, he's the guy to fix this. He's the best deal in town and does it correctly without question. The car should be able make it to La Mesa. He fixed mine which was torn (likely that way for awhile too as I began to hear the same clunk occasionally). It wasn't ripped out like yours was but it was about halfway, so another spirited drive likely would have yanked it out.

It is a heads-up for everyone. Once your RTAB's are worn, this is a slippery slope that happens quickly. Mine was a bone stock 100k mi car, never tracked... this can/will happen to any E36.
    Thanks for the advice, I have sent Calvin (assuming that's 99Mpower) a PM. I had PFlex RTABs in there (they had about 70K miles on them now that I look at my repair log.. honestly didn't realize I replaced them so long ago!), and after pulling it apart it turns out the left RTAB had a tear in the polyurethane. I think that tear combined with running PSS9's led to the failure. I have replaced the RTABs with TCKline delrin.

My Cars
    E36, E46
    Pflex suck. I had their FCAB's on my E46 and one tore after 1k miles of use. Not to mention poly RTAB's are worthless on the street. OE+limiters is the way to go..

PSS9's, UUC sways, canyon runs, gun control debates, Nicki Minaj.... they probably all contributed to some degree accelerating the problem X percentage, but this is an age issue now. Like the cooling systems, this is just a caveat to owning these cars. It has been documented under so many varying circumstances that we all just need to accept the inevitability and take the steps necessary to prevent it from happening. Sucks to spend the extra coin but if you love your E36, take care of it. The good news is these solutions eliminate the possibility of it ever happening again, so preventative maintenance makes these cars even more reliable.

(btw yes, Calvin is 99Mpower)
    '99 Estoril Blue + Dove Grey ///M3 coupe
    '04 Jet Black + Cinnamon ///
    M3 coupe

My Cars
    99 M3 / 95 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbarnum View Post
    Incoming solution... uploading pictures now...
    99Mpower just fixed mine this weekened.
    The bolts in them sheared off.
    So he cut out the old and welded in new
    That was your car?!?!??!
    -Chris

My Cars
    1998 M3/2
    Quote Originally Posted by jvit27 View Post
    Pflex suck. I had their FCAB's on my E46 and one tore after 1k miles of use. Not to mention poly RTAB's are worthless on the street. OE+limiters is the way to go..

PSS9's, UUC sways, canyon runs, gun control debates, Nicki Minaj.... they probably all contributed to some degree accelerating the problem X percentage, but this is an age issue now. Like the cooling systems, this is just a caveat to owning these cars. It has been documented under so many varying circumstances that we all just need to accept the inevitability and take the steps necessary to prevent it from happening. Sucks to spend the extra coin but if you love your E36, take care of it. The good news is these solutions eliminate the possibility of it ever happening again, so preventative maintenance makes these cars even more reliable.

(btw yes, Calvin is 99Mpower)
    Yea, I know I won't be able to use them on the street. I mainly installed the PFlex a few years ago because I didn't have a press at the time. I'm installing delrin now because I enjoy the feeling of a very tight suspension, even if I'm just driving it back and forth to school. I try to maintain my car well, and hope to never sell it, but I am still in med school so can't afford as much preventative maintenance as would be ideal (ironically, the school will pay for major repairs like this, but not preventative ones... sounds like our healthcare system haha).

I'll be ordering new FCABs as well (have PFlex there too).

My Cars
    99 M3, 01 F350
    "Torque is like cowbell... you can never have too much." - Michael Cervi

My Cars
    95 M3, 2012 civic
    Quote Originally Posted by ThreeD View Post

That was your car?!?!??!
    Yes.... :

My Cars
    1998 M3/2
    Quote Originally Posted by 99MPower View Post
    Sent you a PM. Hoping to get this taken care of soon.

My Cars
    99 M3, 01 F350
    Quote Originally Posted by erobinson View Post
    Sent you a PM. Hoping to get this taken care of soon.
    got it... been a long day, will definitely get a hold of you tomorrow.. thanks for the message

My Cars
    1998 M3/2
    Sounds good, thanks. I'll notice e-mail quickest, it should be in my profile.

My Cars
    1997 M3
    Oh god. Finally realized the first pic was the donor car for the bungs. Still absolutely terrifying to look at.

1997 M3 (SOLD) :o 2000 528i Sport (SOLD)

My Cars
    99 M3, 01 F350
    Quote Originally Posted by EricP View Post
    Oh god. Finally realized the first pic was the donor car for the bungs. Still absolutely terrifying to look at.
    hahaha yeah.... Aaron's didnt rip out, all 3 bolts sheered off inside the sleeve. So rusted/seized, nothing I did worked...

Had to cut out entire sleeve, and weld in new ones. Went to the junkyard and went crazy on some POS e36 convertible. I just wanted the 3 bungs/sleeves