Thread: Lemon Squad inspection service review

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3/4/5

Lemon Squad inspection service review

Long-time lurker, first time poster. Hopefully this review will provide useful to others in the same boat.

Short Version: Lemon Squad inspection services = impressed.

Long Version:

After too long of owning “practical” cars, I’m ready to own a “real” car, and am looking to join the ranks as a BMW owner. (Not that BMW’s aren’t practical, but not in a Dodge Omni kind of way.) I spotted an E36 M3/4/5, which was conveniently located 1,000 miles away (I live in Nowhere, USA, where the selection is limited). I had scoured the forums on info and advice on various years, models, and trims, but had a hard time finding advice on buying long distance. Some say a BMW dealer Pre-Purchase Inspection (PPI) is a must, while others say it’s only a basic checklist (if you can find a dealer that will still do them at all). Some say you must fly out and drive it, while others say they’ve bought many sight-unseen.

Then I stumbled upon a possible alternative: mobile vehicle inspection services, they’re called. After reviewing several competitors, I finally decided to go with LemonSquad (no affiliation by the way). For $150 they offer inspection, photos, test drives (as most of their competitors do), but
    I chose them for one reason: their one line in their checklist that said “Address any additional areas of concern that you identify”.

Now one of my concerns with a dealer PPI is that they might not know or look for all of the common problem areas that are well known by enthusiasts. So what did I do? Thought why not, and listed every single one I could gleam from the forums:

-Radiator, expansion tank, and hoses: cracks, breakage, leaks, evidence of damage or replacement.
    -Water pump: evidence of leaks, damage, previous replacement, etc.
    -Tie rods/Tie rod ends: ball joint condition.
    -Mechanical fan and clutch: does not freely spin, any cracked or missing blades.
    -Transmission, rubber flex disk that couples shaft: cracks around bolt holes.
    -Rear shock mounts: rubber condition, tower stress cracks, evidence of damage, etc.
    -Rear Trailing arm bushings: condition.
    -Motor, tranny, rear diff: condition of mounts, any leaks.
    -Power steering system: leaks.
    -Test drive: any clicking noises from engine, acceleration preceded with a loud clunk.

So I submit my order online on a Thursday. Got an email on Friday stating my inspection was set for that day. Great! [said with smile] Got an email Saturday that it was RE-scheduled for that day. Great. [said with frown]

Just as I was starting to wonder if this was all a bad idea, I read the reasoning. They had performed their standard inspection on Friday, and were going back a second day to address the specific concerns! They even called moments later to explain the delay. They did say my list of specifics was a little more than they’re used to, but that they would take care of me. For. The. Win. You have now exceeded all expectations even before the report.

So I get my report Saturday night. Appears very thorough, with each of my concerns also addressed (in looking at the report, it appears some would’ve been addressed anyways). Very detailed, with supporting info on any issues found, good pics (84!), and a good summary. They have sample reports on their site, but I’ve included the link to mine also if interested (I think it’ll stay up for 60 days):

lemonsquad[dot]com/viewinspection.php?id=15798

Your mileage might vary, but even though I didn’t do with this car, I’m EXTREMELY impressed with Lemon Squad's services. Might go this route for every vehicle I’m seriously considering, long distance or not.

My Cars
    Z3
    Your first post is promoting your inspection service? Total spam.
    Last edited by E37; 02-17-2013 at 08:41 AM.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i
    Spam - maybe

But maybe deserves a good look ?
    2001 BMW 530i e39 / Automatic / Orient on Dove

My Cars
    1997 328i convertible
    He has not yet bought a BMW, so until now he had no reason to post.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3/4/5
    Thanks for the warm welcome!

Seriously though, no ties at all, paid full price, yada yada yada. This might have even turned out to be the same review for one of their competitors: AiM, Inspect My Ride, Carchex, Magoo's, etc. I just couldn't find many reviews on any, and thought this might help someone else.

Perhaps if I or someone else uses another, we could get a thread going comparing them all.

My Cars
    ///M Roadster
    I had no idea such a thing existed. Looking at your inspection I can easily tell it's worth the $150 it costs. Had I known, I would've used it when I picked up my M Roadster a few weeks back.
    Cyrus Mistry

My Cars
    ///M Roadster
    I had no idea such a thing existed. Looking at your inspection I can easily tell it's worth the $150 it costs. Had I known, I would've used it when I picked up my M Roadster a few weeks back.
    Cyrus Mistry

My Cars
    2007 BMW M5

Pre-Purchase Used Car Inspections

Pre-Purchase used car inspections are very good ways to protect yourself when buying sight un-seen. The trick is to find a good reputable inspection company that doesn't use contractors or buddies to do the inspections. I also advise you to ensure that the inspection company is lifting the car onsite (at least using jack and stands) to fully inspect the undercarriage because just bending down and looking for tie-rod boots or taking it for a test drive doesn't tell you squat about the driveshafts, seals and ect. I've been burnt before by using a company like these guys... Hire a local inspector not a national chain. If you wanted to compare local inspectors vs. chain companies you could look at testdrivetech{dot}net - they are local to St Louis.

Quote Originally Posted by cfmistry View Post

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    Quote Originally Posted by RNeil View Post
    He has not yet bought a BMW, so until now he had no reason to post.
    There are people here that don't own a BMW, not like it's a requirement.

My concern with this service is they don't lift the car. From their website FAQ:
    Do you put the car on a lift for the inspection?

No. We look at the car wherever the car is located- at home, work or at a dealer. Lemon Squad's inspectors are trained to find any problem without the need for a lift.

-----------

I'm skeptical that they can provide as good an inspection as a place that will put it on a lift. That said, they are mobile, their basic rate is $100 and if it brings peace of mind to some people, what the hell.

For me, I'd still bring my possible purchases into a mechanic and have them do the job.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    2005 Range Rover
    What I can tell you is this, I've been trying to buy a 2006/7, white Range Rover Supercharged with the DVD system in the back. I had no idea how few of them exist for sale. I'm not advertising for Lemon Squad, you can believe it or not. I've used them four (4) times, once in Houston, Dallas, Atlanta and now Miami. The first three (3) got a grade of C, Miami got a grade of D. The dealer I was buying it through swore up and down the car was in great condition, the Lemon Squad guy was unprofessional, dressed poorly and didn't take the car on the expressway, That's when I actually doubted Lemon Squad. They don't put it on the lift so how good can they be. I'm thinking, I've given them $150 four times and I still have no vehicle. So, I asked the dealer to take the Rover to the Range Rover dealer to get it checked out, if it does, I'll disregard the Lemon Squad report and buy the vehicle. I swear, every item the Lemon guy mentioned was exactly what the dealer came up with, a/c didn't work, air suspension had a fault (the dealer swore it had no faults), the transmission had a harsh take off (Rover dealer said rear seal on transmission had a leak).

So, you can doubt them all you want, I have my own proof they work. They were my eyes and ears and for the 150 bucks I've spent, now totaling $600, I'm using them again for a vehicle I found in Chicago. A white Range Rover Supercharged with the DVD system in the head rest.

My Cars
    z3
    Though this thread is old and seemingly just bumped by someone promoting the company, I will add my .02

I save the money and look at the car myself. I feel any decently competent mechanic, provided he isnt being blinded by buyer's goggles, should be able to meet or exceed the capability of one of these people at finding faults with the car. If you are buying a specific BMW, you should do research on that car and know the particular quirks and common failure items. This means you should already know what to look for before you get there. These people get paid to look at tons of cars. You only need to prepare yourself to look at one particular model.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by blackxs View Post
    Though this thread is old and seemingly just bumped by someone promoting the company, I will add my .02

I save the money and look at the car myself. I feel any decently competent mechanic, provided he isnt being blinded by buyer's goggles, should be able to meet or exceed the capability of one of these people at finding faults with the car. If you are buying a specific BMW, you should do research on that car and know the particular quirks and common failure items. This means you should already know what to look for before you get there. These people get paid to look at tons of cars. You only need to prepare yourself to look at one particular model.
    Agreed. OP is suspicious, especially given what is learned in this thread;http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...7-M3-4-5-in-PA
    Seems to be touting a PPI service either he does not use or cannot identify a car with a history that is dubious at best. Perhaps a PPI inspector that works both sides of the street.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    BMW M3 E46
    I googled "lemon squad forums" and got this, it did not appear to me like someone was promoting it, so I decided to log in and reply to the thread.

I am looking at a car and going through a finance company (roadloans). Their requirement is to have the car inspected by lemonsquad. I've never heard of this company, but I've never paid anyone to do an inspection either. In this case, I am kind of stuck with it, and had to order it anyway. I was happy to hear that experiences with them have been positive. I already looked at the car and did my inspection, so this is to satisfy the loan company for the most part, but a second opinion is always good.

For anyone interested, the vehicle is a 2004 Mercedes e55, I've done my research on the vehicle.

I am still a bimmer owner, having owned 740i, 325i, and now an e46 m3. I can be found on m3forum.net plus my join date here shows I did not join yesterday just to promote it.

The inspection was ordered just now, so it will take a few days for it since its Friday night. As soon as I have the results, I will post what I thought of it, for anyone else who might be doing research on lemonsquad. I will admit, the name sounded corny when I first heard it. Then again so does roadloans, but they do loans for ebay and autotrader.

So.. stay tuned

My Cars
    BMW M3 E46
    Well, an update already. I ordered it Friday night at almost 9pm. Saturday the owner calls me the guy from the inspection just left. That's awesome, I thought it would be probably be Tuesday. I don't have my report yet, but they don't send it right away, the inspector submits it to HQ and they do a final draft and send it to me.

The promptness was very much appreciated, since I'd like to go through the loan and get the car ASAP.

My Cars
    '15 I01Rex , '11F25
    Right off, I'll tell you I'm a dealer tech and if you don't put the car up, unweght the suspension,shake the wheels drop the splash shields, find the oil & coolant leaks/stains then you are wasting your money. We also run the car thru ista/d to check for any stored fault codes, ie: you might not have a check engine light present, but we will know if the electric coolant pump has been misbehaving, because a speed deviation fault will be stored. . Also the OP states that we might miss issues that only an enthusiast would know about, what a complete crock of horse farts.

My Cars
    BMW M3 E46
    Got my final report. Extremely fast process, and it went without a hitch. I agree that putting the car up is better, but sometimes not an option. They did look underneath for leaks in the same normal fashion that I did. Measured tires, took a ton of pics, and pointed out the same little things that I noticed.

I haven't put any of the cars I purchased on a lift prior to purchase, but I do look underneath with a light, and can usually tell like that if something is leaking, and what color it is. I worked as a tech as well. Sometimes a full PPI is just not easy to make happen, and also is $$. Looking from the side can tell you if its leaking or if its not, which is usually enough for me

Again, disclaimer is I had no choice but to use "lemon squad", it was a requirement by roadloans. However my experience was very positive, with strong emphasis on the promptness.

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    All the people (3) touting Lemon Squad have a combined post count of less than 10.

They look like shills to me. I wouldn't use Lemon Squad based on what I've read here because I doubt the credibility of the posters. I would have a PPI done by a mechanic that works on BMW's or by a dealer in the area I'm getting the car, which is what I did do when I went out of state to buy my z4.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    2015 M5
    Do no use these scumbag scammers called Lemon Squad. They cancelled my inspection due to a technician having personal issues. Then they refuse to refund the amount. Only give a credit. They also make no guarantees as to when the inspection will take place. So they can take a month to inspect your car if they want to. Its all buried in their terms and conditions. I even tried to dispute the charge with my credit card company and no luck since Lemon Squad buries this in there terms and conditions. A totally dishonest company. Avoid these scammers at all cost!