Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: :: sumyungguy :: 95 M3 Build/Restoration :: Photos Galore

My Cars
    Too many

Smile :: sumyungguy :: 95 M3 Build/Restoration :: Photos Galore

Purchased this 95 m3 in April 2012. Picked it up cheap because it had, what the seller and I thought at the time, a pretty loud Vanos rattle.

Im the second registered owner and the car has always been a Northern California car. Its been kept all original for all of its 265,000 miles.

I quickly began diving into the car because I was in need of some wrenching time. I thought this was going to be a simple Vanos swap, shift linkage rebuild, oil pan gasket and pump nut job. Boy was I wrong.

Everything was going great until I found some goodies in the oil pan. Entire chain guide made it down into the pan and the chain had been slapping on the steel posts the guide slides onto.

So here I had a decision to make. A - Slap it all back together and sell the car. Or B - Pull the motor and do a complete rebuild.

Option B

Now with the motor out and disassembled I had another decision to make. A - Put the motor back together with new parts and call it a day. Or B - Really REBUILD the motor.

Option B again

Finally all back together. Every part inside the motor was either replaced or resurfaced/refreshed. I put about 60 hours into the engine rebuild alone. Replaced the Oil Pump and completely disassembled the Oil Filter Housing to make sure it was 100% free of plastic debris. I also found most of the piston oil squirters to be bad, if your rebuilding your motor CHECK THEM. You can simply stick a needle in the ball bearing ind to see if there is spring tension. If there isnt or its stuck, REPLACE them.

Last edited by sumyungguy; 02-01-2013 at 06:02 AM.

My Cars
    Too many
    While the motor rebuild was underway I also dug into the rest of the chassis. Completely went through all of the suspension components and replaced every bushing/wear item and 90% of the hardware. The subframes received reinforcements and fresh black powder coating. Picked up a used Autopower roll bar and had it powder coated as well. Went with TC Kline S/A coilovers, chose 550F 600R spring rates.

Up next was refreshing the trans, replaced the shift detents and bushings. Followed by taking the motor off the stand and installing the clutch (OEM Sachs), flywheel (F1 Chromoly), and headers (Supersprint).

Since Im doing all of this in my garage I had to rig up a way to get the motor back in through the bottom because of limited vertical space. I actually prefer taking the motor out/ putting in from the bottom with the subframe attached. So I wouldn't have to drag the motor across the floor I convert the subframe into a dolly.

Only took about 15 minutes to have the motor and trans all bolted in.

One of the little side projects was to get gauges set up. I went with Innovate Motorsports MTX Digital dual function Oil Pressure/Temp and Water Temp/Battery Voltage. After a few weeks of debating where to place them I ended up going with the RallyRoad gauge pod. Spent some time soldering everything and added a connector for easy/clean installation.

34 weeks after the car was put up on jack stands, she's finally back on the ground. Still need to play with the ride height, sort of waiting to see what I do for the wheel/tire set up.

Slowly installing all of the accessories. Im doing a "Euro" style coolant reservoir but using a Canton tank and fabricating my own hard pipe to run behind the motor.

Last edited by sumyungguy; 02-01-2013 at 05:57 AM.

My Cars
    1996 Alpine White M3
    Awesome restoration, can't wait to see the rest of the build pics.

And I think we met at Streets of Willow 2-3weeks ago? No? I was in the alpine white e36, beginner/intermediate group?

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, MCS
    man, you really saved that one. excellent job and better than new condition on all mechanical parts!

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe
    Great job, now she is ready for another 250k miles.

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Sedan
    This is an awesome save! Really liking what ya did. What are your next plans if you have any?

My Cars
    1998 M3 Sedan Estoril
    Awesome work, wish i had the $$ and the knowledge to do that!! Subscribed

My Cars
    '97 M3, '95 T100
    Love the detailed photos of everything. Must feel awesome to drive it after all that work and time.

My Cars
    1999 M3
    This is an amazing build.

My Cars
    E36
    wow
    BMW CCA Illini Chapter Vice President
    1995 M3
    - My Favorite DIY's and FAQ's

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Kickass.

My Cars
    1998 328i
    Epic.

My Cars
    1999 E36 M3 coupe
    Wow! Great job, everything looks perfect! I also wish I had the money/know how to do all of that myself!

My Cars
    Too many
    Quote Originally Posted by AliGhanizad View Post
    Awesome restoration, can't wait to see the rest of the build pics.

And I think we met at Streets of Willow 2-3weeks ago? No? I was in the alpine white e36, beginner/intermediate group?
    Not me. I havent been to Streets of Willow in a couple years.

Quote Originally Posted by MarketMaster View Post
    man, you really saved that one. excellent job and better than new condition on all mechanical parts!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by TXV007 View Post
    Great job, now she is ready for another 250k miles.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaticbob View Post
    This is an awesome save! Really liking what ya did. What are your next plans if you have any?
    Plans right now are to get it running so I can break in the motor. Once its good to go, tack days and canyon carving. I still need to address the seats and wheels/tires.

Quote Originally Posted by gotboost79 View Post
    Awesome work, wish i had the $$ and the knowledge to do that!! Subscribed
    Thanks! Ive been wrenching for over 10 years and I was a machinist for some of that too.

Quote Originally Posted by technoMyviolet3 View Post
    Love the detailed photos of everything. Must feel awesome to drive it after all that work and time.
    I cant wait to drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by Relax View Post
    This is an amazing build.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by sumyungguy; 02-01-2013 at 02:37 PM.

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Sedan
    Will be cool to see it running again. Any plans to boost it in the future?

My Cars
    Too many
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaticbob View Post
    Will be cool to see it running again. Any plans to boost it in the future?
    Funny you mention that...

Ultimately Id like to go smaller turbo route. Im addressing too many things at once to set that now. I really miss the instant torque my n54 335i had.

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by sumyungguy View Post
    Funny you mention that...

Ultimately Id like to go smaller turbo route. Im addressing too many things at once to set that now. I really miss the instant torque my n54 335i had.
    I figured boost would be in the future for this car. Especially seeing the great parts you were putting in for internal

Jkpgt96 is offline One of those JZ swappers BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2JZ 95 M3
    Very nice! I am essentially doing the same thing with the front end of mine right now..minus the complete engine teardown.
    1995 M3 - Forged 9.8:1 2JZ, S366, MS3x, E85, LQ9s, 420g/PMC Motorsport kit, 4 clutch 3.15 LSD Large Case 757whp/710wtq
    2011 X5 Xdrive35d- Blk on Cinnamon, Towing Pkg, Heat Pkg., etc..the tow rig/DD!

Jkpgt96 is offline One of those JZ swappers BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2JZ 95 M3
    Very nice! I am essentially doing the same thing with the front end of mine right now..minus the complete engine teardown.
    1995 M3 - Forged 9.8:1 2JZ, S366, MS3x, E85, LQ9s, 420g/PMC Motorsport kit, 4 clutch 3.15 LSD Large Case 757whp/710wtq
    2011 X5 Xdrive35d- Blk on Cinnamon, Towing Pkg, Heat Pkg., etc..the tow rig/DD!

My Cars
    E90 325i
    Wow... Great work! I love how neat and organized everything is! I can't wait until I have the money and space to do all this (and then some) to mine. I think I'm just gonna drive it how it is for a year or two, then when she starts getting tired I'll restore/rebuild/build up everything.
    _Harrison

My Cars
    Too many
    Small progress this evening. Mocked up the Canton coolant reservoir tank location and brackets that Ill fabricate. Installed the cluster, RallyRoad gauge pod, and steering wheel.

While looking for where to get power and a illumination signal I found yet another little mess of wires under the dash that needs to be cleaned up. I spent a good 2.5 hours on the passenger side already, all this time spent on things that no one will ever see.

My Cars
    E60,E36,E46 :)
    wow, very impressive. subscribed!!!!

My Cars
    99 M3 / 95 325i
    Wow. Very impressive!
    -Chris

My Cars
    A unicorn
    :thumbup for a local

My Cars
    s13/e46