Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Get blown ITT

My Cars
    00 740i Sport

Get blown ITT

It's time......

I'm going to pick up where Nexgen7 and Sylv left off, and drop the Cadillac STS-V supercharger combo (engine designation LC3) onto my M62, this time in an E38.

I've been talking a lot with notaracecar740 and Bluecrabmafia, and between us, I think we've got all the "issues" addressed, so maybe this post has more of a selfish undertone than anything altho there is a PSA in it:

The adapter plates are anticipated to run about $400, if I solely pick up the tab for the machine work. I have no problem doing this at all, that's chump change, but if more plates are requested, the cost could be as little as $250.

Overall, I'm anticipating a total cash outlay of around $2500 to have a fully operationally safe power-adding blower mated to my car, which, imho, is just a no-brainer. Even if it goes to $3k with relocating stuff or tying into things, that's half of what the next option is

Blower $750 on Ebay
    Intercooler components ~$300 frozenboost.com and common hose, clamps, etc.
    Fuel rail: $280
    Injectors and adapter plugs: ~$250

I'm preliminarily planning on using the GM injectors and rail, and mating my OE fuel line to it. Some of the more obvious reasons for this: the GM injectors will be larger, for more fuel delivery, and they're ready to mate to the blower, so no spacer or o-ring issues to deal with. Assuming they're the same impedance as our setup, all that'd really be needed to plug 'em in is the GM pigtails we'll solder into our existing wiring harness.

Obviously there will be some dyno time and a software tune needed to dial all this in, for driving off-boost, hopefully you guys know that's a given, and don't take my lack of spelling every last detail out as ignorance or apathy

We'll either mate the entire BMW TB complete with TPS to the blower, or mate the BMW TPS to the GM TB, just depends on how it looks. If we need to machine a skinnier pulley (not smaller) to fully run our serpentine belt, we can do that. The longer serpentine belt needed should be as simple as a quick trip to Napa

Plumbing in the remote heat exchanger and intercooler pump system shouldn't be any issue, with respect to the rest of the project, but I plan on using most of the OE components for now, there are plenty of STS-V guys that have upgraded and have their old stuff (good enough for 470hp/good enough for me) laying around.

Plumbing in the MAF, again, a minor issue, considering the overall scope, but I say that, and the more we've talked, the easier this is all starting to look. So we'll get started and see where it takes us. I'm not looking to make any money or sell anything, but I have no problem at all sharing where I've purchased stuff or what works what doesn't, etc....

I'll be talking with Dinan about their transmission flash, to see exactly what it does over my Steptronic as it sits. I get the impression their product was more designed to help the non-steptronic transmissions, but I'll see if it could help my auto any with the extra power.

I wish I had some more answers, but I can't get anything out of Nexgen or Sylv, and if they were intending to market this as a kit and resell it for profit through their shop, that'd be understandable, but by their own admission they've given up on this.......

I haven't
    Last edited by DriftinDaddy; 02-12-2013 at 09:28 AM. Reason: updated pricing
    "mods": front plate delete trim swap, 3-spoke wheel swap, widescreen swap, muffler delete, bluetooth install, 255/45 fr 285/40 rr tires, custom CASR intake, E46 leather shift knob, Alpina Rep lower lip, trunk spoiler, Lamin-X blue foglight covers, Elm327 20-pin OBD+Torque App, 4" MAF, windows tinted, vinyl wrap over interior wood trim,
    "R&R": sunroof motor, alternator, LH motor mount, water pump/hoses/temp sender, rear deck DSP speakers, fresh air/cabin filters, MAF, servotronic, rear bumper cover, hood and trunk struts, headlight de-glaze, #2 coil/boot, RF window regulator, all door speakers,

My Cars
    2000 740iL - 07/99
    Keep us posted!
    Follow me on Instagram @SEVEN40iL

My Cars
    2015 328i M Sport
    will be watching your progress sounds awesome man!

My Cars
    1995 740i
    You retro fitted a Steptronic? This project sounds awesome, I can't wait to see it unfold!

My Cars
    1995 bmw 740IL
    Yea and make a great video also

My Cars
    2001 740i Sport
    We should probably come up with a punch list as we go along of items that need addressed. Things I can think off the top of my head at work are:

1. Intercooler mounting and size
    2. Coolant pump for the air to water
    3. Intake piping (I didn't care for the PVC piping the other setup used)
    4. Pulley setup (proper length on the snout, belt routing)
    5. Tuning issues (I will discuss with Frank)
    6. Hood clearance
    7. ???

I would also like to add if you don't have anything positive to add, keep it to yourself. We all know these are big, heavy, luxury cars that were never meant to go fast. We've beaten that horse to death twice. This is about seeing if a roots style supercharger can be added to our car within a reasonable budget. I believe that as a community we can make this happen.

This is the supercharger in question:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BlueCrabMafia; 01-29-2013 at 02:48 PM.

My Cars
    1995 bmw 740IL
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCrabMafia View Post
    We should probably come up with a punch list as we go along of items that need addressed. Things I can think off the top of my head at work are:

6. Hood clearance
    7. ???

I would also like to add if you don't have anything positive to add, keep it to yourself. We all know these are big, heavy, luxury cars that were never meant to go fast. We've beaten that horse to death twice. This is about see if a roots style supercharger can be added to our car within a reasonable budget. I believe that as a community we can make this happen.
    Absolutely

My Cars
    94 740i, 99' 750i
    Something like this?

My Cars
    2001 740i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Hafsmo View Post
    Something like this?
    If that's your E34 540i, you sir are a genius and can probably shed a lot of light on this subject.

My Cars
    17 Raptor|05 GTO|00 P38
    Subscrizzled! I am definitely in for details on this swap, as I'll be movin to Denver in a few months and may need a little more air for the 'ole girl.

Something like this?
    I'm guessing that's yours? Details?

My Cars
    94 740i, 99' 750i
    Unfortunatly it's not mine.
    Just something I stumbled upon during my weekly "E38 parts search" on ebay.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/BMW-Kompresso...ht_1666wt_1398

My Cars
    00 740i Sport

6. Hood clearance
    7. ???

I would also like to add if you don't have anything positive to add, keep it to yourself. We all know these are big, heavy, luxury cars that were never meant to go fast. We've beaten that horse to death twice. This is about seeing if a roots style supercharger can be added to our car within a reasonable budget. I believe that as a community we can make this happen.

This is the supercharger in question:
    Good idea B, I shoulda pasted my PM's with notaracecar, we addressed a few of those questions in them.

Here's a pic I google grabbed real quick:

It just shows item #17, the OE heat exchanger, mounted in front of the AC condensor/trans cooler/radiator, in that order. I plan on following pretty much that mounting idea, just putting it up front in the nose.

I'm also planning on using pretty much all of the Caddy "water" system, shown here:

Sure the hoses will prolly need some tweaking, but GM provides everything, I'll try to take advantage of it. All it appears we'll need to do is power up the pump. I'm planning on running just water and some Redline Water Wetter in it.

The intake piping can be cleaned up, sure, but I'm not planning on sourcing or re-selling anything, so ultimately the end user will choose the material of their choice?

On the snout, that is an unknown at this point, yes. I could not detect any modification to the blower pictured by Nexgen, tho, so maybe they were able to use whatever small amount of adjustment needed by tweaking the adapter mounting plates or perhaps just shimming the pulley. Notaracecar740 has offered to machine a new pulley from scratch, if needed, and also address any snout modifications if discovered.

Tuning will be a big step, certainly, to extract the most safe horsepower outta this getup, look forward to hearing what Frank thinks

On the hood issue, if need be, I'll prop the rear up a little at the hinges, but I think one of the reasons we're so keen on this blower package is that it's so low-profile. It looks like there's no issues in the E39, hopefully that'll hold true for us too
    "mods": front plate delete trim swap, 3-spoke wheel swap, widescreen swap, muffler delete, bluetooth install, 255/45 fr 285/40 rr tires, custom CASR intake, E46 leather shift knob, Alpina Rep lower lip, trunk spoiler, Lamin-X blue foglight covers, Elm327 20-pin OBD+Torque App, 4" MAF, windows tinted, vinyl wrap over interior wood trim,
    "R&R": sunroof motor, alternator, LH motor mount, water pump/hoses/temp sender, rear deck DSP speakers, fresh air/cabin filters, MAF, servotronic, rear bumper cover, hood and trunk struts, headlight de-glaze, #2 coil/boot, RF window regulator, all door speakers,

My Cars
    17 Raptor|05 GTO|00 P38
    Good thing a certain mod towed this thread to a part of the forum where it will never be found again.

Seriously? Wheel and tire classifieds?

Thanks for that.

My Cars
    2001 740i Sport
    Unfortunatly it's not mine.
    Just something I stumbled upon during my weekly "E38 parts search" on ebay.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/BMW-Kompresso...ht_1666wt_1398
    That's the supercharger from an older Jaguar (don't know which model exactly).

The principal has been proven multipe times, it's just a matter of figuring out the parts and cost now. Maybe I'm seeing this thru rose colored glasses, but I don't see this a hard or expensive project. Besides, who doesn't want to hear that roots whine when pulling away from a stop light?

My Cars
    17 Raptor|05 GTO|00 P38
    That's the supercharger from an older Jaguar (don't know which model exactly).

The principal has been proven multipe times, it's just a matter of figuring out the parts and cost now. Maybe I'm seeing this thru rose colored glasses, but I don't see this a hard or expensive project. Besides, who doesn't want to hear that roots whine when pulling away from a stop light?
    It's from a 4.2, either an XJR or an XKR.

My Cars
    00 740i Sport
    Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot.

My Cars
    17 Raptor|05 GTO|00 P38
    Quote Originally Posted by DriftinDaddy View Post
    Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot.
    So you noticed that your thread got towed into oblivion? I guess it was too much for the purists to stomach.

My Cars
    2001 740iL Sport
    subscribed

My Cars
    2000 Bmw 750il
    Ok subscribed I've had this idea in my head for some time now. I just didn't have enough ambition too pursue it. You guys rocks I'm gonna start researching more!

My Cars
    96 M3 TT LSx
    Quote Originally Posted by burninator View Post
    Good thing a certain mod towed this thread to a part of the forum where it will never be found again.

Seriously? Wheel and tire classifieds?

Thanks for that.

I was like what's this doing in here...lol

My Cars
    01 749iM/6 sporty
    http://www.frozenboost.com/
    For all your air to water intercooler bits and gizmos.
    Trevor
    01 749i sporty, build 12/00 "Sports Barge",S62
    92 VW Corrado VR6,AAA
    81 Delorean,B28F
    81 VW Rabbit Pickup 1.8T,AWW
    03 VW Passat wagon 4.0 W8 6spd

My Cars
    1997 bmw 740il
    how come no one told me about this thread?

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328i
    maybe because it's in the wheel and tire classifieds forum?

My Cars
    1997 bmw 740il
    show of hands or whatever how many people can say yay or nay as to whether or not you're in?

do know that i expect the full told cost of this project to be in the 2500-$3k range (injectors, tune, belts, gaskets, supercharger, adapter plates, intercooler, air filter, intake piping, coolant lines etc etc)

but all this said i expect that with a stock size pulley we should be in the 425bhp area, and with a custom pulley (plus injectors/tune) easily in the 500+bhp ballpark

Quote Originally Posted by Chapel View Post
    maybe because it's in the wheel and tire classifieds forum?

my name is mentioned in the thread... i would hope to be told about whatever threads i am a part of
    Last edited by notaracecar740; 01-29-2013 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2001 740i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by notaracecar740 View Post
    show of hands or whatever how many people can say yay or nay as to whether or not you're in?

do know that i expect the full told cost of this project to be in the 2500-$3k range (injectors, tune, belts, gaskets, supercharger, adapter plates, intercooler, air filter, intake piping, coolant lines etc etc)

but all this said i expect that with a stock size pulley we should be in the 425bhp area, and with a custom pulley (plus injectors/tune) easily in the 500+bhp ballpark
    I'm in since I had this idea for awhile now. DriftinDaddy and I have been tossing this idea around offline for awhile now. I think 425bhp is doable and should also be fairly reliable. I had been waiting to start this project for various reasons, but I will gladly let someone else take the reins and help out where I can.

Now if we could just get this towed back into the E38 section where it started out at we'd be good.

Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast