Thread: DIY for wiper switch replacement - E85/E46/E39

My Cars
    94 325i

DIY wiper switch replacement - E85/E46/E39

I did this on a Z4 (E85) but since the wiper switch part numbers are the same, it should be very similar on E46 and E39 cars (if not the same). This same procedure applies to replacing the other steering column switches.

My symptoms
    • Wipers wouldn't stop
    • Wipers would stop at a random position
    • Wipers wouldn't restart until some time later
    • Often, knocking on the steering column where the switches are would fix the problem.

Steps (about 30 minutes)

(0) You WILL need to remove the steering wheel because the switch comes out by moving it towards the front of the car... which isn't possible unless you remove the whole switch assembly first. Also, the clips which hold the switch in are under a metal bracket, which also means you have to remove the whole assembly from the bracket.

(1) Disconnect the battery

(2) Remove the steering wheel and the airbag as per these instructions: http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79735
    The steering wheel and the steering column have etched markings on them so it will be easy to line them up again.

(3) Now undo the 4 torx screws holding the whole switch assembly to the metal bracket.

(4) Unplug the wiring connector from the back of the switch.

(5) Push in the clips that hold the switch to the assembly and remove the switch.

(6) Snap the new switch in, assemble everything in reverse and enjoy proper wiper action

My Cars
    1998 540i Sport + 3 more
    Great DIY article.

My Cars
    2006 BMW Z4 M Roadster
    I have this problem! I thought it might be the wiper relay ($10) on the back of the fuse box. The stealership (of course) said I might have to replace the general control module, and quoted me $800... I'd like to avoid that if possible. Ekib, the symptoms you described above only happen in (freezing) cold weather for me - was it the same for you or were your symptoms temperature-independent?

My Cars
    94 325i
    Andy,
    It did seem to be worse in cold. However, I also had to do this to fully cure the problem:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...-faulty-wipers

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325i Wagon
    When pulling steering wheel from splined shaft, be sure to guard against opening the ribbon wire spool just ahead of the steering wheel. If you do, it will take some time to sort it all out and reinstall it.