Thread: Brooks Motorsport Composites - FOR SALE

My Cars
    1995 M3

Brooks Motorsport Composites - FOR SALE

All,

It has been an absolute pleasure, and an extreme amount of fun to serve the BMW racing community over the past 4 years. We have produced somewhere in the area of 140 carbon fiber wings, and gone from an emerging value alternative, to the absolute premium product.

As many of you know, this is a business I run in addition to a pretty demanding career. And while I could make this a full time business, I just could not justify leaving my day job. This has all finally caught up to me, and I no longer have the time (or leash from my employer) to create the product quality, and provide the customer service that people have come to know us for.

This leads me to the only logical conclusion, which is to sell off the assets and intellectual property (not a share sale, no company financials will be shared) of Brooks Motorsport Composites LLC. I am doing this publicly, as I know there have been several board members over the years dabbling in composites and wanted to extend the opportunity to all. This could easily be a standalone business for someone. Any existing Motorsport business could also greatly benefit from this, as I can easily arrange to have all of the physical work outsourced. I can provide detailed profit margin calculations to any interested buyer. I have been reinvesting nearly every dime back into this company to build a huge portfolio of molds and designs.

In addition to the brief summary of assets below, I have a full sales sheet of what the owner gets, mainly fully baked wing packages for 3 separate airfoils and multiple applications. Please email me at brooks@brooksmotorsport.com for details.

Assets:
    Wing Molds: All molds were professionally done on a Haas mill, feature an integrated leading edge for superior
    aerodynamics and extreme ease of assembly, and have trimming scribes. Aero performance data is available for
    each. All molds can also be ‘re-done’: i.e., the expensive CNC work is complete; pull new bucks or molds off of any
    of these for infinite production capability.
     66” max span x 11” chord. Pulled from 5-Axis CNCd buck. PTMW High Temp Resin, carbon
    fiber backing. Designed for prepreg, but have been using with resign infusion, flawless pulls.
    This is the core of the business, no expense spared on this mold.
     68” max span x 13” chord. Milled directly into HD epoxy tooling board, high lift design (PhD
    data on this foil will be provided). Can work with prepreg, but designed for resin infusion.
    Durable tool, but material requires a buff every 5-7 pulls for optimum aesthetic.
     55” max span x 8.5” chord. Milled directly into HD epoxy tooling board, high lift design (PhD
    data on this foil will be provided). Can work with prepreg, but designed for resin infusion.
    Durable tool, but material requires a buff every 5-7 pulls for optimum aesthetic. This tool
    was left at a matte-level shine; simple buff is all that would be needed for high gloss.
     Muffler Mold: A high temp carbon fiber backed mold, created for pre-preg layup of super
    high temp resin. Extremely high quality CNC machining and mold making – beautiful tool. A
    project that did not get past beta, but has tremendous potential.
    Equipment:
     CNC Router: 24”x24” cutting surface, all aluminum, cuts carbon fiber and aluminum with
    ease. Used to cut all parts currently: everything from 2mm endplates to .25” T6 aluminum
    uprights. Includes selection of the best bits for different materials, plus PC, 19”flat panel
    monitor and ALL needed software/licensing. Plug and play, very simple to use (allowing for
    easy application toward expanding other business lines as well). Very reliable and utilizes
    readily available parts.
     Miscellaneous: vacuum pumps, electric shears, scissors, bag/bulkhead fittings. Conservatively
    estimated to be ~$1,500 worth of small shop parts.

I am willing to stay on in a consulting role for any period of time if my minimum price hurdle is met. Please contact me for more details and price.

I thank you all for all of the support and success - its been a fun ride!

ANY ITEMS THAT I HAVE ALREADY BEEN CONTACTED ABOUT WHETHER IT BE ORDERS OR REPLACEMENT PARTS ETC WILL BE TAKEN CARE OF AS NORMAL.
    Brooks

My Cars
    scooter
    Brooks,

I know of all your work from the beginning and throughout the years since we worked on this. Sorry to hear that you have decided to move in this direction, but I also know your full time job is demanding as well as your family. Your products are top notch and your service has also always been great and your willingness to make changes and build custom parts as needed. I hope someone comes in to continue the good work of Brooks Motorsport Composites with your desire to provide alternatives for all the track guys out there. Thanks for everything you've done for me over the past 4+ years, it is very much appreciated.

Thanks, Scott B.
    Last edited by scottbm3; 01-17-2013 at 12:09 AM.

My Cars
    X5 4.8is, S54 GTS4 95M3
    There's an opportunity....I'll pass this on. Good luck to you and thanks for making a great product. Rick

My Cars
    3 - E30 M3s, '04 Ford F350, '06 Audi A3
    Sorry to see you go from the fold Brooks.
    I enjoyed our collaboration on my wing.
    Thanks for supplying a great product and a great service.
    Best wishes going forward.
    Jimmy Pettinato.
    jimmy p.

88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - street
    88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - SCCA SPU
    87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car 2.0 Litre
    04 Ford F350 - V10
    06 Audi A3 Brilliant Red / 2.0 / DSG

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Thanks for all of the kind words everyone. Not an easy decision, already a bit sad about it, but there is huge opportunity here for not a lot of cost, and I hope the right person takes it!
    Brooks

My Cars
    1995 M3
    I fully understand and appreciate your decision as I have had to move on from ventures when they became more than I had the time to take care of properly. Better to do it right or get out if you just cannot do so, good for you and your family that you realize this

Sincerely,
    Rick
    -1997 332ti CA edition street/track completely rebuilt in progress
    -2012 Duramax dually, Ultra high end audio, maximum sound deadening, perf, handling, custom leather.
    -2007 V8 4runner, murdered out, we love it buy might sell it instead of leaving it parked a few years.
    -2012 43' Voltage Toyhauler, not quite a race trailer but will make it work, going full time RV all over NA with it to run on all the tracks I can

My Cars
    e24, e30, e36, e61, e70.
    Quote Originally Posted by BMMMW14 View Post
    All,

It has been an absolute pleasure, and an extreme amount of fun to serve the BMW racing community over the past 4 years. We have produced somewhere in the area of 140 carbon fiber wings, and gone from an emerging value alternative, to the absolute premium product.

As many of you know, this is a business I run in addition to a pretty demanding career. And while I could make this a full time business, I just could not justify leaving my day job. This has all finally caught up to me, and I no longer have the time (or leash from my employer) to create the product quality, and provide the customer service that people have come to know us for.

This leads me to the only logical conclusion, which is to sell off the assets and intellectual property (not a share sale, no company financials will be shared) of Brooks Motorsport Composites LLC. I am doing this publicly, as I know there have been several board members over the years dabbling in composites and wanted to extend the opportunity to all. This could easily be a standalone business for someone. Any existing Motorsport business could also greatly benefit from this, as I can easily arrange to have all of the physical work outsourced. I can provide detailed profit margin calculations to any interested buyer. I have been reinvesting nearly every dime back into this company to build a huge portfolio of molds and designs.

In addition to the brief summary of assets below, I have a full sales sheet of what the owner gets, mainly fully baked wing packages for 3 separate airfoils and multiple applications. Please email me at brooks@brooksmotorsport.com for details.

Assets:
    Wing Molds: All molds were professionally done on a Haas mill, feature an integrated leading edge for superior
    aerodynamics and extreme ease of assembly, and have trimming scribes. Aero performance data is available for
    each. All molds can also be ‘re-done’: i.e., the expensive CNC work is complete; pull new bucks or molds off of any
    of these for infinite production capability.
     66” max span x 11” chord. Pulled from 5-Axis CNCd buck. PTMW High Temp Resin, carbon
    fiber backing. Designed for prepreg, but have been using with resign infusion, flawless pulls.
    This is the core of the business, no expense spared on this mold.
     68” max span x 13” chord. Milled directly into HD epoxy tooling board, high lift design (PhD
    Durable tool, but material requires a buff every 5-7 pulls for optimum aesthetic.
     55” max span x 8.5” chord. Milled directly into HD epoxy tooling board, high lift design (PhD
    Durable tool, but material requires a buff every 5-7 pulls for optimum aesthetic. This tool
    was left at a matte-level shine; simple buff is all that would be needed for high gloss.
     Muffler Mold: A high temp carbon fiber backed mold, created for pre-preg layup of super
    high temp resin. Extremely high quality CNC machining and mold making – beautiful tool. A
    project that did not get past beta, but has tremendous potential.
    Equipment:
     CNC Router: 24”x24” cutting surface, all aluminum, cuts carbon fiber and aluminum with
    ease. Used to cut all parts currently: everything from 2mm endplates to .25” T6 aluminum
    uprights. Includes selection of the best bits for different materials, plus PC, 19”flat panel
    monitor and ALL needed software/licensing. Plug and play, very simple to use (allowing for
    easy application toward expanding other business lines as well). Very reliable and utilizes
    readily available parts.
     Miscellaneous: vacuum pumps, electric shears, scissors, bag/bulkhead fittings. Conservatively
    estimated to be ~$1,500 worth of small shop parts.

I am willing to stay on in a consulting role for any period of time if my minimum price hurdle is met. Please contact me for more details and price.

I thank you all for all of the support and success - its been a fun ride!

ANY ITEMS THAT I HAVE ALREADY BEEN CONTACTED ABOUT WHETHER IT BE ORDERS OR REPLACEMENT PARTS ETC WILL BE TAKEN CARE OF AS NORMAL.

Sounds to me like you haven't read "The four hour work week" by Tim Ferris, it's not foolproof. Since you've already set up the infrastructure of your business you need to start extracting yourself from it while maintaining it. Get it in an audio book form if you don't like reading and at least think about it, it seems like you already have a very nice and marketable product.

-Good Luck

​IG: @Street.Ego

My Cars
    1995 M3
    I am pretty much down to a 4 hour week, once I get a few more details wrapped up will easily be there. I "retired" from my business the 1st of the year, have the right team in place to run it, actually they are buying into it and growing it which has already started...I might spend a bit more time on bigger picture deals that are quite lucrative and I have the background to take care of it until the new team has it figured out but only if fun as that is my primary goal in life now, fun....

I have done a lot of counseling, coaching and mentoring over the years and that is fun as well so will continue to do so, got to pay it back a bit for all the blessings I have had

I am considering a small race shop in the future, to support my car, have some fun in, develop a few things, so I do not get bored, just not the right timing for taking on making wings right now or I would seriously consider it.

Rick
    Last edited by raamaudio; 01-18-2013 at 10:54 AM.
    -1997 332ti CA edition street/track completely rebuilt in progress
    -2012 Duramax dually, Ultra high end audio, maximum sound deadening, perf, handling, custom leather.
    -2007 V8 4runner, murdered out, we love it buy might sell it instead of leaving it parked a few years.
    -2012 43' Voltage Toyhauler, not quite a race trailer but will make it work, going full time RV all over NA with it to run on all the tracks I can

My Cars
    '11 Hennessey V600 Coupe
    So sorry to hear this! ACTion! Racing has been using Brooks goodies from the first moment I was aware of them. You will be sorely missed!

Mike Akard #03 SPO/SM Street Legal, Licensed, & Insured 1991 (e30) 318is
    S50B32 & e30 Race Parts - Spares - Go-Fast Goodies FOR SALE...Always making room for "NEW" toys!
    VADER/Back In Black...V-8 Street Legal SPO/SM in 2011

My Cars
    Coupe
    Great luck to you Brooks. I bought a wing way back from the start. I can honestly say you achieved something and made an impact.

If you sell the business I hope the new owner can maintain the work that I know you put into it.

Cheers!
    2000 M Coupe
    [Always in progress !!!]

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Thanks again everyone. It was a tough mountain to climb to put the most cutting edge product available out there. Every single day I worked to put in place a better design, a new product variation, higher quality, or simpler assembly techniques. All wings all the time. All of that has led to fully baked product line that is different than any other out there. And don't forget about all of the IP and prototype for the active wing - man I wish there were more hours in the day!

The key differentiators in this wing vs the competition are the below. That is in addition to the beautiful carbon work.

- Internal secured mounts - no cradle riveted to the bottom of the wing to disturb airflow. This is a true rarity.
    - Robust internal construction with a series of ribs and wing mounts bonded internally and all held in check with a full length spar.
    - Full 3D data sets for each of the 3 airfoils, all put together by a PhD engineer, which allows customers to easily understand what the wing is doing.
    - Integrated rear Gurney flap. Molds have been designed so that it can be permanent, temporary, carbon fiber, aluminum etc. The use of robust internals allows this optionality.
    - 5 Axis Milled molds, which means you get an integrated leading edge, perfect every time. No butt joint to sloppily sand down. Instead a neat interlocking toggle that holds it together, not a glued seam.
    - Swan neck wing - Fully baked and tested design, this is a first of kind, and there will be plenty of people looking for the upgrade. I have not even started to market it yet!

I already miss talking about it and thinking about.
    Last edited by BMMMW14; 01-18-2013 at 07:10 PM.
    Brooks

My Cars
    E36
    This saddens me, i really wanted a wing from you. I hope someone continues your great reputation and products.

My Cars
    SpecE46 #312
    Hmmm. You have any sitting around? Maybe I should get one before it's all done!
    Another disappointed UUC customer - need a part, do yourself a favor and order from somebody other than UUC

My Cars
    Z3's...
    Thank you Brooks. I really appreciate your effort in making a wing for my class, when all others only focused on making a generic wing for the largest possible target audience. My wing from you is a real work of art, and I'm saddened by the fact that motor issues and my racing budget has contracted to the point that I've not been able to use it.

Believe me I understand why you're making this decision. I wish you well and extend an invitation to come down to Buttonwillow any time Cal Club is running.

James

My Cars
    2001 BMW M5, 2005 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by UKRBMW View Post
    Hmmm. You have any sitting around? Maybe I should get one before it's all done!
    This!!! I had communicated with Brooks about having some one-off work done for my E39, but never got around to actually pulling the trigger, allowing other projects to get in the way. Now, I'm very sorry I wasn't more diligent! Hopefully, the new owner will carry on in substantially the same manner as Brooks.

--Peter

My Cars
    1988 tube frame M3
    I ordered a pro wing from Brooks yesterday. So happy to have the opportunity to get one. I almost missed my chance!