Thread: 2000 M roadster shift pins

My Cars
    M Roadster

2000 M roadster shift pins

Hey guys, I'm going to be getting my shift pins redone on the 26th and have a few questions before I put my car in.

First here are my issues:
    1. leaning shifter
    2. frequently it has been hard to get into 1st from a stop
    3. hard to get into reverse and 5th

All I need to replace are the 5 shifter pins and all my problems will go away? Or is there more that needs to be done?

Also I read that there was a recall for the catch pins, but the thread was dated 2003. Does BMW honor recalls for out of warranty cars? And were these the same pins that I'm looking to get replaced?

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    replace all of the pins.. no reason not too

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by arashb View Post
    Does BMW honor recalls for out of warranty cars? And were these the same pins that I'm looking to get replaced?
    Not for 10 year out of warranty cars they dont, not for things like this especially...

Replace the shift pins, should fix your problems. Leaning shifter may also mean someone tried to install a shorter shifter that was installed wrong

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    M Roadster
    I am going to get them all replaced I was just wondering if it could be anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Not for 10 year out of warranty cars they dont, not for things like this especially...

Replace the shift pins, should fix your problems. Leaning shifter may also mean someone tried to install a shorter shifter that was installed wrong
    Lame, one thing I miss about my MR2 :[. I am fairly certain I have a short shifter installed, but does anyone have any pictures of a short shifter installed with the light up knob that I can use as a reference?

edit- Just took apart my shift knob and I have a Rogue Engineering ssk. I was looking at the procedures online and am not entirely sure how someone could mess up a short shifter install.
    Last edited by arashb; 12-18-2012 at 01:05 AM.

My Cars
    2001 z3 3.0i, 2002 ford super crew 4x4
    whats it going to cost you do you know?
    2000 M roadster
    cosmos strong strut bar

My Cars
    M Roadster
    $450 to replace them. Unfortunately I don't need my clutch replaced

My Cars
    dang thats a lot. I had my rear end fluid replaced but still have some notchyness to it so I was thinking about having them replaced but at that price I may have to wait for it to bother me more or need a new clutch
    2000 M roadster
    cosmos strong strut bar

My Cars
    99 M Coupe, 02 Z3 2.5
    Depending on miles, seriously consider replacing your clutch assembly. Out of your $450 bill, $370 of that is in labor. It will cost minimally more to change the clutch (30 min of time if that) so basically you are looking at parts. If your clutch is nearing the end of its life, you can save a bunch of money by changing it now.

If you DIY, the entire kit is $80 for the shift pins and $55 for the special tools that you can resell when you are done. It is a little involved but with the DIY write up by Vinci, it is very doable.

Shift pin DIY
    http://webspace.ringling.edu/%7Edpla...hift_pins.html

Shift pin kit and tools
    http://bimmerdiffs.myshopify.com/
    Last edited by Wertles; 12-18-2012 at 04:46 PM.
    1999 M Coupe Boston Green, Beige, H&R/Bilsteins, Underdrive Pulleys, Euro 6 speed, UUC SSK and Randy Forbes in the back
    2002 2.5 Z3 roadster Oxford Green, auto, all stock
    2013 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Dually 385 HP, 850 ft lbs torque at 1600 rpm, all stock and staying that way
    2004 Mini Cooper Chili Red, daily driver, modified almost daily

My Cars
    M Roadster
    Yeah I'm still on the edge about the clutch. Mine feels good, very strong clutch though, I'm sure it has been changed before with an aftermarket one. Shouldn't be any stiffer than my brothers e46 m3 but is by quite a lot. I'm okay with it but it would be a good time to get it done.

As for DIY, I would but its a BMW and I don't like messing with them. It looks like an easy procedure but if only the tranny didn't have to be dropped. I want to change it now during Christmas break before it gets seriously and I need to take it to a shop in davis that I don't trust during school. It's not super seriously right now, sometimes I can't get into second without going back into first and shifting much faster though. And sometimes I have to first go into third and then to first just to be able to get into gear after just stopping.

These are things I'd have to do in my mr2, but that had a bad tranny with grinding gears. So I can live with it, but I'd like to think that I'm stepping up in the world driving a BMW now :P. things should work properly.

My Cars
    z3
    I'd like to think that I'm stepping up in the world driving a BMW now :P. things should work properly.
    lol

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    951, LTW M3, GTI
    If you dont know when the clutch was changed, do it once / do it right. You dont want to pull it all apart in another year for a clutch!

My Cars
    M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    lol
    Hey I said things should, but of course they don't on BMWs. Trust me I know, my dad use to come home from work telling me of all the horrors of BMW problems when he use to work at the dealership :P.

Quote Originally Posted by SamGrant951 View Post
    If you dont know when the clutch was changed, do it once / do it right. You dont want to pull it all apart in another year for a clutch!
    Very true, around how much do OEM clutches run for BMWs?

My Cars
    I bought my M a few months ago and the guy said he thinks the previous owner had changed the clutch at 75k now it has about 86k on it. I want to wait a little longer one to do just the shift pins or two do everything and I may still do everything just for the fact I will know for sure when it was done and I can put a nice aftermarket in it.
    2000 M roadster
    cosmos strong strut bar

My Cars
    99 M Coupe, 02 Z3 2.5
    Very true, around how much do OEM clutches run for BMWs?
    From thebmwpartstore.com, clutch $165.72, pressure plate $298.14 and throw out bearing $47.78. There are a few other minor things you should change out while you are there, but that will run you under $20.
    1999 M Coupe Boston Green, Beige, H&R/Bilsteins, Underdrive Pulleys, Euro 6 speed, UUC SSK and Randy Forbes in the back
    2013 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Dually 385 HP, 850 ft lbs torque at 1600 rpm, all stock and staying that way

My Cars
    I would put aftermarket I would like to think itll last longer for the same money. This guy was supper helpful with my new brakes and I really like them.
    Here is bimmerzone http://www.bimmerzone.com/product/SAC-21212228289.html
    2000 M roadster
    cosmos strong strut bar

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Wertles View Post
    .... If you DIY, the entire kit is $80 for the shift pins and $55 for the special tools that you can resell when you are done. It is a little involved but with the DIY write up by Vinci, it is very doable.

Shift pin DIY
    http://webspace.ringling.edu/%7Edpla...hift_pins.html

Shift pin kit and tools
    http://bimmerdiffs.myshopify.com/
    I think those DIY and kits are for the 6-cyl transmission. Does the 4-cyl transmission have the same need for shift pin replacement? And where would you find its DIY and kit?
    I have the impression that the 4-cyl transmission is different from the 6-cyl and does not need its pins replaced.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage42 View Post
    I think those DIY and kits are for the 6-cyl transmission. Does the 4-cyl transmission have the same need for shift pin replacement? And where would you find its DIY and kit?
    I have the impression that the 4-cyl transmission is different from the 6-cyl and does not need its pins replaced.
    1.9 tranny still has shift pins but they do not fail at the drop of a hat

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    99 M Coupe, 02 Z3 2.5
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage42 View Post
    The OP asked about his 6 cylinder with a ZF transmission. The information given pertains to his car. I have no experience or information for the 4 cylinder transmission.

My Cars
    M Roadster
    I think I'm gonna put this off for a bit. BimmerBreaker thank you for bringing up the short shifter. I notice I have a Rogue Engineer SSK but it doesn't have their carrier. This may be why my shift knob is off centered. I'll have to either try a stock shift lever or a different one first before I go for the repair.