Thread: 335d reliability

My Cars
    n/a

335d reliability

Hello. I'm new to this Forum. I'm considering buying a 2009 or 2010 335d and wanted to hear from about some experiences with the 335d. I test drove it and it's a sweet ride, but wanted to know more about reliability and/or maintenance costs. Saw a couple comments on another board with some guys complaining about increased problems after 40k miles.

Thanks in advance!

My Cars
    2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe
    Hi Duckman,

I have a 2009 335D with 100,000 kms and have had no problems. My commute is 130 kms each way, and mostly on the highway at 100 km/h. The car still pulls like new and puts a smile on my face every time I get into it. I am on my second set of summer tires and second set of winter tires. I find it hard not to drive enthusiastically Tire Rack has very reasonable prices. I'm not sure if you drive in the mountains, but I bought Michelin Primacy Alpin non-runflats for winter that include towing coverage. The non-runflat tires were less expensive.

Oil changes were consistent every 20,000 kms and cost about $160 which includes the DEF fluid. I am doing them every 10,000 kms now that I am above 80,000 kms.

I think you'll love the torque and the fuel economy. For daily driving, I don't perceive a significant performance difference with the 335i Gas. I have driven a 328i x-drive coupe and it didn't have near the power that the D has.

I hope this info helps.
    Good luck.

My Cars
    2011Lotus Evora S
    Do the Burger Tuning tune to the diesel at it will eat a stock 335i!. That 3 series body at 80% of tune will now have ~320Hp/515ft-lbs tq!!!! My X35d now feels as quick as a 4.8i I drove with no drop off of power well into triple digits.
    2004 Graduate Skip Barber 3 day Race School Competition Certified
    2016 Range Rover Sport HSE Montalcino Red, Ivory
    2012 Mazda MX-5 Miata GTPRHT True Red
    2011 X5 Xdrive35d Vermillion Red, Cinnamon Leather, Bamboo trim, Freight train
    2011 Lotus EvoraS Persian Blue, Black Suedetex Leather
    2008 Isuzu Ascender Lux Flint grey, Grey Leather

My Cars
    '07 Z4MC, '13 X1
    68K miles on my '09 d. No issues and I've had the JBD installed for two years.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 335D
    OCPINSTEAD. Do you think is it worthwhile to extend the 50K Miles/4 years warranty for another 6 years/72K Miles for around $3500 (Gold+) or will this car go to 122K Miles without major problems as long as you service it every 20000 miles. I am moving from the warm NC weather to cooler and mountainous Portland/OR - and should I take that into consideration in my decision to fork out $3500 to be covered? I have had no problems with my car sofar and avg 34 miles a gallon.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 335D
    I though a Diesel did not need tuning. Maybe your Lotus did? Please explain.

My Cars
    335d, 328xd (had 330xi)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergenser View Post
    OCPINSTEAD. Do you think is it worthwhile to extend the 50K Miles/4 years warranty for another 6 years/72K Miles for around $3500 (Gold+) or will this car go to 122K Miles without major problems as long as you service it every 20000 miles. I am moving from the warm NC weather to cooler and mountainous Portland/OR - and should I take that into consideration in my decision to fork out $3500 to be covered?
    First, you should be able to get the Gold coverage for more like $2500 than $3400. Shop around; check with daniel@pacificbmw and other places that sell online. Second, most of the problems I've seen being discussed here and on other forums are emissions related (mostly SCR/DEF); these are somewhat costly to fix, but not a problem as far as the engine/transmission itself are concerned. One engine-related problem that seems to be popping up is so-called carbon buildup. This is a situation that appears to be caused by faulty EGRs, or driving regimes that are too city/urban heavy (the cause is not the same as similar problems on the 335i turbo engine.)

I have gone without an extended warranty; fortunately WA state is a California emissions warranty state and they were covered. (Oregon is, too, but because you didn't buy your car in a CA emissions state your car won't be covered by the 7/70K emissions warranty.) Because of my yearly mileage and that coverage, it wasn't worth it to me to pay $2500 for essentially one year of coverage. Your situation may well be different.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergenser View Post
    I though a Diesel did not need tuning. Maybe your Lotus did? Please explain.
    "Tuning" in this context means a JBD, Renntech or other performance modifications to the engine computer to run more boost for more power.

My Cars
    2011 335D
    Running my 335d with JBD module, no issues at all, only time it has been in the shop is for a squealing a/c belt which was fixed by dealer.
    as far as the tune, surprised the guy driving a brand new 5.0 mustang the other night, kept up with him till ~70, then walked away from him 80-130, all he could do was have a puzzled look on his face and a thumbs up after.

Razi

My Cars
    2001 E36 M57TUD Compact
    Quote Originally Posted by ddsski View Post
    Do the Burger Tuning tune to the diesel at it will eat a stock 335i!. That 3 series body at 80% of tune will now have ~320Hp/515ft-lbs tq!!!! My X35d now feels as quick as a 4.8i I drove with no drop off of power well into triple digits.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8qM...j3YvlD4aLZp1nw

320hp you say ?
    Viktor Agnar Falk Gušmundsson
    -----------------------------

Signature idea, courtesy of 5mall5nails

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    I had a 2009 335d. I had a smooth driving whenever I used it but like what others have experienced, there have been problems after reaching around 50k miles. It was fixed but wasn't the same anymore. I eventually had to sell it at a much cheaper price.