Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Considering E39 540i, cost of ownership?

My Cars
    E46 330i 5MT

Considering E39 540i, cost of ownership?

Hey all, not quite a BMW owner yet but I've been lurking. I'm used to driving an American SUV for the past couple years and its really sucking my love of driving away. My father was an old time BMW fanatic and I love the cars so I am thinking of heading BMW for my next car. So first I was looking at E46's, but they're a bit out of my budget. Then considered an E36 328is, still am. But my roommate recently had me look up the E39 540i... All I can say is I never considered a 5 series until I saw videos of the 540. V8, 6-speed, similar interior styling as the E46, comfortable, and still a driver's car. I have found the earlier E39 540s are going for near nothing on my local craigslist, in the realm of $4-6k for one with reasonable mileage and good shape. So if you've stuck with me this far, I'm wondering if any of you E39 540 owners could give me any advice about owning or maintaining one? Is it expensive, unpredictable? Or has yours been nothing but reliable and turn-key? I am quite proficient working with cars and intend to do any and all labor and maintenance myself on my new BMW. I am attracted to the 5 series because I've been told that they receive a much more refined touch than, say, an E36 and that BMW really took pride in making the E39, so I'd love to hear that it lives up to the reputation. Anything you guys can say about owning and maintaining one will be of great help to me in making my decision between an E39 540 and an E36 328is. I'm posting in here because I've already done a fair amount of research on the E36s and my knowledge about E39s is quite lacking.

My Cars
    RWD + TORQUE
    a $6,000 540i will need atleast $4,000 in maintenance
    Quote Originally Posted by Aradaiel View Post
    I'm sorry, the m5 and the 528/530 don't feel the same driving them. The m5 is leaps and bounds better. My loud pedal actually does something in the m5, steering is tighter, suspension is tighter and just feels better. The ONLY thing my 525/528/530 does better than my m5 is use less fuel. The whole rack and pinion thing is stupid, they feel the same.

My Cars
    2001 bmw 525i
    If the v8 isnt a huge deal the i6s tend to be a little more reliable. Also if you do all the work yourself, your prolly lookin at 1-2 grand in parts to get it in tip top shape. The e39 BMW is one of the greatest BMW series ever made. If you get one you will not regret it. Also a ppi will really help you understand how well a car was maintained.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    My 540 uses up more time and parts than my three E36s combined. And it's worth every bit of it.

/.randy

My Cars
    2010 E61 535i Xdrive
    Quote Originally Posted by webdesigner View Post
    a $6,000 540i will need atleast $4,000 in maintenance
    It depends on the year. You have to be very selective. Service history is key, if they don't have it or it doesn't look good don't buy the car!

They are expensive to maintain and owning one has to be a labor of love. On paper vs. a japanese counterpart they are the worst idea ever. The problem is your heart will still yearn for that bmw. I sold my first E39 for a maxima, and a year later... yeah... I'm back. I hear lots of justification for paying what we do for cars and parts but what it boils down to is the enjoyment.

Cost of ownership is high, but driving a car that has me looking at it's reflection while moving is worth every penny to me. Maintenance is a bit of a hobby for me, so I really enjoy the wrenching part as well.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i-sport

Cost of Ownership for 540i?

Some things truly deserve "cost of ownership"...most of those are things that are relatively easy to replace or substitute with something similar. You will find if you "get into an E39" in a serious way...the "cost of ownership" falls to a distant place in your mind....it is intoxicating to have such a vehicle...if you don't know...you just don't know. Yet, so many here have committed funds WAY BEYOND what they expected...it is kinda like having a quarter horse that needs some TLC...new shoes, some brushing, some shots, teeth to be taken car of...but MY GOD...does this horse deliver the goods!!...and....my friend...if you get a GOOD ONE (I am not kidding here) you will spend and spend and spend....and...yes...it is intoxicating unfortunately. That is just how it is. Yours to decide! And, it will deliver the goods...just ask her...and she delivers!

larrym3711
    2001 540iA Sport (near pristine)

My Cars
    1998 540i
    Paid $6600 for my '98 540 last May.

In the intervening 18 months I've put another $4k into it. Mostly parts. 75% of the labor has been me.

Great car to drive but if you can't afford ~$2500/year I'd pass.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4G using BF.com

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    larrym3711,

No, it's more like a beautiful, demanding mistress, who fulfills all your desires, but is high maintenance.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

My Cars
    02 BMW 540i, Volvo XC90
    newer & lesser the mileage the better it is. Look for a K-K miles range. Also the 540 are fairly cheap.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 540iA
    Depending on the year and mileage on the 540i it may be a good idea to spend some money on doing preventative maintenance on the trouble areas. In my experience the car will be quite reliable after that. Always buy OEM or OEM manufacturer parts. They may appear to be more expensive, however the reduction in headaches will be worth it.

It is also well worth it to get an IMPA cable and also DIS software. IMPA will allow you to pull all error codes from every module in the car. The cable will also allow you to code new modules. So for example, you get the dreaded ABS, DSC, BRAKE trifecta and your control module is shot, you can buy one and install it without going to a dealer or indie tech. The cable usually runs $30-100. I got mine on ebay for $35 shipped and it came with pre-configured software and excellent step by step instructions.

My Cars
    E46 330i 5MT
    Okay so it looks like they are a bit of a yearly money commitment. I'm curious a little deeper what the majority of the ownership cost ends up comprising of? Is it regular maintenance stuff, consumables, or fixing broken items? I don't mind replacing things like tires if I'm driving it... 'spirited' but I'm curious if much of the ownership is replacing failed parts?

My Cars
    02 540i/6
    What everyone else said:

High maintenance & highly rewarding.
    A PPI (pre purchase inspection) is worth its weight in gold if you're looking at a car you're unfamiliar with or not mechanically inclined- which you said you are.

If you can do your own wrenching (and enjoy it) you're one step ahead.

See thread in my sig. I've got a few "spent this much in one year" posts in there if you're looking for examples of how much to spend a year if you're obsessed like myself & to see what broke/was replaced/etc. I've experienced lots of the common failures.
    2002 540i | 6 speed | (892) Titanium Gray | BC Coilovers |E60 SSK - ZHP Knob | CDV Delete | M5 RSB | Muffler Delete - 2.75" Turndown | Dice Duo | Spec Dock | Running log -> http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1713303

My Cars
    e39 540i/6, e36 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by compcrasher86 View Post
    Okay so it looks like they are a bit of a yearly money commitment. I'm curious a little deeper what the majority of the ownership cost ends up comprising of? Is it regular maintenance stuff, consumables, or fixing broken items? I don't mind replacing things like tires if I'm driving it... 'spirited' but I'm curious if much of the ownership is replacing failed parts?
    I'd call my e39 reliable, but maintenance intense. You might be able to call that "regular maintenance", but really it's more like replacing anything rubber, including all the suspension, at regular intervals. Parts cost is roughly 3x more than 3-series parts in my experience for the same items and there are more items on a 5-series. Most of this stuff can wear and the car will still move, but to keep the car driving well it needs to be replaced. When the suspension wears out, it's worse than driving a boring a to b car because this one will pull/vear/and wonder all over the place. I've had almost nothing fail catastrophically.
    1985 325 - 5 speed - LSD - M50NV - MS2/extra - AEM UEGO - TiAL MV-R - 750cc injectors - HX35 - Blunttech Manifold - 3" exhaust
    1991 318i - 5 speed - M50NV - e36 rack - Smileys

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    The money you save on taxes, insurance and registration fees will allow you to enjoy the e39 to it's fullest stock potential IMO.

Have you taken a test drive yet? You're gonna be hooked immediately and from my experience, will fall in love with "driving" all over again. Lotsa testimonials to that fact on this forum alone.

'00 540iA Sport w/235k+ Original TCG's, Vanos and transmission.​*Trans failure at 244k+...FS Now

My Cars
    '03 540i/6 M-tech
    dont buy the cheapest one you can find... it will be a basket case and you can easily get in over your head pretty quickly.

Buy the newest one with the least amount of miles and most service recods you can afford.

A pre-facelift 97-00 with 170k+ miles and that has been neglected for the past 30k and costs $4-6k will need another $5k+ in maintenance and repairs.

A face lifted 01-02 with under 110k, in good shape and with complete service records might cost you $8-11k but will likely be for the most part trouble free for at least the first year of ownership, maybe longer.

both options cost a similar amount, but the first one is potentially much more frustrating.

the '03 540i/6 is kind of in its own boat and tend to fetch a $2-3k premium over an '02 with the same miles and in the same shape... BUT people end up spending more than that price difference upgrading to the stuff the '03 comes with. Hell... new OEM M-pars with decent rubber will set you back $2600 by themselves, OEM bumpers w/ good paint is over $2k, etc. you can get replica wheels and bumpers but then its not the "same".

2001 330Cic/A in the same color combo is "Her" ride.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrix2k View Post
    I'd call my e39 reliable, but maintenance intense. You might be able to call that "regular maintenance", but really it's more like replacing anything rubber, including all the suspension, at regular intervals. Parts cost is roughly 3x more than 3-series parts in my experience for the same items and there are more items on a 5-series. Most of this stuff can wear and the car will still move, but to keep the car driving well it needs to be replaced. When the suspension wears out, it's worse than driving a boring a to b car because this one will pull/vear/and wonder all over the place. I've had almost nothing fail catastrophically.
    This is also my experience. The only actual problems I've had are due to maintenance items not being replaced in a timely fashion or going cheap on parts.
    For example a plastic joint on my upper radiator hose cracked and exploded. If I had known what to look for I would have known that the hoses were old and on borrowed time.
    I replaced my old spark plugs with bosch platinum +4 plugs (they were really cheap). I started having misfires after about 10k miles so I installed the plugs recommended by BMW and no more problems.
    I replaced my PCV/CCV valve with a "URO" branded one and now it whistles. I should have spent the extra $20-30 on the OEM valve.

Even being relatively high maintenance I still think it is well worth the money and effort. Where else are you going to get a car of this caliber for so little money?

Another tip is to stay away from E39s with modifications. Not all modified cars have been abused. However, enough of them have been abused, to not make it worthwhile unless you know the PO personally.
    Last edited by Random77; 11-28-2012 at 06:19 PM.

My Cars
    E46 330i 5MT
    Thank you for all the really honest and friendly advice. Do the E39s suffer from plastic cooling system parts failures as I have found the 3 series do? I am currently a student in my final years of college so the prospect of owning a maintenance intensive car is a bit scary but from the videos I've seen these E39 540s seem like a different animal themselves and I am quite drawn to them. I have only test driven a couple E46s and my buddy's E36. My father used to be very into the BMW scene and had a E28 5 series that lived to see 500k and an E34 535 that lived to 300k. We also have a close family friend who used to own a local BMW performance shop and I fully intend to talk to him and bring him along with me when making a decision. It almost sounds like alot of the upkeep is in the chassis and suspension so long as the engine is not a reliability concern I am still pushing for a 540. Really, the 540 is what drew me to the 5 series anyways.

Around me right now I have found several late 90's (pre-facelift?) 540s for under $5,000, which is within my current budget. None seem to mention any of the specific maintenance I'd be looking for (gearcase fluids, suspension bushings, cooling work) they just mention it "runs great" suppose I need to see it in person. Is there any indication (noises to look for, etc) as to the condition of the fluids if the seller (possibly used car dealership?) is unaware of it? I found that the facelifted 540's go for quite a premium, with asking prices twice that of the pre-facelift ones. The only dilemma I have with a $10,000 540 is I have to consider whether its worth it or if it would be smarter for me to buy an E46, which seem to be less maintenance-intensive. I am not one to neglect or ignore car issues and am quite picky about the little things so there is no doubt I will take care of a 540, its whether or not it will burn my bank account by owning it. I do eventually want one though because every youtube video I have seen has left me jaw open gawking at that German V8 noise.

I'm going to keep my eyes peeled on this thread but I'm going to also go do the same thing over in the E36 subforums and see what I get so I can get some good side by side results. Thank you to those who took the time it sounds like every one of you guys who has replied really loves their 540 despite some of the costs it may induce. Thats the kind of car I need to enjoy driving again.
    Last edited by compcrasher86; 11-28-2012 at 09:51 PM.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by compcrasher86 View Post
    Thank you for all the really honest and friendly advice. Do the E39s suffer from plastic cooling system parts failures as I have found the 3 series do? I am currently a student in my final years of college so the prospect of owning a maintenance intensive car is a bit scary but from the videos I've seen these E39 540s seem like a different animal themselves and I am quite drawn to them. I have only test driven a couple E46s and my buddy's E36. My father used to be very into the BMW scene and had a E28 5 series that lived to see 500k and an E34 535 that lived to 300k. We also have a close family friend who used to own a local BMW performance shop and I fully intend to talk to him and bring him along with me when making a decision. It almost sounds like alot of the upkeep is in the chassis and suspension so long as the engine is not a reliability concern I am still pushing for a 540. Really, the 540 is what drew me to the 5 series anyways.

Around me right now I have found several late 90's (pre-facelift?) 540s for under $5,000, which is within my current budget. None seem to mention any of the specific maintenance I'd be looking for (gearcase fluids, suspension bushings, cooling work) they just mention it "runs great" suppose I need to see it in person. Is there any indication (noises to look for, etc) as to the condition of the fluids if the seller (possibly used car dealership?) is unaware of it? I found that the facelifted 540's go for quite a premium, with asking prices twice that of the pre-facelift ones. The only dilemma I have with a $10,000 540 is I have to consider whether its worth it or if it would be smarter for me to buy an E46, which seem to be less maintenance-intensive. I am not one to neglect or ignore car issues and am quite picky about the little things so there is no doubt I will take care of a 540, its whether or not it will burn my bank account by owning it. I do eventually want one though because every youtube video I have seen has left me jaw open gawking at that German V8 noise.

I'm going to keep my eyes peeled on this thread but I'm going to also go do the same thing over in the E36 subforums and see what I get so I can get some good side by side results. Thank you to those who took the time it sounds like every one of you guys who has replied really loves their 540 despite some of the costs it may induce. Thats the kind of car I need to enjoy driving again.
    Having a friend with you that knows BMWs and the E39 specifically, is very useful.
    I would make a list of potential issues that any e39 might have. List out parts costs to address those issues and bring it along with you when you go see the car. Things like a cooling system refresh (hoses, exp tank, pump, radiator, thermostat), fluids and spark plugs should be budgeted regardless of what you find in the inspection. In addition to knowing what your costs will be, you can use these numbers as a negotiation tool.

My Cars
    1990 325is, 1990 325i
    on the flip side, there are a couple of reasons to go with the 530 over the 540 (I think I can speak on this one, I own both).

-The 530 will get better mileage, especially in city driving, the 540 will suck gas in the city. On the highway it's a more level playing field, with the 540 using only slightly more fuel.

-The i6 engine is more reliable than the v8. It's less powerful, however, it doesn't have the dumb plastic timing chain guides that eventually fail, resulting in a huge repair bill. Unfortunately, you can't see the guides fully without taking many many parts off the engine, so you can't inspect them before a purchase. You'll need to listen to the engine to see if there is excessive chatter, which would indicate failing guides.

-If you decide to go with a 530, you'll be more likely to step into a later model for the same money or similar money as an earlier model 540. This will get you the facelift front end and headlights as well as some interior bits and technology.

In the end, however, it's a BMW, you need to take care of it regardless of which one you end up with. Most people that purchase BMWs that are outside of warranty do so because they love the car as more than just transportation and are willing to put in the resources to keep it in top shape.

My Cars
    BMW M3
    i've had my car for a little over 4 months. i've done the following to it so far

outer and inner tie rods
    short shifter
    m5 rep front bumper
    headlights
    new tail lights
    fan clutch
    spark plugs
    fuel filter
    valve cover gaskets
    muffler delete
    tint
    heater hose
    black wide kidneys

things i still need/want to do:
    front brakes
    m-tech rear bumper and redo exhaust
    new wheels
    right rear window regulator
    front driver side window regulator is slowing down so i'll probably do that
    ambient temp sensor
    m5 rear sway bar

as you can see a lot of the stuff is cosmetic. but things like the valve cover gaskets are either a lot of $$$ in labor or a huge pain in the ass if you do it yourself. i love driving and looking at the car though, so it's worth it. very expensive car to maintain though.

My Cars
    BMW 540I, CR Sebring
    With time my 540i is a dream to own. Doing my own work allows me to buy all the parts (not just some) that need to be/might need to be replaced. I have put 60K miles on a car I bought with 120K miles and enjoyed all of them. I've also just bought an M5 to replace it. Why? Because it was a 97, I'd had it for 6 years and I wanted something "new". Now that has truly been a money pit. But, it's for similar items - I wanted to just zero time all the stuff that could break - clutch, hoses, tensioners and all the parts that come with those things. This will pay off by making it more predictable in the future.

Oh, and I bought my 540i based on the excel spreadsheet of the maintenance record. that is probably the best indication that the cars are a lot of work!
    1997 E39 540i aka the 2nd Generation America Bomber...
    1983 528e (long gone)
    1971 R75/5 (long gone)

My Cars
    2000 BMW 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by d1984 View Post
    i've had my car for a little over 4 months. i've done the following to it so far

outer and inner tie rods
    short shifter
    m5 rep front bumper
    headlights
    new tail lights
    fan clutch
    spark plugs
    fuel filter
    valve cover gaskets
    muffler delete
    tint
    heater hose
    black wide kidneys

things i still need/want to do:
    front brakes
    m-tech rear bumper and redo exhaust
    new wheels
    right rear window regulator
    front driver side window regulator is slowing down so i'll probably do that
    ambient temp sensor
    m5 rear sway bar

as you can see a lot of the stuff is cosmetic. but things like the valve cover gaskets are either a lot of $$$ in labor or a huge pain in the ass if you do it yourself. i love driving and looking at the car though, so it's worth it. very expensive car to maintain though.
    None of the maintenance items you listed are what I would consider difficult. The only thing you can't do entirely on your own are the tie rods, since you need an alignment afterwards. The window regulators aren't particularly difficult either, as long as you know how to remove the inner door panels.

My Cars
    1999 e39 528i and 540i/6
    black friday to now i spend just shy of $400.

200 in tools
    and after sea foam, misc parts, impulse buys, filters, plugs, oil etc...yeah..

My Cars
    99 540it Wagon
    I have a 540i Touring, now for 3 months. I love it! Best car I have ever driven, it looks fast just sitting in my garage. however, i know it needs about $2K worth of work to fix all the leaks, and get new timing chain guides, which has me thinking about finding an i6 touring wagon instead.

My Cars
    '03 540i/6 M-tech
    Unless the cars you look at have had the cooling system replaced... I would budget for that right off the bat.

a lot of times you can "get by" with just doing a partial suspension refresh... thrust arm bushings, sway bar end links and bushings and rear ball-joints... maybe a tie rod end or 2... that will make a huge improvement for only a couple hundred bucks... just be sure to spend the little bit extra on Lemforder stuff. If the shocks are blown and you are on a budget I would buy the nicest ones you can afford that come with a good (lifetime) warranty... even a cheap sensatrack or monroe from a parts store will be etter than a blown OEM one.

Also, toss a new timing chain tensioner in it... its $60 and takes under an hour to replace.

if the car is mostly clean but has a few tired parts, the stuff I mention will make it feel much better. Other little issues may arise but very few risk catastrophic failure and as long as you can live with them until you can afford to fix them... they wont kill the car.

2001 330Cic/A in the same color combo is "Her" ride.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast