Thread: P0012 Code

My Cars
    2006 325i 2013 335i,

P0012 Code

I have a 2006 325i and I am getting a P0012 code. About a month my car was running rough and I took it to Auto Zone and they used their scanner and found that the #1 coil pack was bad. I replace the coil pack and the car is running great. This weekend I bought myself a scanner and did a scan on the car and it showed a P0012 code. Have anyone dealt with this before. Thanks

My Cars
    '98 M3 'Vert '07 328xit
    A quick google search shows:

P0012 - "A" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Retarded (Bank 1)

OBD-II DTC Trouble Code Description

"A" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Retarded (Bank 1)

What does that mean?

A code P0012 refers to the VVT (variable valve timing) or VCT (variable camshaft timing) components and the car's PCM (powertrain control module, also called an ECM). That consists of a few different components but the P0012 DTC specifically refers to the camshaft (cam) timing. In this case, if the cam timing is over-retarded, the engine light will be illluminated and the code will be set. The "A" camshaft is either the intake, left, or front camshaft.

Potential Symptoms

Most likely a P0012 DTC will result in one of the following:

hard starting poor idle and/or stalling

There are potentially other symptoms as well. Of course, when trouble codes are set, the MIL (malfunction indicator lamp, a.k.a. the check engine light) illuminates.

Causes

A P0012 DTC trouble code may be caused by one or more of the following:

Incorrect camshaft timing Wiring problems (harness/wiring) in intake timing control valve control solenoid system Continuous oil flow to VCT piston chamber Failed timing valve control solenoid (stuck open)

Possible Solutions

The main thing to check is to verify the operation of the VCT solenoid. You're looking for a sticking or stuck VCt solenoid valve caused by contamination. Refer to vehicle specific repair manual to perform component tests for the VCT unit. Notes: Dealer techs have advanced tools and the ability to follow detailed troubleshooting steps, including the ability to test components using a scan tool.

My Cars
    2006 325i 2013 335i,
    Thanks for your help. I saw a DIY on the exhaust sensors which is located on the front part of the engine. It showed where you can easily take them off and either clean them or replace them. Can the same thing be done to the VTC solenoid or do I have tear the engine apart. Again thanks for any assistance.

My Cars
    '98 M3 'Vert '07 328xit
    The vanos solenoids are located at the front of the cam shafts. I just perused my Bentley manual and it looks to be a fairly big job to swap them out. I've got 20 years of shade-tree mechanic's experience and that is a job that I'd want to do some planning for and probably invite a friend. If this was for my daily driver, I'd think hard about just taking it to a mechanic.

My Cars
    2006 bmw 525i m sport
    Hi, i have had this error code (along with P0597). i first tried by cleaning the vanos solenoids, this solved the problem for about a month or so but the codes have come back... Looks like they will need replacing, £79.99each from BMW, both have the same part number). it literally took 60 mins from dismantling, cleaning and re-assembly.

Take a look at this excellent guide i used:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=486201

My Cars
    2005 118i
    Hi wezzerm77,

Did the final replacement actually work? I have the exact same issue as you. Cleaned solenoids 6 months ago, and the code went away until now. If replacing the solenoids gets rid of it, then I will simply buy one and do it myself.

Thanks very much for your help!