Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: NASA Spec3 Build

My Cars
    Spec3 & MCoupe

NASA Spec3 Build

The journey begins. My brother and I picked up this 1994 325is with 210k down in Lynchburg, VA to start a Spec3 build. Of course, it has several problems to address before we get to any of the fun stuff. One of the clutch bearings is making noise, the rear suspension shimmies laterally when I hit a bump, there's a grinding noise at the right front when I go over the crest of a hill, and it leaks oil, I think from the oil pan gasket. Here are a couple of photos from the day after we bought it.

Last edited by OCRentAPopo; 01-12-2014 at 06:25 PM.

My Cars
    E-36 325I 1993
    Dog come included with vehicle??
    Jk
    good luck on the build
    What breed of dog?

My Cars
    2003 BMW 330ci
    Nice car

I look forward to seeing where it goes.
    -kg

My Cars
    E91 328i, Spec3, etc
    Great to see yet another car being built. Make sure to post any questions or comments as you go.

Jon

My Cars
    Spec3 & MCoupe
    From the Spec3 Rules:

"9.3.4.1. An exhaust is specified and shall be purchased from the Spec3 official supplier: Mitchum Enterprises Richmond, VA (804)-379-1239"

Am I allowed to purchase an exhaust second hand?

My Cars
    a
    i don't see why it would be an issue. i bought it from Mitchum Summer 2011 and it's just been sitting in my garage unused.

My Cars
    Spec3 & MCoupe
    Finally got some work done on the car. Removed most of the interior and got the valve cover off, waiting for a new valve cover gasket to arrive in the mail.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    Spec3 & MCoupe
    The power steering is definitely leaking. Do you Spec3 guys remove the power steering or fix and retain it?

My Cars
    E91 328i, Spec3, etc
    Take a look at the rules on power steering to make sure your decision is compliant.

I have left mine in for the 5 years I have been running the car and enjoyed having it, especially during those hot July/August races.

Best of luck on the build. I am right in your backyard and can be available for help.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by OCRentAPopo View Post
    From the Spec3 Rules:

"9.3.4.1. An exhaust is specified and shall be purchased from the Spec3 official supplier: Mitchum Enterprises Richmond, VA (804)-379-1239"

Am I allowed to purchase an exhaust second hand?
    Absolutely. Feel free to buy a used unit.
    Last edited by jonmacs22; 11-29-2012 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    Spec3 & MCoupe
    Decided to retain the power steering mainly because it's cheaper to replace a couple hoses than to purchase a block-off plate for the rack and new serpentine belt. I guess having power steering will be nice at times, too. Replaced the lines/clamps to and from the power steering reservoir; looks dry now.

Thanks for the rules input, Jon.

Omega, my build is moving slow but I'll probably be interested in your exhaust and chip shortly after the new year.
    Last edited by OCRentAPopo; 01-02-2013 at 01:43 PM.

My Cars
    Spec3 & MCoupe
    Updates! Replaced the guibo because it was in terrible shape. That thing was ready to fail at any moment. Installed some new bimmerworld transmission mounts and the bimmerworld solid race shifter with Jaffster knob, which feels awesome. There is a strange stripe on the driveshaft from rubbing against some heat shielding. We cut away part of the heatshielding to reveal some sort of mud-based insect nest, complete with dead larvae. Good times. Next up will be front control arms, rear ball joints and rear trailing arm bushings.

Last edited by OCRentAPopo; 01-12-2014 at 07:09 PM.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 330ci
    Mud based insect nest. That's a little embarrassing.
    Did the shifter go in smoothly?

My Cars
    e28, Spec3, M3, M3, ZHP
    Interesting choice on the BW Solid Race Shifter, I was looking into that, but from what I had read they recommend using that shifter with at least aluminum/solid bushings. Not really sure though, but I ended up with the UUC Evo3/DSSR instead of that exact shifter.

Hopefully it works out! I'd love to check it out when I'm at the track again if you're around!
    Andrew Elmore

My Cars
    Spec3 & MCoupe
    Quote Originally Posted by VaTechE36 View Post
    Interesting choice on the BW Solid Race Shifter, I was looking into that, but from what I had read they recommend using that shifter with at least aluminum/solid bushings. Not really sure though, but I ended up with the UUC Evo3/DSSR instead of that exact shifter.

Hopefully it works out! I'd love to check it out when I'm at the track again if you're around!
    Here's hoping the solid shifter will work with some movement in the driveline. It feels awesome when the car isn't moving.

Quote Originally Posted by MrKlic View Post
    Mud based insect nest. That's a little embarrassing.
    Did the shifter go in smoothly?
    Those little jerks also made a small nest under the carpet in the driver's footwell. One of the plastic plugs was displaced up into the car which was their point of entry and also water's point of entry. No rust, though.

Shifter install was very easy with the driveshaft out of the way. Everything lined up so I assume the stock selector rod is there like you said.
    Last edited by OCRentAPopo; 01-03-2013 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    Spec3 & MCoupe

Progress is at a Crawl

Not much to report lately. We have been struggling with a clutch & axles install on my brother's Subaru instead of working on the BMW. I have been slowly removing sound deadening and goo. It is tedious and smelly.

I have an enormous stack of parts waiting to go on, though. Thanks, Omega, for most of this stuff.

-Front Control Arms & Bushings
    -Electric Fan Conversion
    -Tow Hooks
    -Rear Trailing Arm Bushings & Turner Shims
    -Rear Ball Joints that aren't ball joints
    -Vorshlag Camber Plates
    -Vogtland Springs
    -Eibach Swaybars
    -Koni Shocks & Struts
    -Mitchum Exhaust

Last edited by OCRentAPopo; 01-12-2014 at 06:33 PM.

My Cars
    Spec3 & MCoupe
    Some progress! We successfully pulled most of the rear suspension apart for RTABs, RTAB limiters, ball joints, springs, shocks and swaybar. The best news by far is that all the interior sound deadening is gone. I'll see that goo in hell. Also, we picked up a set of 16" Kosei K1 wheels with Toyo Proxes tires. They're not legal for Spec3 but they should be great for HPDE, autocross, or wherever else the car finds itself before we get competition licenses. On to the pictures!

Clean passenger footwell area

Clean driver's footwell area

Springs/Struts/Sways waiting to go on

Turner RTAB limiters installed

Turner RTAB limiters installed again

Clean rear seat area

Kosei K1 wheels and crap tires
    Last edited by OCRentAPopo; 01-12-2014 at 06:39 PM.

My Cars
    Spec3 & MCoupe
    Any advice for installing the four outer ball joints into the rear suspension? I got one pressed in with a home depot tool made from threaded rod, nuts and steel pipe but the second (of four) will not go in. I just bend the threaded rod when I tighten the nuts. The hole in the hub where the bushing should go is coated in anti-seize. Anybody have some tips or a nifty tool?

Quality Response: Put the ball joints in the freezer and heat the crap out of the control arm.
    Last edited by OCRentAPopo; 01-12-2014 at 07:08 PM.

My Cars
    Spec3 & MCoupe
    The rear suspension is complete! Check out the new spec springs, shocks and swaybar.

This very rusty rear camber bolt needed quite a bit of heat and hammer persuasion to come out. Replaced it with a new one.

Now on to the front suspension. All of the disassembly is done except for the tie rod ends, which look brand new. Assembly of the front should be done this weekend.

After the front suspension will be an electric fan conversion. Hopefully we can find a pesky coolant leak while we're installing the new fan. I'm guessing thermostat housing or water pump. If all goes to plan I'll drive the BMW out to Hyperfest to meet the Spec3 guys.
    Last edited by OCRentAPopo; 01-12-2014 at 07:07 PM.

My Cars
    Spec3 & MCoupe
    Installed a dead pedal out of a a fox body mustang. No more stepping on wires and brackets.

Close-up of the dead pedal. One of the holes is there already and I had to drill the other. I put big body washers on the back side for extra support. it feels pretty solid.

Pulled some seats out of a junkyard 318. They're non-heated and non-powered but they weren't as light as I was hoping they'd be. Anyway, there's less crap to break and I can eliminate more wiring. Also, the leather condition is a dramatic improvement over the original seats.

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by OCRentAPopo; 01-12-2014 at 06:45 PM.

My Cars
    Spec3 & MCoupe
    Interior Door Handles! These pretty much transform the car into a 911 GTRS.

Passenger door.

Passenger door closeup. I had to trim the washers to fit the odd contours of the door panel.

Driver door. Note how crappy the paint is. I find it hard to believe that these two doors came out of the same factory at the same time. When I removed the plastic moisture barrier and its adhesive, the paint came off with the adhesive. Also the middle part of the door is essentially unpainted.

Driver door closeup.
    Last edited by OCRentAPopo; 01-12-2014 at 06:48 PM.

My Cars
    Spec3 & MCoupe
    My latest project was removal of the sunroof cassette which didn't work anyway. The cassette is out and nine sunroof clips are in plus a bead of silicone around the sunroof panel on top. It's not perfectly flush on top in the front so I might revisit those four tabs in the future.

Also picked up a 3:15 limited slip differential to replace the 3:15 open differential:
    Last edited by OCRentAPopo; 01-12-2014 at 06:54 PM.

My Cars
    Spec3 & MCoupe

Orange!

I painted the lower grey part orange because racecar. Sometime this winter I'll get around to adding an orange and white checker flag pattern to the mirrors.

Front disassembly:

Freshly painted nose panel in factory white with orange grill surrounds and orange lower bumper:

Orange side skirts:

Orange lower rear bumper:

Outside with my former daily driver, '97 Subaru Legacy Outback with a 5-speed.
    Last edited by OCRentAPopo; 01-12-2014 at 07:02 PM.

My Cars
    Spec3 & MCoupe
    Santa brought HPDE tires! 225/50/16 Hankook Ventus RS-3's. I couldn't decide between the RS3's and the Dunlop Direzza ZII's so I went for the cheaper of the two. The RS3's were about $20 less per tire. Here's hoping the flames cut into the tread wears of quickly. Mounted on 16" Kosei K1 wheels.

My Cars
    bmw e36 328i 4dr saloon
    very nice
    1996 328i (m52B28US) OBD1 euro ZF 5spd. 3.23LSD conversion / Chem. PnP Head/ DINAN stg.2 CHIP/ VAC race valves/ S52 cams/ A/C delete/ fan delete/ Washer Fluid resv delete/ ARP head studs/ Cometic 140MLS / VAC Solid Engine/trans Mounts/ CAI / 2.5"Borla race exahaust/ NGK R spark plugs, M50 Mani, S50 Oil Res, Riot Racing HFTB, SAMCO Hoses, JBR FW, X-Brace, Mtech Front Bumper, RE RSMs, stoptech SS lines, Bilstein sports, H&R Race Springs, S52 Reinforcement plates, Kosei K1 w/ bridgestone RE960as, Brembo/stoptech slotted rotors, M3 Trailing arms, M3 Calipers, M3 Axles, ACS strut brace, weight reduction.

http://mbuild.blogspot.com/

My Cars
    E39 Wagon, E36 M3
    Awesome find on the foxbody dead pedal, I'm totally going to steal your idea on that one!

I'm curious to see how the solid shifter works without solid engine mounts...

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast