Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: **Headliner Make-over** Gray-->Black

My Cars
    Shopping cart magnet.

**Headliner Make-over DIY**

Well what I started yesterday is probably my biggest project ever. After having seen a fellow bf.c member do it, I was convinced I could too. I am reupholstering my headliner.

My headliner was falling down, it's a common problem with E36's, and there were black oily fingerprints on the gray fabric from the wankers who installed the mic and phone antenna. Having people sit in the back of my car and notice it's half falling apart was not acceptable, and I'd always wanted a black headliner to match the car and it's interior, so I decided to give it a make-over.

I began with a small piece, the sunroof control panel. That way I can form a technique for the larger more difficult sections.

I started by peeling away the old gray fabric. It left plenty of foam, as you can see in the top portion of the pic, which I later removed with a good scrubbing brush. You gotta make sure you get it real clean. I then wiped it down with alcohal to remove any other bits of dust. Next up was the spray adhesive and tacking the material on.

When you apply the spray adhesive (make sure it's a industrial/auto adhesive), I suggest you wait about 3-4 min until it dries a bit. This apparently helps the fabric adhere much better.

What I ended up with was a very nice, professional looking panel, if I may say so myself.

EDIT: The sun made the fabric tun out a lot lighter in this pic. :
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cS; 03-22-2004 at 09:08 PM. Reason: SEEMS LIKE A BETTER TITLE...

My Cars
    02 X5 4.6is
    Wow that looks delicious. :12:

Good job. Make sure you get some fully installed pics.
    93 318i red/tan - 131,xxx - bone stock daily driver
    02 x5 4.6is titanium silver/black alcantara - dinan stage 4 - eibach/bilstein - brembo 380/345mm bbk - 149k miles - sold
    95 m3 hellrot/black - dinan stage 1 - koni 1150 - arc8 - 155k miles - sold

My Cars
    Shopping cart magnet.
    Thanks EpDarks.

Next up: A pillars!

My Cars
    s62, 2JZ
    Where did you get the material?

Good job, BTW.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Coupe
    Lookin good bro, and to answer your question you can pick up the material at any fabric store.
    Proudly sponsored by ElusiveFX

My Cars
    Shopping cart magnet.
    Quote Originally Posted by WannaM
    Where did you get the material?

Good job, BTW.
    I got the stuff from a local upholstery material warehouse. 9.95/yard. :

Alright I finished the A pillar.

Wasn't too hard. The fabricon this peeled off real nicely as it doesn't have any foam backing. I simply applied the glue, tacked up the pieces and trimmed.

If I did it again, I would wrap the leading edge instead of cutting it flush as BMW did.

My Cars
    M3, 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by iDefi
    I got the stuff from a local upholstery material warehouse. 9.95/yard. :

Alright I finished the A pillar.

Wasn't too hard. The fabricon this peeled off real nicely as it doesn't have any foam backing. I simply applied the glue, tacked up the pieces and trimmed.

If I did it again, I would wrap the leading edge instead of cutting it flush as BMW did.
    VERY NICE! How did you remove the headliner and the pillar panels? Are there any tabs/etc. to watch out for? Easy to break anything?

Also, what do you plan on doing with the trim pieces like that edging strip that goes around the opening for the sunroof? Also, what about the sunroof panel? Can that be accessed easily?

LOOKS AWESOME and I can't wait for more pics! I've always wanted to do this but with black alcantara...Now I'm really getting the urge to do so!
    1997 328i Jet Black (Sold)
    1995 M3 Daytona Violet (SOLD)
    Planning his return to Bimmerdom...

My Cars
    Nissan Titan, M5
    looks good so far! Now do the big piece
    BFC Nikonian #1

My Cars
    F-Pace | E55 Wagon

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by cleoent
    looks good so far! Now do the big piece

YOUR SIG ROCKS CLEOENT!!!!

Seth the roof looks sweet, do more. :

My Cars
    Shopping cart magnet.
    Quote Originally Posted by JuBu
    VERY NICE! How did you remove the headliner and the pillar panels? Are there any tabs/etc. to watch out for? Easy to break anything?

Also, what do you plan on doing with the trim pieces like that edging strip that goes around the opening for the sunroof? Also, what about the sunroof panel? Can that be accessed easily?

LOOKS AWESOME and I can't wait for more pics! I've always wanted to do this but with black alcantara...Now I'm really getting the urge to do so!
    Thanks guys.

The first thing you have to do is remove the A & C pillars. They both have tabs so just pull them straight out. Then Take off the sunroof control panel and the visor hardware. Then you gotta loosen the door gaskets and get the B pillar loose. Oh and you also gotta remove the sunroof gasket. The Headliner should just fall down bassically after that.

Jury is still out on the sunroof gasket. I think what I'm going to do is dye it but I need to find a good dye first. As for the sunroof, I'm going to have to take that out anyways since it needs new lifters (if anyone is selling them lemme know).

I installed the 2nd pillar tonight and it looks awesome!!!

If you guys do this make sure you get foam backed fabric or else there will be bumps everywhere. Who knows, I might actually have a quieter cabin now with twice as much foam as stock.

Next up: C pillars

My Cars
    GX470
    Hey seth do you know of a good reupholstery shop around anywhere, I want to redo my seats.

My Cars
    E70 X5 , QX4 and an SC
    Your doing a very good job! I was wondering how did you take out the headliner out of the car?

My Cars
    M3, 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by iDefi
    Thanks guys.

The first thing you have to do is remove the A & C pillars. They both have tabs so just pull them straight out. Then Take off the sunroof control panel and the visor hardware. Then you gotta loosen the door gaskets and get the B pillar loose. Oh and you also gotta remove the sunroof gasket. The Headliner should just fall down bassically after that.

Jury is still out on the sunroof gasket. I think what I'm going to do is dye it but I need to find a good dye first. As for the sunroof, I'm going to have to take that out anyways since it needs new lifters (if anyone is selling them lemme know).

I installed the 2nd pillar tonight and it looks awesome!!!

If you guys do this make sure you get foam backed fabric or else there will be bumps everywhere. Who knows, I might actually have a quieter cabin now with twice as much foam as stock.

Next up: C pillars
    Thanks for the reply! How exactly do you go about removing the sunroof gasket? Is it glued to the headliner at all? Or is it just slid in place?

My Cars
    none
    Idefi ur a pimp... lol looks great!

My Cars
    Shopping cart magnet.
    Quote Originally Posted by JuBu
    Thanks for the reply! How exactly do you go about removing the sunroof gasket? Is it glued to the headliner at all? Or is it just slid in place?
    That's easy, just yank on it a bit and it will come out.

Here is the c-pillar I did today. The black shows really well.

I wrapped the fabric around the rear and bottom edge , unlike bmw, so no edges would be showing when installed. the leading edge was cut and is a bit wavy as you can see. That's normal and it will be inserted between the body and the window gasket where it's not even visible.

My Cars
    bmw
    that looks nice. post pics when you have it all together.
    Le Mans Blue 98 323is

My Cars
    '03 X5 4.4i Sport, E320
    Looks good, I'd love to see a picture of the back of the fabric you're using. How thick is the padding on there? I'm looking forward to seeing the final product.
    Todd Maurer
    Past - 5 E36s, 1 E39, 1 MB W210 E320, 1 GMC 6.5 ECLB, B6 A4 3.0 6 Spd Quattro
    Present - '05 E320 CDI, '06 VW TDI Jetta 5 Spd, '02 Ford F250 CCSB PSD, '02 Ducati Monster S4

Mods: 92* Thermostat, MB to BMW Wheel Adapters, 18" BMW Style 72 Wheels, Custom Mercedes-Benz Diesel Plate Frame

My Cars
    M3, 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by toddman35
    Looks good, I'd love to see a picture of the back of the fabric you're using. How thick is the padding on there? I'm looking forward to seeing the final product.

Yea...can you show us a pic of the fabric? Maybe a shot from the inner portion to show off the padding?

Looks awesome!

My Cars
    E36
    Quote Originally Posted by mpower310
    that looks nice. post pics when you have it all together.
    Yes, post pics! This is a really good idea. Some friends have left burn marks from their cigarettes on my headliner (who were then promptly banished from my car), so i think this would be good to get rid of any unwated marks, and to make the inside look uniform.

T

My Cars
    Shopping cart magnet.
    Finished the C-Pillars today and it's on to the headliner.

My Cars
    Shopping cart magnet.
    Here is a photo of the material I am using. Its quite a but thinker than OEM stuff which is good because it prevents bumps if the surface is not completely smooth. I am also guessing it will cut down on noise a bit.

My Cars
    E36
    I have a question for your Black Wasp...
    What are you going to do about the arm/hanger handles?( i dont know what they're called). They are inside the car, above the windows.
    I dont know about you, but mine are grey and are plastic. What are your plans for them?

T

My Cars
    M3, 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by 320Power
    I have a question for your Black Wasp...
    What are you going to do about the arm/hanger handles?( i dont know what they're called). They are inside the car, above the windows.
    I dont know about you, but mine are grey and are plastic. What are your plans for them?

T

You could get the black vinyl dye for those...Many have dyed door panels which are plastic and they've held up well I've heard.

My Cars
    Shopping cart magnet.
    Yah I may try the dye. If not I'll either delete them or buy some black ones.

My Cars
    E36 | E55 Wagon | W126
    That's pretty cool. Nice mod!
    Geordie Johnston - E36 Collector.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast