Thread: Vibration at speed (70mph+) when coasting??

My Cars
    2007 Z4///MC

Vibration at speed (70mph+) when coasting??

Trying to track down an issue I seem to be having. My car vibrates a bit when coasting at high speeds, not at low speeds at all, and not when under power at all at any speeds, just at high speed when coasting..

Just had some new rims put on, so might be best getting a proper balance. Alignment is fine as it drives very straight.

Bar the alignment, what else is likely?

ch

My Cars
    '99 Coupe
    I'd have the tires balanced again, especially if the tires are new. Do you feel the vibration in the steering wheel or in the seat? May help determine if the front or rear is causing the issues but either way, my bet is your tires are out of balance.

Just FYI, alignments don't typically cause vibrations. They can royally mess up handling, and steering input but typically no vibrations.

If a typical "spin" balance isn't cutting the vibration. Try to find a shop who has a "road force balancer".

Good luck.

My Cars
    See my signature
    It can also be the rims themselves...what kind are they?
    BMW
    1988 E30 M3: (STOLEN) Zinnabarot/Tan
    1991 850Ci (SOLD): Euro spec, Black/Black, Wokke Chips, Remus Exhaust, ACS Body Kit, 3.91 LSD
    1999 M Coupe (SOLD): (Euro S50B32), Estoril/Estoril/black, RE SSK, RK6A, RAID Steering wheel, R.Forbes sub-frame kit, ACS splitters/roof wing, Hi-perf. chip, Vibrant exhaust rear diffuser, ACS Type II Race wheels
    2002 M Coupe: (US Spec, S54) JET Black/Black, UUC SSK, RK6A, RAID Steering wheel, SS Powerflo headers/Custom Exhaust, 3.73 LSD, R.Forbes sub-frame kit, ACS splitters/roof wing, rear diffuser, SSR GT3 18" wheels
    2006 Mini Cooper S: Hyper Blue/white Top/blue-charcoal interior, Alta Supercharger pulley/cold air intake/light Crank pulley, Headers, OBX exhaust (Daily Driver)

My Cars
    2007 Z4///MC
    M3 rims, with shitty spacers at the rear 5 + 2 mill spacers in the rear..

My Cars
    Dinan BMW M ROADSTER, FERRARI 355/ E46 M3
    Bad tire
    drive it like you stole it

My Cars
    M Coupe
    It works out that critical resonance of car tires happens at ~35 and ~70 mph. You either have a balance issue or something like a broken belt. Broken belts will show up in funky tire wear.

Could also be a bad damper, wheel bearing, LCAB or suspension ball joint. Those are checked by jacking the car and yanking on a tire to check for play. Any movement (other then locking up the steering rack) is bad. Front wheel bearings will make a "loose marbles" sound when bad.

Outside chance that it's the guibo or other issue with the prop shaft. Bad ones start to fray and have lots of cracks in them.
    Last edited by osborni; 10-15-2012 at 09:55 AM.
    - Ian
    2000 M Coupe, stripped and DE prepped

46mm wheel bearing socket for rent - $30 deposit + $10 fee. PM for details.

My Cars
    2001z3 2.5
    Check tire pressures.
    Phil

My Cars
    :sraC
    Bent rim can also be an issue. I've changed all items in the front (bushings, tie-rods, suspension, even tires). It helped reduced the vibration, but my one front bent wheel still causes a slight shake and shimmy.
    If not a bent rim, definitely try to get a good rebalance. I've stopped going to my usual tire places because I've found other places with better balancing machines and better technicians.
    Last edited by AutoM3otives; 10-15-2012 at 02:48 PM.
    M3 E30 | 190E-16V | M Coupe E36/8 | S2000

My Cars
    2007 Z4///MC
    I understand it could be a bent rim or tire unbalance... However if that was the case, it would be a persistent shimmy/shake???
    Not just under coasting??? As it is not present under acceleration...????
    Oh I should add, not certain if it did or did not do this before the rim change as I pretty much did that (the rim change) when I got the car...
    Last edited by vanne; 10-21-2012 at 02:55 AM.

My Cars
    '96 BMW Z3 Roadster
    Have you checked your front brakes? The disks might be bent, or the calipers not working smoothly. Secondly have you checked your wheel bolts? When loose, even al little bit, it will cause vibration! Finally, have you cleaned the wheel hub before mounting the new rims?

1996 BMW Z3 1.8 Roadster
    1999 Volvo V40 (DD)

My Cars
    05 2.5 Z5
    You really have to tell us where you feel the vibration most.

That way we can determine what part we think could be affecting it.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Did it have the vibration before you had the new wheels installed? Do you still have the old ones? If you still have the old wheels and tires, put them back on and see if you still have the vibration. If not, it is in the new wheels/tires/spaces; if so, then it is in the drive train/suspension/brakes/motor (trans) mounts. The new wheels/tires/spacers are most suspect, but the vibration only occurring when not under load tends towards drive line and motor/trans mounts. Describe the vibration and conditions of occurrence in greater detail.