BAVToys

Thread: Angel Eyes Question

My Cars
    2004 BMW e46 330i

Angel Eyes Question

Hey Bimmerforums-
    I have a BMW e46 330i, and my Angel Eyes are currently hooked up to the fog lights. I'm kinda new to the whole BMW scene, as im 16 *yes, 16* and driving already, and I was wondering if there was a possible way to add a switch on the inside of the car so i can flip the switch and have the Angel Eyes on without having the fogs on, WHILE their still attached to the fogs.

This is so when I am parked and key is not in the ignition, I can just flip a switch and the Angel Eyes will come on.

Any help is appreciated, and, well, google doesn't help me at all.

Thanks!

-J
    Last edited by Justin Hans; 10-03-2012 at 08:28 PM.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323i
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Hans View Post
    my Angel Eyes are currently hooked up to the fog lights.

I was wondering if there was a possible way to add a switch on the inside of the car so i can flip the switch and have the Angel Eyes on without having the fogs on, WHILE their still attached to the fogs.

This is so when I am parked and key is not in the ignition, I can just flip a switch and the Angel Eyes will come on.
    Challenge accepted.

You would need to hardwire a switch inside the cabin to do this most easily and in a way that makes sense. It's not practical to have the AEs wired up to a switch alone because most of them are wired up to turn on when the key is in the ignition, on or off. However, you can momentarily turn them on if you wire them to your interior lights and also have the dimming effect as well, this way you can turn your halos on by pressing the lock/unlock button on your key fob (assuming yours works).

In order to hardwire the AEs to a switch, first you would need a place to put the switch, anywhere you think you can manage will be fine, for wiring purposes. Wire the AEs to a hot source (battery) and connect the ground to the negative terminal of the battery or bare metal body under a nut or something. Make sure the body isn't painted or else it won't complete the circuit. Don't mix positive and negative wires when you do this...

My picasso:

IG: ZeeZooM3

My Cars
    2001 325i
    great question and great answer with diagram. i did this exact same thing on my CBR1000rr with Audi style LEDs

My Cars
    2003 540i6 M Tech
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeeZoo View Post
    Challenge accepted.

You would need to hardwire a switch inside the cabin to do this most easily and in a way that makes sense. It's not practical to have the AEs wired up to a switch alone because most of them are wired up to turn on when the key is in the ignition, on or off. However, you can momentarily turn them on if you wire them to your interior lights and also have the dimming effect as well, this way you can turn your halos on by pressing the lock/unlock button on your key fob (assuming yours works).

In order to hardwire the AEs to a switch, first you would need a place to put the switch, anywhere you think you can manage will be fine, for wiring purposes. Wire the AEs to a hot source (battery) and connect the ground to the negative terminal of the battery or bare metal body under a nut or something. Make sure the body isn't painted or else it won't complete the circuit. Don't mix positive and negative wires when you do this...

My picasso:
    I think OP wanted to have this while also still having them wired off the fog lights as well, which would require diode isolation. I'll try to draw something up tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Hans View Post
    I was wondering if there was a possible way to add a switch on the inside of the car so i can flip the switch and have the Angel Eyes on without having the fogs on, WHILE their still attached to the fogs.

Ok assuming that you are looking for the following criteria:

• Key in, fog switch on = AEs & fogs on
    • Key in, fog switch off = AEs & fogs off
    • Key in, AE switch on, fog switch off = AEs on, fogs off
    • Key out, AE on = AEs on, fogs off

I drew this for an ignition only circuit but if you want to be able to use it with they key out of the ignition just change the "Ignition (+)" power source to a direct battery positive source. Just don't turn them on and forget for too long or you could have a dead battery in the morning.

If you are not familiar with diodes they are basically electronic check valves that allow current to flow one direction but not the other. Polarity does matter on a diode so if you go this route use multi meter to verify proper orientation; you don't want voltage to flow back to the fog light circuit from your switched circuit, otherwise the fogs would turn on whenever the AEs were on regardless of fog switch position. You can pick diodes up at Radio Shack.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by ApexOnYou; 10-27-2012 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    Audi A3
    In order to hardwire the AEs to a switch, first you would need a place to put the switch, anywhere you think you can manage will be fine, for wiring purposes. Wire the AEs to a hot source (battery) and connect the ground to the negative terminal of the battery or bare metal body under a nut or something. Make sure the body isn't painted or else it won't complete the circuit. Don't mix positive and negative wires when you do this.