Thread: Oil light, what does it mean?

My Cars
    BMW 318is E36, 530i E39

Oil light, what does it mean?

The other day after i turned my car off the oil ligh came on in the amber colour. (from what i understand this is the "low" oil light warning as aposed to when the symbol would be red as yto say "pull over now or you will kill the engine" warning light.

so i checked the oil level and it is sitting pretty much inbetween the low and high level notches.

the light has come come on a couple of times since but not consistantly. what could it mean? could it be a bad sensor? or warning for trans oil etc.??

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Have you added oil to bring it up to the full mark?
    The oil level sensor could be bad.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i-sport
    I would add sufficient oil to bring it to the full mark and see if you still get the same oil light. If so, you may indeed have a bad sensor.

larrym3711
    2001 540iA Sport

My Cars
    2000 E39 / 2011 M3
    Check your oil level first via dipstick and then if you're good with that it could be the oil level sender that has gone bad. It's an electrical sensor that bolts underneath the oil pan. All it does is sense the oil level and acts as a warning indicator on your dash.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Ditto the posts above...if you have NOT added any oil...and the car's dipstick registers below the FULL mark when you check....it could be that the light comes on when it senses that you are about 1.1 quarts low (that's when the oil light usually comes on):

When the oil light comes on (and is yellow) when the engine is turned off...it means you should check the level of your oil...(probably about a quart low)...see text in far right column:

Last edited by Qsilver7; 09-24-2012 at 06:19 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    BMW 318is E36, 530i E39
    Thanks for the response, so far i havnt topped the oil back up to the absolute full mark, still reading halfway between the two, bugt the light isn't comming on anymore after i turn the engine off, it's due for an oil chage soon so i guess i might take the sensor out and replace it if cost isnt to crazy

My Cars
    2001/2002 530i 1999 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael J View Post
    Thanks for the response, so far i havnt topped the oil back up to the absolute full mark, still reading halfway between the two, bugt the light isn't comming on anymore after i turn the engine off, it's due for an oil chage soon so i guess i might take the sensor out and replace it if cost isnt to crazy
    Agree with what others said but do not advise changing sensor just yet without further monitoring and using dipstick as a double check
    Could it be that you were parked on a non-level surface when the engine was shut off?