View Poll Results: Which do you consider more prestigious?

Voters
156. You may not vote on this poll
  • Merecedes

112 71.79%
  • BMW

44 28.21%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you consider BMW or Mercedes more prestigious?

My Cars
    M3
    sl55 loooks awesome.

bmw to me is more of a performance oriented. They are renown for their racing history and I love driving a bmw.

I think a young guy like me would like out of place if i was driving a s500 or a sl55.
    people would look at me weird and think im driving the parent's car.

ty but i will stick with my 330 for now

My Cars
    BMW testiclewart3
    BMW is mostly the choice of crack smoking pimps and Mercedes is mostly for drug dealers supplying the BMW lowlifes. Skoda is the future!

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by angryvagina View Post
    BMW is mostly the choice of crack smoking pimps and Mercedes is mostly for drug dealers supplying the BMW lowlifes. Skoda is the future!
    Im glad you bumped this 10 year old thread for this informative, very deep and extremely meaningful post. Quite thought provoking really.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3, 2014 M235i
    Quote Originally Posted by blackxs View Post

Im glad you bumped this 10 year old thread for this informative, very deep and extremely meaningful post. Quite thought provoking really.
    Now now, m threesome had some commentary in this thread, and that makes it d&g tie flapping in in the wind kind of gold.

Suspension: Bilstein Sports, GC Coilover conversion, IE Subframe Bushings, IE RTABs, M roadster sways, M roadster front control arms, M roadster Front calipers/hubs.
    Engine/Driveline: M54B30 intake Manifold, Dinan CAI, ZHP Cams, Headers, Underdrive pulleys, Conforti Software, 3.46 diff.

My Cars
    97 528, 95 525, 03 525
    Quote Originally Posted by fortysix View Post

:

Every MB owner I know is this exact same way.
    Don't know about the penis extension, but yeah totally.. I have seen a few Benz drivers who actually know how to park but that is not very often. Bmw is a driver's car in my eyes. Prestige? Depends on who is driving and how it's driven.

My Cars
    2008 BMW M3
    Mercedes, I love its symbol.

My Cars
    E30 (Delores), W123
    Mercedes, for the simple reason that their high end is much higher, and more convincing. Mercedes sells many $100,000+ models all day long... S Class, G Class, SL, CL, and many AMG's. They even easily get away with the SLS and even SLR in the past. Plus, Mercedes' history is much richer, and again they have a history of many top dollar cars (Gullwing, 600 Pullman, etc to name a few).

I really do see Mercedes as the top tier of engineering (and somewhat of design) - they really do have that feeling of quality and precision. I see BMW as a slightly less 'refined' brand, which is not a bad thing. But refinement = prestige.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by KevRC4130 View Post
    Mercedes, for the simple reason that their high end is much higher, and more convincing. Mercedes sells many $100,000+ models all day long... S Class, G Class, SL, CL, and many AMG's. They even easily get away with the SLS and even SLR in the past. Plus, Mercedes' history is much richer, and again they have a history of many top dollar cars (Gullwing, 600 Pullman, etc to name a few).

I really do see Mercedes as the top tier of engineering (and somewhat of design) - they really do have that feeling of quality and precision. I see BMW as a slightly less 'refined' brand, which is not a bad thing. But refinement = prestige.
    Mercedes actually puts lots of engineering and quality effort into their cars, which often leads to higher prices as well. Part quality and fit and finish is often much better, and chances are they'll have less "stupid" repairs like BMWs, but when something does go wrong, it will likely be bigger and more expensive to repair.

BMW is somewhat like a hot rod shop where quality and durability takes a back seat to performance. Sure, they'll ride and handle much better than a Benz, but Mercedes will go ahead and use 1 lb more of plastic in the cooling system and it will last twice as long.

My Cars
    2020 Mercedes S560
    More prestigious than what?

My Cars
    '88 735i, '06 RSX
    My mom was deciding between a 328I coupe and a C300, and opted for the C300. She is getting on in years, and preferred the softer, more luxurious ride of the C300. I think that overseas, the mentality of performance vs luxury also exists. Mercedes and BMW are both seen as major status symbols, but the Mercedes slightly more so. The only BMW over there that carries the same weight as Mercedes are the M series and 7 series.

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    Maybe this thread NEEDED to be bumped!

I'm gonna say Mercedes because I don't own one. Then again, this logic also makes the Yugo more prestigious, but, hey, it is what it is.

Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330Ci
    BMW - People who want a little luxury with their sport
    Mercedes - People who want a little sport with their luxury
    Audi - Those that can't decide
    VW- Those that can't afford the other three

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Silver
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverdogz View Post
    BMW - People who want a little luxury with their sport
    Mercedes - People who want a little sport with their luxury
    Audi - Those that can't decide
    VW- Those that can't afford the other three
    agreed.

My Cars
    E30 (Delores), W123
    Quote Originally Posted by ElleShooTiger View Post
    Mercedes actually puts lots of engineering and quality effort into their cars, which often leads to higher prices as well. Part quality and fit and finish is often much better, and chances are they'll have less "stupid" repairs like BMWs, but when something does go wrong, it will likely be bigger and more expensive to repair.

BMW is somewhat like a hot rod shop where quality and durability takes a back seat to performance. Sure, they'll ride and handle much better than a Benz, but Mercedes will go ahead and use 1 lb more of plastic in the cooling system and it will last twice as long.

Yup, I agree with this. What I like about Mercedes is that it seems like they aren't out to make a 'cool' car - instead they make a car the right way (without too much cost-cutting), which is why they are expensive.

My Cars
    ///M Roadster
    I think historically Mercedes was more prestigious. Nowadays neither of them are, since every Joe can go out and buy one.
    Cyrus Mistry

My Cars
    1997 M3/4/5
    I always carry some Grey Poupon in my BMW's sagging glovebox.

Maybe it's because I'm older, or have lived the past 10yrs in an area where expensive cars are commonplace, or how easy it is to lease nice cars these days, or the number of a-holes who drive certain cars because they feel it increases their clout, but I no longer associate cars with prestige.

I understand what the OP is asking tho and I'd definitely say Mercedes wins the uppity competition.

My Cars
    2004 BMW M3
    Mercedes is more prestige. They are known for their quality and reliability, which is why they are so highly priced. BMW is known for their luxury as well, but more for their exquisite driving.

epicimage is offline The Vinyl Answer BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    95 M3-94 MTech-81 CaddyD
    Mercedes always uses technology that other manufacturers won't have for another 10 years or more. Airbags, fully independent suspension, full-line crash testing, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by riffman12 View Post
    basically any of the slammed cars with stretched tires will run low 8's

My Cars
    1999 M3 , 1999 328is
    The local Benz dealer is super arrogant and snobby, so that equates to prestige to me. Benz makes nice cars but they always see, over priced for what you get.

People like to buy the 3 pointed star.

I really kind of bothers me when people look at my BMW and see it as a prestige or status symbol.
    Current fleet:
    1999 BMW e36 M3
    1999 BMW e36 328is with rotary valve engine head
    1999 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight
    1990 Jeep Comanche Eliminator
    1962 Austin Healey Sprite

My Cars
    1997 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by pizzaman09 View Post
    I really kind of bothers me when people look at my BMW and see it as a prestige or status symbol.
    Agreed.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i m sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Filip75 View Post
    I think they're on PAR. For older people it's Mercedes, for younger it's BMW
    Agreed

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by pizzaman09 View Post
    People like to buy the 3 pointed star.
    My mom has a 2006 Merc E350, and you feel so damn fancy seeing that star every second you're driving. When you drive a Benz, you KNOW you're driving a Benz.

My Cars
    2003.5 M3 Coupe,99M Coupe,99 M3 Vert
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammyzuko View Post
    I always carry some Grey Poupon in my BMW's sagging glovebox. Maybe it's because I'm older, or have lived the past 10yrs in an area where expensive cars are commonplace, or how easy it is to lease nice cars these days, or the number of a-holes who drive certain cars because they feel it increases their clout, but I no longer associate cars with prestige. I understand what the OP is asking tho and I'd definitely say Mercedes wins the uppity competition.
    That sums it up pretty well, these cars are all so commonplace and easily leased that if your looking for prestige and standing out you really have to move up to ferraris and bentleys. Of the two I think Mercedes is more prestigious.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    My neighbour once said, "Is that a V12?" when I had the bonnet open on my 530i. I felt proud and smiled a little bit. So, I guess, BMW then?

My Cars
    1991 330iS
    Definitely Mercedes. The resale values tell the whole story - prestige and luxury mean nothing after 2 years, but a fun bmw is timeless.

Avusblau 1994 Euro M3 --> Journal Here
    Lagunagrün 1991 331iS-->Journal Here

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast