Thread: removing manual headlight adjuster

My Cars
    00 328i, 03 540i

Thumbs up removing manual headlight adjuster

Question for you good Folks

In the middle of replacing a broken headlight adjuster on a 2003 xenon. Trying to use the no cut no detach the lens method. The broken adjuster is the longer narrower one (up down), not the one that looks like a canon. I do not know how to put it in and thread it onto the manual adjustment screw. Does the manual adjuster pull off perhaps? I just dont see how to gain enough leverage to hold the new adjuster into place without the manual wheels (the white and black gears) and the screw pulling all the way out or near out. And if they do pull out, do i just use pliers and pull straight out?

Thanks for the help

My Cars
    '99 528i/5, '01 Boobaru
    Sounds like you are using this DIY but I'll throw the link out anyway....

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1622291

My Cars
    00 328i, 03 540i
    yes that is correct...or was correct...
    i have moved on to hte "cut a hole" method. I got the adjuster in, but i do not understand how the ball goes into the socket...should it be snapped in, or "turned' in via the manual adjuster....thanks

My Cars
    '99 528i/5, '01 Boobaru
    Quote Originally Posted by KCSIII View Post
    yes that is correct...or was correct...
    i have moved on to hte "cut a hole" method. I got the adjuster in, but i do not understand how the ball goes into the socket...should it be snapped in, or "turned' in via the manual adjuster....thanks
    Until someone with the same car chimes in, I'll just say, on my pre-facelift units, the plastic adjuster ball tips snap (very hard) into the receiving parts on the metal frame that holds the reflector/projector.

I -don't know- if it's the same for 2003 facelift housings....

My Cars
    2003 540s, 2000 740s
    Yes, the ball just gets pushed into the "socket". You do need to use some force to get them attached. Try using something to make the ball end slippery to help slide it in (I used glycerin). It's a bit scary 'cause you feel like you're gonna break the socket.
    <== Steptronic Sealbeach740
    2000 740i sport: 74k Green/Tan chrome MPars, clear corners, quad brake lights, AIC hi-beams, Hoen fogs, 16x9 screen, MKIV, TFT LCD screen in back, license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, iPod audio/video (CDC/iPod audio switching, iPod video on 16x9 screen), Basslink, gauge rings, ///M pedals, switched steptronic +/- shifting mode, E46 paddle shifter steering wheel, Dinan engine & tranny software upgrade, DDEs controlled via Euro fog light switch, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, windows up/sunroof close via remote.

2003 540i sport: 81k, Sterling grey/grey, MKIV Nav, PDC & CWP - Added license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, paddle shift steering wheel, windows up/sunroof close via remote, Akebono's, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, quad brake lights, iPod audio via AUX mode/video via 16x9 screen, BMW TV tuner, ///M pedals & gauge rings.

My Cars
    2001 540i sport 6spd
    I think i snapped it together before putting it in. The job sucks and is borderline impossible.
    ~2001 540i/6speed~
    Schmiedman M5 headers, SPEC stage2+ kevlar clutch, JBR 11lb lightweight flywheel, ESS Tuning m60 manifold software tune, 3" SS freeflow OBX catback, afe cold air intake, m60 intake manifold, Cdv delete, powerflex urethane sway bar bushings, M5 rear sway bar ,Autozone replacement driver side blinker light bulb, 545 short shifter zhp weighted, "dsc off" sticker, m5 3.15 lsd differential, m5 chassis rods, akebono ceramic pads, G2 caliper epoxy, ecs braided lines, BC-Racing br-plus series w/swift springs 8/6~
    On the night that I go back in time, you will be shot by terrorists. Please take whatever precautions are necessary to prevent this terrible disaster.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by KCSIII View Post
    Question for you good Folks

In the middle of replacing a broken headlight adjuster on a 2003 xenon. Trying to use the no cut no detach the lens method. The broken adjuster is the longer narrower one (up down), not the one that looks like a canon. I do not know how to put it in and thread it onto the manual adjustment screw. Does the manual adjuster pull off perhaps? I just dont see how to gain enough leverage to hold the new adjuster into place without the manual wheels (the white and black gears) and the screw pulling all the way out or near out. And if they do pull out, do i just use pliers and pull straight out?

Thanks for the help
    I just finished replacing adjusters on my angel eye HID lights a few days ago. Those adjusters are very tricky to install. I spent hours fiddling them into position.

I followed the DIY link suggested by pleiades above
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1622291
    You will find the first post is missing pictures. Further into the thread is a post with a PDF with the pictures
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...9&postcount=30

FWIW, the long narrow adjuster you mention is the lateral (side to side) adjuster, rather than the vertical. Not that it matters much.

My comments below are addtions to, not deviations from the DIY. Ben's method works. I highly recommend following it as written. And my comments are for the lateral adjuster only, which is what you asked about. No pictures, Ben's DIY has some & I couldn't do any better.

When I say up or down, it assumes the light assy is upside down.as recommended by the DIY.

Extracting the old lateral adjuster.
    If the adjuster is largely intact with the ball still engaged in the socket on the reflector do not try to detach them while still inside the light assy. A lot of force is required and you will probably break the reflector assy - at which point you can stop and go buy a new light assy -> $$$$.
    Using a Torx screwdriver, release the socket part from the reflector assy. Push, prop the reflector assy upward and forward to make room for the adjuster to move forward. Then rotate the adjusting nut on the back of the case CCW as in loosening a bolt. (You may have to rotate the socket on the ball to clear the reflector.) The adjuster will be pushed forward until it falls off the end of the threaded metal screw inside the case/assy. Remove the parts: shake them out if in pieces, extract using long tweezers or forceps if largely intact.

Separating the ball and socket once out of the light assy.
    You need to reuse the socket part. On one side of the socket is a tab that can be pushed back to semi-release the ball. Use a tiny screwdriver to depress the tab and lever the ball out with pliers or a second small screwdriver with the other hand. A third hand would be really useful here but it is doable with just two. I don't think the ball and socket can be separated by brute force, i.e. without depressing the tab. Snapping the ball into the socket is easier, requires much less force.

Installing the new lateral adjuster
    Get tweezers or better yet, locking forceps around 8" long. Have a 10 mm nutdriver at hand.
    Push the reflector assy as far forward and upward (i.e. toward bottom of light case, assy is upside down remember). Socket not installed.
    Grip the adjuster with the forceps in the adjuster's top slotted portion, so flat side is down. Position it inside the light case on the guide rails (slot to locate the the new adjuster) with the metal adjuster screw. You need to insert the adjuster full foward and then slide it back toward you into the slot.
    Reach in with a finger to hold the adjuster down in the slot, release the forceps, then slide the adjuster further backward toward yourself against the metal adjusting screw. Once the new adjuster touches the metal screw, use the nutdriver in the other hand to turn the back nut CW, as if tightening a screw. You don't need much force backward, the metal screw thread will engage and pull the adjuster into engagement.

EDIT: @#$%^* I just remembered that my first gazillion attempts failed because I did not have the reflector pushed forward and upward far enough, so that I wasn't getting the adjuster far enough forward to engage properly in the guides. Work the reflector until you're sure it is at its maximum extent.

Be prepared for frustration. The new adjuster will want to tip & fall out of position; the slot you're aiming for allows a lot of wobble until the metal screw engages the new adjuster. It took me dozens of attempts. When it does finally slide in correctly one is left with the impression "that was easy, what the dickens did I do wrong before."

Last point not covered in the DIY; snapping the ball into the socket.
    I didn't want to yank on the refelctor and risk cracking it. Instead, I used a 2 foot length of fine piano wire. Made a loop and snaked it behind the socket. Wrapped the free end around a screwdriver shaft as a handle. A pull of roughly 3 or 4 pounds snapped the two together. Unwrap the wire, pull one end to extract it from the light case. String would work too, but looping string around behind the socket would be tricky.

Regards
    RDL
    Last edited by rdl; 09-18-2012 at 11:17 AM.

My Cars
    00 328i, 03 540i
    thank you guys for responding, and RDL, can't thank you enough for the most excellent write up. Unfortunately for me, I also learned that although it appears to be intact (wishful thinking since I cannot see the entire thing), I need to replace both adjusters if the long thin one controls left right.....I will let you guys know.
    Last edited by KCSIII; 09-18-2012 at 06:26 PM.

My Cars
    00 328i, 03 540i
    Finished up today using the cut a hole method. can't thank you guys enough for your links, tips tricks and write ups. this is a wonderful forum with many generous folks! 'll post some pics for.future referenceso people can see the size holes I cut. thanks again!