Thread: Can I connect a Ipod adapter to a RDS Radio?

My Cars
    BMW 850

Can I connect a Ipod adapter to a RDS Radio?

I have the RDS radio in my car from a 1993 car that I just put in with the cables and amps. Can I get a ipod integrations system and is there a chance to upgrade the amp?

Since no one is able to help me and searching didnt also help I will ask again

Also can I connect the CD43 and listen to music or will I have to get this radio?

Last edited by Fatandre; 08-21-2012 at 06:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    '01 740i, '99 528iT
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatandre View Post
    I have the RDS radio in my car from a 1993 car...Can I get a ipod integrations system...
    Here in America, only I-bus radios from about '96-on accept an aux input. These include the C33, C43, and CD43 radios. I've been using the CD43 for a long time. There are many ways to connect an iPod, a much discussed topic already...do a search (or see my write-up).

Frankie
    Texas, USA
    frankies-bmw.com

My Cars
    1996 BMW 850CI
    All you need is R17 cable, Dice, and CD43 radio. Super easy installation. I am going to do a write up as soon as I get my iPod cradle. With this setup, there is no messing with ibus/mbus cables.

My Cars
    1994 850csi rhd
    How about cracking open an Airport express and wiring it to 12v and Aux audio.....wireless audio streaming would be pretty cool. I'm going to fit one into my car some day soon.

My Cars
    BMW 850
    But since my car has and RDS system. Can I just hook up the CD43? Will it play?

My Cars
    I've already told you, It wont play. Becker radios, dual module, has different wirings than single module radios, you have to exchange cables

My Cars
    BMW 850 CSI
    from what I know is that th CD43 is not a becker
    Last edited by MADMAXER; 08-24-2012 at 04:13 AM. Reason: typo

My Cars
    CD43 is Blaupunkt. At this moment Fatandre has Backer in his car.

My Cars
    BMW 850
    Quote Originally Posted by quest View Post
    CD43 is Blaupunkt. At this moment Fatandre has Backer in his car.
    So the CD43 will work.

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    Fatandre: If your current head unit is the "BMW Bavaria C Professional" (with or without RDS), you cannot exchange it with the CD43 (or any other head unit for that matter). If you current head unit is not the "BMW Bavaria C Professional", it should be a plug-and-play swap.

My Cars
    btw, do you know about BMW Professional RDS compatibility with ibus cd changers (and all ipod adapters), this info isnt included in any manuals or documentation.
    youtube.com/watch?v=fNFPx0whgLE (this is not my video)

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    quest: The first generation of the BMW Professional RDS (Becker BE2450) is not I-bus compatible (M-bus only). The second generation (BE2455), which looks exactly the same, is I-bus compatible but sadly does not support CD-TEXT. That means attached I-bus devices cannot print text to the display. That's a shame because it's got a much larger display than the CD43...

My Cars
    are You sure ? I've tested one 2450 unit and it was compatible. CD-Text is not a problem, we have MID I'm going to make emulator which uses both Prof RDS and MID.

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    quest: Really? I've never tested my BE2450 with an I-bus cd changer, multifunction steering wheel or mp3 adapter, but heard from other owners that it doesn't work while the BE2455 does work (I know you shouldn't trust on hearsay but you can't test everything yourself ). The original cd changer that was installed along with the BE2450 in my E31 was definitely not an I-bus cd changer, though.

My Cars
    I dont know history of my radio but on the sticker there is definitely BE2450 and I've already made all necessary tests for ibus changer protocol commands with positive results. Now, I am searching for hardware platform to write software which handle ibus protocol in e31.

My Cars
    BMW E32 IAL V8 4.0 1993
    Hello! BE2450 have iBus. It compatible with standart iBus/CD-emulator with USB and SD card
    Search on Youtube "BMW Professional RDS + USB part2" and find video from xxxBAVARxxx
    Last edited by Slex; 01-10-2013 at 05:55 PM.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 840
    This thread is of great interest to me.
    I have the BE2455.
    I was either going to bypass the CD input and/or find a way to wire an Aux In to the Tape inputs on the circuit board.
    I'm guessing that the CD bypass will just show CD 1 and lots and lots of tracks (and the CD changer becomes dead weight?).
    I'm guessing the tape route won't show/do anything, so I'd use the MP3 player's display/controls - but keep the CD player...

My Cars
    BMW E32 IAL V8 4.0 1993
    Hello again.
    I shot a video, though in Russian, which shows that Becker BE2450 installed in my E32 works with the emulator CD-Changer Grom Audio and module MID from E38. And it`s work well =)
    Last edited by IcemanBHE; 04-17-2014 at 01:57 AM.

My Cars
    1994 e31, Porsche Macan
    I'm interested in this thread also -- would like to install an adaptor for my iPhone 5 to play music and, hopefully, blue-tooth connection for the phone. Andre, I installed the CD43 and it was plug-and-play, although it does not operate the trunk-mounted CD player (no big loss). I'll send you a PM with the installation instructions and owners manual.
    Frankie, thanks for your write-up. Do you know if the iPod instructions also apply to the iPhone (at least for music)?
    Life's too short to drive boring cars --
    • 1988 M6 (e24) - Zinnoberrot/Pearl Beige (sold )
    • 1994 850 Ci (e31) - Orient Blue Metallic/LtSilverGray
    • 2017 Porsche Macan - Night Blue Metallic